Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH and I have stayed at POP many times. Here is the situation, I have a RO for one night prior to FD. That room is a standard pool view. The FD room is standard. I will call to link the reservations. Looking at the online requests, is there anything I can choose that would minimize the chance of us having to switch rooms? I would be fine with a standard room for my RO reservation, as it is cheaper than the standard rack rate during FD.

DH and I have stayed at POP many times. Here is the situation, I have a RO for one night prior to FD. That room is a standard pool view. The FD room is standard. I will call to link the reservations. Looking at the online requests, is there anything I can choose that would minimize the chance of us having to switch rooms? I would be fine with a standard room for my RO reservation, as it is cheaper than the standard rack rate during FD.

When you call have it noted on your reservation.

Be ready to fall in love! :cloud9: Congrats on getting your ressie! Happy that there were still some Free dining rooms left!
We booked our free dining yesterday morning! November 18th-25th for us! WOO HOO!! :jumping1:
This will be our 9th stay at POP. Once they opened, we have never stayed anywhere else!

Thanks, and congratulations to you and others for their FD successes as well! Hearing about how much you and others love POP makes us all even more excited to stay there!

It sounds like that most of the rooms are fairly close to the main building. We are booked standard, but are hoping that we don't end up too far away from Classic Hall as my mom has some mobility issues. The only area that I have been concerned about was the 80's/90's so I'm glad to hear that there is a shortcut through the parking lot. We have 4 rooms booked and really want to be somewhat close to each other and are hoping for one set of connecting rooms. Being near each other is definitely our top priority. I have heard on another thread that your chances of being near each other are greater if you all check in together. Does anyone have an opinion/insight on this at POP? Most of us wil be flying together probably arriving at the airport around 5 PM (waiting to book tickets on SWA), but my brother's family lives in Florida so they may arrive earlier than the rest of us.

I was also wondering if anyone has used the fax service from Touring Plans to request rooms. I heard it mentioned on a podcast and wondered how it worked.

Does Pop have bed rails? My DD will be two when we go and I would feel better if we had some.

Thanks, and congratulations to you and others for their FD successes as well! Hearing about how much you and others love POP makes us all even more excited to stay there!

It sounds like that most of the rooms are fairly close to the main building. We are booked standard, but are hoping that we don't end up too far away from Classic Hall as my mom has some mobility issues. The only area that I have been concerned about was the 80's/90's so I'm glad to hear that there is a shortcut through the parking lot. We have 4 rooms booked and really want to be somewhat close to each other and are hoping for one set of connecting rooms. Being near each other is definitely our top priority. I have heard on another thread that your chances of being near each other are greater if you all check in together. Does anyone have an opinion/insight on this at POP? Most of us wil be flying together probably arriving at the airport around 5 PM (waiting to book tickets on SWA), but my brother's family lives in Florida so they may arrive earlier than the rest of us.

I was also wondering if anyone has used the fax service from Touring Plans to request rooms. I heard it mentioned on a podcast and wondered how it worked.

I would call Disney let them know that you are all traveling together and that your mother has mobility issues. You can put in a request at that time. If you do online check in you can put the same request. Just do not ask that your room be ready at checkin. That request is honored before room location.

I have loved all areas except 80s and 90s. Those were not bad I just love walking through the resort rather than parking lots.

Does Pop have bed rails? My DD will be two when we go and I would feel better if we had some.
Yes, you can request bed rails. I used them several times for our kids when we stayed at Pop. If your DD is the only one sleeping in the bed, definitely request two rails so you can have them on both sides of the bed. I usually just asked for them when we checked in at the front desk or called Mousekeeping when we got to our room. They always delivered them quickly.

Just booked a stay at POP for Oct 19th-23rd. Can't wait to go to the Food & Wine Festival. This will be our first time at POP. We've stayed at POR & POFQ before.

Just booked a stay at POP for Oct 19th-23rd. Can't wait to go to the Food & Wine Festival. This will be our first time at POP. We've stayed at POR & POFQ before.
You'll have a great time. My first Dis resort was POR & and I loved it but over the past few years, I have stayed at POP many times and found it to be great for my needs. Since I am at the parks (and Food & Wine!) every day, I just want a clean, safe place to sleep & get cleaned up in the morning. POP works well for me and I no longer see the need to pay a higher premium for a moderate resort when I never really take advantage of the amenities onsite. Don't forget to try the King Cupcake (named after Elvis, with candied bacon, banana & peanut butter) and the POP signature tie-died cheesecake. You can find both in the cafeteria in the bakery section near the ice cream. Also check out the time capsule dioramas on the wall opposite check-in. I particularly enjoy the 80s one with snapshots of the tv shows & toys that I loved at the time. Enjoy!

SOOOO excited to head back to Disney & stay at Pop! Okay, DD wants to stay there. Ever since she heard they had tie dye cheesecake she has wanted to stay there! We did BWI last trip (March 2015) since our friends were also staying there, but for this trip with free QS dining and tickets it's costing way less than the room alone (with 30% discount plus extra 15% off through Orbitz) did for that trip! Even with spending money, we'll be probably under $2,000 total!

I've never stayed value, but am pretty sure I know what to expect (double beds, no balcony - not that we use it much some trips!). Already got my travel coffee maker ready (I have my routine, wake early, make coffee, enjoy it in my pj's then shower & get dressed for the day - so no way I'm drinking cold or iced coffee or walking to the food court for it). It's a Black & Decker single cup one - I bought it for a trip 11 years go to Hawaii since we were staying at the Hale Koa & they didn't have makers in the rooms, and with the time change I knew I wouldn't want to wait for the coffee cart to open at 5:30am. Hadn't used it since then, but tried it out this week & it's great! Best $15 you can spend if you're like me and HAVE to have coffee! Matter of fact, I looked into changing to the CSR Business Club level but it was about $1,000 more for this trip, and decided no go. I really like that Pop has a table & chairs rather than a desk - way more useful! CSR (like BWI) has a desk. Not cool.

I'm planning on just bringing some extra dry cleaning hangers for the closet - I figure they're skinny so I can hang most of our clothes. The "closet" area doesn't look too large, so want to maximize space. Does a pretty big suitcase fit up above? We also may bring our over the door shoe holder & I have a small folding laundry hamper (that I finally found AFTER our last trip when I brought a larger one - LOL). It was hidden in my mess of a closet.

We get refill mugs with our package - do we pick them up at the food court? If I leave DD in the room, can I get them both?

Pop experts: DD and I are kind of sausage gravy freaks. Like, if a menu has biscuits & gravy - we're sold. I see they have a chicken fried chicken with gravy and eggs (oh my god I wouldn't eat the rest of the day). I wonder if you can get a biscuit & gravy at the food court? She will love me forever if I run over & get that for us a few times (side note: she has EDS and last trip started needing a wheelchair for longer walks, so we're bringing one this trip, so I'll get breakfast for us every day probably). Is it a pain to carry a tray back to the room? Is it frowned upon? Do I even care? Nah!

Any other advice is so appreciated! I would leave tomorrow if I could! We had so much fun last trip, but were with friends every day at least for some of the day (which is fun, but we are looking forward to just doing what we want which is a whole lot of nothing with a few rides thrown in and lots of free quick service dining)!

SOOOO excited to head back to Disney & stay at Pop! Okay, DD wants to stay there. Ever since she heard they had tie dye cheesecake she has wanted to stay there! We did BWI last trip (March 2015) since our friends were also staying there, but for this trip with free QS dining and tickets it's costing way less than the room alone (with 30% discount plus extra 15% off through Orbitz) did for that trip! Even with spending money, we'll be probably under $2,000 total!

I've never stayed value, but am pretty sure I know what to expect (double beds, no balcony - not that we use it much some trips!). Already got my travel coffee maker ready (I have my routine, wake early, make coffee, enjoy it in my pj's then shower & get dressed for the day - so no way I'm drinking cold or iced coffee or walking to the food court for it). It's a Black & Decker single cup one - I bought it for a trip 11 years go to Hawaii since we were staying at the Hale Koa & they didn't have makers in the rooms, and with the time change I knew I wouldn't want to wait for the coffee cart to open at 5:30am. Hadn't used it since then, but tried it out this week & it's great! Best $15 you can spend if you're like me and HAVE to have coffee! Matter of fact, I looked into changing to the CSR Business Club level but it was about $1,000 more for this trip, and decided no go. I really like that Pop has a table & chairs rather than a desk - way more useful! CSR (like BWI) has a desk. Not cool.

I'm planning on just bringing some extra dry cleaning hangers for the closet - I figure they're skinny so I can hang most of our clothes. The "closet" area doesn't look too large, so want to maximize space. Does a pretty big suitcase fit up above? We also may bring our over the door shoe holder & I have a small folding laundry hamper (that I finally found AFTER our last trip when I brought a larger one - LOL). It was hidden in my mess of a closet.

We get refill mugs with our package - do we pick them up at the food court? If I leave DD in the room, can I get them both?

Pop experts: DD and I are kind of sausage gravy freaks. Like, if a menu has biscuits & gravy - we're sold. I see they have a chicken fried chicken with gravy and eggs (oh my god I wouldn't eat the rest of the day). I wonder if you can get a biscuit & gravy at the food court? She will love me forever if I run over & get that for us a few times (side note: she has EDS and last trip started needing a wheelchair for longer walks, so we're bringing one this trip, so I'll get breakfast for us every day probably). Is it a pain to carry a tray back to the room? Is it frowned upon? Do I even care? Nah!

Any other advice is so appreciated! I would leave tomorrow if I could! We had so much fun last trip, but were with friends every day at least for some of the day (which is fun, but we are looking forward to just doing what we want which is a whole lot of nothing with a few rides thrown in and lots of free quick service dining)!
I'm sure you'll enjoy POP! The rooms are significantly smaller than Deluxe so that will be something to be prepared for. Perhaps you could google POP room images online so that you have a better idea. The portable coffee maker idea is a good one. The closet area is small so yes extra inexpensive clothes hangers would be a good idea if you wish to hang up your clothes. I usually just leave mine in the suitcase. I'm not sure how tall the space above the clothes rod is re storing your suitcase up there. Again, you may wish to google pics of POP standard room. Re the refill mugs, I know that all dining credits are pooled in one party so one magic band can access them all. I'm not sure about the mugs so this would be a good thing to ask about at check-in. Possibly you can both go right to the cafeteria after check-in and get your mugs then? I have never had any sausage gravy food at the POP caf but maybe others have & can give feedback. Re the food court trays, I have definitely seen people take food out of the cafeteria in the morning on trays (whether they should or not) so I know it does happen regularly. Generally speaking, the cafeteria at Art of Animation over the bridge is considered better quality but it all depends on your family's tastes. You may also not wish to have the extra hike in the mornings to get food. I would recommend that you either go very early in the morning or late in the morning to get breakfast at the POP cafeteria as morning rush (eg 7:15 am through 8:30 am) can be crazy busy. Best wishes!

We have been going to WDW for some time now (since 2003) and when we first started our trips, we stayed at POP Century. Fast forward a couple years to when we received one of the PIN codes and we took the plunge and stayed at the Polynesian. We fell in love with the Poly so much that we spent the last few trips staying at the Poly using the various discounts available.

Sadly we haven't been able to return to WDW since May 2013 but are looking at returning for a visit in the next year and a half or so. As prices have increased over the years, we will not be able to stay at the Poly (even with a discount) so would be looking at returning to POP Century. Our last stay at POP was in October 2009 and we are worried we have been spoiled by our stays at the Poly. Can someone reassure me that POP Century is as good as we remember it?

Yes, you get your refillable mugs at the food court. You can use them for coffee too. And yes you can get your daughter's mug too. She doesn't have to be there. No problem bringing trays to your room. WE do that all the time. We stack our suitcases in the closet area, not sure if a large suitcase will have enough room on top of hanging clothes. But for two people, you should have plenty of room.

You will have a great trip! Enjoy!

We have been going to WDW for some time now (since 2003) and when we first started our trips, we stayed at POP Century. Fast forward a couple years to when we received one of the PIN codes and we took the plunge and stayed at the Polynesian. We fell in love with the Poly so much that we spent the last few trips staying at the Poly using the various discounts available.

Sadly we haven't been able to return to WDW since May 2013 but are looking at returning for a visit in the next year and a half or so. As prices have increased over the years, we will not be able to stay at the Poly (even with a discount) so would be looking at returning to POP Century. Our last stay at POP was in October 2009 and we are worried we have been spoiled by our stays at the Poly. Can someone reassure me that POP Century is as good as we remember it?
My first stay at POP was 2012 so a few years after your last stay. I really like it for what it is. No doubt it will be a very hard transition after the Poly. The rooms are much smaller. No coffee maker. There is no sit down restaurant on property. The menu has also changed dramatically in the POP cafeteria since you were there. No more Mom's Night Out entrees. And that's a shame. Recent emphasis has been on healthier entrees but many lack flavour. There has been a great deal of food change up at the POP & I don't believe they have found their groove. No yet. I suspect many POP guests walk over the bridge to Art of Animation for quick service meals. I have sworn off POP breakfasts as my last experience found me waiting in line for over 45 minutes for mediocre food. I now pack cereal for breakfast & buy milk and orange juice in the caf so I can enjoy a more peaceful, reasonable breakfast in my room. I find I spent most of my time in the parks & actually in the deluxe resort restaurants (or on their transportation systems) so I really view POP as a safe, clean place to sleep. I don't eat my meals at the POP cafeteria. I do enjoy a few of their desserts & will pick these up later in the evening when I return from the parks. I suppose your expectations will be based mostly upon how you spend your time at WDW. If you are early risers and rope drop people, and have other interests & events to go to, you will be fine. However, if you intend to spend a number of days at your home resort lounging by the pool, and you don't have young children who will take advantage of the great pool programs and activities, you may well have a difficult time after years at Poly. If it was me, I would choose to spend my days off at the Poly enjoying Trader Sams, walking on the beach and also do a tour of the moderate resorts to get a sense of which I enjoyed to check out for a following year. Last Fall, I spent an afternoon walking around CBR and CSR and really enjoyed seeing what they had to offer. I also bused to POR and POFQ and enjoyed the boat to Downtown Disney. But in the end, I just don't see the economy in spending more for a moderate when my touring style means that I'm never at the resort to enjoy the amenities. Wishing you the best.

The rooms are much smaller. No coffee maker. There is no sit down restaurant on property.
This I knew and we are OK with that

The menu has also changed dramatically in the POP cafeteria since you were there. No more Mom's Night Out entrees. And that's a shame. Recent emphasis has been on healthier entrees but many lack flavour. There has been a great deal of food change up at the POP & I don't believe they have found their groove.
That is one of the things we enjoyed at POP was their food court, so this is a little disappointing :(

I find I spent most of my time in the parks & actually in the deluxe resort restaurants (or on their transportation systems) so I really view POP as a safe, clean place to sleep. I don't eat my meals at the POP cafeteria. I do enjoy a few of their desserts & will pick these up later in the evening when I return from the parks.
This is what we did as well when we stayed at POP - we may have had a quick lunch or dinner in the food court during the day but didn't attempt breakfast :-)

However, if you intend to spend a number of days at your home resort lounging by the pool, and you don't have young children who will take advantage of the great pool programs and activities, you may well have a difficult time after years at Poly. If it was me, I would choose to spend my days off at the Poly enjoying Trader Sams, walking on the beach
Truthfully when we stayed at POP previously, we were rarely in the room, except to shower and sleep, so I think it will be fine for our trip - I'm just probably over thinking things :rolleyes2 ... and yes we thoroughly enjoyed visiting other resorts

I would definitely call and ask the CM for attached rooms for all 4 ressies (requests of course, no guarantee). Attached are close to each other, possibly next door. Connecting rooms are the ones with a door that opens between the 2. If you need a connecting room, you can request it but of course it's not guaranteed but worth a shot to ask for connecting rooms for the 2 that you need.
Buiding 2 in the 50's and buildings 7 and 8 in the 80's/90's section are the farthest standard rooms. You can always request "closest to Classic Hall" and this will allow the room assignor to know what you are looking for instead of requesting a specific century. Needing 4 rooms all close, I would make that and closest to Classic Hall my only 2 requests just to give the room assignor more area's to find those 4 rooms close together. The rooms are assigned 3-4 days prior to check in so I am not sure that checking in together is something that has an impact on "being close together".
I have always faxed a request BUT once they started allowing 2 requests at check in, it doesn't seem that they consider the faxed requests. Here is the request choices you will get for each ressie.
http://tpforum.s3.amazonaws.com/62741be3f6467462f6a95f313c0ac23960a14556d349.png
For instance.... Our first 6-7 stays at POP, there was no request options during check in, I would fax a request with a 2-3 of wishes and I would get 1, 2 or all 3 of my requests. The last 3-4 trips after they started offering the request options online, it seems that is what they look at.
EX: Our last 2 trips our request on our ressie and our fax, our request was top floor, tramp building 3, lakeview. When I did on line check in I chose my 2 most important choices for me :) Lakeview, 50's section. That is what we got. Building 2 in the 50's and lakeview. We got first floor instead of top floor. This was our first room ever on the ground floor but we LOVED it! Building 2 (jukebox) is a pretty long treck after a long day at the parks but we love the 50's section.

We check in to POP tomorrow! I've never stayed on site, so I'm very excited!

I did do a room request through touring plans, we'll see how it works. :)

How did you make a room request through touring plans?

Let us know if you get your room request!
Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter