Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had considered BWV but I've heard quite a few not-so-great things so I took it off the list. Thanks for posting. Can you ask - or maybe you know - if there is a freezer section in the fridges at VWL? Thank you, in advance!

I believe that there is a small freezer section in both the VWL and BWV fridges (for the studios- the other category rooms have actual freezers). It is very small- maybe big enough for a couple ice cube trays or frozen dinners...

I will add that we have always LOVED BWV- never had an issue until this trip, and most of it was out of the hotel's control. The advantage of walking into Epcot and DHS is worth considering, IMHO. We will probably still return, but will also consider other locations (like VWL) as possibilities.

I believe that there is a small freezer section in both the VWL and BWV fridges (for the studios- the other category rooms have actual freezers). It is very small- maybe big enough for a couple ice cube trays or frozen dinners...

I will add that we have always LOVED BWV- never had an issue until this trip, and most of it was out of the hotel's control. The advantage of walking into Epcot and DHS is worth considering, IMHO. We will probably still return, but will also consider other locations (like VWL) as possibilities.
Thank you for the response! My coworker stayed BCV this past June and said the fridge had a small freezer so I was hoping VWL had one but when I watched a video on YouTube I couldn't tell. My boys sometimes eat waffles or mini pancakes as a quick breakfast so I was wondering if there would be room for a package or two of those. Hmmm....maybe not though!

My choice for the Epcot resorts would probably be BCV over BWV. I'm not sure why but it seems like I've read quite a few issues with service at BWV lately. All of them were recent and it seemed like the guests were surprised bc that wasn't the usual. Hopefully they'll get it turned around bc I really would like to stay there one day, if possible.

Thank you for the response! My coworker stayed BCV this past June and said the fridge had a small freezer so I was hoping VWL had one but when I watched a video on YouTube I couldn't tell. My boys sometimes eat waffles or mini pancakes as a quick breakfast so I was wondering if there would be room for a package or two of those. Hmmm....maybe not though!

My choice for the Epcot resorts would probably be BCV over BWV. I'm not sure why but it seems like I've read quite a few issues with service at BWV lately. All of them were recent and it seemed like the guests were surprised bc that wasn't the usual. Hopefully they'll get it turned around bc I really would like to stay there one day, if possible.

It might fit a box of waffles or mini pancakes. You could always take the box off and just stick the bag in! I am not 100% positive, but I believe the fridge/freezer in both rooms was the same (except for the color). I think all studios probably have the same one.

I agree it was a recent thing with the service at BWV- we have never experienced that before so hoping it was a temporary blip.

It might fit a box of waffles or mini pancakes. You could always take the box off and just stick the bag in! I am not 100% positive, but I believe the fridge/freezer in both rooms was the same (except for the color). I think all studios probably have the same one.

I agree it was a recent thing with the service at BWV- we have never experienced that before so hoping it was a temporary blip.
Yeh I might just try it without the box!

Thanks again!!

We never heard any noise at all. The workers didn't do much during our stay. I noticed that they all packed up and left by 3:00 one day. No wonder it takes so long for things to get built at Disney World.

That sounds promising! I hope we are that lucky if we do switch.

Just got back today from a quick trip to WDW. I stayed at Port Orleans.

I spent some time at Wilderness Lodge, soaking in the atmosphere of that resort.

I was there this morning and the resort seemed almost empty. The pool only had 3 people in it (10:30 am). I wish I could have stayed at WL instead of POR this time (I got the great low rate at riverside that was given to the DIS 10th Anniversary). The construction didn't seem to bother me, hardly noticed it. A lot of headway is being made on the bldg at lakeside by the pool.

WL is a great resort and still as beautiful as always. Now is a good time to stay there because it is not crowded.

:yay:Kook!!!!!!! :yay:
I see a ticker!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes1

Details pleaseeeeeee!!!!!:drive::flower::love:

:flower3:

DH and I will be returning in May for 30th Anniversary! NO KIDS!!!!!
Choosing between Poly or CR...

Still lurk around here but nothing to add or comment on really.:rolleyes:

Hugs-

Well, my WL CL 8/24 date is getting closer. Tweaking my ADR's and FP's,but it's mostly done. We always try to do a few " firsts" on each trip. So we're signed up for the Star Wars dessert party,Frozen ride,Jiko wine tasting, Tiffins restaurant and Jungle Book show....maybe a few other things. For the first time,we've built in hanging at the Resort time and are looking forward to using the pool for the first time- wish I could bring my floaty seat( a mesh seat is attached to a foam noodle that turns it into a seat). Maybe we'll try for Flag Family again...the first time we did it was truly magical.
I will try to send back daily trip reports. Can you point me in the direction of the post of how to download pictures? I'll print it out to use as a reference,as I'm terribly technically challenged.
Have not started to pack yet,but getting excited.

13 days until we check in! How is pre-park opening transportation? We have 2 early breakfasts (8:15 Akershus and 8:45 H&V).

I've never used it, but those who have used the early ADR buses report here that it has worked well. Just make sure to tell the driver where your ADR is.

What would you book now for a June 2017 stay? We are doing an adult trip with my Dad and Step-mom as our anniversaries are the same month. My DH and I want to walk out onto the lobby. I know that 4th floor is standard and will ask for that. I know my DDad ans DSM want more of a view. I'm just worried about how the room categories will change.

I can't really predict all the available room categories one year from now, however, if you are talking about WL and you want a nice view of Bay Lake and the WL courtyard, then you'll need to book a CYV room. If you want a view of Wishes, cabins and some woods, they will probably be offering a TPV category in the future. These would be North Wing rooms on higher floors. If you can book a SV now, you will probably be grandfathered in when they change the category later to TPV. Just request a high floor.

Just got back today from a quick trip to WDW. I stayed at Port Orleans.

I spent some time at Wilderness Lodge, soaking in the atmosphere of that resort.

I was there this morning and the resort seemed almost empty. The pool only had 3 people in it (10:30 am). I wish I could have stayed at WL instead of POR this time (I got the great low rate at riverside that was given to the DIS 10th Anniversary). The construction didn't seem to bother me, hardly noticed it. A lot of headway is being made on the bldg at lakeside by the pool.

WL is a great resort and still as beautiful as always. Now is a good time to stay there because it is not crowded.

Don't feel too bad, the pool usually doesn't open till 9:00 or 10:00 and I've noticed many times, even when the resort is full, hardly anyone swims at that hour as guests are usually already in the parks, sleeping or eating breakfast. Sometimes they'll be a few kids, usually with dad while mom gets ready.

You're right that it's a great time to stay at WL, but I can't recommend it to a first-timer seeing that so many amenities are closed. But, as long as you're aware of all the closures and you don't mind, then staying at a half-empty resort is dreamy.

:yay:Kook!!!!!!! :yay:
I see a ticker!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes1

Details pleaseeeeeee!!!!!:drive::flower::love:

:flower3:

DH and I will be returning in May for 30th Anniversary! NO KIDS!!!!!
Choosing between Poly or CR...

Still lurk around here but nothing to add or comment on really.:rolleyes:

Hugs-

You're so cute, @CuteAsMinnie and thank you for asking. DD is starting college next month and I'm taking my first solo trip. (Moms grow up so fast:laughing:.) But, it doesn't involve a WL stay:duck: so I felt awkward mentioning it here, but since you asked! I'm trying a few firsts so I can cross them off the Kook bucket list:

3 nights CR Tower Club
3 nights BC (only Deluxe at which I've not stayed)
3 nights GF RPC

The biggest reason I'm not including WL is that it's supposed to be a trip of firsts. I almost rationalized staying there though by telling myself "it'll be a first staying CL with the lounge closed and temporarily located in the VP Suite!" But, Sturdy Branches is closed and that's a deal breaker right there. I have to have my daily dose of the ol' gym. I'm definitely going over on the Blue Flag to visit and take lots of photos.

Lurk all you want, but make sure and post every once in a while - we miss all your help.

Well, my WL CL 8/24 date is getting closer. Tweaking my ADR's and FP's,but it's mostly done. We always try to do a few " firsts" on each trip. So we're signed up for the Star Wars dessert party,Frozen ride,Jiko wine tasting, Tiffins restaurant and Jungle Book show....maybe a few other things. For the first time,we've built in hanging at the Resort time and are looking forward to using the pool for the first time- wish I could bring my floaty seat( a mesh seat is attached to a foam noodle that turns it into a seat). Maybe we'll try for Flag Family again...the first time we did it was truly magical.

I will try to send back daily trip reports. Can you point me in the direction of the post of how to download pictures? I'll print it out to use as a reference,as I'm terribly technically challenged.
Have not started to pack yet,but getting excited.

What's your departure date? I'm sure you'll be long gone though before my 9/5 arrival at CR, but thought I'd check.

Firsts are fun and you've got a lot of them. Would love to read your OFC reports and see any photos. The easiest way to post photos is to simply drag them into your post from your desktop. If you're posting from an iPhone or iPad. (I only use iOS devices, but it must be the same with Android?) then you just do the following:

Tap the "UPLOAD A FILE" button at the bottom of your post and then tap the "CHOOSE FILE" button. This will allow you to then tap "PHOTO LIBRARY" where you will see all your photos or you can choose "TAKE PHOTO." I prefer to take the photo first and then "choose" it from the PHOTO LIBRARY. Just tap on the photo you want to post from your PHOTO LIBRARY. You will then be taken back to your post where you will see a thumbnail of your chosen photo at the bottom. Now, tap "FULL IMAGE" and your image will magically appear in your post. If your post is ready, then tap "POST REPLY" or you can tap "UPLOAD A FILE" again to add more photos. Give it a try and practice. You can just delete the post or close the window instead of tapping "POST REPLY."

Last edited:
You're right that it's a great time to stay at WL, but I can't recommend it to a first-timer seeing that so many amenities are closed. But, as long as you're aware of all the closures and you don't mind, then staying at a half-empty resort is dreamy.

This comment resonates with me. I don't have any experience with staying at WL during the construction but we stayed at Poly CL two falls ago (I think it was) at the height of their construction. None of the DVC longhouses were done yet, the main pool was closed. I knew what to expect going in and we had been before - Disney did a fair job warning of the state of the resort in advance. It was the best trip of all the ones in my signature! More often than not we were the only ones at the pool. DS was often the only one doing daytime activities at the pool (they had temporarily moved them to the other pool while the main pool was offline). It was such a unique experience that holds a special memory for us.

You're so cute, @CuteAsMinnie and thank you for asking. DD is starting college next month and I'm taking my first solo trip. (Moms grow up so fast:laughing:.) But, it doesn't involve a WL stay:duck: so I felt awkward mentioning it here, but since you asked! I'm trying a few firsts so I can cross them off the Kook bucket list:

3 nights CR Tower Club
3 nights BC (only Deluxe at which I've not stayed)
3 nights GF RPC

The biggest reason I'm not including WL is that it's supposed to be a trip of firsts. I almost rationalized staying there though by telling myself "it'll be a first staying CL with the lounge closed and temporarily located in the VP Suite!" But, Sturdy Branches is closed and that's a deal breaker right there. I have to have my daily dose of the ol' gym. I'm definitely going over on the Blue Flag to visit and take lots of photos.

Lurk all you want, but make sure and post every once in a while - we miss all your help.

-Gasp-
Solo????
What does THAT mean?
Something along the lines of doing what you want, when you want????
Overrated, I'm sure!
No, I don't believe myself either!!! LOL

How fun and exciting! Can't wait to follow along with you!!!:flower3::mickeybar

HI everyone...I am looking to book this resort for October...but only thing available is a deluxe club level...it's just two of us, but I still think the price is very good...550/night. This is with a FL resident price. We'll be staying for 3 nights. I was thinking about going to Epcot food and wine festival..but at that price, I might just save the park costs and make it a resort only stay. I did that this month at Poly and I truly enjoyed just hanging out at the resort...it was VERY relaxing. Having club access is a big bonus as we can nibble at the club all day (though I will have a proper dinner, somewhere, not sure where yet). We aren't heavy eaters and I will enjoy the samples. And maybe even a glass of wine or two!

Is the Club access worth it? How is the food?

Thanks so much Kook for the photo help!! I'll be bringing my IPad mini and Apple phone. I'll probably take pics with the mini,as that's what I use for checking the Disboards. So it SHOULD be easy to move pics from the library to the post.........except if you're me and you're always about a mile behind the start line,technically speaking....

When we were there in December,I asked a CM if I could use my noodle seat in the pool and she said no. But I was looking at some other threads where I saw it was okay to use it. Since this is the first time using the pool,I was looking forward to just floating around for awhile. I have stamina issues,so standing or treading water for awhile wouldn't be practical or relaxing for me. Have you heard anything about bringing foam items into the pool? Is there a specific person I need to ask?

Oh,we're leaving the morning of 9/1, but boy,I wish I could tack on a few more days!
I'd love to meet you!!!!!
I know we'll be doing our usual make a BB future date.....but I'm not sure for when next year. We did December for the first time 6 months ago and it really wasn't too bad in terms of crowds. But September can be nice too and we could catch the beginning of F & W festival.....

Last edited:
image.jpg Just checking to see if I can follow directions and post photos.....Mendenhall Glacier from our DCL cruise in May.....and a Key West sunset. Hey,maybe I can do this!!!!image.jpgoops,not a Key West sunset.......but at least I can post photos!!!

Last edited:
I just completed online check-in for our stay at WL. We plan to head straight to the parks before going to the hotel the morning we arrive. Will I be able to scan my magic band at the EPCOT parking gates? Will it recognize that I won't have to pay because I'm a resort guest?

Thank you!

This comment resonates with me. I don't have any experience with staying at WL during the construction but we stayed at Poly CL two falls ago (I think it was) at the height of their construction. None of the DVC longhouses were done yet, the main pool was closed. I knew what to expect going in and we had been before - Disney did a fair job warning of the state of the resort in advance. It was the best trip of all the ones in my signature! More often than not we were the only ones at the pool. DS was often the only one doing daytime activities at the pool (they had temporarily moved them to the other pool while the main pool was offline). It was such a unique experience that holds a special memory for us.

It can be a great opportunity to experience a resort at much less capacity. Just as long as everyone who books is aware of all the closed amenities and/or possibilities of noise disturbance and possibly less than aesthetically pleasing surroundings.

Hope you're still enjoying your Poly stay!

-Gasp-
Solo????
What does THAT mean?
Something along the lines of doing what you want, when you want????
Overrated, I'm sure!
No, I don't believe myself either!!! LOL

How fun and exciting! Can't wait to follow along with you!!!:flower3::mickeybar

Yep, cupcakes whenever, benches whenever, and all the lame rides I want:). I'll post the link here to my LIVE TR when it's up and running.

HI everyone...I am looking to book this resort for October...but only thing available is a deluxe club level...it's just two of us, but I still think the price is very good...550/night. This is with a FL resident price. We'll be staying for 3 nights. I was thinking about going to Epcot food and wine festival..but at that price, I might just save the park costs and make it a resort only stay. I did that this month at Poly and I truly enjoyed just hanging out at the resort...it was VERY relaxing. Having club access is a big bonus as we can nibble at the club all day (though I will have a proper dinner, somewhere, not sure where yet). We aren't heavy eaters and I will enjoy the samples. And maybe even a glass of wine or two!

Is the Club access worth it? How is the food?

Welcome! A few things to keep in mind when making your decision:

The resort is undergoing a large construction project. Many amenities are closed such as the beach, kids' club, wooded trail, quiet pool, marina and boat rentals, some seating areas and the entire South Wing and its elevators. All the details are hyperlinked at the top of POST 1.

Also, the OFC lounge is closed because the South Wing is closed. However, a new lounge is being built, but the lounge is temporarily located in the VP Suite. I haven't heard yet when the new lounge will open, but maybe it will by the time you're there.

The Deluxe rooms are not located on the 7th floor where the lounge and check-in is (Old Faithful Club). The rooms are on floors 1-6 only. They are about 500 SF and have two balconies and sleep 6. More info. is in the DELUXE ROOM chapter.

The food is tasty and plentiful and the CMs are kind and thoughtful, but there are no hot items or protein at breakfast. Wine and beer can beer requested anytime. There is more info. in the CLUB LEVEL chapter of this thread:)

Thanks so much Kook for the photo help!! I'll be bringing my IPad mini and Apple phone. I'll probably take pics with the mini,as that's what I use for checking the Disboards. So it SHOULD be easy to move pics from the library to the post.........except if you're me and you're always about a mile behind the start line,technically speaking....

When we were there in December,I asked a CM if I could use my noodle seat in the pool and she said no. But I was looking at some other threads where I saw it was okay to use it. Since this is the first time using the pool,I was looking forward to just floating around for awhile. I have stamina issues,so standing or treading water for awhile wouldn't be practical or relaxing for me. Have you heard anything about bringing foam items into the pool? Is there a specific person I need to ask?

Oh,we're leaving the morning of 9/1, but boy,I wish I could tack on a few more days!
I'd love to meet you!!!!!
I know we'll be doing our usual make a BB future date.....but I'm not sure for when next year. We did December for the first time 6 months ago and it really wasn't too bad in terms of crowds. But September can be nice too and we could catch the beginning of F & W festival.....

I've heard the same about them not being allowed in the pool. But, I bet if you asked Mike, he'd tell you to do whatever you want and if need be, he'd bail you out of the WL jail!

View attachment 184655 Just checking to see if I can follow directions and post photos.....Mendenhall Glacier from our DCL cruise in May.....and a Key West sunset. Hey,maybe I can do this!!!!View attachment 184652oops,not a Key West sunset.......but at least I can post photos!!!

You did it! Beautiful. Feel free to insert your text wherever you'd like and then preview it to see if it's where you want it.

I just completed online check-in for our stay at WL. We plan to head straight to the parks before going to the hotel the morning we arrive. Will I be able to scan my magic band at the EPCOT parking gates? Will it recognize that I won't have to pay because I'm a resort guest?

Thank you!

As long as the tickets are properly linked and show-up in your MDX account then you're good to go. However, you won't be able to charge anything to your account until you've physically checked-in and shown your credit card.

@fauntleroy1953, I was just looking through some GF photos I took in August and look what I came across sitting right by their feature pool, (and of course I took a photo of it:laughing:)

IMG_0522.jpg

The food is tasty and plentiful and the CMs are kind and thoughtful, but there are no hot items or protein at breakfast. Wine and beer can beer requested anytime. There is more info. in the CLUB LEVEL chapter of this thread:)

A brief update, haven't had time yet to organize photos, but wanted to let you all know that the OFC now has hard boiled eggs alternating with cheese and ham as proteins at breakfast. It is one or the other, in a mostly every other day pattern. There are also some wonderful new pastries included a fabulous pecan bun that we had one of the four days I was there. The food was outstanding, as usual.

Mike was my check in CM so I asked right away about the progress on the new lounge. He said they are all wishing for the new lounge to open by Christmas so guests can enjoy it during the holiday, but realistically it may not be ready until 2017. He said they are still in heavy demolition mode now. The south wing rooms have been completely gutted - you can see through the whole floor from one balcony to the other now on the upper floors. He said he is super excited about the plans for the new lounge. Because things can change so much during a project they aren't talking about details yet, but he said he expects us to be happy with the new home for the lounge.

I have to get off to work now, having really long days since I got home, but will get photos and more details out soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter