• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dispute with landlord and pesticide use -- what would you do?

Spoonful of Sugar

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

I am so angry right now.:mad: My landlord had our laundry room (which is shared with the other suites in our building) sprayed with pesticides today without telling us. The only reason I even know about it is because there was a little note on the floor of the laundry room simply saying not to come go in there. When DH called and asked her what that was about she told us she had it sprayed but had forgotten to let us know. Had I known, I would have opened all the windows, left the house for the day, and taken our stuff out of the room. You see, I'm pregnant, I have a two-year-old whose bedroom is directly above the laundry room, and our stroller and car seat for the new baby are being stored in the laundry room. Now I find out I've been breathing in chemicals all day.

So here's what's happening now: my DH called the tenancy act place and they said we could have our landlord pay compensation for the things we had stored in the laundry room since we weren't given a chance to clear them out before it was sprayed. This would probably come to about $1500, maybe more. If she says she won't pay it, we can take her to arbitration, and they would probably side with us (says the tenancy act person). We are moving in June anyway, so we don't need to keep up a good relationship with this lady, but this is weird for me since I am very non-confrontational.

I should also add that she knew we didn't feel comfortable about pesticides, especially while I'm pregnant, and I really suspect that this is the reason she "forgot" to tell us they were spraying.

So, if you've read this far, would you demand compensation? If you didn't ask her to pay for the things, would you feel comfortable putting your newborn in a carseat or stroller that have been around chemicals like that? :confused3

Hi everyone,

I am so angry right now.:mad: My landlord had our laundry room (which is shared with the other suites in our building) sprayed with pesticides today without telling us. The only reason I even know about it is because there was a little note on the floor of the laundry room simply saying not to come go in there. When DH called and asked her what that was about she told us she had it sprayed but had forgotten to let us know. Had I known, I would have opened all the windows, left the house for the day, and taken our stuff out of the room. You see, I'm pregnant, I have a two-year-old whose bedroom is directly above the laundry room, and our stroller and car seat for the new baby are being stored in the laundry room. Now I find out I've been breathing in chemicals all day.

So here's what's happening now: my DH called the tenancy act place and they said we could have our landlord pay compensation for the things we had stored in the laundry room since we weren't given a chance to clear them out before it was sprayed. This would probably come to about $1500, maybe more. If she says she won't pay it, we can take her to arbitration, and they would probably side with us (says the tenancy act person). We are moving in June anyway, so we don't need to keep up a good relationship with this lady, but this is weird for me since I am very non-confrontational.

I should also add that she knew we didn't feel comfortable about pesticides, especially while I'm pregnant, and I really suspect that this is the reason she "forgot" to tell us they were spraying.

So, if you've read this far, would you demand compensation? If you didn't ask her to pay for the things, would you feel comfortable putting your newborn in a carseat or stroller that have been around chemicals like that? :confused3

Do you know what the chemicals are and what harm has come to you from them? I would need to know this before I could answer.

Unless they used some banned substance or something that wasn't made to be used in dwellings, no I wouldn't demand compensation. I don't think your things are ruined.

No I wouldn't demand compensation!!! I think that is a real stretch and abuse of the "regulations"

and yes I would use them. My goodness they weren't soaked with it! If you are worried wipe them off. Possibly a tiny amount o would have maybe drifted onto them and by the time the baby is born it probably would have broken down any way. Especially with the pesticides they are allowed to use any more.

I think you are really, really over reacting. Ever think that the store you bought them from probably sprayed for bugs? or the trucking company? or the manufacturing company?

I have never lived in any apartment that didn't spray the common areas for bugs.

I guess I don't see the big deal, places have bugs sprayed for all the time. I highly doubt it will affect you or your family

I would drop it. People use pesticides in every place you visit. I can't imagine asking for the value of everything you had down in storage.

Nothing. I would be happy they are spraying and not me.

We just had to spray for ants on Sunday in my pantry. Bleech.

As someone who is also pregnant, has a toddler, and is cautious about chemicals, I would just let it go. Wipe down the plastic parts of the baby stuff, toss the covers in the wash, and you're good to go.

Is the baby stuff new? I could not believe the horrible chemical smell from all our baby stuff when it came out of the boxes. I aired the stroller out in the sun for a full week before the smell was gone. Chemicals actually being emitted from the stroller makes me way more concerned then the chance that a little bit got accidentally topically applied to it.

As a pregnant person, I can say it wouldn't bother me in the least. At least I won't have BUGS in my baby's stuff. But then again, I don't worry about chemicals and junk too much. I'm still drinking Diet Coke and I bought fertilizer at Costco the other day...

They may not have even 'sprayed'. My pest control uses a gel that is squeezed into places not normally accessible (behind and under stuff). They don't spray unless it is a heavy infestation or outside.

Anyway, as soon as it is dry, it is no longer harmful to you, and it is minimally harmful used as directed and in normal amounts. Your stuff is fine and you are fine too. I don't see anyway anything could travel upstairs to your son's room.

I don't think you would win a 'claim' against your landlord. That is normal and not reckless or illegal or anything I can think of.

Unless the landlord used a pesticide that is illegal I would probably let it go and just be glad I no longer have to deal with her after a couple months.

Since they are made for babies I would think the material on your items could be washed and the plastic wiped down without any issue. And since non of you actually went into the room that was sprayed (at least she put up a note) I don't think it will end up causing any damage to you, your child or the unborn baby.

Is the laundry room designed to be a storage room (i.e. is that were the lockers are)? If not, it isn't the landlord's problem that you choose to use the laundry room as your storage room and I don't see how you could ask for compensation.

Even if it is, I agree with the others that I wouldn't.

And, man, is that car seat expensive.

Let it go. Our home is sprayed once a month and the only thing I changed was not having the baby's room sprayed - both while I was pregnant and now that he's here. Everything else was game. I'd rather have our place rid of bugs than find one crawling on my baby.

And to the poster who mentioned the smell of the packaged stroller - I had the same thing. Blech! I let ours air out on the lanai for a day or two before I brought it in.

I would suggest having another place lined up before suing for compensation. That would probably be enough to piss off any landlord and start eviction proceedings.

Agree with all the PP's. Any pesticide that is for sale OTC, or even those used by exterminators are safe to use around anything. I just had to spray our food prep/storage areas for ants. Once the pesticide is dry it says it is safe for children and pets to be around. We usually wipe everything down anyway, but that's just us.

I don't see any reason to be confrontational about it, especially if you're out of there soon.

Must be different in Canada. My wife's best friend works for a guy that owns 400 apartments. They are REQUIRED to have regular pest inspections and spraying as needed. Here, the landlord would be in trouble for NOT spraying.

Would you rather have roach poop all over the stuff? Bugs can get far more invasive than bug spray.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter