• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's Random Metal Detectors..

Do you like the metal detectors?

• Total voters

MrGoofy101

Stitch Likes Toys...
So we went to Disney in Early December, Back when the metal detectors were random. Funny thing is, we ALWAYS Got picked to go through. I Thought they were random?

I'm sure there is some amount of profiling in place, looking for people in the crowd that match certain criteria to select for extra security.

I carried a large backpack to the parks last year and always chosen for "random" screening.

There were some days during our trip on which metal detectors were required for all guests.

I just got back and only my daughter and I had to go through one, just one day at MK. Nobody else had to go through, on any other day.

I guess DS fit the profile, or something, because he always got "randomly" picked. It kind of surprised me that, on our last trip, I was randomly selected after bag check to be wanded. Frankly, that's the first time I've seen anyone with an ECV being selected. I know there's no guarantees with an ECV, but it kind of surprised me since I'd not noticed it before.

Mom and I got picked every time we went into a park. We literally had our phones--that was it. It took an extra few seconds and then we were on our way in. :)

As you can see, it's random.

Sometimes they do have everyone go through it though

When we were there the week after Thanksgiving, everyone going to MK had to go through the detectors. It was random at the other parks. I had to laugh because one Security CM was telling everyone "you've been randomly selected...." I guess he was used to saying that spiel.

On our last MK day, the backup at the detectors we had to go through was so bad that the Security CM just told a bunch of us not to worry about it.

Husband actually complained on one trip because he would get selected each time and was told "it is random" but I could see the guards kind of having the same answer all the time. Then, last trip, *I* was selected and he never was. He shut up about the process last trip :)

I personally do not think it is random. In WDW and especially in DL, it was the same kind of look in almost all of the lines for the metal detectors.

Tattoos, different colored hair (pink, blue, purple, uncommon reds), larger men and women, men and women in "wife beater" shirts and a few other noticeable "traits".

My husband & I are Florida Resident Annual Passholders & go at least 2-3 times a month during a "slow" month. We are a middle aged middle class Caucasian couple - I've been told countless times I look like a librarian - and one or the other of us gets picked to go thru the metal detectors the overwhelming majority of the time. It's no big deal to us at all, takes just a minute at most, so, based on our experience, I absolutely do not think there is any "profiling" and it is indeed, random.

I personally do not think it is random. In WDW and especially in DL, it was the same kind of look in almost all of the lines for the metal detectors.

Tattoos, different colored hair (pink, blue, purple, uncommon reds), larger men and women, men and women in "wife beater" shirts and a few other noticeable "traits".
My husband is a 64 year old 6ft with an average build and not a single tattoo and would not even know what a "wife beater" shirt is. His hair is short cut with just a touch of grey and a well trimmed mustache. In our past two trips of 10 days each he was chosen every single time at every park. One day we did three parks in a day and he was chosen every time. I have never been chosen, not once. We laugh about it and even had him carry the back pack instead of me. It didn't make a difference.

I had a high participation rate from day one, became family joke.
I was hoping for a stamp card and prize at the end ...........
Two weeks ago (for a week) everyone at Epcot went through, "random" for the rest of the parks.
Until everyone goes through at every park .... I see no point.
I'm fine with it.

just got back. the only park that they were still doing random metal detector checks in was AK. Funny thing was, even people who weren't picked to go through the detector tended to still get in line for them and go through, just out of habit.

I'm not convinced that the metal detectors would make any sort of difference to a determined violent individual, but, in the end, it's a small inconvenience for park goers to deal with, for even some nominal increase in safety.

I was selected every time we went to Epcot on our December trip. Never at any other park. DH was only once. Also at Epcot.

Then why did my husband, age 56, short military style hair cut with lots of touches of white, average T shirt, shorts at his waist with the length below his knees, sports socks, and regular sneakers (no holes), get picked five out of seven times in two days? Husband does have a beer belly but not huge and he's only 5'6" tall. I think you might want to reconsider this answer.

You can't be serious with this
We've spent many days in the parks this past year and no, there was no 1 look of the guests chosen for the metal detectors. Sorry, this is just silly

Oh, to answer your poll question, I don't care. I do not believe as a guest I was in danger before them and I do not believe I'm safer now because of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter