Disney's Half Marathon

IluvKingLouis

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking about making this a goal for next January. In the past I've walked 10Ks, and would love it if they had a 10K, but looks like I'll need to really push myself for this.

Here's my question. Even when I was in good shape, running just did not agree with my body, but I could speed walk. Is this allowed? Grant it, I won't be as fast as the runners. Is there a time limit that you have to complete the course?

I'm hoping that if I set this as a goal, I'll be more focussed on working out and bringing up my endurance.

Hi there...

I'm not an expert in this, but I DO know that the pacing requirements are 16 minutes per mile. And I also know that there a plenty of people around the boards who walk it. If you check out the subforum here (Events/Competition) you will find threads about Marathon walkers.

I've made this a goal for myself also for 2011. I will probably do a combo of jogging and walking, but as long as the pace is at least 16 mins per mile, then I meet the requirement to finish. If you fall below that pacing, you get "swept" (though what I understand is that the "sweepers" do everything they can to avoid sweeping you, because they WANT you to finish).

I hope this helps you! :flower3:

Hi there...

I'm not an expert in this, but I DO know that the pacing requirements are 16 minutes per mile. And I also know that there a plenty of people around the boards who walk it. If you check out the subforum here (Events/Competition) you will find threads about Marathon walkers.

I've made this a goal for myself also for 2011. I will probably do a combo of jogging and walking, but as long as the pace is at least 16 mins per mile, then I meet the requirement to finish. If you fall below that pacing, you get "swept" (though what I understand is that the "sweepers" do everything they can to avoid sweeping you, because they WANT you to finish).

I hope this helps you! :flower3:

Thanks for the info! I tend to walk a 17 minute mile when I'm in shape. So this will be challenging for me to shave off an extra minute. I blame it on being 5'3' with short legs! :lmao:

I like your idea of jogging some and walking some. Glad to hear not everyone runs it straight through. And it's nice that they try to accomodate the slow pokes! :thumbsup2

Yes Disney is an awesome race with all kinds of on course support. They certainly allow speed walking, and I'd say a very significant fraction, if not more than half the field is there strictly to walk the race. If you add in jogging half a mile every 10 minutes or so that should get you well under 16 minute/mile

Yes Disney is an awesome race with all kinds of on course support. They certainly allow speed walking, and I'd say a very significant fraction, if not more than half the field is there strictly to walk the race. If you add in jogging half a mile every 10 minutes or so that should get you well under 16 minute/mile

I'm a pretty slow jogger! This might slow me down! :rotfl2:

I will start practicing doing both here at home.

You can do it! If I can do it.. anyone can do it! :lol
I just registered for the 2011 1/2 and I just started jogging. I have a year to train right. I am not a runner, but I would like to be. I am going the couch to 2K program right now.. and will work my way to running a 5K, then a 10K and then the 1/2 in January! Good luck and you can do it! :thumbsup2

You can do it! If I can do it.. anyone can do it! :lol
I just registered for the 2011 1/2 and I just started jogging. I have a year to train right. I am not a runner, but I would like to be. I am going the couch to 2K program right now.. and will work my way to running a 5K, then a 10K and then the 1/2 in January! Good luck and you can do it! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the encouragement DisneyBound.

I have desperately been trying to get in shape, and feel part of my problem is that I don't have a time goal to commit to. DH has told me to sign up for this now so I can have something to focus on. :scared1: I hate wasting money, so if I sign up, I darn well better do this!

I know that would help me stick to work out goals, but I've never been a runner, and the last few years my asthma has really acted up. I know this type of training would be great, but I have some big hurdles to overcome.

Come on over to the Events/Competiton sub-forum! There's a lot of great info about Disney races there, as well as a lot of support and encouragement. I just successfully completed the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge (half marathon on Saturday and full on Sunday) "just" walking. It can definitely be done!

you can definately do it! my 54 year old mother who has NEVER run before in her life did the 1/2 and ended up running 3/4 of the way! when she trained she power walked abut 3/4 of the time and jogged the other 1/4th but with the adrenaline and everything else she really ushed it and did great. You have SO much time to train, I bet you will be running a lot more than walking by next January!

My goal is the Princess half-marathon in March 2011 - IF it's the first weekend, as it is in 2010. I will also be walking it, because I don't know if my joints could take running at my age! :lmao:

Yep in 2005 I walked the majority of it with some spurts of running - but definately mostly speed walking. Just work on trying to keep your walking around a 14 min mile. You can do it definately :)

It was one of the best things I ever did for myself.

I will definitely have to incorporate some bursts of running/jogging. I simply can't do a 14 minute mile. Seventeen minutes is doable, so I'm going to try to shave that down to 16 and run just a bit.

It's snowing here today, so I think my workout will be in the basement on the Nordic Track Ellipse.

How is everyone doing that's currently snowed in? Do you have an alternate work out?

I too am going from a non-runner to going to try and run the 1/2 marathon in January. We are in Wisconsin so it is too cold and snowy (at least for me) to run outside. I have been doing the treadmill every other day - I am up to a 3 mile run at a 14 minute pace.

It is really encouraging to read that many people walk part of the race. I am really nervous about getting "swept"....

I too am going from a non-runner to going to try and run the 1/2 marathon in January. We are in Wisconsin so it is too cold and snowy (at least for me) to run outside. I have been doing the treadmill every other day - I am up to a 3 mile run at a 14 minute pace.

It is really encouraging to read that many people walk part of the race. I am really nervous about getting "swept"....

Congrats on your 14 minute miles! I too worry about being swept, but DH tells me he will be proud of me for attempting this regardless of whether or not I finish. Hearing that helped.

Even when I was in pretty good shape, my body never liked it when I took up running (shin splints and achy knees). So I've always been content with walking briskly for my exercise. But I'm definitely going to need to jog a bit to average a 16 minute mile.

I just signed up for the 1/2 as well. I am 100+ pounds overweight right now, so that is a HUGE hurdle, but I am determined to do this. I told everyone I know and started a blog (see link below) so I am less likely to give up. (It would be really embarassing to have to tell people I gave up). I just started using the GoWear Fit to help me manage my weight loss and love it so far.

I am really going to try to run it. I am working on a Conservative Couch to 5K program that, if things go well, should have me running steadily 30 min at a time by mid August. A couple of weeks later, I plan on moving into a half marathon training program which will gradually increase the mileage each week.

As short term goals, I signed up for the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure 5k in my area for June, which I hope to be able to run half. I also signed up for a 10k at the end of October.

The amount of support I am getting from friends and coworkers is overwhelming. One friend is even considering joining me.

I definitely say go for it! If you don't at least try, you will always wonder if you could have done it.

mcrabek - What part of Wisconsin? Madison here...I am really looking forward to spring so I can start hitting some of the trails in the area and get off my treadmill. I love the thing, but after a while, I need a change of scenery :)

Roselark,
Thanks for your post. I'm glad to know that other newbies with big goals will be tackling this.

I'm headed to the rec center in an hour to time my speed on the treadmill. I hope to go for 3 miles. I'm also planning to do a little on the weight machines.

Roselark- What a coincidence- I too am from Madison- the Fitchburg area! Samll world. That will be super cool if we are both able to do our first 1/2 marathon in January!

I haven't signed up for any local runs yet but was looking at a 10K this fall as well.

Hopefully Spring will be here soon- I too am anxious to get outside. Coworkers are telling me that it is harder when you run outside??? I guess we need to just keep plugging away....

I have also heard it's harder to run outside. The sidewalk/pavement surface is tougher on your body, and you might be running into a breeze, etc.

My strategy is to speed walk and jog on a treadmill to build up my endurance and speed, and to briskly walk in the neighborhood to get some outdoor training. Then I hope to increase the duration and intensity of my outdoor training. I'd like to lose weight first, before I shift from low intensity to higher intensity on pavement. I'm sure if I'm lighter, that would be easier on my knees and joints.

I was able to average a 16 minute and 18 second mile yesterday for 33 minutes. That was at a brisk walk. I really hope with a little jogging I can shave that down to 15 mins. The real kicker is keeping that pace up for 13.5 miles!

Roselark- What a coincidence- I too am from Madison- the Fitchburg area! Samll world. That will be super cool if we are both able to do our first 1/2 marathon in January!

I haven't signed up for any local runs yet but was looking at a 10K this fall as well.

Hopefully Spring will be here soon- I too am anxious to get outside. Coworkers are telling me that it is harder when you run outside??? I guess we need to just keep plugging away....

Check out the Middleton Haunted Hustle Marathon Ghost Tour. I signed up for the 10k. It sounds like fun! :) Here is the link:
http://www.capitolviewevents.com/hauntedhustle.html

I have also heard it's harder to run outside. The sidewalk/pavement surface is tougher on your body, and you might be running into a breeze, etc.

My strategy is to speed walk and jog on a treadmill to build up my endurance and speed, and to briskly walk in the neighborhood to get some outdoor training. Then I hope to increase the duration and intensity of my outdoor training. I'd like to lose weight first, before I shift from low intensity to higher intensity on pavement. I'm sure if I'm lighter, that would be easier on my knees and joints.

I was able to average a 16 minute and 18 second mile yesterday for 33 minutes. That was at a brisk walk. I really hope with a little jogging I can shave that down to 15 mins. The real kicker is keeping that pace up for 13.5 miles!

Hey! Great job on the time reduction. You are almost there! :cool1:

I have heard that if you increase the incline on the treadmill, it will help prepare you for running outdoors. I normally use a 1-2% incline for my walking anyway so that I can up the calorie burn without increasing speed yet. For me, I think the hardest thing to adjust to will be pace setting since the treadmill does that for me right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter