• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyworld and Thunderstorms

MMD281

Earning My Ears
After months of waiting, we're finally about to go Disneyworld this weekend! We're all very excited but... I'm looking at the weather report and I see thunderstorms forecast for the whole week. NOOOOOO!!!! Can somebody talk me off of the ledge here and reassure me that my entire trip is not about to be ruined by constant rain? :sad2:

1. Rain in Florida typically lasts a short time. It runs heavy for 30mins to an hour or so and then doesn't rain for the rest of the day. At home, people typically wait it out. For instance, I wait for it to stop raining before I go run errands . It's predictable. On your vacation, my suggestion is either go inside ( like go to the land pavilion in Epcot, go shopping, go eat) or to a show like Beauty & Beast in HS. It will end soon.

2. Weather people know ****. Our humidity is so high here they always say it's always going to rain.

3. WDW and Orlando at large is such a big place that it might be raining in one park and clear in another.

4. You'll enjoy that rain when it cools you down.

5. Carry a poncho everyday. I mean it. The one day you don't bring it, it will rain.

6. It typically rains either just in the morning or just the afternoon. Figure out what time of day it will be raining- plan accordingly.

I have lived in Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Pensacola since I was 5.

You're not wasting money. It will be fine. Rain has never ruined my vacation.

We found that the 15 minute interval reports that weather.com offers the day of were extremely accurate on this last trip (one time it was off by about 5 minutes). So, check it before you leave the room and you should generally know when it will rain during the day and be able to be inside during this time.

Like another pp said, take a poncho with you everyday just in case. Last year was our first time going in August and I was really worried about rain everyday, well I worried for nothing. It did rain every afternoon mostly only a short period of time. Out of the entire week, we had one day that it started raining in the afternoon and continued for the rest of the night. That night turned out to be one of the best. We headed to MK and because of the rain so many people were leaving the park which thinned out the crowds tremendously...we had a blast! Don't worry...have fun!

Totally won't ruin it!! We've experienced pretty much exactly what the posters before have said - VERY heavy sudden downpours that last a brief time.
If it rains, run for cover and then come back out. If it rains all day - go shopping instead. You'll stuill hav a great time!!

Some of our best vacation memories come from putting on the ponchos and running in the rain from ride to ride. Crowds thin out and the kids loved it! You will have a wonderful time regardless ! Invest in good quality reusable ponchos. Nothing worse than a ripped up poncho with holes everywhere. I also pack a dry outfit in a zip lock for my daughter. That way if she does get wet and if it stops raining she wont be complaining about being wet. Have a great vacation !

Go to www.weather.com, put 32830 into location (that is the WDW Zip Code), and then look at the hourly. For the first few hours it gives 15 minute intervals and then for the next 42 it gives hourly. Look at the precipitation probability and that will give you a better idea.

When you look at any long range forecast it gives the highest percentage probability for any time during the day.

Thanks everyone! I feel much better about the forecast now. I do have one more question though...

I was searching about and I found mention of flooding in the parks to the ankle level after it rains. I suppose it probably runs off fairly soon but does anyone know anything about that?

That's rarely a problem in only a few spots in the parks if it happens to pour for a long time like through the night, but yes it runs off quick. Disney has no desire to drown it's guests.
In other words, it's not an issue. Watch where youre stepping and avoid puddles.

We usually don't get to the rainy season until the end of May but its coming early this year. I drove through a torrent on my way home this afternoon but by the time I arrived at the house, it had stopped and cleared off. Afternoon storms are going to be the norm until late fall.

Thanks everyone! I feel much better about the forecast now. I do have one more question though...

I was searching about and I found mention of flooding in the parks to the ankle level after it rains. I suppose it probably runs off fairly soon but does anyone know anything about that?

We were there a couple years ago and it poured while we were in magic kingdom. We were in Tomorrowland at the time and right near the entrance to the astro orbiter it was ankle deep. It was some of the most fun of my vacation running around in it with my 4 year old cousin. You just have to make the most of the situation if it does end up raining

Not really worried anymore. Im pretty much expecting it but thats ok. I got the kids a Lightning McQueen & Disney Princenn rain poncho from target so even that should be fun for them. Plus I may welcome the cool rain. My kids have never been in a high humidity climate before so this will be new to them.

We went last time in October 2011, and for the first two days of our trip it poured all day. Literally, at Epcot we got rained on for 12 hours. And we still had a blast! A lot of people left the parks and we walked on several rides with no wait at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter