• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DisneyWORLD Vs. DisneyLAND

Delilah1310

DIS Veteran
We've been thinking about our first-ever trip to DW for a while now, and for various reasons won't be able to go until 2012. Our DS will be 4 and a half then.

But I see that over in California, DL will have a Cars Land area open by then -- and it sounds like something DS would love.

Plus, in 2012 won't DW's fantasyland be knee-deep in mermiad/princess renovations?

Obviously I've got plenty of time, but I was just curious to see any thoughts about how renovations and new openings impact crowd levels (in general), and also just a general comparison of the two disneys.

thanking in advance for any help you can provide.
peace,
delilah

We much prefer WDW to DL because there is so much more to do for so
many days at the Florida parks,

BUT...

Many of the attractions shared with WDW are a bit
"better" at DL.

Pirates, Fantasmic!, Space Mtn., just to name a few.

Indiana Jones ride is one of the best Disney creations
in the US parks (with, by far, the best queue.)

And the fireworks show ("Remember Dreams Come True")
at DL may be the BEST, most elaborate and creative
fireworks show ever designed.

And yes, DL can be crowded most any day of the year.

One more thing. WALT spent a lot of time there.
He loved that park.
DL is special for that reason alone!

Lots more, but that's a thumbnail from me.

DLR for WDW Veterans by HydroGuy
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

WDW for DLR Veterans by HydroGuy
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=16541636

You'll find no shortage of opinions on this subject. Objectively, WDW offers far more alternatives. However, that's not to say that it's irrational to prefer DL. As indicated by a PP, some rides at DL are better than the WDW version. OTOH, the castle at WDW dwarfs the castle at DL.

One big advantage to DL is that the 2 parks are adjacent to each other, with DD right in the middle of it all. And in addition to the 3 Disney resorts, there are numerous hotels within walking distance of the parks. You can go from DLR to CA, have dinner in DD and go back to DLR in one day without ever waiting for a bus or monorail.

Another element to factor in is whether you want to spend all of your time at the parks. If not, which location gives you preferable alternatives. Some might like a day at SeaWorld or Busch Gardens. Others might prefer to hit the beach or go shopping in LA or do a studio tour.

Finally, there's the weather factor. In the middle of the summer, it can be much warmer in FL than it is in CA. If you don't fare well with warm weather, you might want to consider this.

WDW, easy bet!:thumbsup2 tons more to do!

Tons more:
Walking
waiting in line
People
Bad weather
Bad attractions

Favorite Quote:
There's an answer the old timers at Disney like to give when asked to compare the Anaheim and Orlando main parks, and to me it still applies as to how they are currently run: Disneyland is a park designed by a father for his daughters, while the Magic Kingdom is designed by a committee for the hordes.

I have been to DLR countless times and recently had a great trip to WDW. Here is a thread of some of the comparisons between the two.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2347719

While the property at WDW blows away the property at DLR because of it's size and beauty, in terms of total number of attractions, WDW doesn't really have that many more GOOD attractions. DLR has many of the attractions from EPCOT, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, etc...but instead of being put into 4 parks spread out over an area the size of Manhattan, the attractions are packed into 2 parks divided by an entry plaza. At WDW, you spend an average of at least 2-4 hours a day shuttling between the various parks (because the attractions are so spread out). At DLR, because the attractions are so much closer together, it is possible to spend 3 or 4 days at DLR and see basically everything. At WDW, to see the same number of attractions, it easily takes a week (or more) because of the back and forth shuttling between parks.

If you do go to DLR, only plan on spending about 4 days there, and then spend the remaining 5-7 days of your trip seeing other sights in Southern California. Believe me, there is so much more to do in SoCal than Orlando.
Also, you can also do DLR for significantly cheaper than WDW. At DLR, you can stay at a budget hotel within 5-10 minutes walking distance of the entry plaza. At WDW, to stay within 5-10 minutes walking distance of ANY of the parks, you basically have to stay at a Deluxe resort and pay in excess of $400/night to do so.

If you end up going to WDW, just keep in mind that you really need at least a week to see everything...not necessarily because there is so much more to do...but because it takes more time to see everything there.

Since I've only been to DL once and WDW several time I found that I
really enjoy WDW because I found the cost of accommedations better
(with many levels Value to Deluxe--price and theme for everyone) and anyone can afford to stay onsite at WDW. I find the DL onsite Hotel to
be very expensive and with only 3 choices most visiters stay at Good Neighbor hotels (which loses much of the Magic).

WDW has the Magic Express which I love (neither me or my DH wants to drive on Vacation so we never rent a Car--ME makes it easy to get from Airport to Resort).

The Traffic walking areas in WDW are much wider since it was built latter than
DL (the streets in DL Magic Kingdom are very narrow and when we were there
jam packed with people) Love Fantasmic at WDW much better because they
have an ampatheater and you don't have to sit or stand in the street (no
cramed space).

I have thought about visiting DL again someday but are not
rushed to do so because there is so much more things to do at WDW.
When I have a short weekend then maybe go to DL. You can get most everything done at DL in 3 days. WDW we have been going for
5 different (week long) trips and have not done everything yet.

Yes, but at WDW you do not have to stay onsite. There are many hotels within walking distance of Disneyland that are not operated by Disney - and some of them are cheaper and nicer than the Disney hotels. With the exception of the Grand Californian the Disney resorts at DL (and there are only three of them) are not heavily themed inside or outside and don't carry the sort of "magic" that the WDW ones seem to.

They are so different in many way but still so magical. This past year, we were able to swing a trip to both (thanks to DH's convention schedule) I always wish we have more time in DL because there is so much to see. We have done two trip to DL and both ave been 2d trips. But then we got to WDW for a week and say the same thing - we need more time. So I have pssed on that theory and now go on the premise that we need more trips not more time:) Hydro Guy's threads are THE treads to help you out! GL!:wizard:

I've done DL once and WDW so many times I've lost count.

I'm glad I went to DL because it was Walt's park and it's the original. I agree that some of the rides shared by both are better at DL. I didn't care for how smooshed everything seems at DL whereas you are truly in a different (spacious) world at WDW. I want to be immersed in the experience and I did not feel that way at DL.

I personally like DL much better than WDW, but that might be because DL is very close to home for me, and I've been there more times than I can count. I think a lot of the rides are better (a PP suggested a few, but I would like to add Autopia, Haunted Mansion, and Soarin' to the list), plus the fireworks show is AMAZING, and you have the Main Street Electrical Parade and there's even a Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

That being said, WDW is definitely wonderful in its own ways--the hotels being one example, but the sheer amounts of different kinds of entertainment is the main thing.

This argument goes on in our house! My kids have been to DLR 3 times in 3 years. We just came back from a trip to WDW in early December. My son said last night that we need to get back to DLR. My daughter replied that she is sticking with WDW. It is my opinion that WDW has more for girls (especially after the Fantasyland renovations are done), and DLR has more for boys when you consider characters and character meals. At WDW, you can't through a stick without finding a princess or a fairy. It really gets old! I'm really depressed that WDW is pushing out Mickey/Minnie (who started it all!) for all these princesses! At DLR, the meals are balanced character wise, and I haven't heard of Mickey or Minnie losing their homes. Who knew that WDW was into evictions? Really, I could go either way, but if you are considering it based on a 4 1/2 yo boy, I would go DLR. As for attractions outside of Disney, SoCal and FL are pretty evenly split. At SoCal, you have beaches, Hollywood, other parks, San Francisco, Alcatraz, and Catalina. In FL, you have beaches on 2 sides, other parks, and the Ringling Museum in Sarasota. FL beaches seem to lend themselves more to shell collecting than SoCal beaches do. To travel offsite to these sites at either coast will take some driving. With driving concerned, I would take FL driving over SoCal driving any day! DLR has more local AP holders and rarely has an "off season" anymore. WDW has fewer AP holders and usually has a more defined "off season." I started my Disney experience in high school at Disneyland. I spent my last year of college in Orlando with an AP to WDW. When it came to take my kids to a Disney park for the first time, I had to draw on my experiences in both resorts. At that time, we lived smack dab in the middle of the country, so we could have gone either way. My son was a tad younger than your son will be when he goes, so I decided that it would be less overwhelming for them to start with DLR and then work their way up. It was much nicer to stay at DLR and walk everywhere and not have to worry about the transportation time to get anywhere. It really is a person opinion. It depends on why you are going and what you want to accomplish. I really am not biased in either way. I would go visit both tomorrow if I could! Good luck with your decision!

This argument goes on in our house! My kids have been to DLR 3 times in 3 years. We just came back from a trip to WDW in early December. My son said last night that we need to get back to DLR. My daughter replied that she is sticking with WDW. It is my opinion that WDW has more for girls (especially after the Fantasyland renovations are done), and DLR has more for boys when you consider characters and character meals. At WDW, you can't through a stick without finding a princess or a fairy. It really gets old! I'm really depressed that WDW is pushing out Mickey/Minnie (who started it all!) for all these princesses! At DLR, the meals are balanced character wise, and I haven't heard of Mickey or Minnie losing their homes. Who knew that WDW was into evictions? Really, I could go either way, but if you are considering it based on a 4 1/2 yo boy, I would go DLR. As for attractions outside of Disney, SoCal and FL are pretty evenly split. At SoCal, you have beaches, Hollywood, other parks, San Francisco, Alcatraz, and Catalina. In FL, you have beaches on 2 sides, other parks, and the Ringling Museum in Sarasota. FL beaches seem to lend themselves more to shell collecting than SoCal beaches do. To travel offsite to these sites at either coast will take some driving. With driving concerned, I would take FL driving over SoCal driving any day! DLR has more local AP holders and rarely has an "off season" anymore. WDW has fewer AP holders and usually has a more defined "off season." I started my Disney experience in high school at Disneyland. I spent my last year of college in Orlando with an AP to WDW. When it came to take my kids to a Disney park for the first time, I had to draw on my experiences in both resorts. At that time, we lived smack dab in the middle of the country, so we could have gone either way. My son was a tad younger than your son will be when he goes, so I decided that it would be less overwhelming for them to start with DLR and then work their way up. It was much nicer to stay at DLR and walk everywhere and not have to worry about the transportation time to get anywhere. It really is a person opinion. It depends on why you are going and what you want to accomplish. I really am not biased in either way. I would go visit both tomorrow if I could! Good luck with your decision!

Wow, you list the Ringling Museum in Florida, but leave out such attractions in California as Yosemite National Park, San Diego Zoo, Napa/Sonoma and the rest of wine country, Beverly Hills, Knott's Berry Farm, Norton Simon Museum, Redwoods National Park, Venice Beach, Getty Center, Big Sur/Monterey/Carmel, Santa Barbara, Lake Tahoe, San Francisco Exploratorium, Joshua Tree National Park, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Palm Springs, San Diego Wild Animal Park, etc. Also, Las Vegas is only a stone's throw from the Disneyland/SoCal area. The existence of the mountains alone in California provide the opportunity to do so many things that you can't do in Florida...such as ski.

You may not be aware of this, but the attraction "Soarin'" is entirely filmed in California. In no other state, will you find such a diversity of landscapes and things to do.

Don't get me wrong...I love Florida....but there is alot more to do and see in California. You could spend months in the state and not even hit the tip of the iceberg.

I don't know if it should be a one versus the other. Why not visit both in different years?

With either, plan on visiting some of the other area attractions (Seaworld, Universal) if those appeal to you. And at DL, make a side trip to the SD Zoo and Wild Animal Parks to take the place of AK at WDW.

Jacktwo, I was trying to be concise. There is much more that was not listed in FL, too. I was just trying to point out that there is much more to see at both park states other than Disney. That was not a slam against SoCal. If you note, I listed many more items for SoCal than I did for FL. I also was aiming for the child's age, too. The Ringling Museum (minus the art) is so different than anything else I have seen. Still, I would take FL traffic over SoCal any day. I'm sorry if you think that I slammed the state of CA. I did nothing of the sort. The point is that there is much to do in both states.

I love California. It's beautiful and interesting and there is tons to do that will fit every taste. I love much about Florida but I do think that California has it beat. Just my taste.

I agree with the above poster, go to both in different years. Both have a lot to offer.

I love both, but I love DL a little more than WDW, and a lot more than the MK.

Both bring different things to the table, but the Walt-was-here factor of DL is truly magical.

I love both, but I love DL a little more than WDW, and a lot more than the MK.

Both bring different things to the table, but the Walt-was-here factor of DL is truly magical.

I love your Steve Martin Disney Quote. It's cool to think about Walt walking down main street, living above the firehouse, Steve Martin working in the Magic Shop, the place where it all began. The nostalgia is amazing. I still get goosebumps when I walk into DL. If you look back at pictures DL hasn't changed very much. I was a WDW vet and thought that could never change. We thought lets go do once and say we did it. Man oh man how I am hooked. Disneyland is amazing. We have been up and down the coast of California the last three years and it has been breathtaking. We did San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado...what the Grand Floridian got its idea from) and this past year we did Golden Gate/SF and Yosemite National Park. If you've never made it to YNP then you must go. Book it today. Go in the late spring early summer to catch the waterfalls. Simply a marvel to see one of God's creations. The tall trees and the redwoods are gorgeous.

I will go back someday to WDW but DL has got me locked down with the World of Color due in the spring and Little Mermaid and Carsland up the year after.

We went to Disneyland last March only for 4 days - we moved to the Northwest about 3 yrs ago and airfare was cheap and they had the military tickets so we decided to go before DH deployed.

Disneyland got really crowded - but it was March and school vacations and such, maybe? But after about 2pm it was too crowded for us. I had never been at WDW and seen it get that crowded. Then again, I have not been to WDW in during a school break either.

But - the nice thing we really liked about DL was that everything was within walking distance. We stayed at Paradise Pier and never used the rental car. Oh - and my kids said Pirates was far superior at DL - LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter