Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Does anyone know if they are offering the cane pole fishing on Ol' Man Island again? I heard it was suspended after the alligator attacks, but the information never left Disney's website. My fiance would love to say he went fishing at Disney World (and the excursions are out of our budget), but because we'll be at a different WDW resort, we'd save ourselves the trip if it isn't going on.

Does anyone know if they are offering the cane pole fishing on Ol' Man Island again? I heard it was suspended after the alligator attacks, but the information never left Disney's website. My fiance would love to say he went fishing at Disney World (and the excursions are out of our budget), but because we'll be at a different WDW resort, we'd save ourselves the trip if it isn't going on.

We were there last week. The pole fishing was open every morning we walked by it. Only saw a handful of people there over the week, though.

I know that this is probably already asked, but is the address in post #1 the one to use for shipping to the resort, when I put it in on NFL.com, it suggested Orlando as the city and a different end to the zip code.

I am debating between staying at POR instead of POFQ. We have stayed at POFQ and really liked the pool, size of the resort and the buses. How do the buses compare at POR? We also most always got a seat when we took the bus to/from POFQ. Is POR like the values where you are just as likely to be standing as you are to be sitting? We would be travelling in early May.

I am debating between staying at POR instead of POFQ. We have stayed at POFQ and really liked the pool, size of the resort and the buses. How do the buses compare at POR? We also most always got a seat when we took the bus to/from POFQ. Is POR like the values where you are just as likely to be standing as you are to be sitting? We would be travelling in early May.

We just stayed at POR 8/31-9/11. We loved it, but the buses were the downside. We were at the 2nd stop, and sometimes waited quite awhile for buses. Most morning there was plenty of seating, but often coming back from the parks it was standing room only. Also, from Epcot and AK we shared a bus with POFQ and it would drop off there first. I would say I was able to get a seat more often than not, but there was almost always people standing.

Does anyone know the options that are available when doing online check-in for a Standard room? I tried looking and couldn't find that information- thank you!

Last edited:
We did a trip in July to POR and a trip in Aug to POFQ.
Honestly, the bus situation at both was pretty darn similar.
We got seats sometimes, we stood others. We never waited excessive times.
When we boarded at FQ we'd have to head to Riverside many of the times, meaning a long wait on the bus. DH will always stand if a bus gets full so it doesn't matter where he gets on or if he has a seat, he's standing by the end when it's full.
When we boarded at POR it may be full but we could get on, or there was a bus on the horizon for the same park, and were on and off to the parks much quicker.
For us it was a wash. And didn't come away from either trip with a single complaint.

When we boarded at FQ we'd have to head to Riverside many of the times, meaning a long wait on the bus. DH will always stand if a bus gets full so it doesn't matter where he gets on or if he has a seat, he's standing by the end when it's full.
When we boarded at POR it may be full but we could get on, or there was a bus on the horizon for the same park, and were on and off to the parks much quicker.
For us it was a wash. And didn't come away from either trip with a single complaint.

Thanks! Good information.

I've never had a bus issue, really. You can't always get on the first one, but as you said, there is usually another coming when it is that crowded.

POFQ only has 1 bus stop, POR has 4. We like the bus stop behind mansion area, either East or North. During our stays we rarely shared with POFQ during peak times. I find at park closing any bus is horrible. Doesn't matter where you stay.
I like POFQ very much, but my pref is Riverside.

Most of Sept and all of Oct too.
I had no problem with June though. Even got a standard. There was very little any dates at CBR. Every date I checked was pirate only except i did find preferred for December. Slim pickings for sure on this bounceback.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter