Disney's First Black Princess

Yeah, Jasmine's the Middle Eastern princess.

Somehow I'm not sure if this one screams "classic" as loudly as the other ones do, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. It should be good. The concept pictures look great.

EDIT: *Smacks forehead* Heh, I just read the last part of the aritcle that apparantly I missed the first time reading through *stupid*. So they actually chose New Orleans as a setting to pay tribute to and help the city? That's just plain awesome. But I have to wonder then... where's the controversy coming from? Weird. Oh, and Clements and Musker directing and writing? For the friggin' WIN! Although I also just saw the release date... 2009. Oi. But with any luck, the lengthy wait will mean that theey're taking their time and putting as much effort as possible into the film. My faith in Disney's movie making area is being steadily restored. :goodvibes:

I agree!
it's about time there was an african american princess.
i'm so seeing this movie :p

Looks...odd.. I don't know... I don't see why people got so upset about there not being a black princess........

yes, this is one of the thoughts i had. honestly, little girls dont look at things like "oh no! there isnt a princess that looks like me!" they all are little princesses no matter the skin color, and you can see that quite easily within an hour at disney. all these little girls in princess dresses of every shape, color, language, and heritage. they are all completely carefree, and are happily content with knowing that theyre wearing cinderella's glass slipper.

honestly, i think the adults get a little more annoyed at there not being a colorful display of all the world's cultures and races on the "disney princess" list.

dont flame me dont hit me dont hurt me

i thought pocohantas would count as black

or is she colored??

and yeh i have seen her listed as a princess

Forgot to say this earlier, but even though Musker and Clements are solely responsible for the story, the screenplay will be written by the same man who just won an Oscar for the screenplay of 'Little Miss Sunshine'. I didn't get a chance to see that movie, but supposedly it was pretty good, (heck, the guy just won an award for it), so this looks good for the level of care going into 'Frog Princess'.

(Oh, and this is totally off topic, but Toy Story 3 is finally in production! Originally, it was only put forward as another typical Disney sequal with no regards to the quality (the story was completely lame and rehashed from TS2), as Pixar was no longer involved. But then when Disney bought Pixar back, they were apparently horrified with what was going on and so Lasseter and crew took over the project and put together what he's now announced is "a great story". Both Tim Allen and Tom Hanks are onboard for this, and everything is looking great. This is one sequel I actually *want* to see.)

So..It's being made by the people who wrote Hercules and The Little Mermaid?!

AWESOME!!!!!!

dont flame me dont hit me dont hurt me

i thought pocohantas would count as black

or is she colored??

and yeh i have seen her listed as a princess

She is native american.

Well someone said this isn't gonna be as "classic" as the others. Well it is 2007n and I am sure it will be classic enough. But I am just grateful they are doing Princesses and animation again! And not sequels.

Looks cute!.... but.... I don't understand why disney represents the first black princess but not white, at least not that i know of. Yes, don't get me wrong its a great thing but can't they at least take some time to represent the first white princess.

I actually have heard children upset that there are no black princesses in other stories. Just to put that out there.

I am a little concerned that hand-drawn is still going to mean less quality, I'll admit. For example, you know how Hercules and Emperor's New Groove had characters with very sharp exaggerated features? I think a true Princess Movie Classic should be very carefully drawn as the Little Mermaid, Aladdin, etc....we'll see...

I actually have heard children upset that there are no black princesses in other stories. Just to put that out there.

I am a little concerned that hand-drawn is still going to mean less quality, I'll admit. For example, you know how Hercules and Emperor's New Groove had characters with very sharp exaggerated features? I think a true Princess Movie Classic should be very carefully drawn as the Little Mermaid, Aladdin, etc....we'll see...

I've heard about parents who won't expose Disney to their children, because there has been no African American princess until now.

I've heard about parents who won't expose Disney to their children, because there has been no African American princess until now.

There are also parents who won't expose their children to disney because they support Gay Days. :confused3

There are also parents (whom I personally know) who won't expose their children to Disney because it is too violent. :rotfl: (Beast gets stabbed, as does Ursula, Mufasa dies, etc.)....wow...it is pretty violent....:rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter