Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

Newbie for POFQ here also, did some skimming through thread but think it will be easier to ask questions n one post. We are planning May 14-22, 2016 with two adults and two kids DD age 12 and DS age 7. Here goes:

1. For our time frame it looks like preferred location is not available. We want to be as close as possible to transportation and main area but wondering with the size of the resort if preferred is even necessary. As long as we are not looking at a parking I'll be happy and would rather not view the pool. What would be best to book (or request) for a quiet view/area and not having to worry about being far away? Garden? River?

2. Will all the construction be over by May? If not what area should we avoid?

3. Are all the rooms themed the same? How about the buildings?

4. We will have a car. We prefer not to drive ourselves but tell me about Disney transportation. How does it compare to the value resorts? When would you recommend driving or not?

5. What gluten-free food options are there?, DW is G-free.

6. Should we stay at POFQ over PORS?

Why is it that the POR resorts take fax request seriously and the other resorts don't?

Hi guys! I'm a newbie to this thread. I'm debating between FQ and POR, but we're leaning towards FQ because of compact size and the alligators (dd is 4 and loves the photos).
The only drawback is that it seems that POR is the one that gets discounts, while FQ does not? Are there any ways to get any type of discount there? Thanks!
Orbitz and a certain TA

Newbie for POFQ here also, did some skimming through thread but think it will be easier to ask questions n one post. We are planning May 14-22, 2016 with two adults and two kids DD age 12 and DS age 7. Here goes:

1. For our time frame it looks like preferred location is not available. We want to be as close as possible to transportation and main area but wondering with the size of the resort if preferred is even necessary. As long as we are not looking at a parking I'll be happy and would rather not view the pool. What would be best to book (or request) for a quiet view/area and not having to worry about being far away? Garden? River?

4. We will have a car. We prefer not to drive ourselves but tell me about Disney transportation. How does it compare to the value resorts? When would you recommend driving or not?

1. POFQ doesn't have preferred rooms - just request what you want, although quiet and near transportation/main building are kind of contradictory.

3. All rooms are themed the same as are all the buildings.

1. POFQ doesn't have preferred rooms - just request what you want, although quiet and near transportation/main building are kind of contradictory.

3. All rooms are themed the same as are all the buildings.

How loud are the buildings close to main bldg/transportation? We have a 4 year old who will likely need naps, but also would prefer not to have to walk too far. Should I just make sure not to face the pool?

How loud are the buildings close to main bldg/transportation? We have a 4 year old who will likely need naps, but also would prefer not to have to walk too far. Should I just make sure not to face the pool?

Well, I don't know about "loud", but being near the main building or the pool, you're definitely going to see more people. POFQ is such a compact resort that really any room isn't going to be too far of a walk (I've only stayed there twice, once in building 6 and once in building 7, and neither was a far walk at all.) I can definitely see it being a bit noisier in a room facing the pool, but as long as you don't book pool view, that shouldn't be a problem. (Well, the first floor rooms in buildings 2 and 5 that face the pool aren't considered pool view (they're considered garden), so it might not hurt to make a request to not be near the pool if you book garden.)

We've stayed at POR once and POFQ 3 times so I can try to help answer some questions. We've stayed in buildings 3,4 and 1. Buildings 3 and 4 are very close to the main building. We actually do nap each day and we had no issues with noise at this resort. The outdoor movie does play in the courtyard nightly over by building 4, 5 and 6. That was loud (but it was Fall and early enough it didn't matter)-movies are shown later if it stays light later.

All the rooms are the same and the exterior are all very similar.

We are a gluten free family. We had EXCELLENT service at both POR and POFQ! French Quarter can make any sandwich or burger gluten free. They also have gluten free chicken tenders and fries, Mickey waffles, pancakes. And the best.....gluten free beneight's any time of day.

If you are concerned about being very close to transportation and food court, I would stay at POFQ. I believe the construction at POFQ is for the kiddie pool area. I would think it should be done by May. It looks amazing!

We used ONLY Disney transportation. We have no complaints.

I'm debating between FQ and POR, but we're leaning towards FQ because of compact size and the alligators (dd is 4 and loves the photos).

I just wanted to say :thumbsup2 to your DD4. I am a middle aged lady and I love those Gators! Even if you decide to stay at POR, you can still visit POFQ with her and take some photos with them. I understand the discount concern, but I have to say, the compact size of POFQ is a real plus for me.

As siskaren said, there are no preferred rooms at POFQ, and I agree with the advice that, when you make your reservation, just tell them what you're looking for (quiet/transportation).

I would book Garden View (I always do). "Standard View" is the category that faces the parking, and "River View" rooms are on the side of the resort farthest from the main bldg (although a river view in bldg 2 or 5 may be closer than a garden view in 7 - ???). I've been in bldgs 5 and 2 and have not had noise issues EXCEPT for one evening in 2015: there was a HS band group staying at POFQ (only time I've seen a "tour group" there) and they were having a pool party I could hear from my room in bldg 2. When I was in bldg 5, I could sometimes softly hear loud noises (explosions in "The Incredibles") from the evening movie on the lawn my room was facing, but it wasn't disturbing.

Look at the maps on portorleans.org and the beginning of this thread to get an idea of the layout. Parts of 4 and 5 are closest to the bus stop, but I would think the side of 6 facing the 4-7 area would still be good (and farther from the pool). I think some people advise the top floor and/or non-connecting rooms to reduce the chance of noise, but I think a lot of it is luck of the draw with your neighbors. FWIW, to vouch for the compactness, I'm not making any requests for this year's trip and will be happy with wherever they put me. Just IMO.

Is anyone who's there now able to send some pics of the construction progress on the children's water play area? It should be just about ready to open I think, but news has been very quiet on that front. If it's easier, I've got a Dropbox link that lets you send photos from your phone or whatever (https://www.dropbox.com/request/p2r7CU2bYsNnnIazAeAM).

Andre
Getting ready to leave tomorrow AM (So Sad). I have no pics but the entire area is still walled off with all types of safety/work fencing. As I glance through it, it seems like it is still a few weeks from being complete. Some area of the floor are not concreted in yet, or installed yet. Most of the big water features/fixtures seem finished, but I'd say they still have some time left on this.

Sorry for the double post, but I want to say that we are finishing our first-ever stay at POFQ tonight. So sad to leave tomorrow but I have a few thoughts.

1. My family loved this resort. Walking through the streets is so quaint, and at night the night the street lighting is awesome. The golden colored bulbs make the streets look like they are being lit by gas or candles rather than bulbs.
2. I thought I wanted building six, but the river-view room in BLDG 2 has been amazing. We are on the third floor, and look down right on the ferry dock. So much fun to stand on the balcony and watch the people and boats below.
3. Rooms are very nice, and while I can tell they are not freshly refurbed, they are certainly very clean and nicely taken care of. We have had great mousekeeping, and a few towel animals for the kids during the first few days of our stay.
4. Sassagoula, while not extremely extravagant or fancy, provided everything our family needed and we found that we ate here more than we expected. It is just so convenient in this small resort. It is a perfect place to stop on the way out or back from a park.
5. We extended our stay due to the Mid-Atlantic blizzard and therefore needed the laundry. I found the facilities to be very clean and great for a quick two loads of clothes.
6. The bus service was very convenient. A few times it felt like we waited a while for the bus we needed, but there is no way of knowing whether thye may have just left right before we got here. Anyway, if you are in a hurry at Disney, you are doing it wrong.
7. Leaving Disney in your rear-view mirror stinks, no matter how much fun you had while you were here. :(

But, at least we were lucky enough to have the opportunity to have this great time together.

I have no pics but the entire area is still walled off with all types of safety/work fencing. As I glance through it, it seems like it is still a few weeks from being complete. Some area of the floor are not concreted in yet, or installed yet. Most of the big water features/fixtures seem finished, but I'd say they still have some time left on this.

Sorry, I totally forgot to post back here with the latest pics. Too much social media to update and not enough me, sorry!

Virtually nothing seems to have happened during the first few weeks in January, so they must have hit a hitch of some sort. This is how it looked on 27 December:

PO.org-Guest-Resort-20151227_165644_forum.jpg

And then 16 January:

PO.org-Guest-RiverRooster-20160116-022_large.jpg

And this is how things looked yesterday. It doesn't take genius to figure out that it won't be open by 19th January ;) or indeed any time in January to be honest:

PO.org-Guest-RiverRooster-20160123-101218_forum.jpg

PO.org-Guest-RiverRooster-20160123-101223_forum.jpg

PO.org-Guest-RiverRooster-20160123-101226_forum.jpg

I do hope there are more thematic elements still to be added though, because although what has been installed so far looks fine, it is all pretty much off-the-shelf equipment that wouldn't look out of place in Wet'n'Wild. Anyway, it's certainly nowhere near finished yet so there's still plenty of time to add some whimsical musical alligators with umbrellas.

Andre

Last edited:
Hi guys! I'm a newbie to this thread. I'm debating between FQ and POR, but we're leaning towards FQ because of compact size and the alligators (dd is 4 and loves the photos).
The only drawback is that it seems that POR is the one that gets discounts, while FQ does not? Are there any ways to get any type of discount there? Thanks!

We got the discount that Disney offered for travel during our period. I had heard it wasn't offered and we were planning to move up to deluxe. When they came out, not as good as in the past, and the price point was not in our budget. So just double- checked the reservation we already had at FQ and saw the discount was available, so nabbed it. Glad we did - I really liked this resort!

I did not know they had a preferred at FQ, it is so compact you are not really far away. We had Garden View and had an OK view, our friends looked over the courtyard that showed movies every night. Next time I would probably choose river because it would be facing the back of the resort.

Only construction I saw was on the child's pool. Notbsurevifvtherevis any starting up since we got back.

Rooms and buildings seem the same. We saw one and then requested to be moved to another, they both seemed the same.

We had a car for part of our time there, but the buses were very good and reliable at this resort and when they picked up from parks. Never had a terribly long wait, but one time midday we did share the bus route with RS. We were picked up first, but the time going all the way around RS took a ridiculously long amount of time, and I ended up calling Dusney Dining to change ourvADR since we were going to be late.

Don't know about gluten free options - you might check with the dining forum. However, Disney overall has gotten better with that.

I prefer FQ, and all that I have mentioned was for FQ, never had a reason to go to RS, except one day when the bus shared the route. RS seemed so big, and the trek to the bus so far...FQ was small and compact and had a friendlier cozier feel to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter