• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disturbing sight on Castaway Cay

Otimon

DIS Veteran
We just returned yesterday from the 4/24 Western cruise on the Magic. The weather and voyage was absolutely wonderful!

While taking a walk with my husband we passed the area on Castaway Cay where the hair braiding was done. As we approached we could hear a youngster screaming at the top of her lungs. We stopped and saw a little girl of around 3 or 4 years of age absolutely in pain from the braiding. The woman doing her hair (I believe she was from the Bahamas) showed no emotion or concern for the youngster but what was really disturbing was the mom who did nothing at all but tell the youngster to be quiet. The mom had her head on the knee of the woman while the youngster was crying and begging to stop. Other people passing by us also expressed concern. All we could do was move on.

Just commenting here on something we found upsetting. If it hurts a little one that much it's not worth doing.

Hair braiding = child abuse

I bet mom was thinking..."I paid for this and you're getting them"

Why would anyone want corn rows anyway? They certainly aren't very flattering.

Poor kid, her lasting memory of CC will be clouded by that incident :(

I had my hair and my 2 year olds done last cruise and I didn't find it painful and my daughter sat through it without making a sound and she asked to have it done again next week....perhaps its the person who does it or the type they get but we each got about 16 braids each and were fine with it.
If my child was screaming getting them though I would have told the lady to stop right away!

oh my goodness, that's awful. I know my friends who have done it say it's painful but I can't imagine a parent not caring that their child is screaming like that. And even if the parent doesn't care about their child- wouldn't they care that people would be staring? That is so nuts I feel bad for that poor kid.:(

I had these braids done in Puerta Vallarta last year and I didn't think it was painful either. My 4 yr old daughter wants it done on our cruise and I think it'll be cute on her.
But, I wouldn't make her sit there and have it finished if it was too painful for her:(

Pain = just depends on who is braiding your hair - Also - some people have more tender scalps than others -

GenieDana - I am with you - I bet the mother was thinking "I've paid for this and you will sit and have it done!"

Such a shame -

My nieces ages 5 & 7 had their hair braided on CC.

The 5 year old was in tears. We kept asking if she wanted to stop, but she was bound and determined to get her hair braided like her older sister and did not want to stop.

So her mother stood their holding her hand. The woman doing the braided tried to be as gentle as possible, and she braved it out. She was so proud of herself.

That is so sad. :( Some kids are just ultra-sensitive to touch (I have one; she used to scream even getting her hair brushed) and I can't imagine a parent putting a child through that if it upset her so much. God help them when she has to take the braids OUT too....

My DD13 had braids put in on the Wonder and tears rolled down her cheeks while they were being done (no noise though) - I kept asking her if she wanted to stop but she said no no and wanted them done...took some tylenol after and was fine later....I have short hair so I really don't understand!
Barbara

We were talking about this with our tablemates one night since I had passed a little girl crying on the ship getting her hair braided. The mom said that it didn't hurt much because her DD got it done. She asked her DD & she said yes, it hurts alot. The mom felt terrible, but the DD wanted it done. It can rip the hair out while it is being done & when it is taken out. There is no way anyone is touching my hair or my DD's head. It is hard enough for me to comb her hair & she is just letting me put it up in pigtails.

And for a guy point of view- I hope the girls don't think they look attractive. They just look wierd.

I also had my DD6 hair braided on CC. I didn't realize that it would hurt so much. After seeing her tears, we had the woman stop after just 4 corn rows. It looked interesting to say the least, but my daughter wanted to keep them in. After about 10 days, I couldn't take it anymore and we removed them. That hurts too! Maybe next time we'll try just a few long, loose braids. :confused:

Karen from NJ

Here is another hair braiding story. My DD had her hair braided at CC when we went on the Magic in April 2002. She said it hurt a little, but the real pain happened 2 weeks later. She was on a swing and the braid got caught in the chain and ripped 2 braids right from her scalp. Ouch!! It still sends a shiver up my spine. She was and is fine, but she had a 1/2 inch bald spot on the top of her head for about 3 months. We still have the braids and I'm going to show her Prom date in 10 years. :smooth:

I witnessed the same thing. My daughter had cornrows done and each time she winced I told the woman to ease up. I was curt with the woman when I said it since she really didn't seem to care one bit about the fact that she may be hurting her.

Next to us was a girl in tears and her father was sitting in front of her. I kept looking at him as if to say, "why don't you speak up about this" but he just sat there. There were other children crying.

The women doing this don't care at all if they hurt the kids. They were even joking about it while they were doing it. IT's up to the parents to put their foot down and have a little common sense that if your kid is in pain, take her out. I felt so bad for those little girls who were crying.:(

Just wait until you take the braids out! My daughter lost a BUNCH of hair!
When she had it done on CC she said it was real painful. But then it stayed in about 2 months and she loved it after the pain went away! Usually the first day.
I had one tiny braid done(no pain) and kept in about 2 months and loved it! :tongue:

Originally posted by MikeBW
Here is another hair braiding story. My DD had her hair braided at CC when we went on the Magic in April 2002. She said it hurt a little, but the real pain happened 2 weeks later. She was on a swing and the braid got caught in the chain and ripped 2 braids right from her scalp. Ouch!! It still sends a shiver up my spine. She was and is fine, but she had a 1/2 inch bald spot on the top of her head for about 3 months. We still have the braids and I'm going to show her Prom date in 10 years. :smooth:

OMG!!! How painful that was!!! :( Yikes! Now I definantly wont get DD's hair braided. She is the type who would find some way of having this happen too.

wow - you kept them in for 2 months!!! My dd just had them done in St. Maarten, she's 11, afer 5 days she wanted them out, then after 1 weeks that was it, out them came!!! Didn't they look messy? We kept putting conditioner on them to keep the hair down, she has extremely think hair, there were probably over 100 braids in her head!!! She liked it for the first few days, after that she had enough!! Atleast I only paid about $40.00, she started at $100.00!!

Originally posted by MikeBW
Here is another hair braiding story. My DD had her hair braided at CC when we went on the Magic in April 2002. She said it hurt a little, but the real pain happened 2 weeks later. She was on a swing and the braid got caught in the chain and ripped 2 braids right from her scalp. Ouch!!

OMG, poor kid! I bet she will NEVER want those braids again! And who can blame her. I know I wouldn't after that!!

I guess because I do hair for a living my daughter is use to me braiding and doing all kinds of stuff to her hair (although I'd like to think I have a much gentler touch) and she enjoys it, but in all honesty after reading some of these posts, now I'm having second thoughts about letting her get cornrows at CC :( And my intention was to let her only get a couple of them.
-Debbie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter