• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's River Country - Who's Been!? How does it compare to today's water parks?

CampbellzSoup

Son. Husband. Father.
Just asking I see all of the youtube areas of how it is now but how did you guys enjoy it!

Also why don't they use that area for anything? Isn't that puzzling??

River Country was fun back in the day. Only reason I ever went was because Typhoon Lagoon was at capacity. It became less popular after TL and Blizzard Beach opened. It was much smaller and out of the way to get to. Do a board search for threads pertaining, has been the source of much discussion over the years.

We use to go all the time when I was a kid...early 80's, and we loved it. It was such a fun park. We would spend most of the day there and just ride the few rides over and over. Many fond memories and stories to tell. I went again sometime in the late 90s and it wasn't the same. As an adult I realized how small it really was and really wasn't as appealing. I don't know if it was still open today if I would spend the money to go when BB and TL are so much better. But, I do hate to see it in such disrepair since it was such a fun part of my childhood.

I never went, but I must say that I like looking at the RC "ruins" from the water - spooky! It would also be exciting if they used the space for something else, though.

The videos I've seen of it now are creepy. It'd be cool if disney could make it like a haunted attraction like universal's horror nights. I know that's totally not safe or disney though lol...

We went when I was probably 9 or so. It was lots of fun for a kid, but looking back and realizing it really didn't have that much to do there. I think the nostalgia is why everyone talks about it now like it was such a great place. I have a feeling if it were still open, people would be talking about it like they do Captain EO.

We always went when we stayed at Fort Wilderness. I thought it was a blast. A very down-home swimming hole kind of place. I never really compared it to BB and TL... two different animals for me. When they first opened we were offered River Country as an add-on to our annual pass for $25/year. What a deal! Lol! Sigh... I really miss it.

Went there frequently as a kid in the 80s and spent most of my time playing water volleyball while my sister liked the pool.

I went a couple of times in the '80s when I was about 12 or 13. I mostly remember the slides at the pool. At that age, I was happy in any water. In comparison to today's water parks, I would say it would almost be an oversized pool area. There wasn't too much to do and not a lot of thrills.

We went once back in the 80's. I'll echo other posters that said it was fun. I liked the slides and the pools but it wouldn't hold up with today's crowds.

We went back in the 80's also.....thought it was great! as far as I know, it's now a wild life sanctuary....pretty cool looking area.

We went when I was probably 9 or so. It was lots of fun for a kid, but looking back and realizing it really didn't have that much to do there. I think the nostalgia is why everyone talks about it now like it was such a great place. I have a feeling if it were still open, people would be talking about it like they do Captain EO.

i think it would still be fun, but you are right im not sure it would be as popular. and i think its still beloved right now since it is closed and even though I LOVE CAPTAIN EO, i think people would be trashing RC (though not me just like i dont trash CE :o)

When River Country was built there were no other water parks., TL and BB were just rough plans on paper.. It was indeed a *Ole Swimming Hole*, in a lake or pond, with rope swings and swimming platforms and kids fun stuff and of course the 3 water slides. There was the pool and 2 short slides that ended about 10' above the pool water. There was a QS food place or you cold bring your own picnic food and sit on the beach or picnic tables It was really a fun park.

It was usually pretty full as I remember.

With the opening of TL and BB things changed and attendance dropped. The final straw was the problem with the ameba/ bio issues in Florida lakes, Disney decided to close it do and its ahs sat their since.

It would need to be totally rebuilt now.

AKK

you have to remember back then safety wasn't as big a thing as it is now. At River Country there was White Water Rapids (or a very similar name) where you carried your tube up to the top and got in - it was a river/ stream with turns and eddies (where you could get stuck). Many people rode down at the same time - I remember grabbing onto my brother's tubes sometimes trying to get out of an eddy. It was loads of fun. Now of course in TL and BB it is one person at a time. There was a lot more horseplay and no doubt less safe behavior that took place - as kids we LOVED it!

you have to remember back then safety wasn't as big a thing as it is now. At River Country there was White Water Rapids (or a very similar name) where you carried your tube up to the top and got in - it was a river/ stream with turns and eddies (where you could get stuck). Many people rode down at the same time - I remember grabbing onto my brother's tubes sometimes trying to get out of an eddy. It was loads of fun. Now of course in TL and BB it is one person at a time. There was a lot more horseplay and no doubt less safe behavior that took place - as kids we LOVED it!

I remember going when I was a teenager and doing a backflip into one of the pools. I think it was the concrete one with the slides. Pretty sure if you did something like that into a pool now anywhere on property they would kick you out for at least the day, but all I got was a lifeguard saying "hey, no flips, flipboy..." Good times.

Ahh I love a post with my name in the title. Honestly my memories of RC are great. Safety shmafety rope swings and tire swings = rope burns and bellyflops. the slides seems were not that tight so your leg or suit could get and probably did get pinched but it was 1986 so who cared I know I didn't. there was a picnic area and we could and did spend all day there. I still have a beach towel from River Country and will never get rid of it. There is no comparison to BB or TL. River Country was used up until 2001 I believe
rivercountry2_frombaylake2011ww.jpg

We used to go to Ft Wilderness every year when I was a kid. Back then, there was no pool at the Fort - just RC. My first trip was in 1976 and we went every year until about 1981. It was the first "waterpark" I had ever been to so I thought it was the greatest thing in the world.

I really loved river country..we went during our very first visit to the fort... much more laid back...picnic,play in the sand...great memories..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter