Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
we're going to WDW for a quick 3 night stay, Nov 6-9. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to stay at WL during the construction? We are booked into CSR now and I'm thinking about upgrading.
DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the WL is much better than any moderate resort - imo. :)

Thanks so much. This is exactly what I was thinking, but I'm going to keep my reservation for now because I'm anxious to try the new lounge (thinking it will be done by April). Plus, there are several people right here on the DIS staying in a deluxe room before me, so I'll be curiously waiting for their thoughts!

They are hoping it will open by Christmastime, but they've speculated it could be January.

Tonight is our last night in WL Villas. We had dinner at Artist Point, which was fantastic!

We are sad and wish we had another week. WL has been great and we love the atmosphere and short walks to everything. Even being out in the Villas, it's still not a long walk to the main lodge or pool.

The boat to and from MK has been hit or miss. It's a nice way to travel but it's random and not predictable. Still, we like it.

The bus was ok, I guess. Going toward MK, it was great. Getting back to WL, it seemed like always a long wait, no matter where we were. Maybe just a part of busing. We used Uber several times, especially when going to and from dinners at other resorts. It was an absolute must going to and from Lilo's Playhouse at Poly.

Our room was nice and we liked the layout. The combo kitchenette/vanity sink area was spacious and was good for multiple people. The only downside was the way the restroom door opened into the area. Not a huge deal, just a little annoying.

Overall, we liked WLV a lot and felt it had a very homey feel. Would recommend.

Thank you for posting about your stay. @Grand Admiral.

Told Mom tonight about her birthday trip in March! I am not the patient type lol.

She was so excited. After losing Dad she needed something nice to look forward to.

I boated her over to WL in 2014 when we stayed at Poly. She remembered it and was happy that we will be staying there. Then I said "club level" and oh was she happy.

Of course I mentioned the cobbler and I know that will be her fav just like me. :)

This is going to be such a memorable trip - great idea

Hi! Just booked my WL stay: jan 10-17!! Can you please add me to the thread!!
Any chance of the new lounge be open by that time? Thanks!

Congratulations! I'll add your dates to the Lodgers' Log. They hope to have the new lounge open in December, but it could be January.

Just booked our first time at the Villas! We've never been out to the Wilderness Lodge, let alone stayed there, so we're very excited. DH and I will be there Dec. 11 - 13 :) (I guess celebrating my birthday on the 14th!)

This will be so exciting! I'll log your dates and welcome to the thread, @Tuptup.

I own this mug, but I don't use it anymore. I bought it a few years ago? I put it in the dishwasher and the logo completely faded. I assumed (wrongly!) that it was dishwasher safe when I bought it, but it didn't have any cleaning instructions on the bottom so into the dishwasher it went. This is what my sad cup looks like now:

IMG_2197.JPG

Asking for some speculation here. We are renting points from a friend and are hoping to change our June 3-11 ressie at SSR to the Villas on Thursday of this week. Obviously we will be booking at Boulder Ridge Villas, so as long as there is availability. My question is, IF the Villas open in the main lodge by June, is the assumption that those will be a completely different booking category and different (most likely, more) points?

I wanted to try to book those if they came available by June, but I'm thinking it may be too complicated with renting points, as I will be renting the amount (140) it takes for 8 days at Boulder Ridge, and if the main lodge villas (these will be called Copper Creek??) are more points, I'm not sure I can rent more.

A long shot, but as a second question, does anybody have any experience with that?

Just adding that there has been a similar discussion at some point on the WL DVC Expansion thread HERE. You can also post questions of this nature there.

We are in!! Switched our DVC Studio ressie from SSR to Boulder Ridge today! Currently booked for 6/3-6/10 but will be adding 6/11 tomorrow! I am soooo excited! Our first stay at the Lodge!

@ariane37

WOOHOO! I'll add your dates to our log.

we're going to WDW for a quick 3 night stay, Nov 6-9. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to stay at WL during the construction? We are booked into CSR now and I'm thinking about upgrading.

Welcome and I'll add your dates. You might want to look at the WL DVC Expansion thread that I link to two posts above. Many of the amenities are closed. If the closed amenities, like the beach, kids' club, spa, marina...don't impact you then you'll love having a half-empty resort!

Does anyone know what the chances are that the Christmas tree in the lobby will still be up on Jan. 5th? Some friends are eating at Whispering Canyon on Jan. 5th and I'd love for them to see the tree!

Most likely it won't be up. The decorations usually come down a few days after NYD, but it's possible.

Just wanted to make sure that the boats were running and Roaring Forks was open. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2
Yes the boats are running and the Roaring Fork is open and serving a much smaller customer base, "very low crowd" level compared to when the South wing is up and running.

Also the feature pool is open.

Dave

I have been looking at the rooms the past month and nothing seems to be available next week, I am going then and was curious about getting a cancellation discount.....seems they are full due to conventions and the construction closing off half the hotel. But if you can get a room by all means...its my very favorite place! :)

Does anyone know what the chances are that the Christmas tree in the lobby will still be up on Jan. 5th? Some friends are eating at Whispering Canyon on Jan. 5th and I'd love for them to see the tree!

We were there Jan2- Jan9 2013.......I am quite certain the tree and all the trimmings in the lodge vanished by the 3rd.....that morning they were GONE! Some things remained in the parks but those elves were quite busy overnight. :) Could happen but likely not. That said the lobby itself is a wonder to behold even without Christmas décor....:tink:

Hey all. Trying to decide between WL and AKL for a trip in Nov 2017. I don't usually plan quite so early, but we're lucky enough to use the military discount, and those rooms go fast.

We have stayed at both resorts before, and we love them both, but WL would be first choice. I'm just wondering if it will seem different seeing as the whole resort and expansion will likely be open by then. On our previous stays we always felt WL felt a little quieter and not overly busy at the pool or Roaring Forks. We also never felt the busses or boats were particularly busy. It's obviously all guessing at this point... But do you think the expansion may change the overall "laid back" feeling? Will there be a noticeable amount of extra guests with the new lodgings open?

Staying deluxe is a bit of a splurge for us, so I just don't want to end up disappointed at WL when I know we would have enjoyed AKL too. Thanks!

Hey all. Trying to decide between WL and AKL for a trip in Nov 2017. I don't usually plan quite so early, but we're lucky enough to use the military discount, and those rooms go fast.

We have stayed at both resorts before, and we love them both, but WL would be first choice. I'm just wondering if it will seem different seeing as the whole resort and expansion will likely be open by then. On our previous stays we always felt WL felt a little quieter and not overly busy at the pool or Roaring Forks. We also never felt the busses or boats were particularly busy. It's obviously all guessing at this point... But do you think the expansion may change the overall "laid back" feeling? Will there be a noticeable amount of extra guests with the new lodgings open?

Staying deluxe is a bit of a splurge for us, so I just don't want to end up disappointed at WL when I know we would have enjoyed AKL too. Thanks!
I stayed a few times at poly during their construction and bungalow additions. I felt it was very quiet during construction. After complete it was busy but not so much as to inconvenience me. Transportation and restaurants were fine. The pool was always crowded so no difference.

I have an AKL trip this January and WL in March. I wonder which I'll like better? Knowing me it will be a tie, love them all !

Yes the boats are running and the Roaring Fork is open and serving a much smaller customer base, "very low crowd" level compared to when the South wing is up and running.

Also the feature pool is open.

One thing to note: While we were there last week, the morning opening times for Roaring Fork was shifted a half hour later, so they opened at 8 instead of 7:30. Make sure to check opening times if you're wanting breakfast.

By the time I decided to change to WL it was no longer available with the passholder discount.

We ended up changing to POR and adding the dining package instead. We haven't done the dining package since forever and I'm looking forward to not limiting my choice of entree and whether or not I get dessert. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Reactions: TJA
Finally arrived at WL after a few nights at one of the Universal Hotels. Lodge looks great even with the construction.
We have a north woods view room with a great view of the castle. Will post pictures shortly. Watched the fireworks last night from our room. We were going to go out onto the balcony but then noticed all the insects crawling over the windows. As someone else mentioned earlier Roaring Fork does not open until 8am, however Territory Lounge is open for coffee and Pastries from 7am.

Construction on north side photo. Very quiet, workers came on site at 8am and left before 4pm
Thanks for posting the pictures. I wonder if the cabins will be finished by the time we arrive in March. I'd love to see what kind of restaurant they are building on the villas side of the resort.

Finally arrived at WL after a few nights at one of the Universal Hotels. Lodge looks great even with the construction.
We have a north woods view room with a great view of the castle. Will post pictures shortly. Watched the fireworks last night from our room. We were going to go out onto the balcony but then noticed all the insects crawling over the windows. As someone else mentioned earlier Roaring Fork does not open until 8am, however Territory Lounge is open for coffee and Pastries from 7am.

Since when have they moved the Roaring Fork opening from 6am to the later opening? Is this only because of the construction? I was planning on staying at the lodge in April 2017 and an 8am opening would just not work with our touring style :-(

Insects? Never heard anyone say they couldn't use the balcony bc of bugs. More info? That would be sad.

Booked our stay for early May! We always stay in the cabins at FW but this time we wanted to try out the WL! Does anyone have a screenshot of the online check in?

Last edited:
Where can you eat at WL if EMH is 7:00 and you want to be there asap? Doesn't ofc and roaring fork open at 7? Transportation should start at 6:30 so where can you eat at 6am? It would be a waste of time to hurry to mk for em hand have to eat there.

I just wanted to stop by and say hi. Our daughter is getting married on the Disney Dream, but before that we'll be spending a week at WL from March 20th to the 27th. Then a week on the big boat, back to dry land for KSC and Universal for four days.

We are DLR vets, living in California, but we've never been to WDW. It's gonna be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter