Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m really grateful to hear people’s experiences with ohana and the twilight feast (although I wish everyone could say they thoroughly enjoyed both!)

right now we have an ohana breakfast on day 2 or 3 and an early dinner on our last night. i think i’ll keep the ADRs, but earlier in the week we’ll probably order the feast one evening. once we’re getting close to the end of our trip, we’ll see how we feel about dinner at the restaurant.
Since you're staying at the Poly, I definitely think it's worth it to have a meal at the actual restaurant at least once, just for the experience. It's not something I would go out of my way to travel to from another resort, however. Hope you have a great experience with both!

Just back from our first visit to Poly, We had a standard two queen room, and I requested to be away from designated smoking areas and wanted a room on the first or third floor. We wound up with a room on the third floor in Tuvalu, which was decent. I just want to touch on something real quick: if you are sensitive to odors, this hotel can wind up being a challenge. Despite having a room that was not near a designated smoking area, on our walks to GCL we were always hit with waves of cigarette smoke from people sitting on balconies and patios smoking. After walking past all of that in the heat, we open the doors to GCL and get hit with a wave of what I can only describe as hot ketchup, mostly coming from Cap'n Cooks. I know that people like to talk about how great the hotel smells, but I was just inundated with that waft of blergh over and over again. I eventually figure out that instead of going through those doors I could hang a left and walk through the patio as if I was going to the pool and then enter the building through the large sliding glass doors. And third on the list of odors, I never got over the smell of the sulfur in the water. It was everywhere and horrible and I did wind up vomiting one morning while I was trying to get ready because it was just such a strong odor and here I was washing with it and using it to brush my teeth. My body was angry! So just be aware, especially if you are coming from a place that has better water filtration.

Okay, friends: for those who have tried either/both: If you had the choice, would you have dinner at Ohana or order the twilight feast to your room?

I am also going back and forth on Twilight Feast vs Ohana! I feel like the kiddos would enjoy the restaurant, but I'd enjoy eating in my PJs :rotfl2:

We just did the Twilight Feast and it was just okay. We had a Lake view studio so we wanted to eat with the sunset, but by the time the food was delivered, the food was lukewarm. We were quite disappointed, but we were able to get an Ohana reservation a couple of nights later and watched Hallowishes from our table. YMMV.

We had the Twilight Feast this past Sunday after being too wiped hitting MK all day to make it to California Grill. Maybe it’s because we ate it on the balcony in our PJs, but it was fantastic. Hot and very fresh. Steak was cooked a bit too well for my liking but we enjoyed it.

We actually did room service again tonight because we’re both feeling a bit under the weather (partner has a migraine, I have a sore throat praying it doesn’t get worse). This is just as good. The other stuff comes from Kona, yes?

I just booked a week in a studio for next September. I am so excited! I have always wanted to stay at the Poly but could only afford it by renting DVC. I couldn't get it on our last trip so I feel so lucky to have gotten it for this one. I can't wait to eat all the food and watch the fireworks and water pageant with my girls.

Only 2 more weeks!!!

I was reading the resort guide/transportation schedule and noticed that it says busses only start running 45 min before the park opens. Is that true? Like there won't be any busses until 8:15 on a day AK opens at 9? That seems quite late to me!

Only 2 more weeks!!!

I was reading the resort guide/transportation schedule and noticed that it says busses only start running 45 min before the park opens. Is that true? Like there won't be any busses until 8:15 on a day AK opens at 9? That seems quite late to me!

Buses start rolling at 6:30AM every day for early, pre park opening ADRs.

18 hours until a glorious full day of doing absolutely nothing but being at The Poly!

I will update you guys constantly with what I am doing/eating minute-by-minute. I'm sure you wouldn't want to miss a detail.

Last edited:
We rented a patio for a pool day yesterday and even with light drizzling off and on there was no shortage of folks at the Oasis pool. Lava pool was much the same. The weather is actually perfect for swimming imo.

A bit jelly... from your posts you have been living your best life at Disney all week! :-)

Hope you had a good trip.

:rotfl:
A bit jelly... from your posts you have been living your best life at Disney all week! :-)

Hope you had a good trip.

It’s been wonderful. I was a little afraid that we may have hyped up the Poly so much in our heads that reality wouldn’t match it, but it did and then some. Now I know what you all mean about the smell! We never did get to Trader Sam’s, but that’s just an excuse to come back. We’re already talking about the next trip! You and the other Poly regulars in the thread helped make the planning so much easier.

About the only bad thing that’s happened was I got a cold on Wednesday and have been suffering a bit since then but taking it easy with breaks and fluids like we had planned to do anyway, and it’s helped. A mild fever didn’t stop me from enjoying AK and Pandora for the first time (we are both huge animal lovers).

Partner went downstairs to get me a dole whip...she said it would cure me! :rotfl:

:rotfl:

It’s been wonderful. I was a little afraid that we may have hyped up the Poly so much in our heads that reality wouldn’t match it, but it did and then some. Now I know what you all mean about the smell! We never did get to Trader Sam’s, but that’s just an excuse to come back. We’re already talking about the next trip! You and the other Poly regulars in the thread helped make the planning so much easier.

About the only bad thing that’s happened was I got a cold on Wednesday and have been suffering a bit since then but taking it easy with breaks and fluids like we had planned to do anyway, and it’s helped. A mild fever didn’t stop me from enjoying AK and Pandora for the first time (we are both huge animal lovers).

Partner went downstairs to get me a dole whip...she said it would cure me! :rotfl:

You may not drink so I don't mean to overreach... but the Pago Pago Painkiller is a pretty good remedy for a cold if the Dole Whip doesn't work. 8-)

The Trader Sam's Tiki Terrace (outdoor patio) is open late and has to-go cups.

But a Dole Whip may do the trick too! Ha!

By the way, it is very easy to get Poly too hyped up. I always worry about folks who are so excited about staying there. The resort has its flaws like they all do and it's not for everyone, but we really love it there.

Last edited:
I know this was asked on the last page, but didn't see an answer. Is the Tambu Lounge opened yet? Or anyone hear any rumors on a re-opening date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter