• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

From my research it seems like POFQ is the most convenient of the moderates as far as disney bussing goes because of its one bus stop. Does it often have to share busses with POR because of a shortage of busses? We are mid day rest people (my son has neuro disabilities and OCD so taking breaks from the hustle and bustle is important) so how feasible is it to go back to the resort for a little R &R mid day then go back to the park in the evening for shows and dinner ADR's? Is it too much trouble to be worth it? would I do better to just call it a day when my son hits the "disney wall" and have dinner at the food court or at the boathouse?

It's a tough call - you can certainly do it, but keep in mind that it will be at least 30 minutes to an hour to go from POFQ to MK, maybe less for Epcot and DHS. It's not just walking across the street. This may be the biggest thing to get used to - distances are not the same compared to DLR and you have to plan accordingly. According to this Wikipedia article WDW is twice the size of Manhattan.

I hear this a lot of the Disneyland side of the boards so I'll try to do what I suggest for all the WDW vets that are headed to DLR-be open and appreciative of the new experience. If you wanted the same thing stay at your home park but if you go to the other Disney be excited to experience something new and love it for its uniqueness.

The one thing that I will struggle with though is feeling like a lost puppy. I could maneuver DLR-both parks-in my sleep but I have a feeling i'm going to be one of those people with a map plastered to my face who stops short with a stroller right behind me and I'll have no one to blame but myself when I get run over by it. I'll be one of those noob's that stop the floow of the walking traffic.

I have stayed on property at DLR but we often stay across the street at a non disney owned place because it is actual closer to the park entrance and we are AP holder at DLR so we are always trying to save so we can afford to go more often. So I am excited to experience this Disney bubble I hear so much about!

From my research it seems like POFQ is the most convenient of the moderates as far as disney bussing goes because of its one bus stop. Does it often have to share busses with POR because of a shortage of busses? We are mid day rest people (my son has neuro disabilities and OCD so taking breaks from the hustle and bustle is important) so how feasible is it to go back to the resort for a little R &R mid day then go back to the park in the evening for shows and dinner ADR's? Is it too much trouble to be worth it? would I do better to just call it a day when my son hits the "disney wall" and have dinner at the food court or at the boathouse?
We did DL last summer. One thing I made a point to do when we went was to avoid comparing DL to WDW when at all possible. I feel it does a disservice to both locations when you do that. I made a point to go to DL and treat that as a totally different place than WDW, because to me, it is. I didn't want preconceived ideas coloring my view of either location.

As for breaks, we almost always take mid-day breaks. Sure it takes an hour to get there and an hour to get back, roughly. But we just make that part of our downtime. We can still get in 2 or 3 hours break time, to swim or just rest. Sometimes, we'll even plan to Uber/Lyft back to the park, to increase our break time.

We just got back on Sunday after a nice week at POR. While it's a beautiful resort, we stayed in preferred building 14, and I enjoy the quiet pool so much, it's just not our cup of tea. I debated doing another FD Bounceback but didn't want to go this time of the year again for awhile, it's the fourth September in a row for us and I'm tired of Halloween decorations and heat and humidity. And I didn't want to stay at POR again, so this afternoon I booked POFQ for November 2017. Discount, no discount, FD, no FD, I don't care, I just want to be at POFQ! So YAY! :yay: Just can't stand not having a trip in the works. :love:

We do not typically take afternoon breaks but on our last trip the kids really needed them. We came back to POFQ for a break almost every day and it worked out fine. We travelled off peak and found that POFQ rarely shared buses with POR. When there were shared buses it did get quite crowded. For some reason, it always seemed to happen later in the night.

This is a weird question but does anyone know what the scent in the lobby is? I took a deep breath every time I walked through because I loved it so much. It was such a familiar smell but I cannot think of what it reminds me of!

Well, after much consideration, we decided to stick with PORFQ instead of switching to POP. Yay! The pros outweigh the con of the food court.

Some questions:

1. Do they have the Gold Peak tea dispensers in the temporary food court?

2. Are there any special activities planned around the POR resorts for Thanksgiving?

3. Will there be a traditional Thanksgiving meal on the menus?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

1. Do they have the Gold Peak tea dispensers in the temporary food court?
2. Are there any special activities planned around the POR resorts for Thanksgiving?
3. Will there be a traditional Thanksgiving meal on the menus?

They don't have iced tea at the temporary food court (or at least they didn't in August).

They normally offer some Thanksgiving activities, but details won't be known until the monthly schedules are released (normally right at the end of the previous month). See the archived schedules at www.portorleans.org/recreation-schedules.php for an idea of what they've done in the past. Sometimes Boatwright's at Riverside offers special Thanksgiving options, but again it's not something they announce very far in advance.

Andre

They don't have iced tea at the temporary food court (or at least they didn't in August).

They normally offer some Thanksgiving activities, but details won't be known until the monthly schedules are released (normally right at the end of the previous month). See the archived schedules at www.portorleans.org/recreation-schedules.php for an idea of what they've done in the past. Sometimes Boatwright's at Riverside offers special Thanksgiving options, but again it's not something they announce very far in advance.

Andre

Thanks for the info and the link!

We're all the rooms updated to have only curtains separating the bedroom from the sink area? I was looking through my BiL pictures from their trip in 2012 and there was a sliding door to separate the areas in their room.

We just got back last week from a 5 night stay at POFQ. I didn't think take any pictures but the main food court looks far from being done when you could peek in there. I didn't realize the stent of the remodel they were doing.

I actually enjoyed the temporary food court. I couldn't remember if the menu was the same or not but it had plenty of options for my family. I actually preferred it over the original (minus the theming). It went very smoothly ordering, finding a table, and then your food delivered to you. We never had an issue finding a table. They had 3 drinking stations instead of the 2 I remember reading before. The longest I waited for refills was less than 2 minutes. The only negative to the food court was the size and lack of theming for me, other than that I loved it!

The only disruption we had was halfway through our trip was they started tearing up the sidewalks around our room in building 4. Our rooms faced and were closest to parking lot. It was annoying to have to walk around it, but it was not horrid. The noise from it effected us minimally on our park day when we came back for naps, but the kids slept through it with no issues. Just wanted to share in case someone else is visiting soon.

We only shared buses midday with POR. In the mornings and evenings we always seemed to have our own buses. The new transportation wait time screens were nice to have too. Not perfect, but gave you a general idea of when to expect next bus.

We're all the rooms updated to have only curtains separating the bedroom from the sink area? I was looking through my BiL pictures from their trip in 2012 and there was a sliding door to separate the areas in their room.

All of the rooms have always featured curtains separating the bed area and the sinks/vanity area. The only exceptions would be Wheelchair Accessible rooms, which have a single large room for the bath (or roll-in shower), hand basin and toilet, and they have a hard door between the two sections.

Andre

Has anyone seen cases of bottled water at the gift shop? And if so, what brand, how many, and for what price? Any info appreciated!

Coronado Springs has sliding doors between the bathroom and bedroom areas. Honestly, I thought the noise and privacy was going to be an issue, but it really wasn't for us.

Are the Freestyle machines using the chips or just an honor system? I'm switching to Coronado Springs my last night and I want to make sure my mug works there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter