Disney's Magical Express - anyone plan on using this?

Doctor P said:
I also think that this is a tradeoff for the apparent reduction in the discounts available for onsite accomodations. I think they are going for a strategy of "pay more, get more" and making sure that people who stay onsite get clear benefits for the money they spend. This appears to be very consistent with the ticket changes, extra magical hours, etc. that have been announced.
I think that this is simply one more way to make sure that guests - and their dollars - are "held captive" by WDW. Trip from MCO/OIA to WDW and back: free. Use of WDW Transportation to get anywhere on-site: free. Keeping as many guests as possible "stranded" at WDW and away from other Orlando theme parks / stores / attractions: priceless. ;)

ITA. Not a bad strategy given the increased competition.

I would definitely use it for the times where it's just myself and my daughter -

Short stays where grocery stop might not be necessary and might not have a rental either. I am sure it will come in handy for some of us here and there (Is it available to DVC members?).

I would probably use it just to the resort, but on return, I would use a towncar, we never rent a car, just get a taxi for grocery or usually the towncar on the way in. But I don't like to leave 2-3 hours before my flight, go around to different resorts, etc. But upon arrival, I would definately use it.

Our next family trip isn't until November. I'm waiting to hear reactions. We spent over $300 on Towncars last trip. We had family arriving at different times. This would be a big money saver. We would probably rent a car for a day at the Dolphin for our grocery shopping.

Horace Horsecollar said:
The big question is, how will this "complimentary airport shuttle service" be funded?

If this service is funded by the Disney-owned resorts, then each resort's operating budget will take a hit. The upside for the Disney-owned resorts is that the value of this service is likely to increase occupancy levels and decrease the need for discounting, thereby improving yield and providing the funding for the service.

But, do you remember you pays the operating costs, including transportation costs, for DVC resorts? Yep. That's you and me, the DVC members. So, for DVC members, Disney’s Magical Express service will hit our annual fees whether we use the service or not, or else the service won't be available to DVC members staying on points (except possibly as an optional not-complimentary service).

Of course, it's possible that the funding will be handled differently. On-site parks, shops, and restaurants are likely to benefit, as the captive audience won't have ready access to off-site attractions, off-site shopping, and off-site dining. So maybe Disney’s Magical Express will at least be subsidized or possibly even fully funded by the various WDW business entities that stand to benefit from the captive audience.

By the way, here's the Orlando Sentinel article (requires registration): http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...ggage,0,782286.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

And here's the full press release: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041228/fltu007_1.html

I read the "complimentary airport shuttle service" in a different light. I expect that you will pay for the luggage transfer service and that the airport shuttle service will then be described as complimentary! That way, people who use a towncar service or rent a car might still pay to have their luggage transferred. It will be interesting to see if my speculation on this is correct.

Ralph

Note added: now that I've taken the time to read the press release, I see that the service is to be complimentary during the first 18 months (for the celebration). Costs after that time have not been announced!

If it were possible to do just the luggage transfers without the transportation at reasonable cost, I'd consider it. We always rent a car, so have little use for Mears, but luggage transfers and resort airline check-in services would be great.

I can't imagine your speculation is right, but we'll see.

Doctor P said:
I also think that this is a tradeoff for the apparent reduction in the discounts available for onsite accomodations. I think they are going for a strategy of "pay more, get more" and making sure that people who stay onsite get clear benefits for the money they spend. This appears to be very consistent with the ticket changes, extra magical hours, etc. that have been announced.

I think you are absolutely correct-- especially with the rumors on the resort boards that Disney will no longer offer codes and will even reduce AP discount offerings. Something like this is not "free" it is being paid for somehow or being offered to boost sales at resorts. Too many people were getting wise to package deals and booking things separately. This is just Disneys newest strategy. I hope it works for DVC as well- Im just not sold on it yet.

ClarabelleCow said:
But I don't like to leave 2-3 hours before my flight, go around to different resorts, etc.
Keep in mind that the airlines are still asking passengers to arrive at the airport 2 hours before the scheduled flight time.

Leaving WDW 2 3/4 hours before a flight seems reasonable to me. That should get you to the airport about 2 hours before flight time. Then, you still need to check in, pass through security, take the train to your airside, and walk to your gate. Depending on the waits for each of these, that can easily take 30 minutes.

So, if everything goes normally, you'll arrive at the gate about one hour before the plane begins boarding (which typically starts 30 minutes before departure time). That hour gives you a time to eat a meal because domestic coach flights generally no longer provide food (except as a paid option on some flights on some airlines). And if you run into any unexpected delays, such as traffic congetion due to an accident or unually long security lines, that hour provides a buffer so that you won't miss your flight.

My DF and I used to use Mears exclusively when visiting WDW. Service was so-so, but was cheaper than a taxi and more convenient. We certainly didn't like being crammed in, didn't like all the stops, and sometimes there was a little bit of a wait, but no major complaints.

That was until we found DIS. On the advice of the members, for our most recent trip, we commissioned town car service.

Now, I'm like the second cheapest guy in the world. I used to see those guys in suits holding signs at the airports for travellers. I used to think, "Gee, must be nice to be able to afford a personal driver and car. I wish *I* could afford that!"

Turns out, THAT was the cheap way! Who knew! (yeah, I know - YOU all knew!) ;)

So, our last trip, (we took my parents), we had our personal driver, holding a sign with our name, help us with our bags, and drive us straight to our resort in a comfortable Lincoln Town Car. When my parents first saw the sign, they said, "Hey, look! We must have relatives here." When they found out it was for us, I got two responses. First was from my father (the cheapest guy in the world) who basically flipped out - "Are you crazy spending all that money! The shuttle is only $12! We're not rich, you know!" Then, I told him the price and how it was cheaper to use the Town Car service than to take the shuttle (or a taxi), not to mention the comforts and the convenience. The second response was pure magic! What a great way to start the vacation, being chauffered to WDW. Although, the consumate pessimist, my father got upset that we didn't learn of this great service sooner!

So, now the question begs, do we take the shuttle, which may take us an extra 40 minutes by the time we get to our resort, crammed with strangers, that may or may not leave on time, making several stops, with screaming kids - but it's FREE.
OR
Do we spend $100, get to our resort faster in a nice air-conditioned Lincoln, with my luggage taken care of, my legs stretched out, make a pit-stop at the grocery store, if I like, and start/end my vacation in style.

If I wasn't so "frugal", this would REALLY be an easy choice! I'm leaning (believe it or not) to the Town Car service. I'll be sure NOT to tell my father that the shuttle is now free, because I'll never hear the end of it!

Tiffany, don't worry. Looks like you'll still have MY business!

Not sure if it had been confirmed yet... But I just got a message from member services.

From a email recieved from member services:

--------

Thank you for contacting Member Services.

Yes. With the exception of Disney's Vero Beach Resort and Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, all Disney Vacation Club Resorts are included in Disney's Magical Express.

Have a great day,
xxxxx @ Member Services

---------

It is an option.

DIGGER68 said:
Not sure if it had been confirmed yet... But I just got a message from member services.

From a email recieved from member services:

--------

Thank you for contacting Member Services.

Yes. With the exception of Disney's Vero Beach Resort and Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, all Disney Vacation Club Resorts are included in Disney's Magical Express.

Have a great day,
xxxxx @ Member Services
It is an option.

I know I'm probably nitpicking here, but could they just mean that the resorts are included-that is, if you've booked with cash, through CRO, not with points? I find it really hard to believe that this service is totally free, even to Members staying on points. And I'll bet all the other transportation companies and the businesses between MCO and WDW were more than a little upset about this.

---------

To save us trips to the airport, some of our Grand Gathering people used Mears one way. Others used a great one way car rental using the drop off at the Swan/Dolphin, so I'm guessing that we will be using this service for some of our guests on some of our trips!

Bobbi :D

Horace Horsecollar said:
Keep in mind that the airlines are still asking passengers to arrive at the airport 2 hours before the scheduled flight time. [...]
Not really. I checked southwest.com (one of the few profitable airlines ;)) and, with the exception of Las Vegas and Sacramento, they only state either 1 or 1.5 hours. northwest.com says 1 hour 15 minutes for all domestic. Didn't bother to check the rest, but I'd bet they're similar. In any case, we never leave our resort more than a few hours before departure time, and that includes rental return time....

I think they are for DVC stays on points. Heck, they want us to stay on property and not go over to other non disney parks as much as the next guest. I too agree that other transportation companies will be upset but I think that after the initial offering, they will start to charge for this and when the dust settles, those that use rental cars and private car servies will continue to do us. Let's face it on the trips when I get in at 11 pm with my family, I am going to want the assurance that there will be someone there to pick us up.

Sounds great but I find it hard to believe there will not be a cost. Royal Carribbean Cruise line charges $15 per person for the service. :flower1:

Simba's Mom said:
I know I'm probably nitpicking here, but could they just mean that the resorts are included-that is, if you've booked with cash, through CRO, not with points? I find it really hard to believe that this service is totally free, even to Members staying on points. And I'll bet all the other transportation companies and the businesses between MCO and WDW were more than a little upset about this.

---------

It doesnt seem as though they are restricting it to cash only. I am sure their strategy is to make people think twice about renting a car and therefore think twice about visiting anywhere of site, be it dcv's or not.

I bet you are right too about all the other companies. Hey could be good all the way around, might result in better rates and deals for car rentals.

bgerner said:
Sounds great but I find it hard to believe there will not be a cost. Royal Carribbean Cruise line charges $15 per person for the service. :flower1:

theres no direct charge happening for now anyway. Maybe they will revisit that idea after the initial trial period.

I hate to be cynical, but this is "Free" like use of Disney Transportation is "Free". Here's my $.02:

Disney is expecting a lot of new and/or infrequent visitors to come to WDW for the big 50th Birthday celebration. This "Magical Express" will not only impress folks by being "free", but will also keep these folks from straying; in essence, it's like DCL - once you're at the dock (MCO/OIA), you're totally in Disney's control. They will be evaluating things like how many days of your stay did you visit a Disney park, how many folks used a rental vs ME, etc. After the Celebration is over, if it appears to be popular and profitable, Disney has enough clout to either create their own shuttle fleet or negotiate a great deal with Mears. Also, it can either remain free (again, if it increases sales in some ways), be a low priced option to your room, or simply have it baked into a package. This won't appeal to us most of the time, but I can see the benefit if multiple people are arriving at different times, or several other situations.

However, if Disney manages to set up a Gate 9 3/4 at MCO/OIA so that, when we walk through the gift shop wall, we see a huge, gleaming steam engine pulling "The Magcial Express", then I might reconsider.... ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter