Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night, we decided to change up our two week vacation a bit and are now doing a split stay. We'll have six nights at Pop Century and eight nights at Caribbean Beach. This is the first time that we've ever stayed in a value resort and I'm a bit nervous. My husband has epilepsy and needs a nice quiet place to sit and relax at the end of the day. I am able to do online check-in but am unsure what to request. Any suggestions?

I would suggest requesting a lake view room (standard category) on the top floor. As a PP suggested, the 70's section would be a good choice since they have no pool and it's generally nice and quiet over there. :thumbsup2

I may be wrong, but weren't those posts regarding the removal of the carpet in the food court area?

There was definitely a discussion about a guest room having hardwood/laminate flooring rather than carpeting. Unfortunately, we never saw pictures, though. I think we all just thought it was a special room for those with severe allergies. But maybe it was a test site for the new rooms. :confused3

I would suggest requesting a lake view room (standard category) on the top floor. As a PP suggested, the 70's section would be a good choice since they have no pool and it's generally nice and quiet over there. :thumbsup2

My husband and I like quiet and we had a wonderful corner first floor lakeview room in the 50's section. The lake is beautiful and we enjoyed walking along the path that goes around it, and across the bridge to AofA. There is also a good view of the nightly fireworks at DHS.

Okay , I am less than 2 weeks out and still fussing over the bus boards at Pop. Are there any recent guests who can tell me if they are fully functional now? I saw the pictures of the skeleton of the signs being installed a few weeks back , but still no word on whether they are operational . And if they are not , what's the hold up ?

Saw this on Orbitz.com. Not sure any of these rooms are actually created but 'pictures' do show new furniture.

https://www.orbitz.com/Orlando-Hotels-Disneys-All-Star-Sports-Resort.h22712.Hotel-Information

It will be interesting to see if they put similar furniture at Pop.

We were talking about the Orbitz photos over on the All-Star Sports thread. Orbitz is are showing Disney's official photos of the accessible room setup at Sports where apparently some of the furniture used is different, but Orbitz is labeled the photos as "standard rooms" at Sports.

How many of you stay at POP but will sometimes use the AoA buses going to/from the parks?

We have done the opposite -- stay at AoA but sometimes use the Pop buses. It's nice to have that option when leaving the parks. If the Pop bus line is significantly shorter than the AoA line, we just hop on the Pop bus and walk back to AoA. I don't know that it really saves any time, but sometimes you just want to get on that air-conditioned bus and sit for awhile -- even if it means a long walk back to the room when you get off the bus. :)

How many of you stay at POP but will sometimes use the AoA buses going to/from the parks?
I do this frequently. The bus stops are almost always next to each other so it is easy to do. I also just love to do it so I can stroll through AOA at night and enjoy the lighting on the characters. My favorite area is Cars.

Okay , I am less than 2 weeks out and still fussing over the bus boards at Pop. Are there any recent guests who can tell me if they are fully functional now? I saw the pictures of the skeleton of the signs being installed a few weeks back , but still no word on whether they are operational . And if they are not , what's the hold up ?
I would not be heavily dependent on the accuracy of the bus boards. I just checked out of All Star Movies today. Yesterday afternoon I went to catch a bus to Epcot. When I got to the bus stop for Epcot the board said the bus should arrive around 4:33. There were about five people already waiting for the bus. It was 4:15, so I decided to run into the food court to refill my mug. I came back out at 4:19 and the bus had already come and gone! I checked the board and it showed a new time of 4:37; so I thought, "no big deal....just a few more minutes." Well, over the course of the next 40 minutes I saw the time continue to change on the board multiple times. Finally another bus showed up at 5:00. My point being....the times on the boards are not set in stone. I will ignore the boards from now on.

Last night, we decided to change up our two week vacation a bit and are now doing a split stay. We'll have six nights at Pop Century and eight nights at Caribbean Beach. This is the first time that we've ever stayed in a value resort and I'm a bit nervous. My husband has epilepsy and needs a nice quiet place to sit and relax at the end of the day. I am able to do online check-in but am unsure what to request. Any suggestions?
Hi Lisa! Another vote for lake view if you want quiet and hopefully you won't get noisy neighbors.

I do this frequently. The bus stops are almost always next to each other so it is easy to do. I also just love to do it so I can stroll through AOA at night and enjoy the lighting on the characters. My favorite area is Cars.

I agree...it's definitely worth taking a bus back to AoA one night just to see the Cars section. It's my favorite area at night. And you can grab a drink or snack for the walk at the food court or the pool bar.

Hello fellow POPer's! I was looking at the Pop activities calendar and there is a Mickey Tie-Dye activity listed. Can anyone give me more info as to what this activity entails? How much is it? Is it something the kids get to keep? Thanks!

I would not be heavily dependent on the accuracy of the bus boards. I just checked out of All Star Movies today. Yesterday afternoon I went to catch a bus to Epcot. When I got to the bus stop for Epcot the board said the bus should arrive around 4:33. There were about five people already waiting for the bus. It was 4:15, so I decided to run into the food court to refill my mug. I came back out at 4:19 and the bus had already come and gone! I checked the board and it showed a new time of 4:37; so I thought, "no big deal....just a few more minutes." Well, over the course of the next 40 minutes I saw the time continue to change on the board multiple times. Finally another bus showed up at 5:00. My point being....the times on the boards are not set in stone. I will ignore the boards from now on.
Thanks for sharing your experience . I was wondering how accurate those boards would be . I was kinda hoping to ease that crazy waiting game, when it seems like a bus for every park except the one you want to go to shows up and the frustration starts building up.

Now honestly, we have never stayed at Pop before or at any resort that had dedicated bus stop stations . So maybe the need to know the actual times is not necessary . We normally stay at Coronado Springs and we have waited for over 25 minutes for a MK bus while watching 2 or 3 Epcot buses come and go . That is frustrating !

Thank you again for your response . I hope we have better luck !

I just got back from Pop yesterday, the bus boards are not functioning, they are up with a screen & everything, just not turned on.

I enjoyed the bus service at Pop, they ran fast, during high traffic times they run back to back. The only negative is the bus stops can be a distance when leaving the parks, especially Magic Kingdom & Epcot.

The theming of the resort is nice, my kids enjoyed the pool side activities. We had a pool view room facing hippity dippity main pool, it was loud and people hang out pretty late making a lot of noise, but my kids slept through it. Housekeeping was horrible, I felt as though I was sleeping in a cheap motel off a highway somewhere. I did call and complain to front desk about the housekeeping. Also, they need to redo the rooms and update things. Some towels are pretty dingy & worn, which is a turn off for me.

Now I saw something in the food court that really grossed me out and I feel as though I should contact someone to bring this issue to attention, or maybe just forget it. A worker in the food court who was handling packaged food, not sure if he prepares food but he clearly had a horrible fungus nail infection on his thumb, like he really needs medical attn ASAP, he was from Haiti, I didn't get his name. I noticed it when he attempted to give me a half gallon of milk, It looked so horrible that I just told him that wasn't the milk I needed. Nail fungus is contagious and imo he shouldn't be touching anything food related, clearly his infection has gone on a very long time, not sure if more than his thumb was infected but I feel awful for him.

I can't say I hated my stay, but I didn't enjoy it either. Not sure if I'd be returning here, I can't get over the nasty room. If they did renovations and addressed the housekeeping issue, I'd return.

Does anyone know if the food court has bananas and if so how much do they cost? Trying to decide if I should figure out a way to bring a few with me or just buy in the food court. Only 6 more days and I will be checking in. I can't wait.

Yes they do sell whole fruits like bananas, and apples. They run $1.69 each. Pretty cheap since they charge $2.59 for those small bags of grapes that come with the kids meals.

Staying at Pop again starting April 13th. Last stay was 3 1/2 years ago. What's changed recently? I think I saw where they fenced the hippy dippy pool? What about the other pools? Thoughts on the food court? I had always thought it was really good...any recent changes or things you don't like? The mugs are different since my last stay...does anyone have any issues with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter