• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dissapointed in HOJO

At the risk of getting flamed about walk times to DL again I have to ask how fast do you have to walk to get from Hojos to DL bag check in 5 minutes as some have been saying??

Looking at the walk on Google Earth (and taking the prescribed short cut) it is just under half a mile from the centre of Hojos to the Bag Check. Normal walking speed is classed as 2 - 3 miles per hour so thats at least 10 minutes if you can fluke the crosswalk. To do it in 5 minutes you will have to average 6 miles per hour, which most exercise websites classify as as an easy run. So I suppose I have answered my own question, yes it can be done in 5 minutes if you jog...

Sorry to be so particular but I have walked to Hojos and it seemed a lot longer than even 10 minutes (although i did not take the shortcut). I did measure the walk to CCI as we had friends staying there and that was 13 minutes at a fairly brisk pace and its about the same distance as Hojos.

At the risk of getting flamed about walk times to DL again I have to ask how fast do you have to walk to get from Hojos to DL bag check in 5 minutes as some have been saying??

Looking at the walk on Google Earth (and taking the prescribed short cut) it is just under half a mile from the centre of Hojos to the Bag Check. Normal walking speed is classed as 2 - 3 miles per hour so thats at least 10 minutes if you can fluke the crosswalk. To do it in 5 minutes you will have to average 6 miles per hour, which most exercise websites classify as as an easy run. So I suppose I have answered my own question, yes it can be done in 5 minutes if you jog...

Sorry to be so particular but I have walked to Hojos and it seemed a lot longer than even 10 minutes (although i did not take the shortcut). I did measure the walk to CCI as we had friends staying there and that was 13 minutes at a fairly brisk pace and its about the same distance as Hojos.

We did it in 8 minutes (we timed it) but it was right after arriving and checking in and walking really fast because we were so excited. Going back after closing is another story. Probably more like 10-11 minutes. BTW, this was taking the short cut.

We walked from the fairfield inn up and over to cross to avoid that time share junkie and it was longer than 5 mins for sure! I wouldn't say it is ever less than 10 unless you are walking quite quickly. But it isn't a bad walk, once you cross the street it's a straight shoot and goes quickly. :)

Well, I've stated that it's 4 or 5 minutes after the crosswalk. So only 5ish minutes LONGER than getting to the closest hotel.

But that's thinking you're going to cross the crazy crosswalk with all the others. If you've bypassed the crowds by leaving the park and going left while all others are going straight/right-ish to the crosswalk, and if you've walked along the transportation island and thorugh the taxi area, and then you've turned left and walked along the unpopulated side, then cross Harbor at Manchester, your'e going to do better than the others who crossed at the Captain Kidd's restaurant crosswalk. :)

In my May trip report, I did a pictorial of the ways to walk.

Took a pic once out of the HJ parking lot, at the crosswalk at Manchester. Taken at 6:02 and 1 second. Then just before the taxi area that we turned into (instead of going all the way to where everyone else is going in, at the big Disneyland Resort sign) it was 6:05.

The next morning, I took a shot as we were leaving the parking lot at 8:55. Crossed Manchester, pic of Mimis 2 minutes later (long light sometimes). That day we went with the crowd. Up to the Fairfield sign at 8:58 and 14 seconds. Passing Millies at the 33 second mark. McDs at 8:59 and 9 seconds.

At the driveway of Camelot at 8:59 56 seconds, Carousel at 9:00 and 8 seconds. Tropicana's sign at 9:00 and 53 seconds. Had to wait for a Pepsi truck, waiting waiting waiting....got the crosswalk at last, crossed, walked in with the masses, bag check, gates, took a picture of main street at 9:16 and 27 seconds.

So that is NOT a perfect time-keeping record, but it's a general idea of two different days. And it shows that the time from the HJ parking lot (which I feel is more fair than from any one building, b/c if you're at a far back building it's too long if someone else gets a close-up building etc) to the other hotels is really very minimal. And then that on any given day, you might have a Pepsi truck trying to make a delivery and gumming up the works for everyone trying to get to the parks, whereas if you're on the other side you can just book, without pesky delivery trucks (or at least without tons of pedestrians crossing in front of the delivery truck, making things that much slower for those behind).

Oh and I have to mention that while usually we are very speedy walkers (or at least I am), on that trip I was hobbled from the night before our first park day, because I decided to meet Toocherie at a DVC presentation, and walked, on a balmy dusk-time, in "cute" and NEW heels from HoJo alllllll the way to PPH. By the time I got to DTD I was in agony, and I had to call hubby to wake up DS and pick me up when I was done socializing, because I had no cash for a taxi and could not walk back.

So even though I was in different shoes, I was walking funny and walking much slower than usual. It wasn't my usual power walk.

Why would we flame you? :) The walk is 5-10 min. depending on which bldg you're in. We are not super fast walkers but that's how long it takes us, if we are in bldg 1 it's more like 10 or maybe 12, if we are in bldg 2 or the pavilion bldgs it's more like the 7 min. time. The 5 min. time I got from timing after we crossed Harbor.

Thanks for all the info guys, it was the dreaded 800 number we called and fortunatly already found another room for the 9 nights around the corner for only 59$ so unless i can get that at HOJO we will probably stick with our current res. but thank you all so much, we will keep the info in mind on our next trip later this year!

Good to know you didn't get such bad service from the 714 people.

What hotel are you staying at?

i think its called the best american, its further away but we will have APS so will probably drive even though its more convenient to walk. when we go to DL, the room isnt key, its just a place to rest our heads...but would have been nicer to be closer even if the rate was so low

Why would we flame you? :) The walk is 5-10 min. depending on which bldg you're in. We are not super fast walkers but that's how long it takes us, if we are in bldg 1 it's more like 10 or maybe 12, if we are in bldg 2 or the pavilion bldgs it's more like the 7 min. time. The 5 min. time I got from timing after we crossed Harbor.

Oh I think Hojos fans are far nicer than CCI fans... (Just kidding!!!) I got flamed before for suggesting CCI was further away than 5 min walk. I think people have different ideas of where the time starts to when it finishes, for my part I would time the walk time as being from when you exit the elevator of the hotel to the time you hit the queue at the bag check. Certainly the bigger hotels will have times that depend on what room you are in but I think Bumbershoot hit it on the head thats its 5 minutes further than the the very closest hotels. For us who come out for lunch and dinner for a bit of a rest it would be a problem, but for most people it wouldn't be a big difference

We are staying at HOJO in April and I am just excited that walking is even an option. We did WDW for a week last year and had to get around through a combination of car, monorail, tram, bus and boat! Which would be fine if we weren't using a double stroller.....Anyway, whatever the walk - it's all good with us :thumbsup2

hlbrink,

WOW, your trip to WDW, sounded like quite the excursion. I think I might have become tired, from the trek alone, much less walking about the parks.
I can only imagine, how hard that may be, dealing with a double stroller. Good for you though, for being able to contend with it all. More power to you, and may the force be with you! :) :flower3:

We don't walk very fast, especially after a day or two in the parks! LOL It always took us around 10-15 minutes to get to DL from Hojo and back.

Oh I think Hojos fans are far nicer than CCI fans... (Just kidding!!!) I got flamed before for suggesting CCI was further away than 5 min walk. I think people have different ideas of where the time starts to when it finishes, for my part I would time the walk time as being from when you exit the elevator of the hotel to the time you hit the queue at the bag check. Certainly the bigger hotels will have times that depend on what room you are in but I think Bumbershoot hit it on the head thats its 5 minutes further than the the very closest hotels. For us who come out for lunch and dinner for a bit of a rest it would be a problem, but for most people it wouldn't be a big difference

Oh well, I'm a fan of both but I'm a bigger fan of the HoJo. LOL :) Ya, I've been flamed for having an opinion too. But I still post them. LOL And yes, you're right, we should start timing from the minute you walk out of your room but we don't. And it really does depend on what bldg you're in ime. We are going to be in a pavilion room (bldg 3 or 4 probably) in a few weeks (unless our timeshare comes thru with a room which I highly doubt) so I'll retime it and see what I get. :) FTR, when we stayed at CCI we rode the shuttle most days but the one time we did walk it was about a 15 min. walk and we were at the very front of the hotel.

Just to add my 5cents worth, we stayed in building 1 right by the elevator, and it never took us more than 10 mins to get to bag check, we don't walk particularly fast, but seemed faster than all the people we overtook on the way there. I think, because the walk down Harbor isn't that long and then its a medium walk through to bag check it never feels like it take that long, even returning after a fullday there with DS6 we were only 10mins from exiting to McD's

maybe we ran...... :rotfl2:

I loved HoJos and being in a room close to the exit was good too:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter