DISNEY'S CONTEMPORARY RESORT Information Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm never sure about any WDW plans until I see them actually happen.

A management level CM told us a couple of years ago about the plans to re-do the Concourse level and the DVC tower replacing the north wing. When I posted the info here a few people really freaked out over it and doubted my info, so I didn't post any more about it. What he also told us at that time was that convention attendees complained about having to go to the 4th floor for breaks in their meetings, so the plan was to close the Concourse Steakhouse and Outer Rim, combine them into one large facility on the 1st floor to please the convention people, then use the space on the 4th floor to expand Chef Mickey's and move the fast food and arcade up there. He had also told us that the registration desks were to be moved to the 4th floor, but I haven't heard anything at all about that happening (it doesn't even make sense!) so maybe there will be other differences as well. Like I said, this was 2 or more years ago, and the plans could have been changed from what he originally told us. I hope so. I would dearly love to see the Outer Rim stay on the Concourse Level. We'll be staying at GF in about 5 weeks and are dining at the Concourse Steakhouse and Cali Grill, so you can bet DH will be asking around about the current plans. I'll post what he learns about it.

Hi KRBQ - Just wanted to let you know that your posts regarding changes at the Contemporary due to convention business requests, and the new DVC Tower, offer the same information I have been receiving quite frequently for about a year now.

We are local Disney and visit the Concourse Steak House for breakfast or dinner monthly, and after a meal at either the Steakhouse or California Grill, love to sit by the windows of the Outer Rim and watch the water parade, or chat with other guests. I was sorry to hear of both facilities becoming obsolete in their current setting due to "Disney Improvements". I would guess that since the Contemporary was Disney's first convention hotel, and to date still attracts the convention business that provides much of its revenue, the requests of the largest revenue earners would be heard, and addressed. The only thing in your post I haven't heard is moving the registration desk to the 4th floor. In my opinion, that makes no sense for convenience or anything else, but time will tell.

If you get a tid bit of information, don't hesitate to post it. There are folk who get upset about things that are posted, but you got the information from a Cast Member, who had the latest information at the time of your conversation, and of course, plans change, construction schedules may be postponed, accelerated, or withdrawn completely. The same type of varying information regarding refirbs, at the Grand Floridian, and the new Animal Kingdom Villas, etc. have also caused much fevor.

Wanted to let you know, there was another Disney Lover who has received the same information many, many, many times in recent months. Hope you have a wonderful vacation at the Grand Floridian, I love it there too.

We were in a Tower room/Bay view a week ago and did not have a DVD player. Maybe it's only for 12th and 14th floor - isn't that where you usually stay?
It is the 12th floor where my parents and I stay and I had never thought that the DVD players were only on the 12th and 14th floors, because I assumed they were on all the floors.

It is the 12th floor where my parents and I stay and I had never thought that the DVD players were only on the 12th and 14th floors, because I assumed they were on all the floors.

We just returned and were in the Garden Wing, Deluxe room with king. We had a DVD player.......The room was just FANTASTIC! We had a great time!

We just returned and were in the Garden Wing, Deluxe room with king. We had a DVD player.......The room was just FANTASTIC! We had a great time!

Funny that you had one in your garden room but we didn't in our MK View tower room. Weird. Maybe they are hit and miss?

All Ears newsletter that came this week had a review of the CR. He stayed in the tower MK view and had a built in DVD player. BTW, he LOVED the CR!

To all of you who answered my coffee pot question, I just wanted to say thank you. It was extremely helpful! :flower3:

Tomorrow night we'll be sleeping at the Contemporary! :cool1:

After reading up on the boards and Deb's All Ears, I'm getting a little worried. I am staying at the Contemporary the second week in October. Is the construction noise in the lobby and 4th floor really that bad or will most of the heavy work be done by then?

Also, I was reading about how dirty the pool area was at the resort and that bird poop is everywhere. The pool is a favorite afternoon activity for my family. Is it really that bad?

I hope I don't regret booking my rooms there!

Yours,
JC

Also, I was reading about how dirty the pool area was at the resort and that bird poop is everywhere. The pool is a favorite afternoon activity for my family. Is it really that bad?

I didn't find it a problem at all - in fact, I don't think I really saw much bird poop by the pool. I think they clean the area daily. But I did witness ducks swimming in the pool on numerous occassions. It didn't bother me one bit, but if you're germaphobic, I could see where it would be a problem.

Our balcony was a whole nother story. After the first two days, it was essentially unusable due to the massive amount of bird poop on there - most of which seemed to land on the handrailing and chairs. Plus the cigarette butts that we assume either came from the people above us or mousekeeping. We were bay view if it makes a difference.

After reading up on the boards and Deb's All Ears, I'm getting a little worried. I am staying at the Contemporary the second week in October. Is the construction noise in the lobby and 4th floor really that bad or will most of the heavy work be done by then?

Yours,
JC

I never saw any bird poop at the pool. The pool was quite nice and never really crowded. We were there at spring break which is a very busy time. I didn't have bird droppings on my balcony either. The ducks do swim in the pool, but every morning I would see them clean out the pool in the early am hours. We liked the quiet pool, it is kind of nice being right on Bay Lake swimming and the water was so warm:) .

Never noticed any bird poop when we were there either. The pool was never full and we never had a problem getting a table at anytime of the day or night when we wanted one either. We did see ducks walking around, but never went in the pool if someone was in there. Our balcony (bayside) never had bird poop or cigarette butts on it either. We used it quite a bit when we were at the room.

Allearsnet has some pics up of the new quick service restuarant on the 4th floor. It doesn't look like refillable mugs are available. Here's the link:

http://www.allearsnet.com/blogs/allearsteam/2007/09/contemporary_update_1.html
Thanks for the link to the pictures and after seeing the menu they have, it's good to see they have some hot foods with Pizza and Hot Dogs. As for the other itmes looking at the pictures it seems they took all the items from the fridge like Salads and etc. Finally it does not surprise me they are not selling the mugs there since a manager of the Food & Fun Center told me that, so when people got e-mails from WDW saying they would I knew they were wrong. That is why I trusted what the manager told me since she works there and would know more then someone who works in guest communications.

I think it is so funny that some people have seen the DUCKS and their POOP and seen them swimming in both pools while there and then some people have NEVER seen them. The case of the disappearing ducks? We have stayed there twice in the last year and both times had ducks in and around the pool and had to walk "around" their poop. One morning while sitting by the pool there was a group of somewhat agressive ducks that were trying to "TAKE" a toddler's food right out of his hands. So the parents put the little boy inhis stroller and the ducks still came after him, they woudl try to "fly" just enough to reach into his strollers food tray. The parents kept shooing them off but they would NOT go away. I did not see one CM or lifeguard trying to get rid of them either. Ducks are very germy and I personally do not want to be in such close proximity to them. Just imagine swimming or coming down the slide and while your mouth is open and when you accidentally swallow some water you swallow some....POOP. GROSS! The CR is my FAVORITE hotel but those ducks need to go!!

Yours,
JC

I have little ones who still take naps and was concerned about the contruction noise myself.
All I can speak for is my family and those there when we were in the area we were, but I must say, it was very loud during the day. I had planned for noise and took a small, noisy fan with us for white noise and we could still hear it over the fan.
So yes, we did experience alot of noise almost every day of the 7 we were there, but it may not be loud at other times.

I have little ones who still take naps and was concerned about the contruction noise myself.
All I can speak for is my family and those there when we were in the area we were, but I must say, it was very loud during the day. I had planned for noise and took a small, noisy fan with us for white noise and we could still hear it over the fan.
So yes, we did experience alot of noise almost every day of the 7 we were there, but it may not be loud at other times.
Last month when I was there the 4th floor renovations took place during the mornings and afternoon's so if you plan to spend a full day at the parks and etc you won't be there to hear anything, since they did not work there during the evenings.

Thanks for the link to the blog and pictures! When is the new store on the 4th floor supposed to be finished?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter