Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Does anyone know if there is a mini golf course near POR or Downtown Disney that is fun?

The only mini golf courses on property are Fantasia Gardens (behind the Dolphin) and Winter Summerland, which is at the entrance to Blizzard Beach.

I was at POR from 2/19-2/24. In the past, I never had a problem with busing at POR. I would always get on at South Depot and take the bus around to the other stops. After reading how awful the busing at POR is, I now understand why. The order of bus pick up seems to have changed since my last visit. It is now more like CSR. The buses picked up at the West Depot first then proceed on, with the South Depot, main stop, being the last pick up location. Most often I boarded the bus at the North Depot. Seats were available. By the time the bus would arrive at the South Depot, a huge line of people, would be greeted with limited seating options. My tip is board a bus at any stop other than the South Depot.:thumbsup2

Would anybody have pictures of the rooms in building 85 magnolia terrace
And the garden view. We had stayed last year in alligator bayou and found it
To be dark. To loved resort as it was very peaceful. We decided to try something different in May.:thanks:

Would anybody have pictures of the rooms in building 85 magnolia terrace
And the garden view. We had stayed last year in alligator bayou and found it
To be dark. To loved resort as it was very peaceful. We decided to try something different in May.:thanks:
Look on page 1. There are pics of all the rooms, AB, Mansion, and Royal Room. The only difference now is the rooms no longer have bedspreads. Just the triple sheeting with a bed scarf at bottom of bed.

I have read a lot about POR. We are really excited for our stay in December. What that said. What can you tell me about POR that most people don't know till they stay there?

I was at POR from 2/19-2/24. In the past, I never had a problem with busing at POR. I would always get on at South Depot and take the bus around to the other stops. After reading how awful the busing at POR is, I now understand why. The order of bus pick up seems to have changed since my last visit. It is now more like CSR. The buses picked up at the West Depot first then proceed on, with the South Depot, main stop, being the last pick up location. Most often I boarded the bus at the North Depot. Seats were available. By the time the bus would arrive at the South Depot, a huge line of people, would be greeted with limited seating options. My tip is board a bus at any stop other than the South Depot.:thumbsup2

We were there from 2/19-2/25 and had the same frustration with the bus situation (minor complaint, if I think about it). Our room was closest to the East Depot, so that's where we usually boarded. We found that the buses that were strictly devoted to POR (and not a combination of both POR & POFQ) went directly to the South Depot, rather than making the loop, so depending on our plans that was either a blessing or a curse, lol! We also liked that the PHM race buses made the loop, rather than just dropping off at the South Depot. That was definitely helpful after running the races!

I have read a lot about POR. We are really excited for our stay in December. What that said. What can you tell me about POR that most people don't know till they stay there?

If you have a resort day planned and not going to the parks in the evening you must see a Yeehaw Bob show. Hands down a wonderful time! He normally has two sets one around 8(?) and a later around 10(?) Kids are welcomed (most children clear out by the 2nd set) and its all fun! They have carriage rides at an additional cost but can be very romantic in december.

Just returned on Monday from 8 days & 7 nights at POR. This was our first stay at POR -- we have always stayed at POFQ in the past.

Disney was super helpful in rescheduling our trip for us due to weather-related flight cancellations. I mistakenly assumed that because we were a family of 5 (though 2 of those 5 are under 3) that we'd be put in an Alligator Bayou room instead of a mansion. But nope, we found ourselves in Acadian House. We tried to get switched to the AB section but we needed adjoining rooms with my parents and we were checking in early and they weren't able to accommodate all those things for us at that time. So we took our room and went along for the ride. I preferred the theming of the mansions anyways, however it wasn't an ideal sleeping arrangement with one of our kids having to room with my parents every night. We were offered pack & plays for our toddlers but it's been a good year since they were able to fit in those.

Bus service was absolutely great with only one exception, which I think was some kind of miscommunication somewhere up the line one morning. We used the north depot and most mornings there was a CM there using an app on his tablet to tell us when the bus would be arriving. Our Epcot morning, the bus took absolutely forever to arrive and the CM didn't even have an Epcot bus listed on his app. Something must have happened because after 20 minutes (there were some families that had been waiting for 10-15 minutes when we got there), 4 Epcot buses came right in a row, lol.

The resort wasn't as large and overwhelming as I imagined it would be. The walk from our room in building 80 to the pool and the food court wasn't bad at all. Having previously stayed at POFQ, we've visited the POR food court before so we knew what to expect in terms of meals. I don't think anyone was really disappointed in any of the meals. The CMs in the food court were hit or miss. We had plenty of completely adequate, helpful ones but we also had a handful of totally amazing CMs and another handful of some pretty nasty, grumpy ones as well. The food court was absolutely PACKED during breakfast and dinner. Having to stand in line for 30-40 minutes to get my breakfast (since I had to go through 3 different lines to get everyone's requested meals) is not my idea of a fun way to start my morning!!

We had a similar CM experience at the concierge counter. Pretty hit & miss. We stopped by maybe half a dozen times and we got either absolutely AWESOME CMs that went out of their way to be helpful and make our trip magical or CMs that were rude to us and either not helpful at all or gave us completely incorrect information.

Over all, I think we'll be going back to POFQ next time. Nothing was really wrong with POR at all -- we just prefer the POR theming and the size of it a little bit better. We've never had meals that crowded over there and the bar is never terribly busy. We prefer the pool slide at POFQ better for younger kids, though by the next time we can afford to come down my little "babies" will be much older and not scared of the slide at all!

I've just updated the FAQ in the first post as I needed to restore some formatting that the recent DISboards upgrade had broken (they said it could not be fixed by their board-wide batch task, so I manually edited it). I've also slightly tweaked some of the contents to make sure it's up to date. If someone could give it a quick read over and check everything is now OK with both the formatting/punctuation and also the information (did I miss out anything vital?) that'd be a great help. Thanks!

Andre

I was just looking at room prices on the WDW website, and they listed Royal Room river view price as slightly less than regular river view. Why would that be?

I've just updated the FAQ in the first post as I needed to restore some formatting that the recent DISboards upgrade had broken (they said it could not be fixed by their board-wide batch task, so I manually edited it). I've also slightly tweaked some of the contents to make sure it's up to date. If someone could give it a quick read over and check everything is now OK with both the formatting/punctuation and also the information (did I miss out anything vital?) that'd be a great help. Thanks!

Andre

It looks good to me as far as formatting goes. I am not familiar with as much as you but it looked good when I read it.

Andre

Looks good! Great job as usual Andre!

Are there any inclement weather activities at either POR or POFQ? We'll (me, DH, DD 8 & 5, DS 1) be at the POR for our pre-cruise stay next week and it looks like rain (hopefully that changes between now and then).

I was just looking at room prices on the WDW website, and they listed Royal Room river view price as slightly less than regular river view. Why would that be?

What dates were you looking at, as that's quite unusual (unless there are any offers that are only available for certain rooms types anyway). The price differentials this year are nowhere near as consistently large as they used to be though, and there are some seasonal rates where the River View and RGR River View rates are very close ('Regular' period and Memorial Day are both oddities where RGR River View is actually a dollar or two cheaper per night than normal River View).

Here are the two seasonal graphs in case that helps with your planning, and the full rack-rate lists are available at www.portorleans.org/roomrates.php:

POR-RackRates-2015.png

POR-RGR-RackRates-2015.png

Andre

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter