Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staying in 2 weeks!!! pixiedust:
How is the parking availability during the day, anyone have input? I read a post that said they were driving around looking for a spot for 10-20 minutes.-?
We will be heading to AK for 8am ADR on October 20th, then dropping rental car back at Poly hopefully around 10:30ish to take monorail to MK. I thought the rental car would be quicker than the buses from AK-MK, or should we skip driving and just bus it? I have FPs schedules at MK for 11:30, hoping to pick the fastest option!

That was my post. During the day is fine, as I remember. There were usually plenty of spots near the gate (which is farthest away from the main entrance.) We went to the waterparks on a few days and usually returned around 2 - 3pm. No issues getting a spot near the gate. It was after 4:30 with Trader Sams opened, The Luau line starting and Ohanas dinner that took up most of the parking. Early morning was tough too with people arriving for breakfast/pool chair reservations ;) . Between 10am - 4pm you can look near the gate and there should be availability.

Hubs and I are going to Disney next October and staying at the Polynesian! We are very excited! I haven't been to Disney since 2008 and has been longer for Hubs I think. I only passed through the Polynesian to go to Ohana but so excited to stay there this time! We thought about staying at Animal Kingdom with a Savannah view (because I wanted to see the animals) but really preferred to stay somewhere more centrally located- and easier access to our favorite parks (MK and Epcot). Loved reading through this thread for all the tips and experiences!

That was my post. During the day is fine, as I remember. There were usually plenty of spots near the gate (which is farthest away from the main entrance.) We went to the waterparks on a few days and usually returned around 2 - 3pm. No issues getting a spot near the gate. It was after 4:30 with Trader Sams opened, The Luau line starting and Ohanas dinner that took up most of the parking. Early morning was tough too with people arriving for breakfast/pool chair reservations ;) . Between 10am - 4pm you can look near the gate and there should be availability.

Are seats at the pool still an issue..?

Getting anxious now!!!! Starting to set in that after all this time, finally we will be staying at the Polynesian Village!!!
As long as were are able to get a ground floor DVC studio room away from the construction and the Xmas party is not rainy, it should be a perfect trip!!!

Be the first time I visit where we will for the most part just spend it leisurely for the week with only 1-day planned for park hopping and another for the Xmas party. With the exception of a couple of dining reservations, it's been nice not having to worry about planning every last detail. It will be nice for a change, to just enjoy each and every day as it comes.

I'm in the same position as you! Love the Poly but want to try BC next August. Although we are big fans of MK, I feel we should give another resort a chance to make a good impression. If I decide to go with the split-stay, then I have to think about which one to do first. And another thing is having to pack everything up! I like to unpack everything when I'm in a room. Hmmmm....a split-stay would ultimately cost me lots of time. Something to think about.
Yeah...I hear you about the split stay. While it sounds good in theory, I don't know that I want to be packing up and moving. There is a chance you may have to move to a new room when you get to your resort as well, if you don't like it, ugh....too much of a hassle. But I get the attraction.

Just got a letter from Disney today about the pool renovations during my stay in March 2016:

Aloha!

We are thrilled you have chosen to be our Guest at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort and Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows.

Walt Disney once spoke of how his creations would never be complete as long as there is imagination left in the world. It is in this spirit that we have embarked on one of the largest and most exciting updates in our history! In preparation for your upcoming stay, we wanted to make you aware of renovations that will be taking place during your visit.

bullet.gif
The Polynesian East Pool will be closed for enhancement from mid-April 2015 through early 2016. During this time, you will observe construction taking place and certain pathways and buildings may be unavailable. Noise may be overheard while this work is being completed, but please rest assured that construction will not begin until after 9:00am.

While we work our magic, many of our exceptional amenities, including shops and dining experiences, will continue to be open for your enjoyment. If you wish to swim, our recently-renovated Lava Pool, featuring a zero-depth entry, a 142-foot waterslide and an infinity hot tub, will be available to you, weather permitting.

We appreciate your patience and understanding during these exciting times. While you may see or hear our “work in progress,” please know that we are making every effort to ensure your visit is comfortable and magical.

If you need assistance with your reservation, please contact your original booking agent listed on your confirmation letter. If you booked your stay through Walt Disney World® Resort or have general questions, please call 888-939-7376 and one of our Cast Members will be happy to assist you.

We eagerly await your arrival and wish you a truly magical stay!

Mahalo,

It looks like the pool refurb will last past the month of April. Just thought you guys might want to know as I see a lot of people asking about it!

May I ask what your dates are? Are you staying thru April? We check in April 2. Thanks!

When I was there mid-September seats at the pool did not seem to be a problem. We spent a whole day at the pool on a hot sunny day and there was never a lack of chairs, but you might not get a shady spot. The resort was also full. Side note: We had a great "non-theme park" day of Ohana breakast, monorail ride to GF to walk around their beach and check the place out, hours of pool time, a trip to DTD including dinner, and back to the resort for fireworks!

Hubs and I are going to Disney next October and staying at the Polynesian! We are very excited! I haven't been to Disney since 2008 and has been longer for Hubs I think. I only passed through the Polynesian to go to Ohana but so excited to stay there this time! We thought about staying at Animal Kingdom with a Savannah view (because I wanted to see the animals) but really preferred to stay somewhere more centrally located- and easier access to our favorite parks (MK and Epcot). Loved reading through this thread for all the tips and experiences!

I see this is your first post. I officially welcome you! :flower1:

We just got back from a 7 day/6night stay at Poly in the Tokelau building. It was great even if the quiet pool was closed.the only complaint I had was the confusion a lot of people had while ordering and paying at Capt Cooks.
We have only stayed at the Beach club and familiar with the Market place there. When you walk into Capt Cooks there is a overhead menu in the right side next to the kitchen and then 2 registers in the front center. You have to walk around the registers, people staring at the menus and try to get past the individuals who are standing at the fridge cases trying to choose a drink... Just to place your order! It seems like there should be a better way to have flow in there but maybe that's just me.
Good News:We were traveling with our 17 month old who will not nap or sleep if we have to share a room... I guess mom and dad are better to play and hang out with then catching zzz's. We were able to fit the Pack N Play into the second bathroom in our studio and that way our daughter had her own space to sleep!
Our little girl loved the kids splash play area and had a blast. She enjoyed that area better then the pool.
We also loved the monorail access and walking to the TTC.
Overall I would enjoy staying here again!
So do you place your order at the register? Where do you wait for your food?

Just got a letter from Disney today about the pool renovations during my stay in March 2016:

Aloha!

We are thrilled you have chosen to be our Guest at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort and Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows.

Walt Disney once spoke of how his creations would never be complete as long as there is imagination left in the world. It is in this spirit that we have embarked on one of the largest and most exciting updates in our history! In preparation for your upcoming stay, we wanted to make you aware of renovations that will be taking place during your visit.

bullet.gif
The Polynesian East Pool will be closed for enhancement from mid-April 2015 through early 2016. During this time, you will observe construction taking place and certain pathways and buildings may be unavailable. Noise may be overheard while this work is being completed, but please rest assured that construction will not begin until after 9:00am.

While we work our magic, many of our exceptional amenities, including shops and dining experiences, will continue to be open for your enjoyment. If you wish to swim, our recently-renovated Lava Pool, featuring a zero-depth entry, a 142-foot waterslide and an infinity hot tub, will be available to you, weather permitting.

We appreciate your patience and understanding during these exciting times. While you may see or hear our “work in progress,” please know that we are making every effort to ensure your visit is comfortable and magical.

If you need assistance with your reservation, please contact your original booking agent listed on your confirmation letter. If you booked your stay through Walt Disney World® Resort or have general questions, please call 888-939-7376 and one of our Cast Members will be happy to assist you.

We eagerly await your arrival and wish you a truly magical stay!

Mahalo,

It looks like the pool refurb will last past the month of April. Just thought you guys might want to know as I see a lot of people asking about it!

Thanks for the information :).

Trying to decide between CL and a standard room for our trip next July. I realize this comes down to personal preference, but had a few specific questions about CL, hoping someone with experience can help.

This will not be our first stay at the Poly, but will be our first trip during the summer months, so thinking we will spend less time at the parks and more time at the resort, so the idea of "extra space" is appealing with 2 littles.

I'm wondering if we will find enough breakfast options available to make a true meal? We are big breakfast eaters, and tend to spend a lot of money on breakfasts at WDW (both character and non-character), so wouldn't want to have to find additional breakfast offerings if we are staying CL.

Also, we will be there over 4th of July. Do they close the beach to non-Poly guests for fireworks? Does CL have it's own viewing area?

Finally, I believe I read that they had a special 4th of July menu in the lounge this past year (hotdogs, etc) - can anyone confirm if this is a regular occurrence? Enough to make a "meal" out of? Though this might be fun for the kids. Generally there are just apps in the evening, correct?

Appreciate any input. Trying to see if there is any cost savings to be had by staying CL, on top of the other benefits. Need some good Disney math to convince DH!!

I can't answer about Poly CL and food offerings, but wanted to say good luck with your decision. We love the Poly and are looking forward to trying CL next summer. We've only stayed 3 clubs and while we don't stay CL every trip, when we do it's more for the lounge than the offerings. It's nice having the lounge for somewhere else to go and relax instead of in the room or around the resort. For us CL is worth the extra cost some trips just for the lounge (with the food offerings being a bonus ;)).

As far as the beach on 4th of July, I think I read for this past July 4th they blocked off an area for CL guests, but I'm not positive. Hopefully someone else will be able to say for sure :flower3:.

Hello, all! What a great thread, I'm incredibly appreciative! Looking forward to our next family trip to WDW, staying at the Poly for the first time! Booked third week of August, 2016.

I'm doing this crazy thing with my SIL that involves us surprising our spouses and children the day of the trip! I'm not used to being sneaky with money so this is going to be a challenge! Exciting though!! Looking forward to reading more Experiences!!

You are going to love the Poly! How exciting and fun to make it a surprise for everyone....enjoy the planning :goodvibes.

We'll be at the Poly that week in August next year as well :).

We're booked for that week too!

We are booked for that week, too :yay:.

Welcome to the Dis :flower3:.

I think you made a good choice with the Poly. We've stayed at both the Poly and AKL and while we do love AKL, the Poly is our favorite. You can't beat the location for MK and getting to Epcot is easy as well since you can walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail. Next October seems far away, but it will be here before you know it ::yes::.

Getting anxious now!!!! Starting to set in that after all this time, finally we will be staying at the Polynesian Village!!!
As long as were are able to get a ground floor DVC studio room away from the construction and the Xmas party is not rainy, it should be a perfect trip!!!

Be the first time I visit where we will for the most part just spend it leisurely for the week with only 1-day planned for park hopping and another for the Xmas party. With the exception of a couple of dining reservations, it's been nice not having to worry about planning every last detail. It will be nice for a change, to just enjoy each and every day as it comes.

Sounds like a very relaxing (but also fun) trip you have planned :).

Hope you have a great time! :wizard:

Trying to decide between CL and a standard room for our trip next July. I realize this comes down to personal preference, but had a few specific questions about CL, hoping someone with experience can help.

This will not be our first stay at the Poly, but will be our first trip during the summer months, so thinking we will spend less time at the parks and more time at the resort, so the idea of "extra space" is appealing with 2 littles.

I'm wondering if we will find enough breakfast options available to make a true meal? We are big breakfast eaters, and tend to spend a lot of money on breakfasts at WDW (both character and non-character), so wouldn't want to have to find additional breakfast offerings if we are staying CL.

Also, we will be there over 4th of July. Do they close the beach to non-Poly guests for fireworks? Does CL have it's own viewing area?

Finally, I believe I read that they had a special 4th of July menu in the lounge this past year (hotdogs, etc) - can anyone confirm if this is a regular occurrence? Enough to make a "meal" out of? Though this might be fun for the kids. Generally there are just apps in the evening, correct?

Appreciate any input. Trying to see if there is any cost savings to be had by staying CL, on top of the other benefits. Need some good Disney math to convince DH!!

Hi, we've stayed at Poly CL during the July 4 week for the past 3 years. Last 4th, they did not "close the beach" to non-Poly guests, but they did rope off an area for only CL guests. Or you can watch the show from the lounge too. I posted pictures of the lounge offerings between 5-7 while we were there this last July 4 week, but I think on July 4 all I got was my plate of food, but still it would give you an idea. That night we did use the lounge food as our dinner -- hot dogs, salad, baked beans, and chicken. I'll go back in this thread or maybe it was the CL thread and see if I can find my pictures for you.

We do use the lounge food as our breakfast each morning, except we still do maybe one character breakfast in the mix. In the lounge there is oatmeal, bagels, cereal, yogurt, fruit, Danish/muffins.... juices, milk, coffee....

We LOVE staying at Poly CL during July 4!!

Are seats at the pool still an issue..?

Prime spots, such as near the pool to watch your kids, or near the kids play area and of course, tables with umbrellas were not usually available. You wont have a problem finding a lounger literally centimeters away from the person next to you in a back row near the gate.

Because we had waterpark passes, we only spent one day at the pool. Got there around 9:15 and got an umbrella table next to the bar. It was the only one available and I feel lucky we got it. Other than that, we didnt go to the pool, but I glanced at it as I walked to the marina, or even just GCH. It always seems full. I saw an entire family of about 10 walking from the parking lot with inflatable pool toys, a cooler, small suitcases (the new "carryons") dressed in swimsuites w/ coverups. They went straight through the pathway in between GCH and Rarotonga and straight to the pool. Had no problem at all getting into the pool area and setting up camp for the day. Other than that family, I had no idea who was a resort guest and who was a hopper. Actually, I did overhear some family saying goodbye to another family, saying Ill see you in a little while etc..The family went from the pool to the GCH doors, I assume they were leaving. I think one family was staying there and the other was visiting them.

Like I said previously, the resort is gorgeous and the amenities are amazing and the monorail is so convenient, but compared to other resorts we dined at, I could really tell the difference between the crowds. Im no spring chicken and a day in a park is a little overwhelming in itself and it would be nice to just go back to a quiet resort and relax. The Poly is not quiet and not for me. Clearly, its perfect for million of others, so dont let my opinion sway any decision about staying there :)

Hello, we are just over 3 weeks away until our first stay at the Polynesian and we are so excited. We will be staying at Port Orleans on the first night because we have an evening flight. Our plan is to take a taxi the next morning and check in at the Polynesian. Is there a speedway gas station that is on the way where we can pick up a few things (water, snacks, beer) for our room. Thank you....

So do you place your order at the register? Where do you wait for your food?

You place your order, and pay for it at the register right by the post on front of where that guy in standing, then you wait for your order right where the hanging light is in the middle of the picture.

Unless you picked out your drinks/desserts/snacks before placing your order, you then need to go to the registers in fron the the drinks and snacks frisge to pay for them. If you picked them before you order hot food, then you can pay for it all together at the register by the post. It does get quite crowded in this place. This picture was taken around 6:45am.

12032758_903994549635642_217231810034137732_o.jpg

Hi, we've stayed at Poly CL during the July 4 week for the past 3 years. Last 4th, they did not "close the beach" to non-Poly guests, but they did rope off an area for only CL guests. Or you can watch the show from the lounge too. I posted pictures of the lounge offerings between 5-7 while we were there this last July 4 week, but I think on July 4 all I got was my plate of food, but still it would give you an idea. That night we did use the lounge food as our dinner -- hot dogs, salad, baked beans, and chicken. I'll go back in this thread or maybe it was the CL thread and see if I can find my pictures for you.

We do use the lounge food as our breakfast each morning, except we still do maybe one character breakfast in the mix. In the lounge there is oatmeal, bagels, cereal, yogurt, fruit, Danish/muffins.... juices, milk, coffee....

We LOVE staying at Poly CL during July 4!!
Thanks, I'll dig back and see what I can find! It may have been your post I remember seeing with the offerings on the 4th :)

You place your order, and pay for it at the register right by the post on front of where that guy in standing, then you wait for your order right where the hanging light is in the middle of the picture.

Unless you picked out your drinks/desserts/snacks before placing your order, you then need to go to the registers in fron the the drinks and snacks frisge to pay for them. If you picked them before you order hot food, then you can pay for it all together at the register by the post. It does get quite crowded in this place. This picture was taken around 6:45am.

12032758_903994549635642_217231810034137732_o.jpg

We found the place a little confusing too. We didn't know where to line up and actually didn't know about being back by the "Drinks and Snacks" until halfway through our stay, when a CM finally roped it off and stood there to guide guests. I don't see the rope in your pic. Is this something they do only then when they start seeing the glazed confusion in their guests' eyes? :confused3;)

Hello, we are just over 3 weeks away until our first stay at the Polynesian and we are so excited. We will be staying at Port Orleans on the first night because we have an evening flight. Our plan is to take a taxi the next morning and check in at the Polynesian. Is there a speedway gas station that is on the way where we can pick up a few things (water, snacks, beer) for our room. Thank you....

We had to leave the Poly and Disney only once. I specifically remember a place close by where we stopped for gas. After paying, my husband came out raving about how much cheaper the beer was than at the resort!

Side note: It would seem cheap to us anyway, since we're Canadian and our beer is much more expensive than American beer, in general. ::yes:: But you get my point.

We found the place a little confusing too. We didn't know where to line up and actually didn't know about being back by the "Drinks and Snacks" until halfway through our stay, when a CM finally roped it off and stood there to guide guests. I don't see the rope in your pic. Is this something they do only then when they start seeing the glazed confusion in their guests' eyes? :confused3;)

LOL! Maybe!! I didnt see a rope there ever in 12 days! I mostly only went to refill our cups, and once when we had a "pool day", I went in for the pork nachos. I eyeballed the cupcakes all the time, but was never hungry enough for those monsterous things!! They looked delicious though!

It definitely could be a time of year thing. My concern was not the crowded pool, but the crowded, Captain Cooks, the crowded shops, the crowded lobby, the wait fot the monorail from diners leaving/going to parks etc..

I was there during free dining, so of course the restaurants were fully booked for every meal. Starting with Ohana character breakfast and the popular Kona Cafe. Also, Captain Cooks seemed crowded in the morning. Not sure if was just resort guests, or other venturing over to have breakfast, then hop the monorail to the MK for the day. The parking situation was brutal. On a good day, I would circle the lot 5 - 10 minutes. On a bad day 20 minutes + waiting for an available spot.
Then, you have one of the most popular dining venues, Ohana, in addition to the almost nightly, 2 shows per night, Luau. There is another 1200+ people wondering around/parking etc.. THEN...you have the very popular Trader Sams lounge/bar/grill. Add another 150+ guests nightly. Maybe during non free dining periods, the restaurants arent so busy?? My last time there was in October 2010, another free dining period, so my memory only remembers the crowds. I didnt want to go back, but I read the parking and pool issues were taken care of, so I tried it again. Same problems. I dont think the quiet pool will make a difference, unless they add a bar. All kids will be at the main pool with their parents and the adults only want the beverages. Also, the quiet pool is literally surrounded by buildings. No lagoon/beach view. Only real book readers/sun bathers and those who really want quiet will be over there :)

Thanks so much for your response! I can see how if it is that busy, the resort might not be as relaxing. My family really wants to stay there, so I am going with what they want this time. I have heard that the quiet pool will have a bar, so hopefully that will help spread out some of the crowds. I wish that they could stop the pool hoppers and also the people who park there all day when they are not supposed to!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter