Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got home early this morning (2 am) after 10 nights/11 days at the WL. It took a little for me to adjust to a new resort (few hours) but we had an amazing trip and fell in love with The Lodge. Our room was ready while we were waiting for our luggage at baggage claim. We had room 5057 and it was IMO a perfect location. Pretty equal distance to the lobby elevators and the elevators near Roaring Forks and the laundry (which was my hope).

We didn't hear a single construction sound until yesterday morning. I have no clue what the scaffolding is for but it moved a few times during our stay. At first it was on the outside of the building on the side of WCC. Then we noticed a little right near the Cubs Den on the opposite side. A few days later there was a lot more on that side but in the front near the bus stop and yesterday morning they were back on the inner upper courtyard at the corner of the south wing. The tiny bit of hammering I heard was them building the scaffolding.

Our hands down best meal for not only experience but service was at WCC. Laura was our waitress and she was great! (If anyone knows who I can call to give her praise I would really like to do that).

Darn weather created quite an issue for my kids. We were there for 5 days before they actually got to swim. Each day when we got to the pool it had just closed due to nearby storms. Our first day they got about 5 minutes in the kiddie section before the whistle blew. It happened so often that my daughter begged to go swimming every morning because "it's going to rain later and the pool will close" (in whiny, tearful yet still cute voice). Certainly not anything that could have been fixed...just bad luck.

My most favorite part of the resort though was those room darkening drapes! My daughter is not a napper but definitely needed to be while we were there and those drapes were a Godsend! The room was dark as night.

I know someone posted that they didn't like the bed. I was in heaven!

I want to thank everyone (especially Kook and WoodNymph) for all the information on this thread and the answered questions. I truly felt like I knew what was going on and that I had been there before because this thread helped me prepare.

Not sure when we'll be back at the Lodge but we are sure looking forward to it!
You're a trooper to have gotten home so late (early?) and managed to post a TR this morning:). It can take a little while to get used to a resort and then suddenly, it feels like "home," (or sometimes it doesn't:(). It sounds like you may have found a new home.

Having a friendly and welcoming server can make such a difference. We have our favorite servers and greeters at several WDW restaurants and when they aren't available, the experience can be much different and not as memorable. You can email comments about your trip and in particular, Laura, to Guest Communications and they will usually call you a few days later:

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

August is tough weather-wise with rain almost daily and the potential for big storms, but the latter half can be a less crowded time of the year with so many kids returning to school. It must have been hard to hear your DD ask to go swimming since she was kicked out so many times. But, she was smart to ask in the morning, that's the best time of the day, IMHO, to use the pools. It's not as hot and definitely not as crowded and usually it's not raining early. It's a great way to start the day…in reverse.

Happy unpacking today and thanks for letting us know the thread was helpful in your planning:)

Ok I just spent an hour catching up here after being gone for a while. We leave in 19 days!! Can anyone clarify for me what part(s) of the grounds will be under construction end of August, beginning of Sept?

Welcome back. There is a link in POST 1 at the very top to the WL DVC Expansion Details thread that you might find helpful. However, no expansion-related construction will be going on until October. But, the scaffolding may still be up around the resort when you're there. They have been doing wood repairs and painting for a long time. Guests aren't being placed behind the scaffolding and most guests have reported that it hasn't negatively impacted their stay.

Thank you! There were posts about the trails being closed in August, so hopefully that's not happening while we're there.

Can't wait!!!

Ok I just spent an hour catching up here after being gone for a while. We leave in 19 days!! Can anyone clarify for me what part(s) of the grounds will be under construction end of August, beginning of Sept?
You should be fine at the end of August. We will be there for dinner at Artist Point on Sept 1st, so we will be checking out the construction then. :)

Does anyone know if they sell dish soap in the shop? We will be at WL in 2 weeks and need to wash my son's sippy cups. I don't know if I need to bring soap with me. Thanks!

KOOK, thanks for the clarification. I mistakenly thought the HS was a whiz-bang honey of a Deluxe. Glad I checked with you first. I was able to book the Deluxe at a good rate.
I see your trip is upcoming, enjoy! We'll just miss each other but maybe I will cross paths with pas130.
Take care. :sunny:

Last edited:
Trundle bed
The pull down in the villa

Could a 5' 2" 110 pound girl sleep on it ?

Is there bedding in the room for both the pull out couch bed and the trundle bed ?

2nd full day here! We're in room 5053 5th floor. I agree location is good being centered between elevators and away from the pool so I can faintly hear the loud afternoon pool DJ right now. There is a big tree out our window but looking left we could see plenty of the light parade go by before the tree blocked it. Well try for the beach view another time to get the full effect.

Weather is mixed but typical August weather. Yesterday was fairly overcast all day. Storms split and went right around us. Today started sunny and hot. Rained while we're on a ride apparently but it became extremely humid the rest of the day.

If you have bunk room ask for an extra blanket and you now have an AWESOME fort!!!

Artist Point was amazing. Bus service has been fine to Studios and animal kingdom. We've gotten to the parks at opening each day which helps tremendously get stuff done. We tend to wake early so not an issue. Getting to the bus stop by 7:45/50 was very different than arriving at 8:10. It was very crowded starting after 8. I think that's everyones goal :)

Does anyone know if they sell dish soap in the shop? We will be at WL in 2 weeks and need to wash my son's sippy cups. I don't know if I need to bring soap with me. Thanks!

What we did in '13 and will do again:

Get a new dish sponge (or more, depending on length of stay), cut in half/thirds (preference) and soak in a dish of dish soap. Let dry (took us 48 hrs, rotated often) and toss in a Baggie. Rehydrate as needed.

I have a little bottle that is just a couple ounces that I fill with dish soap from home.

What we did in '13 and will do again:

Get a new dish sponge (or more, depending on length of stay), cut in half/thirds (preference) and soak in a dish of dish soap. Let dry (took us 48 hrs, rotated often) and toss in a Baggie. Rehydrate as needed.
This is a good idea! Thanks!

I have a little bottle that is just a couple ounces that I fill with dish soap from home.
This was what I was thinking of doing if they don't sell it. Thanks!

Has anybody used the kids' club in WL? Did your kids love it? I'm having fantasies of dropping the kids off for a couple hours. :) I'm not sure it'll fit into out schedule, but a girl can dream.

They do sell it, a smaller bottle for around four dollars. We bought one one year, but it was way more than we could use during the trip so now we usually fill a small bottle from home. No problem grabbing one at the Mercantile if you don't want to deal with it ahead of time. Enjoy!

Returned from The Lodge on Saturday after a six day visit. Our first time there after stays at CBR, Poly, Dixie Landings (Now Port Orleans Riverside) and I must say, Wilderness Lodge was the best! I loved the homey feeling we got there, and loved being able to relax away from the hubbub of the parks. We especially liked the quiet pool area. It truly felt as if we were coming home!

Some have asked about construction. It is there now (maybe not the refurb coming up, but construction, nonetheless) and it was an inconvenience to us our first two days there. We were in a woods view room on the on the south side. Scaffolding was being built and there was a lot of yelling and loud talking amongst the construction workers. Plus, even though they weren't right outside our room, we were in full view of them (and they of us) if we went outside on our deck, or even had the curtains open. It was impossible to rest or nap in the afternoons when they were working, due to the noise. That being said, we told the concierge at the front desk about it and he quickly and gladly suggested a move to a quieter spot. He facilitated the move for us and it was painless! Plus, we had a quiet room (north wing, woods view) and could even see the castle, monorail, and fireworks! We are so grateful that we mentioned the noise. We were just hoping to know when the noise would stop, and didn't even suggest the move! Disney does its best to please, and this was certainly our experience.

We will definitely stay at WL on our next visit to WDW. I didn't even mention the wonderful dinner we had at Artist's Point! But that's another thread for another time... :)

Two weeks from now we will be on a plane headed back to WDW for our first stay at WL. We haven't told the kids yet, and are going to tell them on the day we start our journey (the day before as we will be spending one night in Buffalo before our flight). Can't wait to finally get the chance to stay at the Lodge and see first hand how much fun it seems. Thanks for keeping this thread going, as it has helped considerably.

We're getting close! Just three weeks to go! I'm pretty much as ready as I can be until the day before we leave! I packed everything I could and now I just need to sit and wait. It's going to be a long 3 weeks. :sad2: I can't wait to finally get to WL though! I know it's going to be wonderful! :goodvibes

Just had my wait list for Boardwalk Villas comes through so we won't be staying at WL this trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter