Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

Hi all,

I was wondering if there are current prices anywhere online of the grocery items at Ft Wilderness. I'm trying to decided if I should order from Green Grocer (which adds a $14 delivery charge), or should I just buy things at the Fort. We would only be getting breakfast items, i.e. cereal, bagels, cream cheese, butter, pop tarts... and maybe a few snacks for the room. There will be 3 adults, 2 teens and one pre-schooler.

We just got back from a week in a Cabin at Fort Wilderness. There were six of us, DW and myself, 19, 18, 16, and 16. We were on the 2600 loop (which is a big loop). The loop is across from the quiet pool, and near a bus stop. Depending on where you are on the loop, these things could still be far away. DW and I had the Murphy bed in the living room, and the ''kids" had the bedroom. While it was tight, we knew it would be and were properly prepared. We had two cars, so we left one parked at the Cabin and the other in the overflow lot out front. One night, DW and I went off site for dinner, so having the car there was very nice.

We rented a golf cart from Tee Time Golf (Kenny's). I know Disney is doing their best to discourage outside companies, so I don't want to give all the details. However, we were very pleased and would definitely rent from them again in the future. They checked with us the day before we arrived to finalize the pick up arrangements, and again the day before we left to finalize the drop off. We used it to get to the bus stop, marina, store, check in, pool, etc. The only thing I would recommend is to make sure you have a map with you when you first get the cart. It is very easy to get lost, especially since the the signage at the four way stop in the center of FW does not have any direction for loops 2300 and up.

The transportation gods were with us all week. It seemed as soon as we got to the bus stop or marina, the particular bus or boat would arrive. We used bus service to Animal Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Downtown Disney. We used the boat service to Magic Kingdom and the Contemporary (for Chef Mickey's). I think the only negative was when the kids came back from MK one night when it closed at midnight. They just missed the boat, and the next boat stopped first at Wilderness Lodge. It took them about an hour from arriving at the dock at MK to arriving at FW.

We did Hoop Dee Doo one night, and did take out pizza another night. These were the only meals we had at FW all week, although DW and I enjoyed a drink at the bar one night. If anything is a negative about the resort to us is the lack food choices (if you don't want the buffet) and anything being open after 10:00 pm. We planned accordingly so not a huge negative. But it would have been nice to have some other options.

Since we only had the one golf cart, I would go to the marina to wait for the kids when they stayed out later than us. One night, there were two teen boys and two teen girls just talking in another cart. I could tell they just met each other at FW, but the boys could not get a sentence out with out dropping the F bomb. Other carts would come and go with families of young kids, and the boys kept talking. It would have been nice if they were a bit more respectful.

Housekeeping did a good job of cleaning during our stay. The final two days, she decorated with some of the stuffed animals we had. She had Stitch pulling a ton of toilet paper off the roll into the hallway and some others lined up to watch TV. The next night, the stuffed animals were placed on the floor playing cards. These were nice surprises when we arrived back.

Sorry for rambling on. Let me know if you have any questions. Oh, at the store, for breakfast items, the Entimens (sp?) is the same price as Publix. The smaller bottles of OJ were the same price as in the parks of about $3.50. The did have larger containers of OJ, but it was a kind that the family would not like.

There is a laminated list in the cabins maybe someone staying there now or soon could upload a photo of it.:)

There is a laminated list in the cabins maybe someone staying there now or soon could upload a photo of it.:)

I was going to take a picture, but I thought I read here that you can actually preorder your supplies. But looking back, I think I was getting that confused with the other store. Sorry about that.

Hi all,

I was wondering if there are current prices anywhere online of the grocery items at Ft Wilderness. I'm trying to decided if I should order from Green Grocer (which adds a $14 delivery charge), or should I just buy things at the Fort. We would only be getting breakfast items, i.e. cereal, bagels, cream cheese, butter, pop tarts... and maybe a few snacks for the room. There will be 3 adults, 2 teens and one pre-schooler.

I found these online from 2013. Not sure why I didn't make a picture of the current list in the cabin :confused3

We just got back from a week in a Cabin at Fort Wilderness. There were six of us, DW and myself, 19, 18, 16, and 16. We were on the 2600 loop (which is a big loop). The loop is across from the quiet pool, and near a bus stop. Depending on where you are on the loop, these things could still be far away. DW and I had the Murphy bed in the living room, and the ''kids" had the bedroom. While it was tight, we knew it would be and were properly prepared. We had two cars, so we left one parked at the Cabin and the other in the overflow lot out front. One night, DW and I went off site for dinner, so having the car there was very nice.

:cheer2: Glad y'all made it home safely!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Question....did you request 2600 or just take what you got?

We rented a golf cart from Tee Time Golf (Kenny's). I know Disney is doing their best to discourage outside companies, so I don't want to give all the details. However, we were very pleased and would definitely rent from them again in the future. They checked with us the day before we arrived to finalize the pick up arrangements, and again the day before we left to finalize the drop off. We used it to get to the bus stop, marina, store, check in, pool, etc. The only thing I would recommend is to make sure you have a map with you when you first get the cart. It is very easy to get lost, especially since the the signage at the four way stop in the center of FW does not have any direction for loops 2300 and up.

So glad this worked out for you. :thumbsup2 Good to know that it's still possible. I know what you mean about the sign :laughing: The first time we went, I had issues. Bet you're an ol' pro now:thumbsup2

The transportation gods were with us all week. It seemed as soon as we got to the bus stop or marina, the particular bus or boat would arrive. We used bus service to Animal Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Downtown Disney. We used the boat service to Magic Kingdom and the Contemporary (for Chef Mickey's). I think the only negative was when the kids came back from MK one night when it closed at midnight. They just missed the boat, and the next boat stopped first at Wilderness Lodge. It took them about an hour from arriving at the dock at MK to arriving at FW.

:thumbsup2 Happy to hear this, too. I think at all resorts it can be hit or miss. And you hear such differing opinions about the Fort, so this was good news....for the exception of the hour boat ride ;)

We did Hoop Dee Doo one night, and did take out pizza another night. These were the only meals we had at FW all week, although DW and I enjoyed a drink at the bar one night. If anything is a negative about the resort to us is the lack food choices (if you don't want the buffet) and anything being open after 10:00 pm. We planned accordingly so not a huge negative. But it would have been nice to have some other options.

How did y'all like the HDDR?? And I totally agree about not having some sort of quick service restaurant. Don't really understand why they don't. But like you, we had planned ahead and had stuff in the cabin.

Since we only had the one golf cart, I would go to the marina to wait for the kids when they stayed out later than us. One night, there were two teen boys and two teen girls just talking in another cart. I could tell they just met each other at FW, but the boys could not get a sentence out with out dropping the F bomb. Other carts would come and go with families of young kids, and the boys kept talking. It would have been nice if they were a bit more respectful.

Not cool, and I'm sure those kids thought they were all that :sad2:

Housekeeping did a good job of cleaning during our stay. The final two days, she decorated with some of the stuffed animals we had. She had Stitch pulling a ton of toilet paper off the roll into the hallway and some others lined up to watch TV. The next night, the stuffed animals were placed on the floor playing cards. These were nice surprises when we arrived back.

That's way too cute!!! I've never heard of them doing that! My kids would have loved it.

Sorry for rambling on. Let me know if you have any questions. Oh, at the store, for breakfast items, the Entimens (sp?) is the same price as Publix. The smaller bottles of OJ were the same price as in the parks of about $3.50. The did have larger containers of OJ, but it was a kind that the family would not like.

Don't apologize for rambling....we like rambling :laughing: Thanks so much for the very informative report:thumbsup2 Sounds like things went well for your family and you had a very magical visit!! :goodvibes

That would be great since the one I found is a year old. Disney does seem to increase their prices from year to year ;)

:cheer2: Glad y'all made it home safely!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Question....did you request 2600 or just take what you got?

We did not make any request. Since we were newbies, we just let things fall where they might. Our cabin did back up to Peacock Pass. When we first arrived, I was a bit concerned about hearing the road noise. I can gladly report that the road noise did not have any impact on our stay.

How did y'all like the HDDR?? And I totally agree about not having some sort of quick service restaurant. Don't really understand why they don't. But like you, we had planned ahead and had stuff in the cabin.

We had a great time at HDDR. We had also gone last year, and enjoyed it so much that we had wanted to go again. This time we were at the center table on the floor, so the cast surrounded us a few times. Our waitress was Nancy who made the evening even more enjoyable.

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question about the golf carts. We were scheduled to take our next trip nov/dec of 2015. We would be meeting up with DH's side of the family to spend 10 days at Fort Wilderness. We have never stayed there (although his brother and family stay there every trip) and DH/DD were super excited about the golf cart aspect.

Since we started planning this big trip last year we have gotten pregnant:yay: If our due date holds true we will be traveling during our 1 year olds b-day.

Is it still possible to use the golf carts with a one year old? I have heard you can put as many people on as long as their butt is in the seat. I was hoping to just wear him in a baby carrier or sit him in my lap. Will that be allowed?

We have 13 people. Three of the kids are small (4, 5, 7). Originally booked 4 rooms at POP. Would like to stay in Fort Wilderness cabins instead so we can cook, relax more, etc. I'm reading the thread thinking we will need golf carts...but can I rent two cabins and a campsite or one cabin and an RV from somewhere? Anyone done something like this or a combo to fit more than 12people. Trying to figure out the best plan without breaking the bank.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Hi everyone, I have a quick question about the golf carts. We were scheduled to take our next trip nov/dec of 2015. We would be meeting up with DH's side of the family to spend 10 days at Fort Wilderness. We have never stayed there (although his brother and family stay there every trip) and DH/DD were super excited about the golf cart aspect. Since we started planning this big trip last year we have gotten pregnant:yay: If our due date holds true we will be traveling during our 1 year olds b-day. Is it still possible to use the golf carts with a one year old? I have heard you can put as many people on as long as their butt is in the seat. I was hoping to just wear him in a baby carrier or sit him in my lap. Will that be allowed?

We saw many golf carts where some folks were sitting on laps of others. I don't think any one is really policing a seat for ever butt. My recommendation is to do what makes you comfortable with your safety. Make sure there is an appropriate way for him to be secured. I would be more comfortable in a baby car seat versus on my lap.

As an aside, I did most of the driving of our golf cart. One night we order pizza and had to transport back to our cabin. My DW drove and I sat on the back seat with the pizza. With my DW's driving, there were a few bumps where I almost lost the pizza. :) I wish I had some bunji cords to latch it to the seat. Obviously, your child is much, much more important. That is why I think you want some method to secure your child to the cart, instead of just on a lap.

And congratulations!!

We have 13 people. Three of the kids are small (4, 5, 7). Originally booked 4 rooms at POP. Would like to stay in Fort Wilderness cabins instead so we can cook, relax more, etc. I'm reading the thread thinking we will need golf carts...but can I rent two cabins and a campsite or one cabin and an RV from somewhere? Anyone done something like this or a combo to fit more than 12people. Trying to figure out the best plan without breaking the bank.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

How about OKW or SSR? I think we had a group close to the size of yours at one of them 5 years ago. Probably less expensive -- but you do have to deal with the fact that everyone will be with everyone 24/7 which, with my family, keeps the stress level higher than I prefer!:eek:

Tom

We will be staying in cabin at FW in September. 2 adults/3 children. We are driving, so we will have our car. For early morning rope drops, are there any parks you would suggest driving to and parking instead of using disney transportation?

Not sure if it is important to note, but we plan on being at each park 30 minutes before rope drop, so could we assume the parking lots at the parks should be fairly empty?

We will be staying in cabin at FW in September. 2 adults/3 children. We are driving, so we will have our car. For early morning rope drops, are there any parks you would suggest driving to and parking instead of using disney transportation? Not sure if it is important to note, but we plan on being at each park 30 minutes before rope drop, so could we assume the parking lots at the parks should be fairly empty?

Well magic kingdom is pretty close to FW and you can take the boat so just give yourself 30-40 min for travel time to get there half an hour beforehand. You could take your car to the other resorts but remember to give yourself enough travel time, if you're running late take your car.

Also to get to the main bus stop that takes you to the parks you must first ride an internal bus unless you take your car to the main parking lot each morning.

All in all it may be easier to drive to the 3 other parks and take the boat to MK to avoid the internal bus to the bus stop then waiting for the park buses. But if you give yourself enough time you should be fine either way.

Well magic kingdom is pretty close to FW and you can take the boat so just give yourself 30-40 min for travel time to get there half an hour beforehand. You could take your car to the other resorts but remember to give yourself enough travel time, if you're running late take your car.

Also to get to the main bus stop that takes you to the parks you must first ride an internal bus unless you take your car to the main parking lot each morning.

All in all it may be easier to drive to the 3 other parks and take the boat to MK to avoid the internal bus to the bus stop then waiting for the park buses. But if you give yourself enough time you should be fine either way.

Yeah, I guess I will evaluate it day by day. The three children haven't been to Disney before, so I think they will think the Disney transportation system is like an attraction itself. We definitely will take a boat because they will really think that is cool. However, it looks like the boat that goes directly from FW to MK only starts running 30 minutes before rope drop. So, instead, I think we will have to take a smaller boat from FW to CR and walk to MK. The FW to CR to WL boat starts running at 6:30am, if I understand correctly.

If I understand correctly, the buses that leave FW for AK, HS, EC, BB, and TL are all straight shots, right?

Can anyone comment on how many stops there are between FW and AK? Between FW and HS? Between FW and EC? That would definitely help me understand if any of those bus rides should be avoided.

The other thing I guess I should consider is the possibility of park hopping. For the most part, would you agree that it would be better to have your own car in the parking lot if you may hop from one park to another park in the middle of the day? There are, I assume, obvious exceptions to this, like MK to EC. Maybe I am wrong - is it easier to park hop if you don't have your car there?

Am I making this too complicated?

Yeah, I guess I will evaluate it day by day. The three children haven't been to Disney before, so I think they will think the Disney transportation system is like an attraction itself. We definitely will take a boat because they will really think that is cool. However, it looks like the boat that goes directly from FW to MK only starts running 30 minutes before rope drop. So, instead, I think we will have to take a smaller boat from FW to CR and walk to MK. The FW to CR to WL boat starts running at 6:30am, if I understand correctly.

If I understand correctly, the buses that leave FW for AK, HS, EC, BB, and TL are all straight shots, right?

Can anyone comment on how many stops there are between FW and AK? Between FW and HS? Between FW and EC? That would definitely help me understand if any of those bus rides should be avoided.

The other thing I guess I should consider is the possibility of park hopping. For the most part, would you agree that it would be better to have your own car in the parking lot if you may hop from one park to another park in the middle of the day? There are, I assume, obvious exceptions to this, like MK to EC. Maybe I am wrong - is it easier to park hop if you don't have your car there?

You're not being complicated at all. I don't blame you for wanting to plan ahead and get all your facts straight :thumbsup2

A few things to remember...

1) If you plan on park hopping, you can take a bus directly from park to park...very easy.

2) Remember to give yourself enough time to go through the bag check point once you get to the park. Sometimes this can take a while depending on crowds. While 30 minutes is ample time, there will be LOTS of people ahead of you.

3) Are you renting a golf cart or not? If not, you will have to take an internal bus to the boat docks and the main bus stop at the front.

4) MK - the boat is a great option! If you drive, you have to park far away then either take a boat OR the monorail to get to the park. I always play it safe...just me, but I would give my self and hour from the time you step out of your cabin until the time you step off the boat at the MK. You might get lucky and there'll be a boat waiting OR you might have to wait 20 minutes for one to arrive.

5) EP - I know that the bus comes from the WL first, and sometimes can be full before it even gets to the Fort. We've driven to EP and got there an hour early (dining ressie) We were literally the 3rd car in the parking lot, and the actual walk to the park was short. Driving here might be a quick option.

6) AK - I believe this is a direct bus ride from the Fort.

7) DHS - Direct bus ride, also. We've driven to this park also, but find it easier to just catch the bus since they drop off much closer.

The buses can be hit or miss at any resort no matter the value, mod, or deluxe. My husband almost refuses to drive anywhere. He says we're paying Disney to transport us and we'll use their gas. :rolleyes: And for our family, it is nice knowing we don't have to get in a hot car and drive ourselves back. Guess it's just boils down to what is comfortable for your family.

If you have any other questions, fire away :goodvibes I'm a huge planner, so I understand wanting to have all your facts upfront.

You're not being complicated at all. I don't blame you for wanting to plan ahead and get all your facts straight :thumbsup2

A few things to remember...

1) If you plan on park hopping, you can take a bus directly from park to park...very easy.

2) Remember to give yourself enough time to go through the bag check point once you get to the park. Sometimes this can take a while depending on crowds. While 30 minutes is ample time, there will be LOTS of people ahead of you.

3) Are you renting a golf cart or not? If not, you will have to take an internal bus to the boat docks and the main bus stop at the front.

4) MK - the boat is a great option! If you drive, you have to park far away then either take a boat OR the monorail to get to the park. I always play it safe...just me, but I would give my self and hour from the time you step out of your cabin until the time you step off the boat at the MK. You might get lucky and there'll be a boat waiting OR you might have to wait 20 minutes for one to arrive.

5) EP - I know that the bus comes from the WL first, and sometimes can be full before it even gets to the Fort. We've driven to EP and got there an hour early (dining ressie) We were literally the 3rd car in the parking lot, and the actual walk to the park was short. Driving here might be a quick option.

6) AK - I believe this is a direct bus ride from the Fort.

7) DHS - Direct bus ride, also. We've driven to this park also, but find it easier to just catch the bus since they drop off much closer.

The buses can be hit or miss at any resort no matter the value, mod, or deluxe. My husband almost refuses to drive anywhere. He says we're paying Disney to transport us and we'll use their gas. :rolleyes: And for our family, it is nice knowing we don't have to get in a hot car and drive ourselves back. Guess it's just boils down to what is comfortable for your family.

If you have any other questions, fire away :goodvibes I'm a huge planner, so I understand wanting to have all your facts upfront.

Awesome advice, thanks! Last night, I was thinking that the FW to EP trip on the bus would be the easiest because it was the closest. However, with a stroller and kids, I am glad you pointed out that the bus could be pretty full by the time it gets to FW.

I think we will probably use Disney transportation mostly if we are going to park hop, based on what you mentioned. I don't want to be worried with ending up at dinner somewhere or in a park at closing and realize we left our car in another park's parking lot.

Ok, so I think I have a decent grasp on getting going in the morning, next issue - most days, I am planning on us being back at FW for rest/swimming/whatever in the high traffic afternoon hours. Then, a couple of nights we have planned for dinner, etc., so I have to think about how to get to those places from FW -

1. Best way to get from FW to Boma for dinner? Drive and park at AKL? Our plan is to check out AKL before and after dinner and then call it a night, so we will just be going directly back to FW.

2. Best way to get from FW to boardwalk area for dinner? It may be a mistake, but our 'dinner' plans are basically to let the kids hurt themselves at Beaches and Cream and just have dessert for late dinner. (whether that is a good idea could have its own thread). We plan on going early and walking around the boardwalk area since I have never done that. Since our 10 year old boy is such a huge sports fan, maybe we will get an appetizer at the ESPN bar.

My wife thinks I am overplanning. But my reasoning is that if you plan like most people, thinking of only one option for each part of each day, something won't work and you will get easily disappointed. I want to know enough so that WHEN something goes wrong, I will be able to think of a reasonable alternatively quickly and easily.

Awesome advice, thanks! Last night, I was thinking that the FW to EP trip on the bus would be the easiest because it was the closest. However, with a stroller and kids, I am glad you pointed out that the bus could be pretty full by the time it gets to FW.

I think we will probably use Disney transportation mostly if we are going to park hop, based on what you mentioned. I don't want to be worried with ending up at dinner somewhere or in a park at closing and realize we left our car in another park's parking lot.

Ok, so I think I have a decent grasp on getting going in the morning, next issue - most days, I am planning on us being back at FW for rest/swimming/whatever in the high traffic afternoon hours. Then, a couple of nights we have planned for dinner, etc., so I have to think about how to get to those places from FW -

1. Best way to get from FW to Boma for dinner? Drive and park at AKL? Our plan is to check out AKL before and after dinner and then call it a night, so we will just be going directly back to FW.

2. Best way to get from FW to boardwalk area for dinner? It may be a mistake, but our 'dinner' plans are basically to let the kids hurt themselves at Beaches and Cream and just have dessert for late dinner. (whether that is a good idea could have its own thread). We plan on going early and walking around the boardwalk area since I have never done that. Since our 10 year old boy is such a huge sports fan, maybe we will get an appetizer at the ESPN bar.

My wife thinks I am overplanning. But my reasoning is that if you plan like most people, thinking of only one option for each part of each day, something won't work and you will get easily disappointed. I want to know enough so that WHEN something goes wrong, I will be able to think of a reasonable alternatively quickly and easily.

Yes drive to AKL, they will let you park no problem if you tell them you are there for a dinner reservation. I definitely agree with walking around AKL. It's such a lovely resort. Not sure how late your dinner reservation is but try to get there before sundown to see the animals out back!

I would suggest driving to the Boardwalk if you're planning to stay late. When it comes to resort-to-resort transportation it gets a little dicey taking buses and other disney transportation. You can always bus over to Epcot and HS and take the boat transportation to the Boardwalk, it's always fun using the boat transportation but allow yourself enough travel time if you have a ADR.

Epcot is also only a 10 minute walk so that is also an option. It is also your best park to chose should you use the water transportation.

Driving would be the quickest option and although the boat transportation is fun you have to consider how much extra time you will be taking out to enjoy it. You will be using the boat from FW to MK so your family will be getting that experience either way.

Please note during peak periods parking may be reserved for Boardwalk Resort guests only. Self parking at the Disney resorts is free to all guests; however some resorts have seasonal parking restrictions. But if you have a dining reservation parking will not be a problem.

Also, Beaches and Cream is at the Beach Club resort. You probably already knew that but I just felt I needed to clarify since you discussed traveling to Boardwalk and then eating at Beaches and Cream. But you can walk from Beach Club to the Boardwalk. It's around a 10 minute walk.

We will be staying in cabin at FW in September. 2 adults/3 children. We are driving, so we will have our car. For early morning rope drops, are there any parks you would suggest driving to and parking instead of using disney transportation?

Not sure if it is important to note, but we plan on being at each park 30 minutes before rope drop, so could we assume the parking lots at the parks should be fairly empty?

We NEVER drive anywhere on property once we get checked it. It is just too much hassle having to go through the ticket gate, get your parking ticket, find a parking spot, take the tram to the entrance... sheeewww... I'm tired just thinking about it!! It is the best at night, we you are all exhausted to not have to worry about finding your car and driving back to the resort, finding a parking spot, and walking back to your room.

We also find that navigating the world and traffic to be a significant headache, especially when the crowds are moderate to high. If you are planning to be at a resort after parks close, that is the only time I would consider taking your car. Otherwise, for AKL we take the bus to AK, and the transfer to the AKL bus. For Boardwalk area, we take the bus to DHS, and either catch the boat over, or walk the path over. At night the walk is really nice, but it is a little long. The boat is very relaxing as well. If you are worried about doing internal transportation inside the fort, why not rent a golf cart? Just my 2 cents, but anyone going, I say don't drive!! It isn't worth the headache:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter