DisneySea Sells Out

Another Voice

Charter Member of The Element
Tickets for DisneySea in Tokyo are available for purchase thirty days in advance of the day you wish to use them. Unlike tickets to the American parks, you must make a “reservation” to attend the park on a specific date. Guests at the official hotels are guaranteed entry if they buy tickets through a package with the room. You must also specify which park you will visit on each day, “park hopping” is all but forbidden.

Tickets for DisneySea are selling out for each day the very day that the tickets go on sale, i.e. unless you buy your ticket the first morning of “thirty-day window” you can’t even get in the park (think rock concert). Indications are that over one million tickets will be sold BEFORE the park opens to the public. With the number of requests coming in per day, there appears to be no let up in sight for many, many months. And a flourishing black market appears to have begun (I guess it’s time to start checking eBay).

Can anyone guess the number of months it took DCA to sell the same number of tickets DisneySea sold before it even opened? I’ll bet some analyst in Burbank is going to have that answer on Mr. Eisner’s desk first thing Monday morning…

Thanks, Another Voice, for the info. I'm not surprised by the response to this park. The pix I've seen are phenomenal. I simply can't believe DisneySea is *simply* a theme park! An incredible sense of place filters through even the photographs. (The ones I've seen are on Mouseplanet.)

Phil.

I would hate to be without park hopping, but in TDS's case that really doesn't seem to be all that necessary until sometime down the road, by which time I am sure they'll also change that rule, just like they seem to be doing at DCA (where it seems to be essential).

From what I've picked up from Marc's columns and posts on LaughingPlace.

If you go for one or two days there is no park hopping. But if you buy a 3 or 4 day ticket. The first two days are either for TDL or TDS(designated at time of purchase), but you can park hop on days 3 and 4.

I wonder if Disney management will see the handwriting on the wall in this. True, one has to say that 3 Billion sounds like an insane amount of money to drop on a park, but if that park and its hotels etc. sell out for months and months, how long would it take for it to pay for itself? Plus, can you imagine the years and years of great attendance to follow.

Maybe they should consider doing the same insane act here in the U.S. What if Epcot or Animal Kingdom or DCA for that matter had been built like DS? Disney could pull in more cash than any company in history!

It's what Walt would have done, or at least, he would have tried!

The secret of DisneySea’s success goes back to something P.T. Barnum discovered – give people something they WANT to see, and they will beat down your door to give you money.

Disney has been conducting a “campaign” of sorts for a while now to show why California Adventure is an “economically superior” park. There have been a lot of public statements about how “crazy” the Oriental Land Company was to spend this much money on a theme park and an awfully lot of corporate spinners out here on the ‘net trying to make the company line the “buzz”. Rather than investing money in the DCA, they've tried to use marketing & promotion to make the public "want" to visit California Adnveture. OLC spent the marketing money on the park itself, figuring that the end product would speak for itself and make the public "want" to see it.

Fortunately, facts have clear shown which approach is correct. All indications are that DisneySea is going to be a roaring success. The day tickets are selling as fast as they available and “rumors” say that advance booking through the hotels are very strong. And this is all happening in the tenth year of a recession in Japan (although most people would call it a depression). Give people what they want…

As for park hopping, that all started with the Disney/MGM Studios. There was very little hopping between The Magic Kingdom and EPCOT Center because both parks were pretty much full day visits. Park Hopping as we know it only started with the Studios and was a way for people to fill out the rest of the day when they had finished seeing what there was to see at the Studios. Given the sizes of both Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea, I don’t think there’s going to be much a demand for it. In Anaheim there is a strong demand for park hopping solely because of the weakness of California Adventure

Personally, it’s just a pleasure to see Walt’s business model (exceed people’s expectations) triumph over Eisner’s (people will pay for The Brand).

one has to say that 3 Billion sounds like an insane amount of money to drop on a park
... but it sounds even more insane to spend $5 billion for a cable channel. Aren't ad revenues down across the industry, and haven't they been that way since before the deal went through? No one has yet been able to show me why it was a good idea.
but if that park and its hotels etc. sell out for months and months, how long would it take for it to pay for itself? Plus, can you imagine the years and years of great attendance to follow
Wouldn't it have made more sense to get a billion dollars' worth of new monorail, then drop $2 billion on each US park complex? Put half the investment in park renovations and improvements, half in a DVC/hotel property that contains/has perferred access to an otherwise pay-for-play mini-land, or multi-part, in-depth attraction(s).

I know we're in a big economic slump, and that's a pretty legitimate reason bookings are down at the Values and Moderates: some folks who otherwise would have stayed there just couldn't afford a vacation. But the typical market for the Deluxes and Home Away From Homes is more immune to slumps: quite a few will make their trips, just the same (even if some try out a Moderate, this year).

The highest end of the market is the most recession-proof. I honestly don't think people would bark much about the pay-for-play additions, as long as they were innovative, entertaining, and extraordinarily well themed. The DVC-plus resort would sell out quickly (with an instant surge of cash from some kind of "upgrade" offer to current DVCer's).

Plus, aren't you supposed to feed your horse in the slow times? So you can ride him for everything he's worth when things start getting good again? The parks have long been used like an ATM to cover losses in other ventures (the phrase "Robbing Peter to pay Paul" springs to mind, for reasons unknown). It's time for that pricey, but important in the long run, XX-millionth visitor servicing.

Sorry for the tangential editorialization, but I'm really disappointed with the current state of the investment strategy in the American park complexes. When I read "TDS sells out," I can't help but think they're being rewarded for putting in so much more than they had to; and I contrast that to reading "WDW and DL resort bookings down X% percent" and thinking they're suffering for putting in so little more than they have to.

But they'll drop the big nickel on a cable channel... I just don't understand.

Jeff

Theme parks in US are a mature business with very little growth possible, IMHO. Will any of you spend more vacation time in the theme parks? Will an average family add days to their vacation to visit yet another theme park? Can more foreign tourists come to Florida? Possible. But would you rather take a Disney cruise? See a Broadway play? Numbers say Yes. Japan, a Disney obsessed country has only one Disney theme park with highest attendance of any. That sounds like a place for another one.
Cable TV, Cruises, Music industry, Broadway, DisneyQuest are growth possibilities. Many will fail, some will succeed. You got to take a chance if you want to win.

...I tried to say that but it got wordy and I quit (hey, I'm not Landbaron)...I agree with your evaluation. How many more people realistically will travel to Orlando or can Orlando handle?
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

Euro Disney, Animal Kingdom, Disney/MGM Studio, DisneySea, even most of America were not his vision. Most of the concepts pre-dated his arrival or were presented to him in a substantially different format then the “end” result. The only completed park he had input from the beginning was California Adventure – which should serve as a warning to all mankind. In fact, the vast majority of design problems with Euro Disney are a direct result of his “input” into the process. Beyond that, his primary function has been to reduce plans rather than to promote them. The chief reason for DisneySea’s success is that EISNER WAS OUT OF THE WAY. One of the stories making its way through the corporate e-mail is about a sign someone posted in an office somewhere that said “Eisner-free and proud of it” (a parody of an anti-drug poster found in many schools). Boy, after I heard the Baron agreed with the “vision” thing I’m really sorry for missing the meeting.

DisneySea was never intended to be a Florida park and there was never a serious proposal to build it in Florida. In fact, it was never intended to be a “pure” theme park and the Long Beach plans were probably closer to Animal Kingdom in its mixture of natural and man-made attractions (although the park itself was about four times AK’s size). And I do agree that traditional theme parks – the plant a roller coaster in the ground and surround it with snack stands kind – is an over done concept. That, more than anything, else is the core problem with California Adventure. But done right, there is every expectation that a DisneySea park would be as big of a hit in the U.S. as it would be Japan. Again – build something people WANT to see and they will beat a path to your door.

As for Fox Family (once again) – the head of NBC gave an address out here saying that the only things “keeping the lights on at the networks” are reality programs. It seems that the public is tired of reruns, so much so that they will watch people vote for each other to eat sheep eyeballs rather than watch repeats of ‘Friends’ or ‘E.R.’.

So now Michael goes out and spends $5+ Billion on a channel to show reruns of ‘The Power Rangers’. Yea, THAT’S vision.

I absolutely, and truly believe that people will come if they have faith in the quality of the experience. Even in a recession, and even in the US. I am a big fan of Theme Parks in general, and Disney specifically, and I am in CA every year several times on business and I have NO DESIRE to visit DCA. But had it been AMAZING I would have been the first at the door.

Eisner is no fool, folks. We all are irritated at the current Disney strategies for their theme parks and films, but there is nothing that stirs his soul like a successful competitor or a huge missed business opportunity. At the end of the day, attendance and revenue at DCA sucks, and DS is going to blow the dust off of this so-called mature industry in a way that we haven't seen in many years. So once he gets over his pouting and temper tantrums he will see the "light" or he will be shown the door. I have been hoping for a DS hit of this magnitude because I really think we are at a crossroads.

Even though DS is not a competitor, it has to get his blood a pumping!

And it couldn't have been timed any better.

Right on, DisneyFanGuy!

A park with the quality of DS in the U.S. would secure Disney at the top of the industry and return profits for years to come. People will pay for the amazing. I think the early success of Discovery Cove shows this to be true.

Even in the darkest days of Disney in the 70's when their filmed entertainment division was in a slump, the parks were the savior of the company because of the quality of the experience. And they didn't even advertise them! An Amazing Park is recession-proof!

So let me understand it. NBC is saying that network TV is dead. Fox Family is not a good purchase because cable TV does not do well. So what are people watching on TV? I do like PBS.

The concept for an animal-based has a very long history in Disney. In many ways it goes all the way back to when Walt Disney himself wanted to put live animals in ‘The Jungle Cruise’ at Disneyland and to ‘Nature’s Wonderland’ train ride. I heard a long time ago that Walt may have even talked to the San Diego Zoo in the early sixties, but I’ve never heard any details. Early concept art from the late 1960’s for WDW included boat tours and habits in the conservation area of the property*. Concepts for an animal park were also drawn up post-EPCOT Center. And even the old Discovery Island could be considered as an early prototype of the concept, along with some sections of Port Disney/DisneySea Long Beach. So no, Animal Kingdom wasn’t any more of Michael Eisner’s “vision” than it was Busch Garden’s “vision”.

The Swan and Dolphin Resorts were the “vision” of a fleet of lawyers after Disney lost the lawsuit. Eisner’s contributions were to sign the check over to Michael Graves and to ignore the screams from WDI about ruining the sightlines from World Showcase. I had completely forgotten about The Disney Institute, but I think Mr. Eisner wants all of us to do that anyway so the less said the better.

DisneySea proves that Disney still has the right stuff when it wants. The real question is if Burbank really has the guts to build on that kind of scale. There are several plans that will truly amaze everyone, but I don’t think Disney has the confidence in itself anymore to attempt any of them. And if they can do something here that makes my jaw drop as much as DisneySea has, I will gladly have a double helping of crow.

*In a little known irony, most of the conversation area was destroyed to build Animal Kingdom. I even think the company was fined by the EPA over the construction of the park and its support facilities. An interesting example of mixed messages.

But, remember, as Baron, Sara, and I discussed at the mini meet, Eisner is a vision person. Now, whoa, before you start typing, Baron was not endorsing Eisner at all. Instead, I believe that we all agreed that Eisner is not at heart a pure "numbers" guy.
What I really said or at least meant to say if I didn't state it clearly is that:

Ei$ner thinks he is a visionary. Unfortunately a giant hat, guitar or wand over Epcot is not my idea of a visionary. He thinks that's all it takes. Another example of how he just plain - doesn't get it!

And to further the argument that he 'doesn't get it' is the Institute. A colossal mistake. A concept that was inherently WRONG for Disney and a mistake anyway you slice it. But typical of the Ei$ner way of thinking. DCA is another example. And if you look closely at the what EuroDisney was supposed to be and what changes Ei$ner made to the original plan, you'll see again that those changes, more than anything else, caused the failure. Once more, a guy that just doesn't get it! Primary colors, huge icons and exclusive -upscale (read expensive) vacation retreats or ALL the stores throughout the property selling the EXACT same plush toys is NOT Disney. Or at least the Disney that I knew. Sadly, it is very much the current Disney though. Ei$ner's Disney. How's that for vision!

Another Voice. For the first time I have to take issue with you:
Personally, it's just a pleasure to see Walt's business model (exceed people's expectations) triumph over Eisner's (people will pay for The Brand).
Do you really mean to tell me that the huge Hat (pin stand) in the Studios doesn't exceed your expectations. It does mine. I never expected it in a million years!

Oh! - I get it!! We're supposed to like it too!!! - Sorry! ;)

Boy, after I heard the Baron agreed with the "vision" thing I'm really sorry for missing the meeting.
That'll teach you to miss meetings. We also asked for volunteers to set up coffee and rolls for the next meeting. Hearing no objections after the nominations, we unanimously voted for you!!!!! It'll be the second week in July 2002. Thanks!!

Back that meet up to last week in June/2002 and I will bring bagels and coffee (or juice).

I think A.V. meant that DisneySea a la OLC was living up to Walt's business model while Disney itself was still trying to operate under Eisner's.

From the pictures of TDS, I would agree with A.V.

tiggerstheman1,

I know. It was a feeble attempt at humor. I NEVER disagree with AV!!! Please forgive me. But, I've been on vacation in case you haven't heard!!!! ;)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter