• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

Had a short trip to GF recently. A brief report....

Arrived early afternoon on a weekend. Had not received the room ready text yet, so stored bags w/ Bell Services out front. Did a lap around the guest parking lot and it was totally full, meanwhile the valet lot (which is mostly unused at the moment) was wide open of course. I circled back front and asked the Bell Services CM what I should do. He offered to valet, so I was like sure! He did note that valet is technically still only for handicap assistance, but I appreciated his offer to help.

IMHO it seems Disney needs to adjust the regular/valet lot boundaries until valet goes back to normal, although probably only a problem on weekend days such as my situation.

We headed to the Beaches Pool, which was rather busy. Took a lap around to find a family leaving so we grabbed their chairs. Changed in the restroom, got sunscreen on, and of course then got the room ready text. :-) That was maybe 2:15pm'ish.

Booked Outer Building - Garden View, no requests submitted. Pleasantly surprised to receive a rare upgrade to Lagoon View. 5th Floor Conch Key. First time staying in that building.

Top floor room, so had the vaulted ceiling and dormer balcony.

View right....

View straight....

View left. Not sure what they have done with my Grand One yacht.

I like how these chairs are a little taller so you can see over when sitting.

This is picky but I sometimes think GF suffers from a bit of "fit and finish" things around the buildings. Roof lights on the buildings that have them are kind of spotty, a painter must have had a spill here whenever last repainted, a roof shingle in the gutter from somewhere. Obviously pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. Note, they were pressure washing building exteriors when I was there.

But overall this was a lovely spot to take in the view. The exterior background music can be heard, monorails whizzing by, people coming/going on the path. We did happen to catch an EWP test around 6:30pm one night. They play the whole thing FULL BLAST and the canal makes for a direct audio shot straight to this location. Kids loved it.

Some other things in the room....

Security warning next to the phone. I think the resorts are being hit with a lot of scam calls these days.

It would go below 68 without me looking up the override, which was nice. :-)

"Hey Steve, have some scratches here, what should we do?" "I donno, maybe a brown sharpie?" :-)

Some other things in the room....

View attachment 564002

Security warning next to the phone. I think the resorts are being hit with a lot of scam calls these days.
View attachment 564003

It would go below 68 without me looking up the override, which was nice. :-)
View attachment 564005

View attachment 564006

View attachment 564007

"Hey Steve, have some scratches here, what should we do?" "I donno, maybe a brown sharpie?" :-)
View attachment 564008
nice post ... thank you.....I'll be there in 16 days

Booked Outer Building - Garden View, no requests submitted. Pleasantly surprised to receive a rare upgrade to Lagoon View. 5th Floor Conch Key. First time staying in that building.

Top floor room, so had the vaulted ceiling and dormer balcony.
That was a great view. It probably would have been a little nicer to be one floor lower, so you would get a normal balcony. We had a dormer balcony room in Conch Key that faced Narcoossee's. It was a short trip so we didn't mind the dormer balcony. But I wouldn't want one again.
This is picky but I sometimes think GF suffers from a bit of "fit and finish" things around the buildings.
I felt the same way about the resort. There were things that didn't work right, like our shower head, or areas that weren't as clean as they should be, like the outside staircases. But I did like the fact that the room came with extra coffee K-cups. :)

I saved the not so great for last, sorry! We all have our little random travel things that start to get to us and that we probably make too big a deal about on things like online reviews. And I fully concede things one guest may find noticeable will be total non-issues for others. For me, I can't candy coat it - it's the GF bathrooms. We love the rooms, the layout, the comfy beds, etc. We love the GF grounds and recreation. But the bathrooms are starting to become a borderline fatal flaw for us. Not sure if it's there yet, but may be close. Once the two other monorail resorts are done with their refurbs, I'm really worried GF is going to stand out in this regard, in a not so good way.

This part is great... love it.

It's here where it falls apart for me. Every room I've had recently is just feeling a little gross in here. It's dark, multiple paint layers, poor re-painting jobs around the tile and corners. It's nothing horrible... just nothing all that.... grand? I think this design was fine for many, many years - it's just that things change, hotel styles evolve, other options become available. It's getting close to time here. Sorry for the rant.

I can't remember, are all the rooms like this or was this leftover from the NBA?

I can't remember, are all the rooms like this or was this leftover from the NBA?
The room we had at the end of January had a very tall showerhead. I'm tall but it was a stretch when I reached up to try and change the setting.

I agree with you about the bathroom. There isn't a light above the tub, which is really unforgiveable these days. But it is a nice, deep tub.

Just some final thoughts:

- Really love the MK walkway. Game changer IMO. As an AM runner, this has made Poly and GF a much more attractive option.

- While the resort seemed crowded, transportation was a breeze. Had a personal boat to MK not too long after rope drop one day. Hit the bus lottery and no wait coming or going to Epcot another day. Hate to say it, but I really don’t mind the bus from GF to Epcot vs the monorail.

- Ordered room service one night and Gaspy’s mobile order twice for breakfast. Waits were 30-45 mins for Gaspy’s AM for us, which were mainly at peak breakfast times.

- The grounds are really quite lovely in the spring/this time of year.

- Looking forward to the eventual return of the rest of the restaurants and the return of more evening vibe around the resort.

- All in all, it was a great stay!

I saved the not so great for last, sorry! We all have our little random travel things that start to get to us and that we probably make too big a deal about on things like online reviews. And I fully concede things one guest may find noticeable will be total non-issues for others. For me, I can't candy coat it - it's the GF bathrooms. We love the rooms, the layout, the comfy beds, etc. We love the GF grounds and recreation. But the bathrooms are starting to become a borderline fatal flaw for us. Not sure if it's there yet, but may be close. Once the two other monorail resorts are done with their refurbs, I'm really worried GF is going to stand out in this regard, in a not so good way.

This part is great... love it.
View attachment 564010

It's here where it falls apart for me. Every room I've had recently is just feeling a little gross in here. It's dark, multiple paint layers, poor re-painting jobs around the tile and corners. It's nothing horrible... just nothing all that.... grand? I think this design was fine for many, many years - it's just that things change, hotel styles evolve, other options become available. It's getting close to time here. Sorry for the rant.
View attachment 564011

View attachment 564016
Showers in some buildings were changed to that for NBA. We had one in Oct and I posted back then. Funny Oct seems so far away now???

Yep the bathrooms just look like a cheap hotel. DD loved the poly studio. That was so nice after GF last 2 visits.

Although at CR this weekend we are hoping for a new CR bath so we dont have to use the sinks as counters anymore. She labels one for water use and one for storage :rolleyes:

Thank you so much! Arriving in June and trying to decide what room request to make.
GF is so different from CR. For CR tower all the rooms have same balcony , same view each bookable category.

GF there is the dormer vs non dormer.

GV, LV or TPV

There is close to pool or not

SL and Conch are smaller buildings so you always closer to elevator.

Sago, BPK and BC can be a hike lol.

Also the gv's vary from facing the mono, marina, pools or trees.

I try not to stress about it. It is just hard to request what you want because it depends on what is available at check in.

However it doesnt hurt to have an idea of what you may like and if not assigned ask at check in.

:flower1:

GF is so different from CR. For CR tower all the rooms have same balcony , same view each bookable category.

GF there is the dormer vs non dormer.

GV, LV or TPV

There is close to pool or not

SL and Conch are smaller buildings so you always closer to elevator.

Sago, BPK and BC can be a hike lol.

Also the gv's vary from facing the mono, marina, pools or trees.

I try not to stress about it. It is just hard to request what you want because it depends on what is available at check in.

However it doesnt hurt to have an idea of what you may like and if not assigned ask at check in.

:flower1:

Thanks again! We have LV booked. BC seems to have some nice views. You're right about trying not to stress over it. I am trying not to stress myself. Easier said than done. We will only be at GF for 3 nights before changing to YC for 5 nights. I don't know why I worry so much. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter