• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 'lounge' is overlooking the lobby, lining the wall, seating area looking over lobby. The staff is, as always, above and beyond, I can't say enough about them. The cm I spoke to yesterday said they were given more details about the vision for the new lounge area and they are excited for the future.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 92
I have a general question regarding WL rooms - I hope this is the right place to ask. Are the Balconies for the 6 floor Courtyard enclosed? I was wondering specifically about the ones just above the lobby looking straight out to the lake. Thanks!

I was at the wl cl for 4 days in december. During this time, i spoke with 1 of the cl cm about this ongoing renovation & they are NOT happy with it at all!

I will say that the rumor about dvc studios going into the cl, like the akl has, was told to me as being not true. The cm told me they did hear about that rumor & were told by their boss it was false, however, the cm said that rumor wasn't going away & the cm told me that if it turns out to be true, that all the wl club level workers were going to leave if that happened. They did NOT want dvc studios w/ club level access.

Anyway, from what I was told, info on this is not being told to the cl workers, that this mess is going to go well into 2017 and that my club level experience at the wl for our usual fall trip there would be greatly disappointing. I was told to wait until next year to come back. The 1 thing they are happy about is the new lounge replacing the old one. Apparently, the current one had many many issues with leaks and just things not working. While we were there, there were multiple walk throughs w/ construction workers. Looks like the WL is going to be a mess for a year or so. May be time to stay at some other places....

Thank you for posting your OFC insights, @tuckerkeys :)

Thanks so much to everyone for contributing to the CL updates. We're arriving next month, and I kept thinking about upgrading to CL, but remained on the fence. This information is really helpful. I agree with Kook - not OK to make these changes so quickly without notice to guests or offering alternatives.

A few thoughts regarding WL CL generally (at least in its previous form.) The old lounge and setup were our favorite of any WDW CL (we've stayed CL at all deluxe resorts except YC - just a GV room there.) The small area in the photos is just for serving food and is just fine for that purpose. The seating area, in our opinion, is the most spacious and comfortable of the CLs we've experienced. We love the tables around the railing, the high ceilings, the view into the lobby and out to the lake. All the tables are spread out from each other, so each party has some nice personal space. The TV isn't in the middle of a big room, so if someone is watching it, it doesn't impact an entire room full of guests. The view out to the lake is incredible. I actually prefer it over the Poly lounge and the RPC lounge because it carries out a completely immersive theme and is so natural. The kids' tables are visible for most anywhere else in the seating area (and that area is adorable.) So if that is or will be different, that would impact our decision regarding CL in at least the short term future.

As for the current serving set up, not a fan. But if I had to ask for assistance, I'd choose WL CL over anywhere else (BWI is very close.) In our experience, when the serving area was closed and CMs said "let us know if you need anything," I think they actually meant it! Our youngest was looking through the bars of the serving area one afternoon and a CM approached to ask what she could get for him. Cookie on the way! I asked for a glass of wine before 5pm one day, and the CM was happy to not only get it, but a refill in a paper cup with a lid in case I wanted to refill before the lounge opened. When our luggage didn't come up from Bell Services right away upon arrival, a CM called our room twice with updates regarding his attempts to follow up with Bell Services. Also, instead of being syrupy sweet, we found them all more genuine - and helpful with issues that were meaningful to us during our stay.

:thumbsup2

I feel this way too. I did call a couple of times yesterday to see if there were options but there were none offered that were appealing. One CM offered to move me to a poly standard view-- but I can not take that change, I really dont want to downgrade. I didnt ask for guest services, maybe I should have? This is our first CL stay and I just feel that had we been better informed I would have picked elsewhere. But now I am only 16 days away.

But yesterday southwest had a sale and I changed my flight home, adding on another day. No CL rooms left for WL so I booked one night in standard view. I guess that probably complicates moving.

First, a Poly SV room can have an amazing view, if you know which longhouse to request;). I requested a top floor (balcony room) in Fiji facing GF and we were very lucky to receive our request. There are also other wonderful SVs at Poly.

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

Second, if for whatever reason you're unhappy once you arrive and get into your room, etc… you can still always make resort adjustments after check-in. Just speak with a manager (CL or at check-in desk) about your concerns or requests or you can even seek help from another resort where you'd rather stay. Just go to their check-in area, explain your situation and they will work with you to make you happy.

We'll be there tomorrow and I'll try to get some pictures posted of the temporary lounge and some of the construction.

In spite of all the closures and surprise lounge changes, we are very excited to be arriving at the WL tomorrow. :)

Safe travels and looking forward to your reports and photos:). Many of the wonderful CL CM regulars work M-F, so you may not meet them until Monday, but I'm sure some other wonderful CMs will be there upon your arrival:)

The 'lounge' is overlooking the lobby, lining the wall, seating area looking over lobby. The staff is, as always, above and beyond, I can't say enough about them. The cm I spoke to yesterday said they were given more details about the vision for the new lounge area and they are excited for the future.

Thank you for the lounge status update.

It sounds like it. This is really confusing. :crazy2: The IPO guy told me that it would be in the vice presidential suite.

I can't wait to get there to find out what in the world is going on!

The IPO may have been confused or misinformed. The photo they sent you I believe was of the Pres./Yellowstone Suite which is in the South Wing, which is closed.

Let us know where CL check-in is now - it may be downstairs.

I have a general question regarding WL rooms - I hope this is the right place to ask. Are the Balconies for the 6 floor Courtyard enclosed? I was wondering specifically about the ones just above the lobby looking straight out to the lake. Thanks!
The rooms you're asking about are referred to as "Bear Face rooms" and they don't have enclosed balcony railings, but they are only on the 4th and 5th floors. Specific room numbers for the 6th floor rooms with dormer balconies is located HERE in POST 4.

48be0237-8ee9-4869-ae56-e30c6e24472e.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

There are also other wonderful SVs at Poly.

Great photos, amazing view! Yes, I do love the poly. I should have clarified that I wasnt happy with a standard view at the rate I was paying for CL. They said it would be a $100 cheaper total... so over $150 more a night then the last time I stayed poly standard. I am sure I would spend more than that adjusting my food costs losing lounge access :)

Is there a way to use vacation club points to rent a concierge level room?

Thanks!

Hello all, we are going the first week of April and I understand the construction issue. In everyone's opinion would a standard room be ok or should we bump up to a courtyard view? I'm befuddled!

We have had a very long day, waking up at 2:45am to catch our flight to Orlando and checking into the WL about 10:45am. We were greeted by a CL CM and taken upstairs after they fixed some crazy mix up with our credit card.

Anyway, the lodge itself still looks the same except for a few fake walls and potted plants blocking access to the lobby elevators and the south wing. Half of the resort is closed off. All of the guest rooms on the south side are closed now, even the lobby rooms on the south side above the check in desk. They have placed their blockades in the hallways on each floor so that you can't access those outside balconies that face Bay Lake in the fourth floor and fifth floors. They also blocked off the club level floor so that you can't sit in front of the window that looks out on the lake. The only sitting area up there is on the north side.

The resort is half empty with all those rooms closed off and it shows. I stopped in Roaring Forks around five o'clock tonight and there was one customer and four CM's in there. Whispering Canyon Cafe and Artist Point were still busy, though.

As far as the construction goes, if you have a courtyard view room you won't even see it. We haven't done any exploring yet but from what I've seen, they have cleared out most of the trees between the north wing and the lake in the Otter Pond area. In fact, I think Otter Pond is gone. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow. They left a fringe of trees at the shoreline so it isn't a shocking sight, but the people who stay in the woods view rooms in the north wing will be front and center of the construction site once they start building the cabins. They are still clearing and prepping the land, though. There wasn't any construction work going on today.

As for our club level experience - We received our welcome packet along with our club level chocolates. In that welcome packet was a letter that said that if we planned to have dinner at Artist Point then the chef will visit our table with something special for us. Just by coincidence I had made reservations for dinner tonight at Artist Point months ago. So we took our letter down to the restaurant and received complimentary champagne and their cheese tray appetizer. It was delicious. I would never have thought of ordering it, but I am really glad to have tried it. I had a lot of fun sampling the different cheeses and the different things that paired with them, like honey with bleu cheese. It was a very nice of them to do this as compensation for some of the changes to the club level floor.

As I have mentioned, this was our first club level stay anywhere, and I was really looking forward to the Old Faithful Club. I will admit that I was very disappointed to find out that they blocked off the sitting area in front of the window. Now you can only look down on the lobby. You can't see Bay Lake from the club level lounge area.

Someone posted two pictures of the club level floor and that is really all that there is. There is half of the hallway on the east side that has two long tables with drinks on one table and food on the other. And the tables are on the north side, the side above Whispering Canyon Cafe. I don't know if there used to be furniture up there before, but there are only chairs and tables for eating at now, and a television. No kids tables, no couches, just tables and chairs.

The food is self serve, but not the beverages. The only drinks that you can pour for yourself are water and coffee and the cordials. If you want a beverage, whether it is a Coke, a glass of wine or a beer, they have to go get it for you. And I'm not sure where they are going, but it looks like it is down the hallway where the honeymoon suites are. And it takes them some time to get the drink for you. It isn't right there. It is somewhere else.

They told us that the chef was preparing some special foods for club level. And they had some very good food. I would say that the appetizer part of the evening was very good. We stopped by after dinner at Artist Point to see what they had for dessert and I was surprised that they didn't have any cobbler or Magic cookie bars or brownies. But they did have some other cookies and s'mores and these rice krispy things.

Our room was ready when we checked in at 10:45am except that it turned out to be a bunkbed room. So we asked for a room with two queen beds which would be ready later, so we went off to the parks. We did get the courtyard view that I requested and we can see the Electric Water Pageant from the balcony.

The club level staff is very friendly and the food is good. But it is missing the ambiance that I was looking for when I decided to finally try club level.

Is there a way to use vacation club points to rent a concierge level room?

Thanks!

Yes. The points chart shows both SC - Standard Room/View Club Level and DC - Deluxe Room/View Club Level. The point requirements are hefty though! It's around a 25% premium over the point requirements for a 2BR at the equivalent times.

We have had a very long day, waking up at 2:45am to catch our flight to Orlando and checking into the WL about 10:45am. We were greeted by a CL CM and taken upstairs after they fixed some crazy mix up with our credit card.

Anyway, the lodge itself still looks the same except for a few fake walls and potted plants blocking access to the lobby elevators and the south wing. Half of the resort is closed off. All of the guest rooms on the south side are closed now, even the lobby rooms on the south side above the check in desk. They have placed their blockades in the hallways on each floor so that you can't access those outside balconies that face Bay Lake in the fourth floor and fifth floors. They also blocked off the club level floor so that you can't sit in front of the window that looks out on the lake. The only sitting area up there is on the north side.

The resort is half empty with all those rooms closed off and it shows. I stopped in Roaring Forks around five o'clock tonight and there was one customer and four CM's in there. Whispering Canyon Cafe and Artist Point were still busy, though.

As far as the construction goes, if you have a courtyard view room you won't even see it. We haven't done any exploring yet but from what I've seen, they have cleared out most of the trees between the north wing and the lake in the Otter Pond area. In fact, I think Otter Pond is gone. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow. They left a fringe of trees at the shoreline so it isn't a shocking sight, but the people who stay in the woods view rooms in the north wing will be front and center of the construction site once they start building the cabins. They are still clearing and prepping the land, though. There wasn't any construction work going on today.

As for our club level experience - We received our welcome packet along with our club level chocolates. In that welcome packet was a letter that said that if we planned to have dinner at Artist Point then the chef will visit our table with something special for us. Just by coincidence I had made reservations for dinner tonight at Artist Point months ago. So we took our letter down to the restaurant and received complimentary champagne and their cheese tray appetizer. It was delicious. I would never have thought of ordering it, but I am really glad to have tried it. I had a lot of fun sampling the different cheeses and the different things that paired with them, like honey with bleu cheese. It was a very nice of them to do this as compensation for some of the changes to the club level floor.

As I have mentioned, this was our first club level stay anywhere, and I was really looking forward to the Old Faithful Club. I will admit that I was very disappointed to find out that they blocked off the sitting area in front of the window. Now you can only look down on the lobby. You can't see Bay Lake from the club level lounge area.

Someone posted two pictures of the club level floor and that is really all that there is. There is half of the hallway on the east side that has two long tables with drinks on one table and food on the other. And the tables are on the north side, the side above Whispering Canyon Cafe. I don't know if there used to be furniture up there before, but there are only chairs and tables for eating at now, and a television. No kids tables, no couches, just tables and chairs.

The food is self serve, but not the beverages. The only drinks that you can pour for yourself are water and coffee and the cordials. If you want a beverage, whether it is a Coke, a glass of wine or a beer, they have to go get it for you. And I'm not sure where they are going, but it looks like it is down the hallway where the honeymoon suites are. And it takes them some time to get the drink for you. It isn't right there. It is somewhere else.

They told us that the chef was preparing some special foods for club level. And they had some very good food. I would say that the appetizer part of the evening was very good. We stopped by after dinner at Artist Point to see what they had for dessert and I was surprised that they didn't have any cobbler or Magic cookie bars or brownies. But they did have some other cookies and s'mores and these rice krispy things.

Our room was ready when we checked in at 10:45am except that it turned out to be a bunkbed room. So we asked for a room with two queen beds which would be ready later, so we went off to the parks. We did get the courtyard view that I requested and we can see the Electric Water Pageant from the balcony.

The club level staff is very friendly and the food is good. But it is missing the ambiance that I was looking for when I decided to finally try club level.

After following your posts here and on the BC thread, I know how much you were looking forward to experiencing the CL experience at WL. I think it might be harder for us DISers, who frequently read about others' wonderful experiences, to then put our disappointing experience into a POV that tries to be balanced, fair, and not sound like a demanding, entitled WDW guest. You have every right to expect Disney to make up for the experience you were expecting- this is not the same as complaining about rain! I am so impressed with your equanimity in this post! Most people, especially after a long day with minimal sleep, would not be so nice. Anyhow, I really hope the WL staff goes above and beyond to make this a magical stay for you, in spite of what is missing from everything you expected at CL. The lack of cobbler is unacceptable though!! I would definitely say something about that! Thanks for posting. (I was checking for your post today) Hope your trip ends up being wonderful, in spite of the CL disappointments.

I am so sorry you are not able to experience the previous OFC "set-up"!!! It was just soooo nice and cozy!!! Everything drinks and food items were accessible/self serve and the staff went over and beyond...the staff will surely make your stay special despite the current challenges in the lounge area!!!
We will staying at Poly first week of Feb and I had been trying for months to switch over to WL CL now I am glad we will be at Poly even with a standard view room!

Hoping you enjoy your Club experience and really hope the cobbler shows up!!!

First of all, the CL staff has been wonderful. They are the friendliest group I've met. As a result I have learned tons of information which I will share later when I have more time. But I wanted to let everyone who plans to stay club level know what I learned about the lounge. They are taking out the two honeymoon suites on the north side and converting them into the new Old Faithful Club. He said it will be a lovely space with windows. (He knew that I was disappointed with the window situation.) The current lounge situation is only temporary and they will be moving into the vice-presidential suite in about 3 weeks. There was something about fire codes and occupancy categories that prevented them from moving there right away. So that sounds very promising. And the staff is great and the food has been good, so that part is really nice. :)

More updates on things will come later. ;)

hey are taking out the two honeymoon suites on the north side and converting them into the new Old Faithful Club. He said it will be a lovely space with windows.

That sounds nice, then the lounge should have a view of Wishes, right? Doesnt sound like they will have the lounge moved into the VP suite by the time we arrive... we are now under 2 weeks! You'd think the IPO would have known that when we emailed them? Having a 1/2 full resort does have some appeal, but I am still considering moving. It is our first CL stay too, though we have a week at the Poly booked CL at the end of the year. This was going to be my "sneak preview," of sorts.

Does transportation seem effected at all by the construction? I mean: does less guests equal less buses or boats?

How nice of you to post such a thorough and honest first-day review, thank you @Wood Nymph!

I know it's hard for you to compare the OFC now to prior to the downgrade, but, your description sounds like a fairly big downgrade. So big, that personally, I question why they're even offering CL bookings at all, especially with the "lounge" out in the CL seating area. Maybe it will be better in the Yosemite suite because at least you have some windows. IMHO, it should either be closed or at a minimum, guests need to warned of the downgrade and compensated.

As you probably know from the CL chapters and from descriptions, that huge window overlooking the courtyard and Bay Lake is a highlight of the OFC seating area. Without that window, I imagine it's very dark and more like the AKL CL view?

Having to ask for and then wait for basic CL amenities such as cold beverages is going to grow old fast, for both guests and CMs. Not convenient at all.

NO COBBLER??!! That's the OFC's signature dessert and a highlight of each evening. The cobbler sits atop a warmer which might be the issue now, but the other desserts, such as brownies and Magic Cookie Bars don't. Why in the world can't they at least serve those? It sounds like they've replaced those tasty treats with the lesser Riced Krispy Treat?

I've never seen RF uncrowded, except at really off times of the day, so I suppose that's a welcome change. It sounds like you could have easily eaten there without any lines any time of the day, which makes CL even less useful. Of course, it is January, so maybe RF is pretty empty this time of year? But, with at least half the normal occupancy level, this has to be an unusually empty resort, even for January.

First of all, the CL staff has been wonderful. They are the friendliest group I've met. As a result I have learned tons of information which I will share later when I have more time. But I wanted to let everyone who plans to stay club level know what I learned about the lounge. They are taking out the two honeymoon suites on the north side and converting them into the new Old Faithful Club. He said it will be a lovely space with windows. (He knew that I was disappointed with the window situation.) The current lounge situation is only temporary and they will be moving into the vice-presidential suite in about 3 weeks. There was something about fire codes and occupancy categories that prevented them from moving there right away. So that sounds very promising. And the staff is great and the food has been good, so that part is really nice. :)

More updates on things will come later. ;)

Thank you for confirming my suspicion that the two South Wing Honeymoon Suites would be replaced by the larger lounge. The view from those two rooms is not very good and those who knew about it would always request to be in the two North Wing suites instead. The South Wing suites overlook VWL and the roof with the bus stop and parking lot over to the right. The North Wing suites have a partial Wishes view and used to overlook woods, but will soon overlook the cabins and some trees and perhaps some of Bay Lake.

On a positive note, I'm glad you're able to experience the friendly and helpful OFC CMs. Looking forward to more of your updates and enjoy your first full-day:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter