Disney's new hard ticket stratergy

jon18uk

DIS Veteran
It seems that instead of building new parks/rides the latest strategy to to make the most of what they have by adding more hard ticket events. With the new Food and Wine event (http://www.wdwmagic.com/events/inte...ng-to-this-year's-epcot-food-and-festival.htm) we have also had this year Harambe Nights, Epcot after-hours wind-downs, Frozen premium packages, Star Wars premium packages and Villains Unleashed as well as MNSSHP and MVMCP.

There was speculation that Disney had seen SeaWorlds success at Discovery Cove and wanted to attract that sort of customer who is willing to pay more for a more exclusive attraction and some wondered if the fifth park would offer this. But it seems they are trying to do it by adding extra events after-hours in existing parks or "VIP" packages for events instead.

I think these are generally good packages as long as they don't start inconveniencing other guests. Already the Magic Kingdom hard tickets are the most inconvenient for day guests, but as other pointed out, before these parties came along the park would often close at 8pm anyway.

For the new Food and Wine party, $79 for a DJ and six portions of food sounds expensive (aren't most food and wine dishes around $5?) but if alcoholic drinks are included then that would be better value but I'd expect some great entertainment for that price!

Yes I do see the positives of the hard ticket events and there are many that we would consider attending. It is however unfair to the day guests. When we went to California Adventure in May they had a private event starting as the park was closing. We were not allowed to walk by RSR as we left. Despite all the fun we had this is one of my biggest memories. They need to leave time between park closing and the events or people will be upset.

It's an enormous decision to do a new park. The bottom line may not be there yet or ever. Will guests stay longer for a new park? Or just skip a different park for the new park?

The hard ticket events may provide the means to get a new park in the future. In the meantime this gives guests more options for entertainment. Having an enhanced experience is a good thing.

No other amusement park companies are adding parks.

Yes I do see the positives of the hard ticket events and there are many that we would consider attending. It is however unfair to the day guests. When we went to California Adventure in May they had a private event starting as the park was closing. We were not allowed to walk by RSR as we left. Despite all the fun we had this is one of my biggest memories. They need to leave time between park closing and the events or people will be upset.

I believe if they did it that way, the day guests would get even less time in the parks. The special events would start at the same time, they would just make the day guests leave an hour or more earlier.

Yes, I've definitely noticed more hard ticket events in the last few years. And yes, it does impact the day guests. Last October I was at Disneyworld for 1 week, but due to the Halloween parties, there were only 2 nights that didn't have parties that week. Since I love nights at MK, I attended both non-party nights and it was so packed that you could barely move. SB lines were really long and overall, it was not enjoyable like it had been in the past.

But hey, we're talking about the "New Disney". How to make the most money by keeping the status quo and just giving the guest a ho-hum vacation. The one that wants all the money it can get but without adding the one thing that all guests want - new attractions. Boy, if Walt could see what they've done...

You forgot to mention "Villians Unleashed", which was a free event last year, and started as a one-off hard ticket event this year (but won't stay that way).

Yes, this is clearly Disney's strategy to upcharge for events. IF this appeals to you its fine. To me, it's great that they are having these events and getting people to pay inflated prices for them. It is my hope it allows them to keep ticket prices in check while still inflating profits. At least that is how I feel as someone not interested in paying all that extra money for minor events. They've already priced my interest out of MVCMP and MNSSHP, and the prices for Harambe Nights and many of the extra F&W events are a total turnoff to me. As you say, $79 for a couple of tastes and a DJ? Enjoy folks!

As long as these new events aren't going to take away from getting new attractions in the park, I'm fine with them. I'm not going to spend the money to go to them, but I'm fine with them. That being said, I think it might take away from getting those new attractions. Yes, we're getting Avatar in AK, and Disney Springs....but with the profit from these hard ticket events, will that make Disney more complacent to future projects? In other words...as long as they're making money on these events, will they feel like they don't need to do anything for Joe Average Tourist and family?

The Villians Unleashed last year was a disaster for CMS and guests alike. How they didn't think this would be popular makes no sense at all.

That night MK had MNSSHP, AK was closed, so the only real options if someone didn't go to MNSSHP was EPCOT or DHS or stay at your resort or home if you are locals. Staff was short at bag check at DHS, traffic was backed up for miles on I-4, Deputy Sheriffs were re-rerouting traffic. It was a total cluster.

This should have been a hard ticket event then and glad to see it is now.

In general though yes more and more events over the years pricing people out. This certainly is the "new" but not necessarily improved Disney.

The Villians Unleashed last year was a disaster for CMS and guests alike. How they didn't think this would be popular makes no sense at all.

That night MK had MNSSHP, AK was closed, so the only real options if someone didn't go to MNSSHP was EPCOT or DHS or stay at your resort or home if you are locals. Staff was short at bag check at DHS, traffic was backed up for miles on I-4, Deputy Sheriffs were re-rerouting traffic. It was a total cluster.

This should have been a hard ticket event then and glad to see it is now.

In general though yes more and more events over the years pricing people out. This certainly is the "new" but not necessarily improved Disney.

We were there, two hours on the bus between POP and Hollywood Studios. It was a disaster; crowds so thick that you couldn't move once you got there. We walked in, walked out, and went back to POP.

Yes, I've definitely noticed more hard ticket events in the last few years. And yes, it does impact the day guests. Last October I was at Disneyworld for 1 week, but due to the Halloween parties, there were only 2 nights that didn't have parties that week. Since I love nights at MK, I attended both non-party nights and it was so packed that you could barely move. SB lines were really long and overall, it was not enjoyable like it had been in the past.

But hey, we're talking about the "New Disney". How to make the most money by keeping the status quo and just giving the guest a ho-hum vacation. The one that wants all the money it can get but without adding the one thing that all guests want - new attractions. Boy, if Walt could see what they've done...

I've had about 40 trips since 1972 and not one has been ho-hum .
And Walt would love the two other parks beyond MK and his brain child EPCOT. And the water parks , the hotels, DVC , shopping district, golf and other sports....yes Walt would be extremely happy.

We were there, two hours on the bus between POP and Hollywood Studios. It was a disaster; crowds so thick that you couldn't move once you got there. We walked in, walked out, and went back to POP.

I was there too. I live close enough and was planning to meet some friends there. When I approached the first exit for WDW I wanted so badly to cut across the median and head back the other way ..I never would but believe me cars were doing just that on I-4. Finally got sent to Epcot to park and take a bus to DHS...what the heck was I thinking. I saw CMs begging people to let them on the bus because they were trying to get to DHS to work, they were in costume. Most people let them get on, others got really nasty. I too walked in walked out made my way to the car and kicked myself all the way home.

The comment about inflated prices could not be more wrong. Harambe Night for the price was a bargain. The food, both appetizers before the show, and after the show until 10:30 was amazing!! In addition, the show, the street entertainment was spectacular. Would I do it again if it was not sold out, you bet, in a heart beat. Its unfair to make general comments if you have not attended the events....just saying...

The comment about inflated prices could not be more wrong. Harambe Night for the price was a bargain. The food, both appetizers before the show, and after the show until 10:30 was amazing!! In addition, the show, the street entertainment was spectacular. Would I do it again if it was not sold out, you bet, in a heart beat. Its unfair to make general comments if you have not attended the events....just saying...

Sorry, you are right, I didn't go to Harambe Nights. It SEEMS expensive for my wife and I to go out for the evening for $250, even at Disney World.

IMHO, the hard ticket price are inflated versus what you get. They were $50 about 5 years ago and are now $75. Of course, people are still going, so I suppose there are plenty of people that disagree with me.

Looks like I am in the minority
We fly to Orlando every year just for Mickeys Halloween Party
Yes we end up making a week of it but we go for the halloween party.

but as the father of a disabled child They are worth every Penny

Here I will make my case

Lets use 2014 prices

a 7 day MYW base ticket is about $340 after taxes. That works out to about 48.57/day and they are open 9AM -9 PM In October
Thats 12 hours or just over $4.5/hour of Fun

The 2014 price for Mickeys Halloween party is $64 which gets you into the Park at 4PM- Midnight. or 8 hours of Fun Coming in at $8 / hour

Sounds Expensive but when you look at the difference in crowd there is no comparison.

Little to no lineups at most rides
Last year we did splash mountain 3 times in a row without even getting off the ride.

We walked into Beasts castle (Which just opened) for a meal with no reservation etc. ...etc...etc

We can fit more attractions in 8 hours at the Halloween party than we can in 12 of their "Regular hours"

On top of that We all get to Dress up and trick or treat.....the exclusive Character greetings....one year They let us into Fantasy land prior to it's official opening etc....etc....etc....

I cant speak to the other events as I have not attended most of them. We were at Villains unleashed at DHS last year and it was absurd..... Not the place for children let alone a disabled child. He was knocked down multiple times by the crowds of people. The hard ticket option would certainly help them maintain a little more control.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter