• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Going back to POR this year after 6 years. We have a garden room ressie, but please remind me....which bldgs. Are Garden View. I really like the proximity to everything to blog. 17 and 27. Good choices when I place my requests? I'm sure I will have many questions up until we go. We have been CBR folks for quite a few years and 1 year WL, so this might only be the first of many. Thanks everyone.

All buildings have garden view rooms. You can't request building 27 because it's all preferred rooms. It's really better to request what you want (for instance, close to main building) than to ask for a specific building.

Is there somewhere that I can find out which bldgs are perferred and which are garden view rooms? I really can't tell on the POR map

I booked a standard room. When I do online check in, what options will I be given? I think the main thing I'd like is to be in the Magnolia Bend section. Do they ask if you want MB or AB?? Thanks!

I may have missed it but did anyone say if they have heard from Venomhatch? I hope he is okay. His wisdom is missed.

Andre, have you heard from him?

We have a garden room ressie, but please remind me....which bldgs. Are Garden View. I really like the proximity to everything to blog. 17 and 27. Good choices when I place my requests?

All of the buildings have some Garden View rooms, see the maps in http://www.portorleans.org/floorplans.php and look for any rooms highlighted in green.

Buildings 16 or 17 would be good choices to request if you want Alligator Bayou, but 27 would be classed as a Preferred Location and so technically an upgrade.

I booked a standard room. When I do online check in, what options will I be given? I think the main thing I'd like is to be in the Magnolia Bend section. Do they ask if you want MB or AB?? Thanks!

The tickboxes in the online checkin system are very limited, just upper/lower floors and corner rooms. They were planning more than a year ago to add AB vs. MB as a request, but after a glitch where Polynesian building options appeared on the form for Port Orleans guests, it hasn't happened as yet. Best to follow the request and faxing advice in http://www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php rather than relying on Online Checkin to be much help.

Andre

What a great resource of information here! Thanks to all who have contributed :) Our trip will be end Jan/early Feb around 10 days and 8 park days. Our resort choices are still pretty up in the air with our final choices depending on discounts offered at the time we are traveling. I am strongly considering POR ;) which is why I am here. I thought how great it would be to spend the mornings in the parks, then perhaps after a swim/break in the afternoon-early evening, to take the boat to DD for dinner. My husband was questioning the construction regarding the downtown Disney area and it got me thinking how it would effect the boat ride and dining plans? I was thinking we'd likely go two times. Maybe once to T-Rex and once to Raglan Road. We'd likely dine at the parks 2-3 times(looking at Boma or Sanaa, 50's Prime Time, and The Garden Grill) and maybe once at Trails End and twice(?) at Boatwrights.

Part of the appeal of staying at POR, would be to boat to dinner, it sounds so lovely and relaxing! Any issues I should at least be warned about before making a final decision? Will construction still be going on then? Will the river boats be shut down etc. Thanks for any insight!

My 499 day mark is 6/2 and I have made my final decision. Headed to POR in October 2016 for my birthday. Briefly considered trying a FW cabin but I didn't want to be "home sick" my whole WDW stay. AB standard room. Yahoo!!

Last edited:
Part of the appeal of staying at POR, would be to boat to dinner, it sounds so lovely and relaxing! Any issues I should at least be warned about before making a final decision? Will construction still be going on then? Will the river boats be shut down etc. Thanks for any insight!

Construction will still be going on through to summer 2016 (and I'm guessing some stuff will probably carry on beyond then). However the Sassagoula Ferry boats will not be affected, they've continued running during all of the works.

Andre

Happy to hear Andre...thanks for the reply :) I think we will really enjoy POR if that is where we end up!

We couldn't resist one more WDW visit on our Annual Pass - our 5th trip within 12 months! POR, our favorite resort, July 10-13. A short trip, but I have limited vacation time (and we have to be in Colombia for many weeks to adopt kids this fall). It will be hot and humid, so we may spend afternoons in a POR pool.

All of the buildings have some Garden View rooms, see the maps in http://www.portorleans.org/floorplans.php and look for any rooms highlighted in green.

Buildings 16 or 17 would be good choices to request if you want Alligator Bayou, but 27 would be classed as a Preferred Location and so technically an upgrade.

The tickboxes in the online checkin system are very limited, just upper/lower floors and corner rooms. They were planning more than a year ago to add AB vs. MB as a request, but after a glitch where Polynesian building options appeared on the form for Port Orleans guests, it hasn't happened as yet. Best to follow the request and faxing advice in http://www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php rather than relying on Online Checkin to be much help.

Andre

Thanks, Andre!

You're right, the ferry boats don't start until 10am. Normally I would not suggest driving to DTD at the moment (with all the construction work and restricted parking) but at 8:30am you'll be absolutely fine. So drive to DTD with your daughter, and then drive over to Epcot afterwards. The others can take the bus directly from the resort to Epcot and meet you there. Allow yourself 30 minutes to drive over to DTD, park, walk to the BBB and checkin earlier than your appointment time.

Andre
^^^That one, lol! Still don't quite have the hang of the quote/reply features :sad2:

I just got back from a week long stay in a Royal room in POR and it was amazing. It was my first trip as an adult and it was a solo trip as well. It was (mostly) easy to navigate and I found that the actual resort was so so so beautiful. I think that this will always be my home resort even though I have visits at french quarter and boardwalk coming up.

I found the ferry boats a really easy mode of transportation to DTD, and it was a nice relaxing ride and I had a funny and informative captain. Disney really makes it easy to get around with their transportation.

We just got back today from 8 days in a RR River view at POR. When we first arrived I was a little bummed about our room location, but they were very busy and did not have anything else available. We paid for a river view and technically we received a river view - but you can really only see the river in the Fall/Winter when some leaves fall off of the trees...lol...because right now it is more like an amazing garden/tree view room! I debated all week if I would say something as I was bit disappointed thinking I should have just paid for Garden View, but kept deciding against because everything else was so wonderful it was not important enough.

We had 2 family members who via a "Magical Moment" were upgraded to the Contemporary! We were very happy for them. But last night my DH's grandmother fell when they arrived back to CR (it was late - 11ish). My husband had to rush over and someone from POR Bell Services took it upon themselves to drive him there instead of having him wait for a cab.

I finally decided to speak with a manager because between all the amazing help they provided to my family to/from hospital etc - it was just too much and we wanted to make sure every one knew how appreciative we were.

It was such a great trip (DH's grandmother is a little bruised, black eye, and sore but will be fine) and all of the amazing moments over the 8 days and the support received last night makes you remember what is really important in a family vacation - and it is not a river view blocked by trees!!

And a quick note on the buses - while we did notice larger crowds this year vs same week last year - we had 0 issues with buses. Most we waited was 15 mins or so. I say we got a seat almost every time except once maybe. There had been more chatter than usual on this leading up to our trip - but once again - I was surprised for the better!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter