• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

A few construction update photos from yesterday, for more see http://www.portorleans.org/rehab.php.

Ol' Man Island working is progressing nicely, all the pool and hot tub tiling has been removed and repair work is being done on the pool lining and the water features. They also seem to be setting up for mounting posts beside all of the entrance pathways, and some vegetation has already been cleared for the new perimeter fencing.

PO.org-Guest-RiverRooster-20160131-110444_forum.jpg

PO.org-Guest-RiverRooster-20160131-110131_forum.jpg

PO.org-Guest-RiverRooster-20160131-120528_forum.jpg

PO.org-Guest-RiverRooster-20160131-120531_forum.jpg

The pick-up spot for the shuttle to the French Quarter pool is by the gazebo outside Magnolia Terrace:

PO.org-Guest-RiverRooster-20160131-110843_forum.jpg

The Magnolia Terrace (building 85) roofing work will be split into five phases, and is expected to run through until 15th July. The first phase has already commenced, which comprises the whole of central section of the building. That section should come back into service on 26th February and then work will commence on each of the four outer ‘wings’ in turn.

PO.org-Guest-RiverRooster-20160131-111023_forum.jpg

PO.org-Guest-RiverRooster-20160131-110831_forum.jpg

PO.org-Guest-RiverRooster-20160131-120712_forum.jpg

Andre

Last edited:

Better be out at the bus stop at 7:00 if you need to be at Magic Kingdom before 8am. That way if you just miss the bus, you'll get on the next one.

A few construction update photos from yesterday, for more see http://www.portorleans.org/rehab.php.

Ol' Man Island working is progressing nicely, all the pool and hot tub tiling has been removed and repair work is being done on the pool lining and the water features. They also seem to be setting up for mounting posts beside all of the entrance pathways, and some vegetation has already been cleared for the new perimeter fencing.

PO.org-Guest-RiverRooster-20160131-110444_forum.jpg

Oh my precious Ol' Man Island.....It hurts my heart to see you like this.....feel better soon :crutches:

Is the ride around 20 minutes?

Probably-ish, depending on which stop you get on at, and which stops the bus then calls at before departing from the main gates, etc. The actual ride portion from leaving the exit gate at POR to parking at the MK bus stop is about 10 mins.

However I agree with previous posters, to be on the safe side if you've got something special booked, be at the bus stop about an hour before the time you need to be in the park. If you arrive at the bus stop at 7:30am just as a bus has left, then wait 20 mins for the next one, then do the circuit around the extra Port Orelans stops, then get caught in a long line for bag-checks, then another line at the entrance plaza... well, you get the picture.

Andre

Oh my precious Ol' Man Island.....It hurts my heart to see you like this.....feel better soon :crutches:

I know what you mean!

The thing that's worrying me a bit is the perimeter fencing that they are going to be installing. I really do hope that they will be putting in something beautifully themed and in keeping with the whole Ol' Man Island concept and backstory (hewn wooden posts and spliced rope fencing like the marina dockside would be perfect, or at least wooden post and rail fencing like on the bridges).

However recent experience tends to make me think they are more likely to just use cheap and tacky modern metal poles or wire mesh like they did in the parking lot a few years ago, or the island-side approach to the main bridge last year:

POR-Main-2012-6739_forum.jpg

upload_2016-2-3_17-47-36.png

I know most people probably won't even notice, but IMHO good theming is all about the little details - get those right and the big picture works, but get them wrong and gradually you start to lose the concept you are trying to portray.

Andre

Last edited:
I just booked a room for my family at the Polynesian for Feb 2017, but after looking at the photos of this resort and especially the Royal Rooms, I'm wondering if I should consider a switch.

I'll be traveling with my husband and 2 kids, ages 5 and 3. We'll be using strollers for both of them. Would the bus situation be a pain with the strollers? Is this resort "fun" for toddlers?

So many decisions!!:yo-yo:

I know what you mean!

The thing that's worrying me a bit is the perimeter fencing that they are going to be installing. I really do hope that they will be putting in something beautifully themed and in keeping with the whole Ol' Man Island concept and backstory (hewn wooden posts and spliced rope fencing like the marina dockside would be perfect, or at least wooden post and rail fencing like on the bridges).

However recent experience tends to make me think they are more likely to just use cheap and tacky modern metal poles or wire mesh like they did in the parking lot a few years ago, or the island-side approach to the main bridge last year:

I know most people probably won't even notice, but IMHO good theming is all about the little details - get those right and the big picture works, but get them wrong and gradually you start to lose the concept you are trying to portray.

Andre

OK - I know this is silly, but please tell me they plan on reinstalling the blue tiles that depict the frogs and lilypads around the inside perimeter of the pool! Those tiles gave the pool so much character - it is truly all about the little details.

OK - I know this is silly, but please tell me they plan on reinstalling the blue tiles that depict the frogs and lilypads around the inside perimeter of the pool! Those tiles gave the pool so much character - it is truly all about the little details.

I do hope so, but they've removed ALL of the tiling from the pool and hot tub, so I wonder if they are going to put a new design in place? In much the same way as the room refurbs changed the decor details if not the actual layout. Hopefully the spirit will stay the same though.

Andre

I do hope so, but they've removed ALL of the tiling from the pool and hot tub, so I wonder if they are going to put a new design in place? In much the same way as the room refurbs changed the decor details if not the actual layout. Hopefully the spirit will stay the same though.

Andre
Do you think the pool might be done by March 26?

I know what you mean!

POR-Main-2012-6739_forum.jpg

View attachment 149204

Andre
Oh no....I hope they don't choose something like that! I love the "organicness" of POR.....That is a HUGE part of why it is my favourite! All of the lush landscaping, the froggies in the ponds, the natural environment. Fingers crossed they make a wise choice.

If I'd like to be in building 16 or 17, is it better to ask by the building numbers or just to say AB close to main building? We have a garden view booked.

Do you think the pool might be done by March 26?

It should be yes, the completion date is currently still 4 March. Of course it could always overrun (the current French Quarter work is two months behind the original timeline for example).

If I'd like to be in building 16 or 17, is it better to ask by the building numbers or just to say AB close to main building? We have a garden view booked.

If you want buildings 16 or 17 specifically for some reason, then ask for them. If you really do want "Alligator Bayou, close to the main building" then ask for that (as you might even get upgraded to 14 or 15 if your luck is in).

Andre

Thanks Andre. That's exactly what I was wondering, if I'd be limiting an upgrade possibility by requesting specific buildings.

Thanks for the info. I'm really hoping the pool area will be done by the time we are there. I'm sure it will be especially nice with everything being new.

Can someone verify for me exactly when and how we can make special room requests (corner room, preferred floor, etc.)? I know they are only requests and are not guaranteed, but I cannot remember how we made these type of requests on our previous trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter