Disney's new smoking policy (?)

alot of bus stops had ashtrays at both ends of the benches. Which I thot odd.and I am a smoker. If there were ashtrays at your bus stop then the smoker felt it was ok to light up I would think.

-------------------------

Wouldn't that be the perfect world? ;) If both sides would work together there wouldn't be a need for conversations like this..

I like your wisdom. I have come to the conclusion on this boad that yes
there are and always will be inconsiderate smokers. that are very defensive. And they can be rude. On the other hand the ex-smoker {some} and the nonsmoker can be just as arrogant. Nobody will ever be happy with the smokers. but this is life. I read your good inputs and you make good sense. Some non-smokers have issues with the smokers and smokers have issues with some nonsmokers. What ya going to do? Just to lighten everything up.
I am just hoping they still have that delicious bread pudding at Ohanna!!! lol

My mistake. I didn't realize smjj was talking about someone smoking IN a smoking area. No, I would not say anything to a smoker or a CM in that case. The situation I referred to in the park was in a non-smoking area. My apologies.

I don't think she was referring to the parks at all. She was talking about waiting for the bus when smokers were still free to smoke where ever they wanted at the resorts. It is one of the main reasons why I am so glad the resorts are doing something. Because as a non-smoker it was hard, the smokers had the run of the resorts. Sure you could ask them to stop, some would too; but if you got a defensive smoker, you could get your head bitten off.

She wasn't complaining about them smoking in the smoking section though, she was complaining that the whole resort area was a smoking section, I think?

I don't think she was referring to the parks at all. She was talking about waiting for the bus when smokers were still free to smoke where ever they wanted at the resorts. It is one of the main reasons why I am so glad the resorts are doing something. Because as a non-smoker it was hard, the smokers had the run of the resorts. Sure you could ask them to stop, some would too; but if you got a defensive smoker, you could get your head bitten off.

She wasn't complaining about them smoking in the smoking section though, she was complaining that the whole resort area was a smoking section, I think?

Thanks you, YOU explained my position better than I did.:rotfl2: Oh and by the way, she is he. I am the one with the white DCL shirt on in out signature photo..smjj

Why would you ask a smoker not to smoke where a smoker could smoke? :confused3

Why would you ask a smoker not to smoke where a smoker could smoke? :confused3

This would be my question. For the life of me I'll never understand. IF someone is smoking in a smoking area(such as in the past of the bus stop where ash trays were located)... what is the problem? :confused3 At that point in time, if you don't like the smoke... then it is the non smokers obligation to move.

This would be my question. For the life of me I'll never understand. IF someone is smoking in a smoking area(such as in the past of the bus stop where ash trays were located)... what is the problem? :confused3 At that point in time, if you don't like the smoke... then it is the non smokers obligation to move.

It wasn't a smoking area, it wasn't a non-smoking area. Before the change in policy, Disney assumed like the rest of the country that courtsey would rule.
Some here are getting hung up on the ashtrays assuming it is a green light to puff away and non-smokers have no right to complain. These ashtrays, like trash containers were placed at the bus stops to keep the ground from being littered with butts or having them tossed into the trash containers and start a fire. It was not Disney saying, "go aheard and puff away". Its Disney trying to keep the area clean. All I am saying is this. We were there first, if others come up and sit next to us and start smoking I have the right to ask politely if they would refrain or move a little further down away from us. Do you smoke next to your kids?? As you will recall, we did not ask them to move, we moved to avoid the confortation. That all I am saying here. From other post here and other threads, many smokers seem to aggree with this. I guess there are those that think they have the right to impose their habit on others no matter how it affects them...smjj

Oops sorry, insert he in the above where I wrote she. :)

In the case of the bus stop, move to where? There wasn't a smoking section and non-smoking section, just the bus stops where, like everywhere else at the resort, you could smoke. Want to smoke at the pool, go ahead, want to smoke outside on the balcony, go ahead. Don't smoke? Too bad. I have never asked anyone not to smoke where it was allowed. I dealt with it.

And these "why shouldn't the smoker smoke there" reactions are why I am glad there are now DSAs. I will have someplace to go now, and so will the smokers.

It wasn't a smoking area, it wasn't a non-smoking area. Before the change in policy, Disney assumed like the rest of the country that courtsey would rule.
Some here are getting hung up on the ashtrays assuming it is a green light to puff away and non-smokers have no right to complain. These ashtrays, like trash containers were placed at the bus stops to keep the ground from being littered with butts or having them tossed into the trash containers and start a fire. It was not Disney saying, "go aheard and puff away". Its Disney trying to keep the area clean. All I am saying is this. We were there first, if others come up and sit next to us and start smoking I have the right to ask politely if they would refrain or move a little further down away from us. Do you smoke next to your kids?? As you will recall, we did not ask them to move, we moved to avoid the confortation. That all I am saying here. From other post here and other threads, many smokers seem to aggree with this. I guess there are those that think they have the right to impose their habit on others no matter how it affects them...smjj

And yet you said earlier that it wasn't a non-smoking area. No, the green light was to smoke anywhere ouside of the parks including the bus stops. You are blaming smokers for Disney's past decision.

You say you have the right to ask them not to smoke because you were there first- well, why didn't you? You chose not to. Perhaps the situation could have been handled better by yourself by politely asking them not to smoke there as (fill in the blank). They wouldn't have known it bothered you until you said something. Perhaps, also they could have asked if it would have bothered anyone to smoke.

You are lumping all smokings into one category and I imagine that is why people are challenging your recent posts. Personally, if it were I that was smoking in a place that was not specifically for smoking (like a DSA) nor was non smoking and someone let me know that it was bothering them then I would have moved out of courtesy. And yes, not all smokers are considerate. But saying that you avoided a confrontation when you had no idea of what their reaction would have been to your request is very presumptive, and quite rude to smokers as a whole. You had a bad experience- just as smokers have bad experiences with non-smokers.

And courtesy would rule? Sure, but it goes two ways.

But saying that you avoided a confrontation when you had no idea of what their reaction would have been to your request is very presumptive, and quite rude to smokers as a whole. You had a bad experience- just as smokers have bad experiences with non-smokers.

And courtesy would rule? Sure, but it goes two ways.
----------------------------

So true..

smjj

Well I think we all know what happens when you assume something!
I just dont get what all the constant flack over this is about. This new policy has been in effect for 8 days now, and still people are not giving it a chance to settle in. Im sure WDW will take the necessary steps to iron out or tweak any problems that arise. GIVE IT TIME PEOPLE!!

Some here are getting hung up on the ashtrays assuming it is a green light to puff away and non-smokers have no right to complain. These ashtrays, like trash containers were placed at the bus stops to keep the ground from being littered with butts or having them tossed into the trash containers and start a fire. It was not Disney saying, "go aheard and puff away". Its Disney trying to keep the area clean.

I guess I would then be one of them. If Disney only had the ash trays out there to collect the butts... wouldn't there be some indication? Furthermore, if that was the case then where would they then be expecting the smoker to smoke? Um... "here's an ash tray but don't smoke here. It's only for your trash"? I have to disagree. If there is an ash tray then, to me, it would mean that it's okay to smoke there.
All I am saying is this. We were there first, if others come up and sit next to us and start smoking I have the right to ask politely if they would refrain or move a little further down away from us. Do you smoke next to your kids?? As you will recall, we did not ask them to move, we moved to avoid the confortation. That all I am saying here. From other post here and other threads, many smokers seem to aggree with this. I guess there are those that think they have the right to impose their habit on others no matter how it affects them...smjj

This I do agree with. If an area is not designated smoking or non and the non smoker was there first, then yes... they do have the right to politely ask for the smoker to move.

For some reason this really bothered you. Enough to remember it over a year later. But you didn't ask them to move and just assumed it would cause a confrontation. That, I find sad.

For some reason this really bothered you. Enough to remember it over a year later. But you didn't ask them to move and just assumed it would cause a confrontation. That, I find sad.

Actually no, it was no big deal then and really still is not. Its just this thread and other threads brought it back up and it was just something to post at the time in answer to a one of them. However, its taken on a life of its own I have to admit. As to the confortation, yes I said nothing, I did not want to take a chance it would create a confortation. If I had and it did, a different set of folks would be saying to me, why did you confront them on this, you ask for it and so on and so on. It's a never ending cycle. I do know this. Any and all comments on this thread are going to change no ones minds just create more back and forth post. Therefore I will retire from this thread and post to it no more..I do respect all comments and concerns on both sides and this is why these boards are so much fun....smjj :flower3: :flower3:

Actually no, it was no big deal then and really still is not. Its just this thread and other threads brought it back up and it was just something to post at the time in answer to a one of them. However, its taken on a life of its own I have to admit. As to the confortation, yes I said nothing, I did not want to take a chance it would create a confortation. If I had and it did, a different set of folks would be saying to me, why did you confront them on this, you ask for it and so on and so on. It's a never ending cycle. I do know this. Any and all comments on this thread are going to change no ones minds just create more back and forth post. Therefore I will retire from this thread and post to it no more..I do respect all comments and concerns on both sides and this is why these boards are so much fun....smjj :flower3: :flower3:

I completely agree with both of those statements! I have no illusions that anything said here will change anyone's opinion or which side of the fence they are on. :)

--------------------------

If there were ash trays located at the stop, wouldn't that indicate it's okay to smoke there? I think most people would assume that if there is an ash tray available it's okay to smoke - if there isn't, then it's a no smoking area -no signs needed..:confused3

:teacher: :idea:
Kerri

We just returned from POR. We were there from 5/27 to 6/6, we had a smoking room in lodge 18.

When 6/1 came and the ban went into effect (supposedly) the few ashtrays they did have scattered through the lodge (outside) all disappeared.
I asked at the front desk where the new smoking areas were and not one person knew.

No official notice was given to anyone staying there, no paper put under the door, no message left on phone, etc.
The only place they left ashtrays were: by the laundry room at the quiet pool.
outside the front of the general store, outside in a small area of the marina.

I saw smokers smoking wherever they were except now they are putting cigarettes out on the ground. Since no one "official" told me any differently while I was there I continued to smoke in my room and anywhere outside the resort. If I hadn't read on this board that smoking was going to be banned I wouldn't have known anything about it.

The smoking maps are very deceiving, there are not a lot of areas to smoke and not one is in a covered areas (at least at POR on the AB side). Each lodge is pretty big and in several areas there are 2 or 3 lodges with no smoking areas.

I have no problem with the smoking areas in the parks because of the huge amount of people around .
By taking away smoking rooms you are going to have smokers who smoke in whatever room they are in and all the rooms will eventually be smoking rooms at some point. There is no way anyone could "prove " that someone was smoking in a room (without surveilence cameras, is that next?) so any "fines" that are threatened are pointless.

We visited a few of the resorts after June 1st and very few smoking areas are in a covered area.
Many are a good walk from most rooms. If you are there with children and are used to smoking outside away from them you won't be able to smoke at all because it's too far from your room to be able to keep an eye on the kids.

I won't be staying on property again. While it is slightly more convenient to be on property I was never happy paying top dollar for a "so-so" room. If I'm spending thousands of dollars for vacation I will do it somewhere else with someone who will accommodate me and my bad habits.

We just returned from POR. We were there from 5/27 to 6/6, we had a smoking room in lodge 18.

When 6/1 came and the ban went into effect (supposedly) the few ashtrays they did have scattered through the lodge (outside) all disappeared.
I asked at the front desk where the new smoking areas were and not one person knew.

No official notice was given to anyone staying there, no paper put under the door, no message left on phone, etc.
The only place they left ashtrays were: by the laundry room at the quiet pool.
outside the front of the general store, outside in a small area of the marina.

I saw smokers smoking wherever they were except now they are putting cigarettes out on the ground. Since no one "official" told me any differently while I was there I continued to smoke in my room and anywhere outside the resort. If I hadn't read on this board that smoking was going to be banned I wouldn't have known anything about it.

The smoking maps are very deceiving, there are not a lot of areas to smoke and not one is in a covered areas (at least at POR on the AB side). Each lodge is pretty big and in several areas there are 2 or 3 lodges with no smoking areas.

I have no problem with the smoking areas in the parks because of the huge amount of people around .
By taking away smoking rooms you are going to have smokers who smoke in whatever room they are in and all the rooms will eventually be smoking rooms at some point. There is no way anyone could "prove " that someone was smoking in a room (without surveilence cameras, is that next?) so any "fines" that are threatened are pointless.

We visited a few of the resorts after June 1st and very few smoking areas are in a covered area.
Many are a good walk from most rooms. If you are there with children and are used to smoking outside away from them you won't be able to smoke at all because it's too far from your room to be able to keep an eye on the kids.

I won't be staying on property again. While it is slightly more convenient to be on property I was never happy paying top dollar for a "so-so" room. If I'm spending thousands of dollars for vacation I will do it somewhere else with someone who will accommodate me and my bad habits.
-----------------------

I really don't understand why Disney isn't making this information more readily available to their guests.. Is it because they have no intention of enforcing their own policy? Is it because they haven't taken the time to provide their employees with the information necessary? There are literally millions of people who visit WDW that are not members of the DIS and therefore don't have all of the information that we do.. It's not fair to the guests - and it will only increase the smokers vs. non-smokers issue.. I'm really disappointed in the way they are not handling this new policy.. Why have it if they aren't going to inform anyone of it? Makes no sense at all..:confused3 Hopefully they will get their act together soon and stop adding fuel to the fire..:sad2:

Hope you had a great vacation otherwise! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter