Divorced parent and child has different name at the airport.

My DGS is 4 and very animated around people he knows. We were out once and a lady asked him his age , he got bashful crossed his arms over his chest and said "stranger" ... that would be my luck with a TSA person:bitelip:

I know before I take my nieces and nephews I go over the whole thing about the TSA is something we have to respect and we need to be serious and answer the questions in a polite fashion etc because I could see that happening with some of my kids too.

Liz

Correct. The only time a child needs id is when they travel as a lap baby and that depends upon the airline. The TSA is not allowed to ask for I'd of kids under 18.

True and to add I would not take a birth certificate either She won't need anything from the ex she has the right to travel with her child

My daughter isn't even required to show ID at our home airport although I've always had it in hand. MCO will glance at it, but that's it from my experiences. Haven't flown since 2009 though.

I get nervous with this every trip, too, but have never had a problem (knock on wood!) The last trip, the TSA agent checking our tickets actually asked my 10-year-old daughter how to spell her last name, but she was just far enough away that we couldn't whisper it to her had she not known it for some reason (say it wasn't really her). I really appreciated it and thanked the agent. Although, my first flight with her, both of our last names were spelled wrong on the boarding passes but no one noticed... Even mine when I gave them my ID.... Hmmmm...:confused3

We have never had any issues and have traveled with our biological children, step children, adopted kids, children of all races, etc. We were our own personal rainbow coalition on one recent Disney trip. That being said, I always have a note with me if it is a step child or child that not "mine". Usually a simple handwritten note saying I have permission to travel with the child and to seek emergency medical treatment.

My DD has a different last name as I do. We have traveled numerous times and never were questioned. Last trip we took her friend. 6 people 3 different last names and no one cared. The just called out their names to make sure they matched their boarding passes.

Even though our minor children have our last name & no ID's, the TSA agents have asked them questions about where they are going, coming from, etc. It sounds like 'small talk' as they are really confirming everything is okay. They don't check their tickets off & let them go through the scanners until a couple questions are asked & answered. Happened on both our WDW & Disneyland trips.

Even though I kept my married name for the sake of my kids, when we traveled when they were younger I always had a notarized note from my ex stating he knew of our travel plans. Never once was I asked for documentation while taking the kids anywhere, domestic or abroad. But it's always a good thing to have. I wouldn't carry divorce decrees, birth certs, or any other docs like that simply because I know how quickly things like that can vaporize while in my custody!!:rotfl:

TSA is getting a bit more lenient with children. We flew to Hawaii this past April, I had copies of their birth certificates with me. When approaching the agent that checks tickets to IDs, I passed him my kids birth certificates. He said they were not needed, without even looking at them. On our return flight, I didn't bother even pulling them out.

PS. Children under 12 (and seniors) are no longer required to remove shoes while going through security.

I have been asked for a letter of permission even though we have the same last name once when travelling without DH, we were crossing international borders though so that may have made a difference.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. My husband and children use his surname, but I kept my maiden name. I've traveled with one or more of the kids by myself and I've never had a problem at the airport.

I have been asked for a letter of permission even though we have the same last name once when travelling without DH, we were crossing international borders though so that may have made a difference.

It was probably because of crossing international borders. I have traveled with my grandkids and have never been asked for ID for them or even why I was traveling with them. At my age, it was obvious that I was not their mother.:rotfl::rotfl: With my older's son's boys, I do have their parents get a notarized statement stating they they can travel with me and that I can get them any medical treatment needed. Usually only my son or my D-I-L signs it though. My elder son is divorced and also has a daughter from his first marriage. When traveling with her, I get a separate notarized statement from each of her parents, but that's just in case my ex-D-I-L gets mad at my son and current D-I-L while I'm gone and decides to pull something.:rotfl::rotfl: Actually I get along fine with my ex D-I-L and she loves for me to take my GD places, (since she lives with her and it gives her a break).:rotfl:

I have travelled with kids that had different last names and obviously not my biological children. No one batted an eye. We carry a foster placement letter but that's more for medical emergencies. I never has been asked for anything.

I've never had anyone even question it. My boys both have a different last name from my husbands and mine. I never brought any of my divorce papers either.
But I heard if you are going out of the country not only do you need to bring your divorce/custody paper's you also need to bring a notarized letter from your ex saying that it is ok for you to take your child out of the US for vacation purposes only.

(I did write up a paper saying the same for my vacations to WDW when the boys were younger and had it notarized but no one ever asked for it.)

We live in Ontario, Canada and always fly out of Buffalo. I always get a notarized letter from DDs dad but have never been asked for it. In October she was 15 & all they did was ask her questions and that was at the border, nothing at the airport. My DD and I have different last names as I am remarried.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We are flying out of BWI. I am going to have her bring all the documents with her. I will also have her get a noterized statement regarding medical, as shr does have full custody and joint legal. Thanks again everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter