Disney's Hacked email, question

Just as an aside- I did get hit with quite a bit of spam today. 3 emails telling me that I had 12 million dollars from an estate settlement.

According to Disney Destionations, allegedly it was just email addresses that they got, no personal information. That's happened to me before (I clicked on some stupid site on facebook about winning a free IPad that a friend of mine sent a link to, saying THEY got a free IPad.....but come to find out, it was a spam on their Facebook) and now I get around 50 spam emails a day....it's a pain in the rear end weeding through the spam to get to my legit email. :headache: it was my own fault though, trying to get something for nothing.

I received emails from Disney Destinations and Kroger yesterday. A few minutes ago, I received two more emails from Best Buy and Target. None of these are related to credit cards, thank goodness! :eek:

Here is an update, after I posted about what I had received the other day, I got an email from UPS. There was a virus in the attachment. Thankfully YAHOO would not let me open the attachment. I have gotten more emails from Home depot, Best buy, Target.

I only opened the UPS one because it said I have a package on the way. I shop on Amazon and everything is shipped via UPS. We also have a 4 month old and are still receiving gifts.

So please beware when opening emails from UPS.

So far I have gotten notices from Disney Destinations, Target and Best Buy :eek: Hopefully it is only e-mail information that the hackers got :furious:

What got hacked was actually a marketing company called Epsilon that many businesses happen to use for their email marketing campaigns. So the information that Disney, Best Buy, Target, etc gave to the marketing company would be the only information they have. Since Disney Destinations happens to do target emails they could have easily feed dates from saved itineraries, number of kids, etc to the email marketing company to target those audiences so that is how the hackers got your dates and such

Now of course I got one from Disney on 2 of my 3 email accounts so that just means my third account will never get a PIN :( not even on Disney's radar I guess (this is one I set up to just try to get a PIN)

I received notification from Disney yesterday and this morning I received a notice from Capital one as well.

My list of warnings about the Episilon hack include Disney, Best Buy and Hilton Honors. All places I do legit business with.

So this morning I open an email from Disney Destinations (because I have a reservation next week!) and it is about a reservation I never made.... So tell me how in the heck am I supposed to know (other than the obvious asking for personal information, things being suspect) that it isn't "real". That Disney reservation email has scared me.. because I opened it.. but it isn't anything I have done. I see the thought that it is on researched reservations but in all my years going to Disney.. I have NEVER ever received an email like this. Hello... Ugh... How much info do they REALLY have?

I would LOVE to know what the repercussions to Epsilon include. Privacy laws/data rules are on the increase and you would think an email service doing business with such large companies, with huge amounts of information would have tighhhhhht security. Are Disney and others leaving my email and information with Episilon? That's what I want to know. Fool me once, shame on you. Twice.. you know..

I think these companies that are hacked should change their email 'from' address so we know it isn't a spoof or hack. The inconvenience can't only be mine.

Anyway. Still love Disney. Hate hackers.

you can add chase and target to the list that episilon service
and you know the worst part of this is they proably service some groups that arent letting you know or there proably has been more emails lifted then they will admit too

Got some spam today where they used my FIRST and LAST name.
This is not good. :sad2:

I just received notification from Marriott and HHgregg this morning as well. So far though, I have not yet noticed an increase of any spam emails. This is exactly why I set up a secondary email address for merchants, I can close it up easily without having to inform all my personal contacts.

I also received notification from Target and TIAA-CREF. The TIAA-CREF one scares me, I really hope it was only email addresses.

I've gotten emails from Target, Tivo, Disney, Best Buy, and Chase. Two days ago I got to flight itineraries from Southwest - whom I've never flown. I hovered my mouse over it and it was for a name that was not mine to and from cities I have never been, nor do I plan on going to.

Besides that, I haven't really noticed any extra spam, but most goes to my Spam filter. These were all in my account that I use for business/message board email needed stuff, not my personal one.

Will you only have problems if you open or respond to the bogus e-mails?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter