Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep it's my biggest gripe with the "new" Polynesian. But like I said it is an easy fix so I am holding out hope that Disney plants a couple of trees/bushes/plants in that grassy area.

I hope so too :goodvibes.

GREAT to watch WISHES from pool!

I agree ::yes::.

Hello My family will be staying at the Poly for the first time in a standard room. Would anyone be able to tell me if the second floor sliding doors open up to view the outside. I know that there are no second floor balconies, but if the doors open up I will be just as happy with that if I do not get a balcony room. Thank you for any responses.

Cheryl

I want to say they don't, but I don't know for sure. Hopefully others who have stayed in one of those rooms will be able to answer :flower3:.

I have booked the Poly for the first time checking in on March 18th. From everything I can find it just says the quiet pool construction should end early 2016. Any insight on if we will be okay. I don't want to be in a construction zone the entire time. This is my last monorail resort that I haven't stayed in and we are really looking forward to it! It's also my daughters 10th birthday and a surprise trip.

I think that was the original completion time (spring 2016), but unfortunately, there's really no way to know for sure until it gets closer (and even then it could be hit or miss as to when it will be completed). With that said, I think I remember reading that construction on the pool started later than expected, so it might not be done as early as spring.

We returned home about a week ago. We stayed in Fiji first floor facing the GCH. I had requested quiet and upper level and this was not quiet nor upper level. There was music coming from Trader Sam's/Captain Cook's area until very late at night and then it started again in the am. We requested to move but they were fully booked. The front desk said that we were on the quiet side but it wasn't quiet.... It was a good location otherwise. We didn't see any construction at all and would probably have been barely aware that any was going on were it not for this thread. Also, we enjoyed the pool and went almost every day but we also noticed lots of hair in it. And my magic band did not work to open the pool gates the entire visit. This sounds more negative than it was. Overall, we liked the Polynesian a lot and enjoyed most things about it.

We stayed at the Polynesian from 8/20 to 8/29 in Tuvalu. We were on the top floor in the last room (3415) with a pretty nice view back towards the marina and GCH/main pool/Trader Sam's terrace. Prior to our stay at the Poly (first time there) we were at Coronado Springs Resort for 4 nights.

Our highs and lows were as follows:

Highs:
1) CMs were almost all fantastic at the Poly (as they were at CSR, to be fair). The one exception was the barman I got on the one night I went to Trader Sam's to buy cocktails for my wife and I. He was friendly but distracted and I didn't feel "the vibe". The drinks were excellent though. A big shout out to Tyler in Bell Services, Victoria at check-in (who saw my daughter's birthday button when we were checking in and brought her a small Stitch stuffed toy as a gift) and the staff in the shops and eateries. Whenever we met a CM walking about we were greeted with a smile and "Aloha!" and actually even the contractors doing maintenance and construction would often say hello to us.
2) The resort architecture was breathtaking and I may be in a minority here but I prefer the new GCH ground floor area to the old one. The weird smell has gone and the light pours in now.
3) The main pool is lovely and we had a great time in here with our kids, both at the children's play area and in the main pool. At no time did we find it crowded. We did make a note of going just before 9am to get our preferred location near to the gate by the marina and the pool was noticeably busier in the afternoons when we were about (as Brits, we are not used to such heat and humidity so we tended to leave the pool by 1pm at the latest). I agree that the children's play area is possibly the best one amongst the Disney hotels on-site.
4) Captain Cooks had nice food and was convenient.
5) The main ground floor shop (the name escapes me for now) had a nice variety of items and souvenirs and always played the best music. It's my favourite of all the resort shops now and puts the Yacht Club, Beach Club, Contemporary and GF stores to shame, in my opinion.
6) Monorail services were excellent, with the exception of one return journey on our final day from MK to the Poly, where we must have sat at two stations of the three for 10 minutes at each station.
7) Kona Cafe was very good and we enjoyed the food, especially the Pineapple-Macadamia Nut pancakes!

Lows:
1) The Poly's main pool isn't as warm as the one at Coronado Springs by some distance, even though the CSR main pool appears to be bigger.
2) Lining up for food orders at Captain Cook's was pure pot luck. Some days the line moved quick, some days slow. There was too little space and too many folk hanging around waiting for their orders getting in the way unintentionally.
3) The self-service soft drinks machines at Captain Cook's were constantly out of ice or not working. Often there was a lot of wasted ice sitting in the drip trays and I witnessed many kids going up unsupervised (not an issue in itself), pushing in front of others (more of an issue, imo) then taking an age to decide what they wanted before filling their cup with ice to the brim and then pouring half or more of it away. Parents - have a word please!!!
4) The grooves in the countertops by the drinks machines in Captain Cook's must have been designed by someone out for revenge as they have been made to be something like an 1/8th of an inch too close together to allow a refillable mug to sit in between them without it leaning over.
5) 'Ohana breakfast was a disappointment from the POV of the food. Little in terms of food for non-meat eaters. Two small pieces of bread for four of us when we sat down and a small platter of fruit. The biscuits, which are way too salty for our tastes as a family and especially for our kids, went to waste. Our server was nice though. But compared to two years ago when we last ate here for breakfast, it was not as good. No welcome photo and garland. There was a Memory Maker photographer following Stitch around the tables but only Stitch, not the other three characters.
6) The lights on the path around the marina to the Tuvalu building were never turned on at night, which made it a pain when pushing a stroller and carrying a sleeping child. Also the path flooded just before you reach the Tuvalu entrance and took ages to drain away and dry out.
7) The Poly elevators. In the GCH there are only two and given people are going to/from the second floor for the monorail or dining/shopping options it seems a tiny number. Additionally we saw a lot, and I mean a lot, of fit people who didn't need to use an elevator but chose to, which added to delays for us (we had a stroller with child in it) and many others who had strollers, wheelchairs, ECVs or walking aids. Also the GCH elevators are grotty inside, and I mean grotty. In our longhouse the elevators were tiny and we could barely fit two adults and two kids (one in a stroller) inside.
8) The beige/taupe Polynesian Resort Hawaiian shirts were only in stock in a medium and the CMs had no idea when other sizes were due in. At no point during our stay did I see any other sizes for adults. Surely they're missing a trick here!!

General comments on our trip:

Things we liked:
1) The CMs were very good.
2) The weather was very good and the thunderstorms didn't bother us too much.
3) We loved all four Disney Parks.
4) The character interactions we had were fantastic, especially Anna and Elsa! Our daughter (who was five on 8/21) and Elsa played peek-a-boo with our 18 month old son using Elsa's dress to hide behind.
5) Biergarten Restaurant at Epcot (Germany) was very, very good and we met a lovely family from Seattle who were at our table.
6) Visible improvements to Downtown Disney/Disney Springs, although there is a lot more to go!
7) Some nice shopping bargains at a number of places.
8) The food at Hollywood 'n' Vine was far, far better than on any previous visit. I'd happily do breakfast here again next time.
9) Our daughter getting signed birthday cards from the Big Five at Chef Mickey's and from Belle and Beast at Be Our Guest.

Things that bothered us:
1) Boys and men walking out of the restrooms and not washing their hands. Especially out of the stalls!!! I can't believe people do this. I saw this constantly, both inside Disney and outside. Nationality or ethnicity didn't seem to matter. They just didn't give a -----.
2) Linecutters. One, on Under The Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid at MK, who used his young daughter as an excuse to cut past everyone in a 20 minutes line (standby), saying he was trying to get out, only to get past the second CM checkpoint and skip round a whole load more people to jump onto the ride. Another in the FP+ line for TSMM at HS. The family in front of us let another family in line in front of them as "their fast passes were valid from that exact time". Annoying when you've lined up for 5-10 minutes already. Go to the back like everyone else, people!
3) Poor service at the Michael Kors outlet in Vineland Road Premium Outlets.
4) Traffic chaos at Downtown Disney on a Saturday evening. We ended up going back to the Poly via Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf and went to DD another day in the morning, which was way more relaxed.

Most amusing thing I saw (at least to my slightly warped, British sense of humour):
I had just parked the stroller outside Hollywood 'n' Vine for our breakfast and was walking back along the raised "verandah" waiting area towards the entrance to the restaurant. An elderly lady (in her 60's or 70's I'd say) came along in her ECV, possibly at about 10mph. Too fast, anyway, for where she was riding and where she was going. As she approached the last of the strollers lined up and spied a a parking spot for her ECV she did a hard left turn to drive up towards the dwarf wall and promptly drove into the wall with a large bang as she had completely forgotten to use the brakes! Cue a lot of sniggering from me and few others who saw what happened. A CM rapidly appeared on scene and helped her off the ECV. And she was fine. He then gave a quick crash-course (LOL, pun intended) in how to use the darn ECV properly.

Given the increasing number of these things flying around the paths of WDW, perhaps some sort of licensing is needed (perhaps with some breathalyser tests too for good measure)!

Last edited:
Trying to figure out a room request for a SV villa. Really don't want to look at construction site although my 3 year old will love it!

Those construction views would have been very disappointing to me, too. Even if you've booked a garden or theme park room, couldn't you ask to be switched to Fiji marina view? I'll post pics when I'm home, but our view is incredible. Think I already said it but I can't believe this is a standard view! It's so, so pretty.

We returned home about a week ago. We stayed in Fiji first floor facing the GCH. I had requested quiet and upper level and this was not quiet nor upper level. There was music coming from Trader Sam's/Captain Cook's area until very late at night and then it started again in the am. We requested to move but they were fully booked. The front desk said that we were on the quiet side but it wasn't quiet.... It was a good location otherwise. We didn't see any construction at all and would probably have been barely aware that any was going on were it not for this thread. Also, we enjoyed the pool and went almost every day but we also noticed lots of hair in it. And my magic band did not work to open the pool gates the entire visit. This sounds more negative than it was. Overall, we liked the Polynesian a lot and enjoyed most things about it.

I'm sorry about the issue with the music from Trader Sam's and your MB not working for the pool gate, but glad you liked the Poly and had a nice stay overall :wizard:.

We stayed at the Polynesian from 8/20 to 8/29 in Tuvalu. We were on the top floor in the last room (3415) with a pretty nice view back towards the marina and GCH/main pool/Trader Sam's terrace. Prior to our stay at the Poly (first time there) we were at Coronado Springs Resort for 4 nights.

Thanks for your review. Hope you had a great time :).

Those construction views would have been very disappointing to me, too. Even if you've booked a garden or theme park room, couldn't you ask to be switched to Fiji marina view? I'll post pics when I'm home, but our view is incredible. Think I already said it but I can't believe this is a standard view! It's so, so pretty.

Looking forward to your pics :goodvibes.

Just back from 8 FANTASTIC days at the Polynesian (CL GV). :sunny: Here is a link to the LIVE report that I've been posting to.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/live-from-the-polynesian-gv-cl-aug-24-sept-1.3441268/

Glad you had a great time at the Poly! I loved following along with your live TR....thanks for all of the live updates and pics :goodvibes.

I have booked the Poly for the first time checking in on March 18th. From everything I can find it just says the quiet pool construction should end early 2016. Any insight on if we will be okay. I don't want to be in a construction zone the entire time. This is my last monorail resort that I haven't stayed in and we are really looking forward to it! It's also my daughters 10th birthday and a surprise trip.

Well everything I have read has been saying Spring 2016 for the East Pool to be done, but the construction on it started 2 months later than originally planned. So I wouldn't count on it being done until May or June. But, nobody really knows until it gets closer.

I am going to make sure we visit Poly the night before check-in, to stress we get a view without construction/cherry pickers. If that's still the case in November...which I expect with how slow this all has been. They may as well have just built the entire resort from scratch again. How they can do this to guests with the prices they are charging is outrageous to me.

Yes, I know work has to be done, so then block off those rooms until it's complete if it's to take more than a day.

I too would be disappointed to have cherry pickers parked outside the room all day long. So, there is construction on the east pool, and the lagoon side of Hawaii, and where else?

For those of us paying extra to be CL, it seems that the view and noise are WORSE than other areas. I know it sounds awful, but since I'm paying more, I hope to have a better experience than non-CL. Isn't that sort of the point of "upgrading"? I do have young children, so I'm guessing they'd love a view of construction, but I'd sort of prefer a bit of peace. Fingers crossed that at least the cherry pickers are gone by the end of the month, or this may be our first trip to WDW, and our last to the Poly. :-(

I am going to make sure we visit Poly the night before check-in, to stress we get a view without construction/cherry pickers. If that's still the case in November...which I expect with how slow this all has been. They may as well have just built the entire resort from scratch again. How they can do this to guests with the prices they are charging is outrageous to me.

Yes, I know work has to be done, so then block off those rooms until it's complete if it's to take more than a day.

May not tell you anything. During our stay, they worked on the outside of our building (Samoa) during the day. They took everything away in the evening. Honestly, it didn't bother us. We were out most of the day. If we were there for an afternoon nap, we just closed the drapes.

Our highs and lows were as follows:

Highs:
1) CMs were almost all fantastic at the Poly (as they were at CSR, to be fair). The one exception was the barman I got on the one night I went to Trader Sam's to buy cocktails for my wife and I. He was friendly but distracted and I didn't feel "the vibe". The drinks were excellent though. A big shout out to Tyler in Bell Services, Victoria at check-in (who saw my daughter's birthday button when we were checking in and brought her a small Stitch stuffed toy as a gift) and the staff in the shops and eateries. Whenever we met a CM walking about we were greeted with a smile and "Aloha!" and actually even the contractors doing maintenance and construction would often say hello to us.
2) The resort architecture was breathtaking and I may be in a minority here but I prefer the new GCH ground floor area to the old one. The weird smell has gone and the light pours in now.
3) The main pool is lovely and we had a great time in here with our kids, both at the children's play area and in the main pool. At no time did we find it crowded. We did make a note of going just before 9am to get our preferred location near to the gate by the marina and the pool was noticeably busier in the afternoons when we were about (as Brits not used to such heat and humidity we tended to leave the pool by 1pm at the latest). I agree that the children's play area is possibly the best one amongst the Disney hotels on-site.
4) Captain Cooks had nice food and was convenient.
5) The main ground floor shop (the name escapes me for now) had a nice variety of items and souvenirs and always played the best music. It's my favourite of all the resort shops now and puts the Yacht Club, Beach Club, Contemporary and GF stores to shame, in my opinion.
6) Monorail services were excellent, with the exception of one return journey on our final day from MK to the Poly, where we must have sat at two stations of the three for 10 minutes.
7) Kona Cafe was very good and we enjoyed the food, especially the Pineapple-Mcadamia Nut pancakes!

Lows:
1) The Poly's main pool isn't as warm as the one at Coronado Springs by some distance, even though the CSR main pool appears to be bigger.
2) Lining up for food orders at Captain Cook's was pure pot luck. Some days the line moved quick, some days slow. There was too little space and too many folk hanging around waiting for their orders getting in the way unintentionally.
3) The soft drinks machines at Captain Cook's were constantly out of ice or not working. Often there was a lot of wasted ice sitting in the drip trays and I witnessed many kids going up unsupervised (not an issue in itself), pushing in front of others then taking an age to decide what they wanted before filling their cup with ice to the brim and then pouring half or more of it away.
4) The grooves in the countertops by the drinks machines in Captain Cook's must have been designed by someone out for revenge as they have been made to be something like an 1/8th of an inch too close together to allow a refillable mug to sit in between them without it leaning over.
5) 'Ohana breakfast was a disappointment from the POV of the food. Little in terms of food for non-meat eaters. Two small pieces of bread for four of us when we sat down and a small platter of fruit. The biscuits, which are way too salty for our tastes as a family and especially for our kids, went to waste. Our server was nice though. But compared to two years ago when we last ate here for breakfast, it was not as good. No welcome photo and garland. There was a Memory Maker photographer following Stitch around the tables but only Stitch, not the other three characters.
6) The lights on the path around the marina to the Tuvalu building were never turned on at night, which made it a pain when pushing a stroller and carrying a sleeping child. Also the path flooded just before you reach the Tuvalu entrance and took ages to drain away and dry out.
7) The Poly elevators. In the GCH there are only two and given people are going to/from the second floor for the monorail or dining/shopping options it seems a tiny number. Additionally we saw a lot, and I mean a lot, of fit people who didn't need to use an elevator but chose to, which added to delays for us (we had a stroller with child in it) and may others who had strollers, wheelchairs, ECVs or walking aids. Also the GCH elevators grotty inside, and I mean grotty. In our longhouse the elevators were tiny and we could barely fit two adults and two kids (one in a stroller) inside.
8) The beige/taupe Polynesian Resort Hawaiian shirts were only in stock in a medium and the CMs had no idea when other sizes were due in. At no point during our stay did I see any other sizes for adults. Surely they're missing a trick here!!

General comments on our trip:

Things we liked:
1) The CMs were very good.
2) The weather was very good and the thunderstorms didn't bother us too much.
3) We loved all four Disney Parks.
4) The character interactions we had were fantastic, especially Anna and Elsa! Our daughter (who was five on 8/21) and Elsa played peek-a-boo with our 18 month old son using Elsa's dress to hide behind.
5) Biergarten Restaurant at Epcot (Germany) was very, very good and we met a lovely family from Seattle who were at our table.
6) Visible improvements to Downtown Disney/Disney Springs, although there is a lot more to go!
7) Some nice shopping bargains at a number of places.
8) The food at Hollywood 'n' Vine was far far better than on any previous visit. I'd happily do breakfast here again next time.
9) Our daughter getting signed birthday cards from the Big Five at Chef Mickey's and from Belle and Beast at Be Our Guest.

Things that bothered us:
1) Boys and men walking out of the restrooms and not washing their hands. Especially out of the stalls!!! I can't believe people do this. I saw this constantly, both in Disney and outside. Nationality or ethnicity didn't seem to matter. They just didn't give a -----.
2) Linecutters. One on Under The Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid who used his young daughter as an excuse to cut past everyone in a 20 minutes line (standby), saying he was trying to get out, only to get past the second CM checkpoint and skip round a whole load more people to jump onto the ride. Another in the FP+ line for TSMM at HS. The family in front of us let another family in line in front of them as "their fast passes were valid from that exact time". Annoying when you've lined up for 5-10 minutes already. Go to the back like everyone else, people!
3) Poor service at the Michael Kors outlet in Vineland Road Premium Outlets.
4) Traffic chaos at Downtown Disney on a Saturday evening. We ended up going back to the Poly via Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf and went to DD another day in the morning, which was way more relaxed.

Most amusing thing I saw (at least to my slightly warped, British sense of humour):
I had just parked the stroller outside Hollywood 'n' Vine for our breakfast and was walking back along the raised "verandah" waiting area towards the entrance to the restaurant. An elderly lady (in her 60's or 70's I'd say) came along in her ECV, possibly at about 10mph. Too fast, anyway, for where she was riding and where she was going. As she approached the last of the strollers lined up and spied a a parking spot for her ECV she did a hard left turn to drive up towards the dwarf wall and promptly drove into the wall with a large bang as she had completely forgotten to use the brakes! Cue a lot of sniggering from me and few others who saw what happened. A CM rapidly appeared on scene and helped her off the ECV. And she was fine. He then gave a quick crash-course (LOL, pun intended) in how to use the darn ECV properly.

Given the increasing number of these things flying around the paths of WDW, perhaps some sort of licensing is needed (perhaps with some breathalyser tests too for good measure)!

Thanks for the wonderful review. We had stayed at the Poly for our first time from 8/15 to 822. DS just loved the place. We had stayed on the third floor in the Rarotonga building. I had requested the non construction side, but didn't get it. At least we really didn't notice any noise and was able to view the fireworks from our balcony. The one thing that really bothered me was walking down the stairs from the third floor. The second level was the place where everyone was allowed to sit and smoke. It was awful passing through that area on some days. I'm not picking on the smokers, but I think a better designated area would be better.

Oh and the other big "low" of our trip was on our final day when we were walking through Fantasyland at MK past Peter Pan towards the Carousel. A father was telling off his son of 5 or 6 years old (my best guess) quite vocally and then suddenly started spanking him on his backside about half a dozen times as they were walking along.

I have my own opinions of the rights and wrongs of spanking children (I grew up in a house where we were spanked if we were naughty) but I would not spank my child in the Magic Kingdom of all places, whilst on vacation. There would be more appropriate times to dish out suitable punishment to your child, surely, whether that is a spank or some other punishment.

No matter what that kid did, he didn't deserve that in that place.

Just back from 8 FANTASTIC days at the Polynesian (CL GV). :sunny: Here is a link to the LIVE report that I've been posting to.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/live-from-the-polynesian-gv-cl-aug-24-sept-1.3441268/

I just started reading your report (finally catching up after returning home/kids starting school yesterday) and saw your view from room pic and realized we were RIGHT NEXT DOOR to you!! Our family was in 3530 - the one with the Mickey banner hanging from the door Aug 22-28!

Thank goodness for those palm trees, huh? When we looked toward the palm it hid the mud pit that was just to the left. But you know what my husband said when he saw that? He doesn't mind because sometimes it has to get a little ugly for progress to be made. And that it's going to be beautiful when it's done. Now he (we) can't wait to go back next year to see the transformation!

Can't wait to finish your report - I'm looking for our fam in your pictures :goodvibes Sorry about any noise during the many light saber fights the boys had!!! :blush:

I just started reading your report (finally catching up after returning home/kids starting school yesterday) and saw your view from room pic and realized we were RIGHT NEXT DOOR to you!! Our family was in 3530 - the one with the Mickey banner hanging from the door Aug 22-28!

Thank goodness for those palm trees, huh? When we looked toward the palm it hid the mud pit that was just to the left. But you know what my husband said when he saw that? He doesn't mind because sometimes it has to get a little ugly for progress to be made. And that it's going to be beautiful when it's done. Now he (we) can't wait to go back next year to see the transformation!

Can't wait to finish your report - I'm looking for our fam in your pictures :goodvibes Sorry about any noise during the many light saber fights the boys had!!! :blush:

We saw the banner and thought it looked really great!!! Never heard a sound. Now I can say that I "know" the people staying in the rooms on either side of us because a family we met in the lounge and who also posts on Tikiman's FB page was/is in 3532. "It's a small world afterall...." lol

All 3 of those rooms have great palm tree placement! lol And I can't wait to go back once that pool is complete, too! :sunny:

Checking in to the Poly on September 15, and it will be my first time staying there. Have stayed at the Contemporary twice (once in the 80s and once 8 years ago), and love being on the monorail, so decided to try the Poly. It will just be me and my 10 year old daughter and she thought the Poly's volcano pool looked much more fun than the Grand Floridian's pool, so Poly it is!

My question -- I know nothing about the buildings and which ones are more desirable than others. Factor in the construction and I feel like a complete newbie (which I guess I am). I booked a standard garden view room, so I'm hoping you experienced DIS-ers can give me your thoughts/opinions on the best buildings and rooms.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter