Disturbing Story out of Penn State

I am totally baffled by PSU leadership. First, it was stupid and irresponsible not to involve child welfare. Then they actually wrote it all down. And to top it all, they kept the emails for 11-12 years. You have to think the Board knew all this when the fired JoePa.

I am totally baffled by PSU leadership. First, it was stupid and irresponsible not to involve child welfare. Then they actually wrote it all down. And to top it all, they kept the emails for 11-12 years. You have to think the Board knew all this when the fired JoePa.

I wondered about this myself. Did they actually keep a copy of these emails in a file drawer somewhere or were they retrieved off a hard drive?

find it pretty disgusting that the dis is hosting a penn state ad.....:(

They really aren't. The way that Google ads work is they look at the content of the page and display an ad that corresponds with it. Since Penn State is mentioned on the page multiple times they generate an ad based on the key word. It is the same reason that during election time you will see political ads here even though politics are banned. Google sees the mention of a state on the page (maybe in the location of a member) and uses the location of the IP address to generate the ad. It isn't that Penn State called the DIS and bought an ad.

As for more information coming out, I am not surprised and said months ago more would. In cases like this no matter how bad it looks at the beginning the reality is much much worse.

The Freeh report is out, as expected it paints Paterno and the Penn St administration in a very negative light. I hope the NCAA does the right thing and gives the football program the death penalty. What they covered up was much worse than giving prospective athletes money, cars, tatoos etc....

The Freeh Group’s report issued Thursday said that in order to avoid bad publicity, president Graham Spanier, football coach Joe Paterno, athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz “repeatedly concealed critical facts.”

The report says the men “failed to protect against a child sexual predator harming children for over a decade.”

The report says all four knew about a 1998 investigation into Sandusky that didn’t result in criminal charges at the time, but none alerted the trustees and none took further action against Sandusky.

The bolded part disgusts me, they, including "Saint Joe", knew this man was abusing children for 13 years and covered it up.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation...fare-in-sandusky-case-investigation-says.html

I've been of the opinion all along that the investigation needs to be careful, thorough and impartial and there is no need to punish the university at large or the football program for the sins of a few. If what is being spun into media soundbites comes anywhere near an accurate snapshot of events, I'm starting to feel the football program should be shut down.

Honestly the stance of the Paterno family makes me really believe there is a significant fire with all this smoke. Even after all this ugly public mess they felt they should have been a part of the investigation? The person who should have been a part of the investigation is dead. How on earth would they have anything to contribute? Of course Joe Pa could & should have taken an active role in pushing an investigation years ago. The fact that his family still believes they had a right to insinuate themselves into the investigation now is very telling about the kind of power and authority he held as coach.

I don't care what good things he did or the programs/facilities he financially supported at the university. If he is shown to have obstructed the investigation, no honors or remembrances of Joe Pa belong at PSU. A football program is not more important than the health and safety of children and his achievements are meaningless.

From a CNN article.
Updated at 10:44 a.m. ET] The NCAA has reacted to the report, saying Penn State "now needs to respond" to four key questions that will help the NCAA decide whether it needs to take action:

“Like everyone else, we are reviewing the final report for the first time today," NCAA Vice President Bob Williams said. "As (NCAA) President Emmert wrote in his November 17 letter to Penn State President Rodney Erickson and reiterated this week, the university has four key questions, concerning compliance with institutional control and ethics policies, to which it now needs to respond. Penn State’s response to the letter will inform our next steps, including whether or not to take further action. We expect Penn State’s continued cooperation in our examination of these issues.”

The report issued this morning is absolutely sickening in it's details. The guys in charge of that university and especially Joe Paterno enabled and facilitated the rape of these young boys. Sick, sick, sick. And all in the name of protecting a football program. How could these 'men' (monsters may be a better term) value football over what they let happen to these young men.

It is time for the NCAA to deliver the death penalty to this program for lack of institutional control. How can they not do this after penalizing other programs for minor offenses like barbecue dinners or selling jerseys? The very fact that Penn State supporters think that their program is too important to be shut down shows how truly messed up that program has become. Shut them down!

I'm on page 37 of the report and am appalled at the findings. Unbelievable!

*waiting for the St. JoePa supporters to defend him now.

<----current PSU student

I'm on page 37 of the report and am appalled at the findings. Unbelievable!

*waiting for the St. JoePa supporters to defend him now.

<----current PSU student

They'll be along soon, don't worry.

Honestly the stance of the Paterno family makes me really believe there is a significant fire with all this smoke. Even after all this ugly public mess they felt they should have been a part of the investigation? The person who should have been a part of the investigation is dead. How on earth would they have anything to contribute?

That's just how a select few in the family are. Remember, one son was let go from his job. These few people think they are holier than thou. Mad at the news for reporting Paterno's death before they each made individual statements to the media, angry at not being asked every time something is reported, etc. That's just the way a couple of people in his family are.

I just got done reading this report. :furious: This is a long post, just a warning.

So, this group of clowns knew since 1998 about an incident and nothing happened. Our missing district attorney decided not to do anything. The community had no idea of this.

Then it happens again... and again... and again... and no one does anything.

In 1999 Sandusky proposes running a youth football camp at Penn State. :eek: Paterno writes on a note "Volunteer Position Director - Positive Action for Youth". At the end of that year, Sandusky assaults Victim 4 in the hotel at the Alamo Bowl in Texas. :mad:

November 2000 another victim. This is the incident where the janitor seems it and was very upset, yet knew that if he reported it, he'd lose his job. And you know what? He would have. They probably would have fired everyone in that department just to keep it quiet. Sick.

Feb 2001 another victim. Both in Lasch building showers. Feb 2001 was the incident that McQueary saw... McQueary went to Paterno. But Paterno knew of the past incidents since 1998 and just decided to speak to the university police guy, the same one who swept all the other incidents under the rug since 1998.

Aug 2001: another victim in the Lasch showers.
Sept 2001: Board of Trustees meeting for land sale to Jerry's Second Mile charity, and PSU's president nor Schultz say a word about what is going on.

I'm not sure of the date of the wrestling mat incident at a nearby school that caused the coach or someone related to that dept. to not allow Sandusky there anymore.

Boy after boy after boy. :sick:

Did Paterno run the school? No. He was a coach. He did his job as a coach. That's it. Just because he was a good coach and known doesn't mean he ran the school. He did run the football dept. though.

Did Paterno know about this? Yes, since 1998, and still kept Sandusky around.

This child rapist was living in our community, and no one warned the public.
Parents were allowing their children to be in Sandusky's organization without knowing about all these incidents. What the heck.
Our community rallied for Jerry's organization and saying what a great guy Jerry was for helping kids without knowing anything of what Jerry really was. However, other people knew and kept it secret.

:furious: :furious: :furious:

Should Joe's statue be taken down? Well, I don't really know. He has the statue up because he was a great football coach. If it's there then fine. If they take it down, fine. It doesn't matter to me. Keeping it would not show that they stand behind what Sandusky did. It's up because of Paterno being a great college football coach.

Now, the students who rioted did not have this information that we have now. Would they have rioted if they had the facts? Probably a few would have because it was an excuse to drink and get crazy, but a majority would have been shocked like I am now. Not all the rioters were students, either. Some were just young, drunk fools. One year they caused trouble during the Art's Festival.

I didn't know about rapist Jerry until November of last year when it broke loose. I didn't know until today after reading this report that Joe knew since 1998. I was under the assumption that Joe knew in 2001 when McQueary told him, and Joe told the person he was supposed to. Knowing that Joe knew in 1998 and was told in 2001 of another horrible incident changes everything. Why when this all broke loose did they not say about Joe knowing since 1998? Maybe they did, and I didn't hear about it until now. I don't know.

Sorry for the long post, but I am outraged and sick by this. How could so many people in power hide the fact of a child rapist and even keep him around a while longer?? omg.

That's just how a select few in the family are. Remember, one son was let go from his job. These few people think they are holier than thou. Mad at the news for reporting Paterno's death before they each made individual statements to the media, angry at not being asked every time something is reported, etc. That's just the way a couple of people in his family are.

I just got done reading this report. :furious: This is a long post, just a warning.

So, this group of clowns knew since 1998 about an incident and nothing happened. Our missing district attorney decided not to do anything. The community had no idea of this.

Then it happens again... and again... and again... and no one does anything.

In 1999 Sandusky proposes running a youth football camp at Penn State. :eek: Paterno writes on a note "Volunteer Position Director - Positive Action for Youth". At the end of that year, Sandusky assaults Victim 4 in the hotel at the Alamo Bowl in Texas. :mad:

November 2000 another victim. This is the incident where the janitor seems it and was very upset, yet knew that if he reported it, he'd lose his job. And you know what? He would have. They probably would have fired everyone in that department just to keep it quiet. Sick.

Feb 2001 another victim. Both in Lasch building showers. Feb 2001 was the incident that McQueary saw... McQueary went to Paterno. But Paterno knew of the past incidents since 1998 and just decided to speak to the university police guy, the same one who swept all the other incidents under the rug since 1998.

Aug 2001: another victim in the Lasch showers.
Sept 2001: Board of Trustees meeting for land sale to Jerry's Second Mile charity, and PSU's president nor Schultz say a word about what is going on.

I'm not sure of the date of the wrestling mat incident at a nearby school that caused the coach or someone related to that dept. to not allow Sandusky there anymore.

Boy after boy after boy. :sick:

Did Paterno run the school? No. He was a coach. He did his job as a coach. That's it. Just because he was a good coach and known doesn't mean he ran the school. He did run the football dept. though.

Did Paterno know about this? Yes, since 1998, and still kept Sandusky around.

This child rapist was living in our community, and no one warned the public.
Parents were allowing their children to be in Sandusky's organization without knowing about all these incidents. What the heck.
Our community rallied for Jerry's organization and saying what a great guy Jerry was for helping kids without knowing anything of what Jerry really was. However, other people knew and kept it secret.

:furious: :furious: :furious:

Should Joe's statue be taken down? Well, I don't really know. He has the statue up because he was a great football coach. If it's there then fine. If they take it down, fine. It doesn't matter to me. Keeping it would not show that they stand behind what Sandusky did. It's up because of Paterno being a great college football coach.

Now, the students who rioted did not have this information that we have now. Would they have rioted if they had the facts? Probably a few would have because it was an excuse to drink and get crazy, but a majority would have been shocked like I am now. Not all the rioters were students, either. Some were just young, drunk fools. One year they caused trouble during the Art's Festival.

I didn't know about rapist Jerry until November of last year when it broke loose. I didn't know until today after reading this report that Joe knew since 1998. I was under the assumption that Joe knew in 2001 when McQueary told him, and Joe told the person he was supposed to. Knowing that Joe knew in 1998 and was told in 2001 of another horrible incident changes everything. Why when this all broke loose did they not say about Joe knowing since 1998? Maybe they did, and I didn't hear about it until now. I don't know.

Sorry for the long post, but I am outraged and sick by this. How could so many people in power hide the fact of a child rapist and even keep him around a while longer?? omg.

I haven't read the report but it has been my assumption all along that all the higher ups at Penn State (including Paterno) knew about the 1998 incident. How couldn't they? Sandusky was under investigation. There is no way Paterno's assistant coach and friend was under investigation for improper conduct with a minor and he didn't know about it. And Sundusky goes on to admit that he showered with the boy and was hugging him while naked in the shower! What grown man wouldn't hear that and go :eek: :scared1::eek:?? He was being accused of doing something inappropriate, admits to showering/hugging the boy, and nobody associated with him thinks, "Geez, maybe something more did happen and even if it didn't, grown men shouldn't shower with young boys....I think we will at least distance ourselves from this guy and keep him out of our stadium and showers." Nobody thought this??? :mad:

This is sickening. Joe Paterno was more than just a "football coach". That was why he was so revered. But the amount of kids that graduated, learned and prospered through his program does not , in any way, reconcile what he and the others have done. In fact, in my book, it completely negates it. How can anyone argue that he was an amazing man when he just completely disregarded these young kids and then allowed HIS facility and program to be continually used by this disgusting pedophile.

Im sorry, but there are universities out there that are suffering penalties , bowl restrictions, etc because some athlete or athletes 4 years ago allowed a booster to buy him lunch. Reggie Bush had to give up his Heisman because he received free rent from agents while in school. Didn't SMU get the death penalty for illegal recruiting? All of those schools students suffered for the acts of a few.

Well, THIS is FAR FAR worse. FOr years this wasn't just covered up, but allowed to continue, heck, you can even say, they aided Sandusky. The need to come down hard on Penn State. I feel for the students and faculty that had nothing to do with this but its a lesson that needs to be taught worldwide.

I do, however, understand his family defending him. They loved him, he's gone. Im sure its a hard thing to have to come to terms with.

This is sickening. Joe Paterno was more than just a "football coach". That was why he was so revered. But the amount of kids that graduated, learned and prospered through his program does not , in any way, reconcile what he and the others have done. In fact, in my book, it completely negates it. How can anyone argue that he was an amazing man when he just completely disregarded these young kids and then allowed HIS facility and program to be continually used by this disgusting pedophile.

Im sorry, but there are universities out there that are suffering penalties , bowl restrictions, etc because some athlete or athletes 4 years ago allowed a booster to buy him lunch. Reggie Bush had to give up his Heisman because he received free rent from agents while in school. Didn't SMU get the death penalty for illegal recruiting? All of those schools students suffered for the acts of a few.

Well, THIS is FAR FAR worse. FOr years this wasn't just covered up, but allowed to continue, heck, you can even say, they aided Sandusky. The need to come down hard on Penn State. I feel for the students and faculty that had nothing to do with this but its a lesson that needs to be taught worldwide.

I do, however, understand his family defending him. They loved him, he's gone. Im sure its a hard thing to have to come to terms with.

Great post!

I haven't read the report but it has been my assumption all along that all the higher ups at Penn State (including Paterno) knew about the 1998 incident. How couldn't they? Sandusky was under investigation. There is no way Paterno's assistant coach and friend was under investigation for improper conduct with a minor and he didn't know about it. And Sundusky goes on to admit that he showered with the boy and was hugging him while naked in the shower! What grown man wouldn't hear that and go :eek: :scared1::eek:?? He was being accused of doing something inappropriate, admits to showering/hugging the boy, and nobody associated with him thinks, "Geez, maybe something more did happen and even if it didn't, grown men shouldn't shower with young boys....I think we will at least distance ourselves from this guy and keep him out of our stadium and showers." Nobody thought this??? :mad:

Of course they did. But protecting the reputation of PSU and protecting the football program from bad publicity was more important.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter