Disneyworld needs updated to better attract tweens and teens

Many of us who are of an age to have visited the parks since in the (cough;)) late 70's are certainly glad that they have evolved and added new attractions over the years...otherwise we would've stopped visiting years ago; certainly not multiple times each year.

Still hoping to see the adult/villian park that's been rumored for years via different imagineer's visions. Concept is supposed to only admit few thousand of people at a time for "adult" experience. A less costly verious was either AK or the MK converted for a nightime experience on random nights (akin to special events such as MNSSHP). imo it'd pack in the 'grown-ups' in droves for a night out sans the kiddos and the oh-so-cool teen-set would clamor for inclusion.

Many of us who are of an age to have visited the parks since in the (cough;)) late 70's are certainly glad that they have evolved and added new attractions over the years...otherwise we would've stopped visiting years ago; certainly not multiple times each year.

Still hoping to see the adult/villian park that's been rumored for years via different imagineer's visions. Concept is supposed to only admit few thousand of people at a time for "adult" experience. A less costly verious was either AK or the MK converted for a nightime experience on random nights (akin to special events such as MNSSHP). imo it'd pack in the 'grown-ups' in droves for a night out sans the kiddos and the oh-so-cool teen-set would clamor for inclusion.

Food and Wine - Packs in the Adults in Epcot on the Weekends! To support your point. :)

However, as stated by many many posters, Disney should continue to improve things and evolve, but not by sacrificing what makes Disney a magical place for people of ALL ages.

I clicked on this thread and I have to say the reposnses really shock me. They are so overwhelmingly one way...and it's the opposite of what logic would dictate.

The responses seem to be saying that Disney should be magical for everyone...so we shouldn't add anything. Huh? If we really want it to be magical for everyone, adding things can only help in that pursuit. Nothing is lost by gaining.

I couldn't care less for signature restaurants or really any table service meals. But I would never say that because they aren't for me and my family, they shouldn't be part of Disney. We don't bother with most shows. They aren't what Disney is about, for us. I would never suggest that therefore, others are "wrong" and shows shouldn't exist. More is better.

Also, how exactly are thrill rides un-Disney? Space Mountain and Expedition Everest and Tower of Terror seem pretty darn Disney to me. Weird.

I clicked on this thread and I have to say the reposnses really shock me. They are so overwhelmingly one way...and it's the opposite of what logic would dictate.

The responses seem to be saying that Disney should be magical for everyone...so we shouldn't add anything. Huh? If we really want it to be magical for everyone, adding things can only help in that pursuit. Nothing is lost by gaining.

I couldn't care less for signature restaurants or really any table service meals. But I would never say that because they aren't for me and my family, they shouldn't be part of Disney. We don't bother with most shows. They aren't what Disney is about, for us. I would never suggest that therefore, others are "wrong" and shows shouldn't exist. More is better.

Also, how exactly are thrill rides un-Disney? Space Mountain and Expedition Everest and Tower of Terror seem pretty darn Disney to me. Weird.

And yet another lucid post. The concept that Disney should be for all including those thrill seekers doesn't sound like a crazy idea. :)

I realize this topic has strayed a little from the original teen/tween appeal in Disney but I wanted to briefly comment on that.

As a late teen (19) who just returned from a trip to Disney, I can say that I don't think Disney needs to focus on appealing to teens/tweens. The parks are designed to appeal to the child in us all, and I have no shame in admitting that's why I love the World so much. I still love riding the Dumbos just as much as I like EE, or ToT.

I choose to spend my money to go to Disney for an experience. It's not just rides, food and shows and I think most hardcore Disney fans can agree with that.

As for all the talk of improvements, changes, etc I think there will always be people who want to see something different and Disney realizes that. As Walt hoped, Disney will never be completed and will always be changing to offer something new to its returning guests. That being said, there will always be people who are unhappy with the changes. You just can't please everyone. The way I see it is if you don't want to see the Mine Train, or the proposed Avatarland, then don't visit those.

My 2 cents is that each of the parts (which are great now) would benefit from another more thrilling type of ride. DHS has lots of room for something good (can you say replace backlot tour), Epcot has some so so attractions taking up space and AK needs another main attraction. MK is pretty good just as it is in my view.

Again, for people who are refusing to read entire posts or even quote posts properly. Quotes from a few posters who are saying YES to more rides YES to thrill rides:

I don't *think* that anyone has said no new rides....

To clarify my opinion, I feel that Disney is fine the way it is. But, Disney is constantly evolving and adding, and I think that's great. But, the OP was kind of insinuating that there was nothing to appeal to teens/Tweens and I just think that your teens/Tweens would have to be into the Disney thing...just as a child would ( not all kids like Disney ), and just as an adult would.

Agree as well. I don't feel the majority of people are saying "NO NEW ADDITIONS" or "NO NEW RIDES!" I feel they are saying we want Disney to be Disney and not the average amusement park. Even Universal has stepped things up to keep things above just a place full of rides. Just with Disney, it is a complete experience and I always and will always love it.

Just because the number of posters are *more* for Disney remaining *Disney like it is* doesn't mean everyone doesn't have their own opinions. That should tell you what the majority of people think about what Disney really means, and is not just *another* park with lots of thrill rides. There is much more to Disney than that, and I think that's what we're trying to convey by *our* opinions. We're not all lemmings, but individuals, with personal *opinions*

honestly, i feel like WDW has done a good job of implementing both thrill rides and family rides lately. there was a spurt of thrill rides, but their recent offerings were more family oriented. i honestly think they are striving for a good balance.

I grew up my whole life going to Disney. We also went to Universal and Busch Gardens etc, but I always loooved Disney. I loved thrill rides too, but WDW had a special feeling to me. I do see how not all teens will love it. Although I know many that do. I agree Disney does not want to create thrill parks, however they have added some big eticket rides that are thrill rides and that draws people in so i suspect they will continue to do this in the future.

How does that = NO NEW RIDES, NO NEW THRILL RIDES, NO NEW NOTHING? :confused3 Those are just a handful of quotes as well and there are many more throughout the thread. Sounds to me that the majority of people are wanting Disney to continue to evolve, but again not turn into a Six Flags or etc.

Maybe there is one or two individuals who have expressed that there should be no new additions, but those individuals, as logic dictates, have a right to their opinion. It does help though to actually read the postings by people though. Just my two cents! :teacher:

As for all the talk of improvements, changes, etc I think there will always be people who want to see something different and Disney realizes that. As Walt hoped, Disney will never be completed and will always be changing to offer something new to its returning guests. That being said, there will always be people who are unhappy with the changes. You just can't please everyone. The way I see it is if you don't want to see the Mine Train, or the proposed Avatarland, then don't visit those.

I agree, this is true, you can't please everyone. I like that Disney continues to evolve and I do think they are striking a great balance between thrills, chills, and family fun. :D Of course there are people who will disagree with that, but that is just my take on things.

I am in the process of planning a trip in October. I have three kids, DS19, DD6 and DS5. My 19yo is not coming along for several reasons, which I was feeling guilty about. However, in talking with him earlier this week, he said he didn't even want to come along. He said if we were going to Universal he would be disappointed, but not so much for Disney. Of course, I hope my house is still standing when I return! ;)

I am in the process of planning a trip in October. I have three kids, DS19, DD6 and DS5. My 19yo is not coming along for several reasons, which I was feeling guilty about. However, in talking with him earlier this week, he said he didn't even want to come along. He said if we were going to Universal he would be disappointed, but not so much for Disney. Of course, I hope my house is still standing when I return! ;)

Haha house partay. :D :dance3: I hope the house is still standing for you too!

North of Mouse said:
Absolutely, you are allowed to offer *your* opinion, just like everyone else is allowed to offer *their* opinions. Aren't you saying *why* it should be the way *you* want it just like others are stating why they think it should be the way *they* want it?? :confused3

Just because the number of posters are *more* for Disney remaining *Disney like it is* doesn't mean everyone doesn't have their own opinions. That should tell you what the majority of people think about what Disney really means, and is not just *another* park with lots of thrill rides. There is much more to Disney than that, and I think that's what we're trying to convey by *our* opinions. We're not all lemmings, but individuals, with personal *opinions*. :goodvibes

I think you just made my point for me.

Outgrowing Disney? Just a phase. Memories and nostalgia will prevail after the teenage years.

Haha house partay. :D :dance3: I hope the house is still standing for you too!

Hahaha, I know. He even said last night that he was going to make a Facebook Event for it now.

Poor kid can't get away with too much tho, Grandma and Grandpa live right down the road.

Returning to WDW in 2010 after an almost 40 year hiatus, I was simultaneously glad and disappointed that the Magic Kingdom was still physically very close to what I remembered from my first visits. Glad for the nostalgic value, disappointed that things I remembered as shiny and new were now much older. But that's a statement to the passing of time itself, not so much WDW. MK is the sacred cow that most adults return to for the memories, not so much new experiences.

But it was also the first time I'd seen Epcot, HS, or AK. Apart from Soarin and TT, I felt like the rest of Epcot was stuck in the 80's (Captain EO) and 90's (Ellen's whatever). I didn't get the same feeling I got from MK decades ealier that would make me want to return.

Same for HS and AK. HS isn't even a full day for us and brings back memories of and mental comparisons to Universal Studios Hollywood from the 90's. AK reminds us of the San Antonio Zoo but with rides. They were both fun, but I just didn't get that song-stuck-in-your-head feeling that I get with MK.

In fact, now that I think about it, when I think of WDW the first mental image is of MK. The other parks are only of secondary consideration.

I think that is how my seven year old sees it as well. MK is the only park he refers to as "Magic Kingdom" in an aggregate sense. The others? They are "Toy Story" or "Test Track" or "Dinosaur Ride" - not HS or Epcot or AK.

Is it important that WDW attract tweens and teens? Of course. They are the future parents who will be returning with their kids years and decades from now.

I don't know if thrill rides will do it, to be honest they all have a relatively short shelf life in terms of entertainment value. I think Disney needs to think in a much broader sense, and do "things" that increase the long term nostalgic value of the other parks to bring them up to the same caliber as MK.

Because MK is the big daddy in terms of long term memory equity.

Returning to WDW in 2010 after an almost 40 year hiatus, I was simultaneously glad and disappointed that the Magic Kingdom was still physically very close to what I remembered from my first visits. Glad for the nostalgic value, disappointed that things I remembered as shiny and new were now much older. But that's a statement to the passing of time itself, not so much WDW. MK is the sacred cow that most adults return to for the memories, not so much new experiences.

But it was also the first time I'd seen Epcot, HS, or AK. Apart from Soarin and TT, I felt like the rest of Epcot was stuck in the 80's (Captain EO) and 90's (Ellen's whatever). I didn't get the same feeling I got from MK decades ealier that would make me want to return.

Same for HS and AK. HS isn't even a full day for us and brings back memories of and mental comparisons to Universal Studios Hollywood from the 90's. AK reminds us of the San Antonio Zoo but with rides. They were both fun, but I just didn't get that song-stuck-in-your-head feeling that I get with MK.

In fact, now that I think about it, when I think of WDW the first mental image is of MK. The other parks are only of secondary consideration.

I think that is how my seven year old sees it as well. MK is the only park he refers to as "Magic Kingdom" in an aggregate sense. The others? They are "Toy Story" or "Test Track" or "Dinosaur Ride" - not HS or Epcot or AK.

Is it important that WDW attract tweens and teens? Of course. They are the future parents who will be returning with their kids years and decades from now.

I don't know if thrill rides will do it, to be honest they all have a relatively short shelf life in terms of entertainment value. I think Disney needs to think in a much broader sense, and do "things" that increase the long term nostalgic value of the other parks to bring them up to the same caliber as MK.

Because MK is the big daddy in terms of long term memory equity.

Good points. My teen age son suggested that Disney needs to add things that speak to his generation. He thinks there should be something that celebrates the Disney channel of his childhood including all those fun Disney channel movies of the early 2000's. He also thinks the new magicband interaction that Disney is planning misses the essence of today's teens. He says Disney needs to be more interactive, but the interaction has to go both ways. The customer catch just be talked to by scuttle, but the visitor needs to be able to talk to scuttle. He said laugh floor provides a great model, the audience can have a significant impact on the show. He is looking forward to the Queue at Test track more than the improved ride.

But, he also thinks Disney Hollywood studios should be beating universal at their game, and Disney is woefully losing that battle. He also agrees with PP about enjoying the freedom in the parks. That will always be a plus.

So, generally speaking, it seems like teen/tween girls don't mind the parks staying the way they are or continuing with the same type of rides. Teen/tween boys would like some change.

I know my daughter always loved everything Disney where as my son was much happier at Universal.

Outgrowing Disney? Just a phase. Memories and nostalgia will prevail after the teenage years.

To be honest, I've noticed a lot kids my son's age (16) talking about wanting to go back to Disney to ride Dumbo, Tea Cups, etc... I think that at one point in the teenage years, most kids realize they're growing up (and they'll be adults sooner than they thought), so there is this nostalgia that takes over.

Being from Florida, most everyone took their little kids to WDW when my son and daughter were young (most everyone still does take their little kids) frequently because it was only two hours away, so for most FL kids, Disney's a big part of their "early years". That said, most teens would still want WDW to add more thrill rides. I find myself in the "if WDW wants to compete with UOR, they better get building more thrill rides" boat. Generally, a new thrill ride will get more attention than a new dark ride (just look at FLE vs. Cars Land!).

I guess I just don't see how a Forbidden Journey or Spiderman-like attraction (both non-roller coasters) would take away from Disney's magic, or even the family feel of the park.

Star Wars Land in HS with some thrilling attractions (again, doesn't have to be roller coasters) would be awesome for families, while also having a cool factor for teens and adults.

I guess I just don't see how a Forbidden Journey or Spiderman-like attraction (both non-roller coasters) would take away from Disney's magic, or even the family feel of the park.

Star Wars Land in HS with some thrilling attractions (again, doesn't have to be roller coasters) would be awesome for families, while also having a cool factor for teens and adults.

I am a big proponent of the Star Wars Land idea!! :thumbsup2

There's certainly nothing wrong with planning or building headliners. Where does anyone get that people are saying 'don't add anything'?

A ride does not have to be a thrill ride to be a headliner. Look at Soarin'. Look at some of the most enduring rides in MK.....Thunder Mountain is hardly a thrill coaster and it's one of the most loved.

Disney knows what they're doing. They know if they completely change the timber of new attractions, they will change who comes to the parks. They don't want to alienate families. And they know they can continue to attract teens and young adults with creative and brilliant rides. And yes, they will continue to develop rides with 'thrill' components, like Mission to Mars, while also maintaining the imagination and other kinds of attractions that define who Disney is.

Disney is not Universal Studios. I don't get cranky at the car deaerlship because I can't buy a motorcycle there. They are different things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter