DIY Bippity Boppity Boutique?

D-ko

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have links to a website tutorial or YouTube video that shows (specifically) how to make the princess hair bun (not just an experience at BBB)?

I've watched countless hours of squirming children in chairs at BBB (;)) and it's very difficult to see exactly HOW the fairy godmother's do that particular bun.

I've found tutorials on the web that claim it's a BBB-style bun, but it's just a bun, with a tiara on it - not the same elegant bun they make at BBB. I have a general idea, but I would love to see it done, up close, in detail.

I've spent so many hours looking for this! Can anyone help? A million thanks in advance!

I haven't seen a video, but I have done it myself many times. There are a couple of tricks have learned.
1. LOTS of hair gel. That is how they get all the baby hairs and flyaways to stay in, and given the height of the pony tail it is the only real way to get it right unless the girl has super long hair.

2. Make the ponytail higher than you think you need to. It has to be right in the ceter of the top of thier head. Most poeple put it back close to the crown.

3. Tiny ponytail holders down the length of the hair. Makes wrapping easier.

4. Rather than wrapping like a traditional bun, roll from front to back, then fan it out and use bobby pins and spary to hold it down.

I do know they use a special hair gel that holds very well, but washes out just as easily.

They brush it up in a very high pony and secure with a pony tail holder, sometimes two depending on the thickness. I want to say one used multiple holders at varying spaces down the pony, but my DD has long hair. Then it is wraped around and pinned. Many, many pins. Then sprayed liberally with hair spray. Tiara is added, then a sprinkling of pixie dust.

I used to be horrible at buns, so I watched very intently as my DD use to wear her hair that way for dance recital. I just wish I had their hair gel.

Thank you all - between all these posts - I've got my answer!

THE UNICORN HORN - the key piece of information I was missing! Thank you!

Also, I was not putting the ponytail up high enough, so thank you!

The first link was the "fake" bun I was referring to! ;)

I wonder if hairspray will do? Gels reminds me of growing up in the 80s (remember dippity do? yuck! hahahaha)

I'm going to go home and "practice" .. I wonder if you roll the unicorn horn forward or backward? I guess I'll just have to practice!

Thank you everyone and thanks for the super fast responses! yay!! princess:

You might also want to check youtube for things like "ballet hair" and "ballet bun" or "practice bun". The bun they do is similar to ones most girls have to wear for ballet practice and most parents need instructions at first. Good luck!

i have done my own buns in the park with the girls tiara (i know silly but once it was for MNSSHP). i have thicker curly hair that is medium length. I dampen the hair (basically soak the hair on top that i want super smooth) and use a mousse. it is more natural and does a pretty good job of holding back the fly aways without being too stiff. i used gel when i was younger, if you look for a gel for curly hair it tends to be less stiff and goop like. again to prevent frizz if you put it on damp hair it does a better job.

one final tip to offer, if your tiara tarnishes in between tips, silver polish can shine it up. i took tiffany polish to mine and it looks fantastic, it was mostly black from three years in storage;)

Thank you all - between all these posts - I've got my answer!

THE UNICORN HORN - the key piece of information I was missing! Thank you!

Also, I was not putting the ponytail up high enough, so thank you!

The first link was the "fake" bun I was referring to! ;)

I wonder if hairspray will do? Gels reminds me of growing up in the 80s (remember dippity do? yuck! hahahaha)

I'm going to go home and "practice" .. I wonder if you roll the unicorn horn forward or backward? I guess I'll just have to practice!

Thank you everyone and thanks for the super fast responses! yay!! princess:
Hairspray does not do as well as the gel, but Got to B Glued brand hairspray will come close if you soak the hair in it. I prefer gel for this because it is easier to work with. The hair gets stiff too fast with hairspray.

You roll the unicorn horn backwards. You want the roll behind the pony tail holder, not in front.

I am a veteran dance and cheer mom, so I have had to do hair that will stay all day for a long time, and often get it done quickly! Let me know if I can be of any more help.

I did my niece's hair two years ago and never did the unicorn horn (it was missing from all the YouTube videos I watched).

I did however leave curls hanging down the back. I had a few CM's say they don't usually do that at BBB. I told them I did it. I also had a lot of mom's comment on her hair.

I liked the look better than the way BBB does it for her hair since it was so cute with the curls.

Here's one I found that shows it quite well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLkkj9tVOxo Starts about 4:40
This one's good too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyrvvZLfTDU

Does anyone have links to a website tutorial or YouTube video that shows (specifically) how to make the princess hair bun (not just an experience at BBB)?

I've watched countless hours of squirming children in chairs at BBB (;)) and it's very difficult to see exactly HOW the fairy godmother's do that particular bun.

I've found tutorials on the web that claim it's a BBB-style bun, but it's just a bun, with a tiara on it - not the same elegant bun they make at BBB. I have a general idea, but I would love to see it done, up close, in detail.

I've spent so many hours looking for this! Can anyone help? A million thanks in advance!

Also you can google "Rainbow Bun" Because thats what it is. We use this style of bun all the time for dance competitions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter