Disturbing Story out of Penn State

I am tired of all of the media attention focusing on Joe Paterno. I have barely heard Sandusky’s name, he’s out on bail and no one seems concerned to focus on the true criminal in all of this. I am tired of everyone focusing on Joe Paterno and what he should have done, could have done, etc. He did legally what the CPSL said he was to do. Is it wrong that he didn’t pursue this further, to call the cops himself, yes of course it’s wrong and I am disgusted by his lack of action? Why aren’t we hearing more about McQueary, who was promoted to coach shortly after his 2002 report of seeing what was happening in the shower, where is he at in all of this?

And what are we all to think of DA Gricar disappearing, his computer hard drive being found in the Susquehanna River with data that could not be retrieved. Makes me think that he had some dark secrets that he took with him to the grave, or to wherever he has ended up these days. He had a chance to go after Sandusky and did not.

I’m wondering if the parents of some of these children were not “paid off” to keep quiet, because I think about the mother of the one victim, why did she not do more, why did she not report this herself to CYS?

I am a PROUD Penn State Alumnus, I though am in a state of complete awe, shock, disbelief and sorrow of what is going on at my dear alma mater. My Happy valley image is all of sudden cloudy and gloomy. I think that these heinous crimes were going on during my time at Penn State, during my time of having a relationship with a football player and having on numerous occasions, encounters with Sandusky – never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that man and so many others capable of allowing innocent boys to be victimized.

I hadn't even thought about the parents of these boys. I am thinking they may not have known what happened. But I could see some rich alumnus paying off a mother or two. I mean this is football. Got to win those games.

I'm from PA, and I sure as heck don't bleed blue. My heart bleeds and breaks for those little boys. IMHO anyone who could have stopped it should have. And Paterno, as the face of PSU for all intents and purposes should have been the first one to stand up and do it. "Victory with honor" my behind.

Well I'm bleeding blue... this whole thing is just such a f up on every ones part.. It should have ended when McQueary saw it.. the end..not after he talked to his dad, not after he talked to JoePa... that night Jerry should have had his *** thrown in jail and locked away for good.. Now he's out on bail, McQueery will still be coaching after this year (I'm assuming) and after 61yrs Joe is calling it quits because his bosses had their heads up their ***** after he did what he was supposed to do... My whole family is sad about this.. my cousin (first cousin not some distant person I dont really know) played def. line for him from 2002-2006

He announed he was done at the end of the season if you haven't heard here is his statement http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/38054/joepas-statement-on-retirement-from-psu

Here's the full statement from Paterno:
I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.
I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.
That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.
This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.
My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this university.

The most significant line: "I wish I had done more."

He announced he was done at the end of the season

Once again, the great and powerful JoePa gets to have it on his terms.

This hiccup isn't going to inconvenience him one bit.

I'm convinced he was going to retire after this season anyway.

Somebody at Penn State needs to tell this guy to gather his belongings and get off the property, today.

Ugh, hard to believe these words need to even be spoken.

How many of us had to speak with our children (yet again) over these last few days about not letting a coach or other grown-up (whom you may trust) touch you or coax you into something sexual. It's a shame when you feel as if you cannot trust anyone in these positions of power.

The most heart wrenching parts of the Grand Jury report were the stories about the young boys who tried to distance themselves physically from Sandusky but were not able to keep him away. I know that as a parent we told our children when they were very young to trust their instincts about bad touches, to get away and get help. Reading these stories, it was obvious that these young boys internal alarms were going off about Sandusky but no one was there to help. My heart just broke reading about the boys who tried to sit on the far side of the car to keep Sandusky's hands off of them. And then the boys who tried to shower in the farthest stall but Sandusky came after them. It makes me cry.

This morning I heard a report from someone who had been molested as a young child and he talked about how you can look into the eyes of a molested child and see how their childhood glean is gone. Years ago my husband coached in a local youth league made up of underprivileged children. These boys all lived in the worst projects and many of the fathers were in prison. I can remember the glean in those boys eyes. They responded to any attention that they were given. It still makes me sad to remember how excited they got at the littlest things. I am outraged at someone taking advantage of kids who need so much.

And by the way, when my husband had to give these kids rides home or to games outside of their neighborhood we always made sure that another adult was present. I went along on many rides just to make sure that everything looked OK. When you are dealing with other peoples children those are the steps you take. We knew this as 20-somethings involved in a youth league. How could those involved in this Penn State mess not know that?

I am tired of all of the media attention focusing on Joe Paterno. I have barely heard Sandusky’s name, he’s out on bail and no one seems concerned to focus on the true criminal in all of this. I am tired of everyone focusing on Joe Paterno and what he should have done, could have done, etc. He did legally what the CPSL said he was to do. Is it wrong that he didn’t pursue this further, to call the cops himself, yes of course it’s wrong and I am disgusted by his lack of action? Why aren’t we hearing more about McQueary, who was promoted to coach shortly after his 2002 report of seeing what was happening in the shower, where is he at in all of this?

I am a PROUD Penn State Alumnus, I though am in a state of complete awe, shock, disbelief and sorrow of what is going on at my dear alma mater. My Happy valley image is all of sudden cloudy and gloomy. I think that these heinous crimes were going on during my time at Penn State, during my time of having a relationship with a football player and having on numerous occasions, encounters with Sandusky – never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that man and so many others capable of allowing innocent boys to be victimized.

We aren't hearing more about Sandusky because there's just not much to say about him. He's a horrid evil man who will soon have his day in court. With any luck at all, he'll soon be in a jail cell with a thug named Bubba and Guards who care exactly as much about his well being as McQueery et al. cared about the well being of those little boys. Everyone knows there is evil in the world, so the fact that someone did something horrible like this doesn't require a lot of discussion.

What IS suprising/disheartening/revolting is that otherwise good people - people you had every reason to trust and respect - allowed such evil to happen. THAT is, at least to me, what is so harrowing about this situation. One depraved person happens. Litterally dozens of peopel chosing to allow this to continue... unimaginable. Joe Pa is getting the press because that's the heirarchy at Penn State over the last 40+ years. Joe Pa is in charge of that football department and has worn that mantle fiercely and proudly. With great power, comes great responsibility. When faced with responsibility for the safety of a child, he - at the very least - chose willing blindness to the situation. As did McQueery, the AD, and probably the University President and others. They are all as guilty as Joe Pa. But Joe Pa is on the cover of the paper because Joe Pa has spent the last 40 years building up the authority and reputation of being on the cover of the paper.

As for McQueery, I'm with you - he should be fired on the spot as well.

As I've said, my sister is a proud PSU alum as well. She graduated in 2004, so was there when this crap was going on. Don't let this define your university or your diploma. Be proud of the world class education you have received and the great things you've done with that education since then. PSU is made up of 500,00+ graduates, the vast, vast majority of whom are making the world a better place. THAT is who yells "We Are Penn State."

The most heart wrenching parts of the Grand Jury report were the stories about the young boys who tried to distance themselves physically from Sandusky but were not able to keep him away. I know that as a parent we told our children when they were very young to trust their instincts about bad touches, to get away and get help. Reading these stories, it was obvious that these young boys internal alarms were going off about Sandusky but no one was there to help. My heart just broke reading about the boys who tried to sit on the far side of the car to keep Sandusky's hands off of them. And then the boys who tried to shower in the farthest stall but Sandusky came after them. It makes me cry.

This morning I heard a report from someone who had been molested as a young child and he talked about how you can look into the eyes of a molested child and see how their childhood glean is gone. Years ago my husband coached in a local youth league made up of underprivileged children. These boys all lived in the worst projects and many of the fathers were in prison. I can remember the glean in those boys eyes. They responded to any attention that they were given. It still makes me sad to remember how excited they got at the littlest things. I am outraged at someone taking advantage of kids who need so much.

And by the way, when my husband had to give these kids rides home or to games outside of their neighborhood we always made sure that another adult was present. I went along on many rides just to make sure that everything looked OK. When you are dealing with other peoples children those are the steps you take. We knew this as 20-somethings involved in a youth league. How could those involved in this Penn State mess not know that?

It isn't that they didn't know, it is that they didn't care. If they cared they would have thought first about the victims, not a football game. If they cared the GA and Paterno would have escalated the problem to the police or press when the person they saw raping a kid or were told by a witness that they saw raping a child was back on campus with an office. It they cared they would have put the victim first and not put themselves or their ambitions first.

The fact they didn't do any of this speaks volumes about all of their characters. Had the problem been dealt with through the proper channel (which isn't internally) the only person who would have been to blame was Sandusky. The program would have been fine, Paterno would have been fine, the GA would have been fine. The story would have been about how one coach was found to be acting inappropriately and was prosecuted. Instead it is about how one coach was acting inappropriately and how the entire organization conspired to allow him to get away with it. The original crime is on Sandusky. The cover up is on every single person who had knowledge of the original crime.

Paterno is the face of the program and for many people the face of the entire University. Everything anyone in the program does reflects on him either positive or negative. Others are also being prosecuted so they will get their day in court. He is being allowed to skirt by on a technicality since he "technically" reported to his superiors and is then retiring at the end of the season like he was probably going to do anyway. He faces no actual consequences for his actions or inactions.

Once again, the great and powerful JoePa gets to have it on his terms.

This hiccup isn't going to inconvenience him one bit.

I'm convinced he was going to retire after this season anyway.

Somebody at Penn State needs to tell this guy to gather his belongings and get off the property, today.

How about we get the guy who actually did it in jail instead of throwing this guy under a bus? :confused3 Jerry is still out walking the streets doing who knows what... JoePa is trying to win some football games like he's done for the last 61 years... what about McQueary? he's still coaching he is the one who actually SAW it happen... no calling for heads to roll with him :confused3

How about we get the guy who actually did it in jail instead of throwing this guy under a bus? :confused3 Jerry is still out walking the streets doing who knows what... JoePa is trying to win some football games like he's done for the last 61 years... what about McQueary? he's still coaching he is the one who actually SAW it happen... no calling for heads to roll with him :confused3

Personally, I think they all need to go from the Janitors that knew all the way up to the University President, and everyone in between.

As per the bolded, that's all it comes down to, isn't it? :sad2:

so when you are Immortal Ruler of the World, your official colors will be black/gold?

They already are.

Actually, I dont have anything against the Eagles. But if youre team is the Browns or Ravens, Im just gonna have to ask you to step outside....!

All their heads should roll. Sandusky is out on bail pending trial. Perhaps he shouldn't be but he is being deal with within the system we have. Paterno is the biggest name therefor will get most of the press and he is facing no consequences for his part in all of this.

Personally, I think they all need to go from the Janitors that knew all the way up to the University President, and everyone in between.

As per the bolded, that's all it comes down to, isn't it? :sad2:

well he is a football coach.. that is his job :confused3 he went to his bosses he bosses went no where with the info and yet its his fault.. nice... :rolleyes:

"As I've said, my sister is a proud PSU alum as well. She graduated in 2004, so was there when this crap was going on. Don't let this define your university or your diploma. Be proud of the world class education you have received and the great things you've done with that education since then. PSU is made up of 500,00+ graduates, the vast, vast majority of whom are making the world a better place. THAT is who yells "We Are Penn State."[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU. I am proud of the world class education I recieved and will forever be proud to yell We Are Penn State...because while that chant goes hand in hand with football, Penn State encompasses so much more than football.

well he is a football coach.. that is his job :confused3 he went to his bosses he bosses went no where with the info and yet its his fault.. nice... :rolleyes:

It is ALL OF THEIR FAULT. They all failed these children. Paterno is not infallable. He failed these children as much as everyone else. I can't believe that is even questionable.

Well I'm bleeding blue... this whole thing is just such a f up on every ones part.. It should have ended when McQueary saw it.. the end..not after he talked to his dad, not after he talked to JoePa... that night Jerry should have had his *** thrown in jail and locked away for good.. Now he's out on bail, McQueery will still be coaching after this year (I'm assuming) and after 61yrs Joe is calling it quits because his bosses had their heads up their ***** after he did what he was supposed to do... My whole family is sad about this.. my cousin (first cousin not some distant person I dont really know) played def. line for him from 2002-2006

He announed he was done at the end of the season if you haven't heard here is his statement http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/38054/joepas-statement-on-retirement-from-psu

Do you really think Paterno did what he was suppossed to do? I know 'legally' he did by reporting it to his so called superiors but come on!! When he saw that this monster was still around kids that was his first clue that nothing was being done and he should have spoken up. I don't believe for a minute that there weren't rumors about this creep for years.

It is ALL OF THEIR FAULT. They all failed these children. Paterno is not infallable. He failed these children as much as everyone else. I can't believe that is even questionable.

Do you really think Paterno did what he was suppossed to do? I know 'legally' he did by reporting it to his so called superiors but come on!! When he saw that this monster was still around kids that was his first clue that nothing was being done and he should have spoken up. I don't believe for a minute that there weren't rumors about this creep for years.

:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter