Diving Certification

100%Disney

<font color=9999FF>On the lookout for a good sushi
My DS19 wants to get his diving certification this year. I really know nothing about diving. We live right outside Charlotte, NC. I am looking for advice. What do we need to look for in instruction? How many classes do you usually take to get certified? What is the average cost of everything? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

He really wants to get certified before next summer. He plans to go diving in the Keys.

I don't have the answers to your questions, but is he in college and can he take it as a class? My DS is taking it this semester as a class in college for a PE credit.

I don't have the answers to your questions, but is he in college and can he take it as a class? My DS is taking it this semester as a class in college for a PE credit.

No, he's in senior year of high school.

When I took mine last year it was 199.00 for 6 classes, then two days of open water. I had to pay a boat fee of $45.00 but most of the time you don't get certified off of a boat.

I think I'll call around to see what is available in this area.

Hmmm...I'm trying to remember. My DS13 got certified as soon as he turned 10. I remember there being actual classroom classes and the written test. I remember at least 4 classes in the pool. Then he did his certification dives in Turks and Caicos.

He loves it and I'm sure your DS will too!!!

Hmmm...I'm trying to remember. My DS13 got certified as soon as he turned 10. I remember there being actual classroom classes and the written test. I remember at least 4 classes in the pool. Then he did his certification dives in Turks and Caicos.

He loves it and I'm sure your DS will too!!!

I think it will be great for him. He loves the ocean.

DD got certified 2 summers ago. She attended a week long day camp that was $325 and included the classes, the boat for the certification dives, use of a wet suit, and the testing.

DD got certified 2 summers ago. She attended a week long day camp that was $325 and included the classes, the boat for the certification dives, use of a wet suit, and the testing.

It would be nice to be closer to the ocean. I think we would have more options.

I think it would make sense for him to do it ON vacation. A lot of divemasters offer certification packages that you do in several days, specifically at resort areas.

I became certified as an open diver about 3 years ago. The classes and certification were actually a Christmas present from my employer.

The process included 10 hours of classroom time, 10 hours of pool time, and 4 check out dives done in a quarry. Class and pool at the YMCA. I did have to purchase a mask, fins, snorkel, booties and pay for a rental wetsuit for the checkout dives. That could easily be another $150 or more on top of the certification class.

From beginning to certification, it was probably about a month or so long. A total of 5 classes, both classroom and pool time. That was done in about 3 weeks. Then a few weeks later we went to the quarry for our certification dives. Come to think of it, we actually went to the quarry twice.

I highly recommend that he gets certified before vacation. It is intensive, time-consuming training. I would want to go to the Keys ready to dive and explore, not to sit in a classroom.

Definitely get certified before vacation. I did it many many years ago and it was a great experience. The resort courses are to much to quick...I would prefer having the time to really learn and understand.

I wanted it to be a Christmas gift, but I don't know about diving around here that time of year. The water would be extremely cold. Wouldn't the equipment be more expensive for cold water?

I thought it was great to do in the winter. We got the classes and pool part out of the way, then scheduled the open water part for spring.

Great gift! Call your local community college and see if you have a dive store to check into classes!

I wanted it to be a Christmas gift, but I don't know about diving around here that time of year. The water would be extremely cold. Wouldn't the equipment be more expensive for cold water?

Just get a GC to the dive shop that you will use. Get the classes and certification in before the Keys trip.

Check out local dive shops. Me and my DD (11, 10 at the time) did our certification classes together over 1 1/2 days, took our test, and then did a day and a half of pool training. I then did my final cert dives in Hawaii, while she did hers at Table Rock in Missouri. While mine were a whole lot cooler and more fun than hers, hers were a lot less expensive!

Your DS can do all of his training up to his open water dives locally, and then transfer his certification to a dive shop in the Keys to do his final 4 open water dives, pretty easy.

He will need to at least have his own mask, snorkel, fins and booties, which can cost lots and lots, but probably will be around $150, get decent to good fins, and a good mask.

Check out local dive shops. Me and my DD (11, 10 at the time) did our certification classes together over 1 1/2 days, took our test, and then did a day and a half of pool training. I then did my final cert dives in Hawaii, while she did hers at Table Rock in Missouri. While mine were a whole lot cooler and more fun than hers, hers were a lot less expensive!

Your DS can do all of his training up to his open water dives locally, and then transfer his certification to a dive shop in the Keys to do his final 4 open water dives, pretty easy.

He will need to at least have his own mask, snorkel, fins and booties, which can cost lots and lots, but probably will be around $150, get decent to good fins, and a good mask.

That sounds good. I wouldn't mind doing the pool training here and the dives elsewhere. The local dive shop offers dives all over the world. There's one off the NC coast.

Any suggestions on which fins and mask?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter