Disney's smoking ban could be relieved a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, he simply relates the situations to the guest services managers at the specific hotels/resorts.
One extreme situation he handled was a child with one parent with partial CIPA syndrome(the inability to feel pain) that was apart of a group. The parent smoked, and leaving the room was a Designated Smoking Area was unsafe, so he notified guest services and learned they arranged a move to SOG due to the circumstances.

Again, this is why this was placed in the "Rumor" section, this is what he hears and just passing it along.

SOG is a nonsmoking resort, so he couldn't have moved a smoking disabled nonmilitary resort guest to a nonsmoking military/DOD only hotel so she could smoke.

Except that SOG is also non-smoking, according to those who have stayed there. So, what did moving them there do? And why was a PARK person rather than a RESORT person dealing with it?

Smoking is permitted on the balconies of Shades of Green rooms, still as of November 2008. Policy may have changed since then, but it is confirmed on this thread on tripadvisor.com:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...Disney_no_smoking_policy-Orlando_Florida.html

As far as your request for "proof of a move" what do you want me to do in that respect? I'm sorry I cannot provide that.

Smoking is permitted on the balconies of Shades of Green rooms, still as of November 2008. Policy may have changed since then, but it is confirmed on this thread on tripadvisor.com:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...Disney_no_smoking_policy-Orlando_Florida.html

As far as your request for "proof of a move" what do you want me to do in that respect? I'm sorry I cannot provide that.

Read the link straight from SoG site - they are a non-smoking hotel.

And I'm not the one that asked for proof (not that I think you'd be able to provide it).

Personally I'd love to see balconies allowed again.

Here is the question of the day.

Asia has a much higher smoking rate then the US. The US has a much bigger obesity problem. Which one has the higher life expectancy?

Are you a smoker? Is that why you are pushing this?

I did ask about this due to the fact I am a smoker yes.

I just called Shades of Green main number 407-824-3400 and spoke to reservations, and confirmed that smoking on the balconies is still allowed. Sorry to go off topic but I'm simply defending my story.

Again, here's a thread on the subject, dated in early November 2008 where a reviewer states smoking on the balcony is permitted at Shades of Green:

I don't mind people calling BS on me, perfectly fine for the thread. I cannot provide proof of my conversation and obviously all posts in a rumor section are worthy of criticism.
However if your not going to take the time to read the proof I do provide, I don't know what to say.

Personally I'd love to see balconies allowed again.

Here is the question of the day.

Asia has a much higher smoking rate then the US. The US has a much bigger obesity problem. Which one has the higher life expectancy?

US has a higher expectancy than Asia. Of course you are comparing a single country to an entire continent. Actually there are only a few countries within Asia that have a higher life expectancy.

Not that it has anything to do with the discussion and not that those three pieces of information - smoking rates, obesity rates, and life expectancy can be taken to attribute causality (that would be ecological fallacy).

I did ask about this due to the fact I am a smoker yes.

I just called Shades of Green main number 407-824-3400 and spoke to reservations, and confirmed that smoking on the balconies is still allowed. .

The SOG reservation office is closed on Saturdays.

I'm sorry but there are several parts to the original post which make absolutely no sense at all.

One is that Disney has no control over policies at the Swan (or Dolphn). Those Resorts are owned and operated by Starwood Hotels (Sawn is Westin, Dolphin is Sheraton) and Starwood has their own smoking policies.

Another is that Disney cannot put Guests into SoG. Not only is there a very long-term lease which takes SoG out of Disney's control, but the number of rooms for disabled access at SoG is very limited, as well as SoG normally overflows to the regular Disney Resorts.

And someone in Guest Relations, even a manager, at a Park would not have any input; this sort of thing is determined at the highest corporate levels.
I agree that most decisions are made from coporate levels. Nevertheless, if the Guest Relations employee has heard a rumor through the "grapevine", then perhaps it is information worth heeding.

Gosh - I hope they extend the ban instead of lifting it. We have one son who is deathly allergic to smoke. Aside from being the most revolting stench it's making people sick.

If it is your habit - this is your problem - it is NOT your right to share your problem with me and my family. You are inflicting your nasty habit on us - we didn't get a choice. You are making the decision to affect the health of my son and that is NOT your right or privelege.

Disney shouldn't even permit smoking in the park - it's not family friendly to permit it and affect the health and lives of the majority who do not share your particular need to kill yourself slowly.

The few things that I can say about this conversation are:

1. Lots of things happen to accommodate guests that at first glance might seem 'impossible'.

2. Lots of CM's know all kinds of information about parts of the business outside of their direct area of employment. The CM's I know have gotten the jump on any number of things coming down the pike thru the 'CM Grapevine'.

3. While it seems unlikely, I don't discount this story at all. I believe the poster as posted. It'll be interesting to see the outcome. I always thought the 'no smoking on balconies' would prove difficult for Disney... seems like I had that part right maybe.

Knox

While it seems unlikely, I don't discount this story at all. I believe the poster as posted. It'll be interesting to see the outcome. I always thought the 'no smoking on balconies' would prove difficult for Disney... seems like I had that part right maybe.
All good points but it's really hard to repeal a decision once it's been broadcast. Frankly...I don't care what Disney does with their resorts and since I live here, I don't spend money on hotel rooms...JMHO.

I have no idea if the OP has inside information and I certainly don't have any myself. But what I can point out is that at least a certain percentage of smokers will smoke in their rooms even knowing they are non smoking rooms. If a hotel offers some smoking rooms at least they know (for the most part) which rooms are being smoked in. If you don't offer any smoking rooms you never know which rooms are going to need to be deep cleaned on any given day because of the guest who just checked out. Extra fee charged to the guest or not, it's still extra work for the hotel.

First - Swan and Dolphin are owned by Starwood and they do not allow smoking on any of their US properties under the Westin, Sheraton, or Four Points by Sheraton names (Swan/Dolphins are Westins)

To be exact, they are owned by Tishman Hotel and Realty and managed by Starwood, which does have the non-smoking policy you cited. One is managed as a Westin, one is managed as a Sheraton.

I'm fine with the room bans... the balcony bans are totally unacceptable. Of course, that is a matter of opinion.

My guess is that if they do, it will be because of the number of European travelers.

The number of visitors from Europe to WDW is very low; the number who stay onsite at WDW resorts even lower, and is not significant enough to drive any sort of policy change. Even including UK visitors into 'Europe' (which is not generally how the stats are tallied), the number of onsite UK visitors is extremely low. Most choose to stay offsite due to their much longer length of stay and desire to see the other parts of Orlando/Florida.

The number of non-smoking rooms outside of North America continues to grow.

If WDW did take such a step, I suspect that it would be due to their poor enforcement and the fallout. Rather than take such a reactive measure, they should improve their enforcement of their own rules.

(and out of respect for my fellow 'foreigners' who have already posted on this thread, may I request that we not make this into yet another 'blame the foreigners' topic? There are many Americans who smoke, who utilize the DSAs at Disney, and some who do stray from those areas. Smoking bans are in place across Europe, just like in America, and often more strict than in America. I was in MO last month, and I can assure you that the rules there are nowhere as strict as in Bavaria)

Disney shouldn't even permit smoking in the park - it's not family friendly to permit it and affect the health and lives of the majority who do not share your particular need to kill yourself slowly.

Not to turn this into a smoking vs nonsmoking debate (because I understand that such threads are locked here), the amount of control that Disney can and should exert over guests should have limits.

Disney has taken steps by introducing DSAs throughout the parks and resorts. Those who do not wish to smoke can avoid the DSAs, but should respect the smokers who do occupy those spaces.

Initially some of the DSAs in the resorts and parks were ill-placed; I understand that the majority have now been moved into more appropriate areas based on guest feedback. Your best option is to make yourself aware of those areas as they are marked on guidemaps, and respect the space of those who do choose to utilize them.

I respect anyone whom has allergies to smoke. Personally, I'd rather see smoking rooms on smoking floors rather than smoking on balconies as smoke does rise.
Again, criticism of the information I have provided is completely acceptable. I cannot name my cousin, nor the name of the park he works at for his job security. You are perfectly welcome to dismiss my story. I will however defend his details of my story as I have. I find it ironic someone says Shades of Green Reservations office is closed on Saturdays, however doesn't take the extra step and ask the hotel directly about the smoking policy nor reads the proof I provide. The mind-set of "your wrong, but I won't pay attention to what you say" is truly aggravating.

The information I have passed along is simply second-hand knowledge I have learned from my cousin.

Gosh - I hope they extend the ban instead of lifting it. We have one son who is deathly allergic to smoke. Aside from being the most revolting stench it's making people sick.

If it is your habit - this is your problem - it is NOT your right to share your problem with me and my family. You are inflicting your nasty habit on us - we didn't get a choice. You are making the decision to affect the health of my son and that is NOT your right or privelege.

I'm sorry, and you are entitled to your opinion (as am I) but this is just hypersensitive rubbish.

The smoking ban is fine the way it is, although they should probably consider having a building or floor (depending on the resort configuration) made smoking, but not allow smoking on the balconies because of the rising smoke issue.

The DSAs in the theme parks are for the most part well-placed. They are small and easily avoidable if you are paying any kind of attention. Smokers are already herded (well, the responsible and considerate ones are) into little enclaves like lepers; I think that's enough ostracization for them.

Seriously, IF (and that's a big if!) everyone followed the rules that are now in place, you are about as likely to get sick from second-hand smoke as you are from breathing in fumes from the buses that drive you all over the property. Unfortunately you always have those inconsiderate jerks who won't follow the rules, but that's part of being around lots of people. There are always some portion of the people who won't follow the rules. If they don't, they should be dealt with.

And as far as the "stench" goes and asthma attacks, my wife has horrendous asthma attacks anytime she gets near someone wearing too much perfume. Shall we herd those people into little pits of despair as well?

First, you are correct about Swan and Dolphin. Both chains are owned by hotel corporations that have independent policies about smoking rooms. When my cousin mentioned "upscale and convention hotels" they were first to my mind.
Businesses make concessions all the time for the right to operate in a given environment. None of us knows the specifics under which the Dolphin and Swan operate at WDW or what contractual agreements the 3 may have.

I respect anyone whom has allergies to smoke. Personally, I'd rather see smoking rooms on smoking floors rather than smoking on balconies as smoke does rise.
Again, criticism of the information I have provided is completely acceptable. I cannot name my cousin, nor the name of the park he works at for his job security. You are perfectly welcome to dismiss my story. I will however defend his details of my story as I have. I find it ironic someone says Shades of Green Reservations office is closed on Saturdays, however doesn't take the extra step and ask the hotel directly about the smoking policy nor reads the proof I provide. The mind-set of "your wrong, but I won't pay attention to what you say" is truly aggravating.

The information I have passed along is simply second-hand knowledge I have learned from my cousin.

And I find it ironic that you choose to ignore the proof that I provided - that it clearly states directly on the Shades of Green website that they are a Smoke Free resort. I took that "proof" over the anonymous posting of people on a message board. Heck, if I could use message boards for proof, I'd have thought that Swan and Dolphin would be allowing smoking soon.

Now, clearly there is a difference between what is posted on their website and what you were told on the phone. I am not sure why that would be - perhaps the website is out of date or (I think more likely) SoG has decided that monitoring smoking on balconies is not worth the effort and allows it as a "loophole" to the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter