Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I’ve seen, Disney has been shady on the details.

I personally wouldn't use the term "shady" as I don't think they are doing anything wrong - and shady indicates that to me. (Could be just me who interprets shady that way.) Maybe "sketchy"?

I do wish they had revealed concept art at least. There is one site (if you google Polynesian refurbished rooms it usually comes up) that is VERY misleading in its title - it seems like they have pics of the concept rooms but in reality it's just the hallway where the concept rooms were. (They did the same with the Contemporary.)

Either way, I'm excited to stay for my birthday in July. I'm hoping that them taking Contemporary rooms out for refurb starting in April means they are confident in where they are with the Poly so that they don't have that many rooms out of service and having to relocate people.

I am considering renting a DVC at Poly mid September. However, just reading through the last couple pages of posts, and it seems the monorail isn’t running? Is that because of Covid? Or the construction going on? I ask as I’m not sure it will be worth the extra money to stay if We don’t have monorail access (that’s why I wanted to stay here).

The DVC buildings are the ones closest to the TTC, and it takes about the same amount of time to walk to either one. In my past stays, I've walked over to the TTC most of the time, either for monorail or ferry, rather than take the monorail from the Poly.

But by September, construction SHOULD be done and the monorail re-opened.

I personally wouldn't use the term "shady" as I don't think they are doing anything wrong - and shady indicates that to me. (Could be just me who interprets shady that way.) Maybe "sketchy"?

I do wish they had revealed concept art at least. There is one site (if you google Polynesian refurbished rooms it usually comes up) that is VERY misleading in its title - it seems like they have pics of the concept rooms but in reality it's just the hallway where the concept rooms were. (They did the same with the Contemporary.)

Either way, I'm excited to stay for my birthday in July. I'm hoping that them taking Contemporary rooms out for refurb starting in April means they are confident in where they are with the Poly so that they don't have that many rooms out of service and having to relocate people.

Sorry about that, was writing quickly and meant more in jest, not to imply they are doing something wrong (the tone I meant is probably lost in the written word). Disney is often/usuall pretty mum on concept art or much info at all on room renovations, so seems to me they’re following normal protocol with these so far - leaving all of us here to speculate, bloggers to take pics through windows, etc. 😂

I have some photos of that hallway test area (was nosy and ‘had’ to go check it out myself back in Dec 2019, seems like so long ago). I liked the colors/brightness of the design.

Sorry about that, was writing quickly and meant more in jest, not to imply they are doing something wrong (the tone I meant is probably lost in the written word). Disney is often/usuall pretty mum on concept art or much info at all on room renovations, so seems to me they’re following normal protocol with these so far - leaving all of us here to speculate, bloggers to take pics through windows, etc. 😂

I have some photos of that hallway test area (was nosy and ‘had’ to go check it out myself back in Dec 2019, seems like so long ago). I liked the colors/brightness of the design.

No problem! :)

I agree...I like the carpet hall pictures I've seen.

Not sure exactly what they are up to, but if you've ever glanced over to the other side of the monorail platform - the side that serves as the emergency exit platform and stairs for the Express Monorail - it doesn't appear to be in the best shape. Not that I'm a construction expert, but definitely looks like time for repainting/maintenance and such, IMO.

Hopefully whatever they are up to is short lived.

Quoting myself from August, which didn’t age well. Was just looking at some blog photos of the almost total demolition of the entire monorail structure. Crazy.

I originally wanted to stay at Poly but wanted to stay when monorail was open so booked YC for my June trip. Now I am thinking it may be an advantage to stay at Poly in June with the entire resort side closed because there will be less people and learning that I could just walk to TTC to take it. FWIW, the DVC rooms are available booking with cash my dates and I would have booked that over a resort room anyway because they seem nicer. Thoughts?

Staying at Poly for the first time on 2/8-12. Tell me its still magical. Just me and hubby, last minute trip. It's been on my bucket list...only one resort left in that list...lol...but I want this trip to be magical since we are not taking my (adult) children for the first time in 15 years of yearly WDW trips. I'll love it. Right?

I originally wanted to stay at Poly but wanted to stay when monorail was open so booked YC for my June trip. Now I am thinking it may be an advantage to stay at Poly in June with the entire resort side closed because there will be less people and learning that I could just walk to TTC to take it. FWIW, the DVC rooms are available booking with cash my dates and I would have booked that over a resort room anyway because they seem nicer. Thoughts?

YC is a great resort, especially if you prefer walkability to Epcot/DHS. But I love the Poly, and would not worry about monorail construction since the TTC is so close. If that's the only thing holding you back, then you should switch. Aloha!

So to confirm...are the pools open, especially the Lava pool?

Which is usually faster? The boat or walk to TTC to take the monorail to MK?

We’ll be there in March.

Staying at Poly for the first time on 2/8-12. Tell me its still magical. Just me and hubby, last minute trip. It's been on my bucket list...only one resort left in that list...lol...but I want this trip to be magical since we are not taking my (adult) children for the first time in 15 years of yearly WDW trips. I'll love it. Right?
I want to know the answer to this too bc im staying there end of April and Im worried about arriving to an unsightly entrance or something or having an unpleasant time at a very expensive hotel. Are other parts of the grounds still beautiful? I dont know the layout of Poly, is this all right in your face?

We’ll be there in March.

It's been reported here that both the Lava and Oasis pool are open, though the Oasis Pool Bar is not.

My preference is usually to walk to TTC and take the ferry. I suspect your total travel time for TTC monorail is shorter than the resort launch, simply because you may just miss the launch, and it's a more leisurely watercraft, but it's a little bit the luck of the draw.

If it makes you feel any better, my husband and I stayed at the Poly on our one and only adults-only trip back in August, 2014. At that time, the whole lobby was under renovation and much of the resort was torn up. The Lava Pool wasn’t even open. We still had a magical time. I went back and forth so many times on changing our resort, but we got such a great rate and we both always wanted to stay there. We’ve been back a few times since because we loved our first stay there - construction and all - so much. Enjoy!

If it makes you feel any better, my husband and I stayed at the Poly on our one and only adults-only trip back in August, 2014. At that time, the whole lobby was under renovation and much of the resort was torn up. The Lava Pool wasn’t even open. We still had a magical time. I went back and forth so many times on changing our resort, but we got such a great rate and we both always wanted to stay there. We’ve been back a few times since because we loved our first stay there - construction and all - so much. Enjoy!

We had a stay or two during that time as well. I remember the old quiet pool and the little dinky makeshift bar they set up under one of the small structures (they don’t exist anymore). It was so sad/pathetic and the Poly was such a mess in so many places, but we had a great time!!

That renovation makes this one seem like child’s play, IMO.

We’ll be there in March.

As @Cabius noted, yes both pools are open. Both were a part of the 2014-2015 Poly renovation so to me they are unlikely to see any closure/downtime as part of the current work.

To me it’s a toss up on TTC monorail or boat - really up to your preference at the time. I would, however, steer clear of the TTC at rope drop. You don’t really want to get caught up in the parking lot crowd, IMO.

Don’t forget the bus is also an option. When I was there in December it seemed like the MK bus was at the station quite frequently.

We had a stay or two during that time as well. I remember the old quiet pool and the little dinky makeshift bar they set up under one of the small structures (they don’t exist anymore). It was so sad/pathetic and the Poly was such a mess in so many places, but we had a great time!!

That renovation makes this one seem like child’s play, IMO.

Yes! This renovation is nothing compared to that one! Do you remember when Capt. Cook’s was temporarily moved to the employee cafeteria?! 🤦🏻‍♀️

As @Cabius noted, yes both pools are open. Both were a part of the 2014-2015 Poly renovation so to me they are unlikely to see any closure/downtime as part of the current work.

To me it’s a toss up on TTC monorail or boat - really up to your preference at the time. I would, however, steer clear of the TTC at rope drop. You don’t really want to get caught up in the parking lot crowd, IMO.

Don’t forget the bus is also an option. When I was there in December it seemed like the MK bus was at the station quite frequently.

Great idea on avoiding the TTC at rope drop. Thanks.
I actually just got my welcome email from Poly and mentioned that buses are also available

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter