• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyworld vs Disneyland - need help deciding

mellowme

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

I'm having a hard time deciding which would be a better idea at this point in time. Our little one is a toddler at the moment and when looking up height restrictions at both parks, it apears we'll only be able to go on a handful of rides, which is fine, 'cause we'd probably do just that anyways. With that said, is there much else for a toddler to do at Disneyworld and Disneyland other than riding on rides?

I would really like to go to one or the other, but would like to go to the Resort that has more for a toddler to do and save the other Resort for a later time.

Which would you recommend?... and which attractions at that Resort would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

DisneyWorld is much better esepcially if you are planning a longer trip.

Don't worry too much about height restrictions. Disney will keep your toddler mesmerized with character greetings, interactive exhibits, shows, parades, and fireworks.

It is truly a magical experience to be there with a toddler

Thanks so much for your reply.

We'll be visiting for about 10-12 days, but want to head to Sea World and what not as well.

I don't know that WDW is better, but it is different. DL is much smaller and it's much easier to park hop, it's easier to stay off site and a lot of the local hotels have some amazing rates, it's easier to eat off site as well which can save more $$. :) You should stop by the DL section of the boards, it's down towards the bottom, there's a whole section devoted to DL and So Cal. :)

Hi everyone,

I'm having a hard time deciding which would be a better idea at this point in time. Our little one is a toddler at the moment and when looking up height restrictions at both parks, it apears we'll only be able to go on a handful of rides, which is fine, 'cause we'd probably do just that anyways. With that said, is there much else for a toddler to do at Disneyworld and Disneyland other than riding on rides?

I would really like to go to one or the other, but would like to go to the Resort that has more for a toddler to do and save the other Resort for a later time.

Which would you recommend?... and which attractions at that Resort would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

We've been to both, and I would have to say a lot depends on where you are traveling from. If one is waaaay further than the other, that would be the deciding factor for me. Otherwise each one has good points, and you can't go wrong at either one.
SoCal has beautiful beaches, Disneyland & California Adventure San Diego Zoo, Sea World & Legoland. Orlando has the 4 Disney parks, Sea World, and Universal, but I would skip Universal completely with a child that age.

Disneyland is definitely easier to get around, and the offsite options for lodging and dining that are right across the street make it pretty flexible. WDW has their own internal buses, but it could take a long time to get from one place to another. Something to keep in mind if you are going to take mid-day breaks with a toddler - its not convenient to zip back to the room for a nap unless you are staying on the monorail and are at Epcot or MK.

Also, if you already know when you want to go, read up on the construction going on in both places and see if any of that sways you.

I am doing Disneyland with my (then) 19 month old and then am planning a trip to WDW when he is older and can do more, have more energy and require less down time.
I plan on spending 5 days there but taking it easy most days (you can then head down to San Diego and take in Sea World and the zoo for the rest of your trip). There really is a lot of rides that he can do, if you look past the height restricted ones that he can't do. Shows, parades and I guess it is my "excuse" to see the Land and get out of the norm of WDW for me. Plus since he is under 3 it would be cheaper now to go to the other coast for me then when he is older.

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

We are going to Disneyland this year. There are only a few rides she can't do. I'm excited for the Indian Jones Ride personally. Also there is less planning needed so it can be a fun Disney vacation with less prep. I haven't been, this will be our first time. What sold me was that it's smaller with all the rides of magic Kingdom so much more doable with a little one in our eyes. When she is 4 or 5 we will hit Disneyworld.

to me it seems that Disneyland has more for toddlers than world.

We've been to both in the past year, WDW for 12 nights and 3 smaller trips to DL. We prefer WDW, as do our girls (ages 2 and 4).

We love staying onsite at WDW because of the amenties, whereas at DL the onsite hotels are way expensive (to us). The girls love the pools & riding the buses to and from the parks.

As for the parks, we find that there is a lot more to do at WDW. During our 12 night trip to WDW last fall, we were really able to tour the parks at a kids pace. We had 10 park days plus 1 MNSSHP night as well as 1 day at Sea World (which we definitely would do at least 2 Sea World days next time because the shows are timed so you cant see very many if you aren't staying all day). None of us were really "ready" to leave, even after 12 nights! But at DL, we've been 3 times for 2-3 days each time (Oct. 2010, Dec. 2010, and March 2011). On our last trip, we only spent 1 full day and 1 half day in the parks because we were done doing everything we wanted to do. The girls were ready to leave as well. A lot of the rides were closed, there were no fireworks, or parades so there wasn't much to stay for. We'll continue to go to DL to get our "Disney fix" because its only a 3 horu drive, but our hearts will always be at WDW and we can't wait to go back!

Ah no. When I read the replies about DL I think to myself, yes that makes sense, sounds like a good idea kind of thing. Then when I read the replies about DW, what is said sounds good too.

I'm more excited about the prospect of going to DW. The flight difference is quite a lot though. It's about 2 hours and some to get to DL and 10 hours and some to get to DW.

Aaaah, it's so difficult to decide.

We have been to WDW quite a few times, and went for the first time to Disneyland in February. We have three kids, and the youngest is 2 and a half. We have decided that our next trip will probably be to Disneyland.

While I really love WDW, the ease of transportation at Disneyland made for a much more kid-friendly trip. My husband HATES dragging the stroller off and on the bus at WDW, and so much time is lost traveling back and forth to the parks and resorts that mid day breaks were a much bigger ordeal. We try to stay deluxe at WDW to minimize transportation hassles, but if you're going to visit all the parks you can't avoid some bus rides!

The attractions were very comparable - we didn't feel like we missed much (except longer walks between attractions!) Without a doubt Fantasyland at Disneyland is much, much better. With a toddler, you'll be spending a lot of time in that part of the park. Also, my kids didn't want to leave Toontown. I'm not sure if the WDW Toontown has closed down already, but even when it was open it didn't compare to Disneyland's Toontown.

So I would most definitely vote for Disneyland in your situation.

It will be a win win situation no matter what you choose! I just love Disneyland, but that is because we hardly get to go and it cost us much more $ (because of plane tickets). Has your toddler flown before? Wondering about a 10 hour plane trip. I am sure all would be fine though.

We are Disneyland regulars and I tend to believe that people connect better with the park they went to as a kid (if they did). We love Disneyland for its smaller, more intimate feel. It is easy to get around, less walking and you can easily do it all in 3 days, 4-5 with a really little one. But, we also love WDW- but it is very different. It takes a lot more time and planning.

Our plan is to go to DL annually and WDW about every 5 years. But, we are also in AZ, so it is a 5-6 hour drive to DL.

For me that flight difference would make the decision. We've done WDW twice with our toddler, once when she was 16mo and once at 31mo, and had a blast both times. But for us, the flight to Orlando is only 2.5 hours. We haven't done Disneyland yet, in part because that's a 4 hour flight if we can find something direct but will more likely mean a plane change along the way and I'm not interested in trying to keep DD2 happy through two take-offs and two landings, or doing the airport sprint to make a connection in an unfamiliar airport with three kids, a stroller, and our bags.

Thanks so much for all your comments everyone. :)

I have finally decided that Disneyland it is. :cheer2:

Yay ~ that would be my choice! We love Disneyland *WDW was fun ~ but IMO is too big for little ones. S CA weather is beautiful so much better than Orlando.

I love them both so I try to go to whichever one I can get better airfare/hotel deals for. So far it has worked out pretty even; since 2003 we have been to DL three times, WDW twice and Universal Orlando once.

Great choice - the 10 hour flight would have been a dealbreaker for me at that age. Have a great trip..we're hoping to get back there in August too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter