Disney's CONTEMPORARY RESORT Information & Questions

So now that we are all booked at staying at CR, really want to do breakfast or dinner at Chef Mickeys but of course there is no availability the week we are there. Going 10/24-10/31. Ideal I would like to go on 10/29. That is the night we are going to MNSSHP. What are the chances of be being able to walk up from breakfast that morning or be there right when they open for dinner at 5 that evening and getting in. Or do you think when I check in on the 24th they might be able to help me get in to eat there? We are a party of 3 which includes myself, DS13 and DS8months

As KOOK posted, your chances are probably pretty slim as Chef Mickeys is popular, but it never hurts to try. I also agree with the pp to maybe keep an eye on a cancellation thread, but also keep checking daily as things can/do change as people modify their plans. My brother and SIL just returned Saturday from their first trip and only made 2 or 3 ADRs for the week as they didn't know how well my niece would do (Chef Mickeys wasn't one of them). My SIL texted me one night to say they just left Chef Mickeys and that my niece loved it. I don't know when she made the ADR or if they were lucky enough to walk in, but I know she didn't make an ADR prior to getting to Disney. Your dates are probably a little busier than theirs since you are there during Halloween, but you never know. I wouldn't give up hope just yet as something might become available. If you aren't able to get an ADR ahead of time, I'd definitely keep checking when you're there and also try walking up :).

I would try to join a cancelled ADR thread for October. In the August thread that I followed, many folks cancelled CM reservations. You may get lucky.

Thanks I am following the Oct cancel thread as well as checking daily of any openings. Hoping that maybe the closer it gets something might open up with people possibly changing their plans. Fingers crossed!

Hahaha! My kids love the sleep sofa at BLT and I would like to replace the old sleep sofa at our cottage. I was thinking if anyone knew the brand, maybe I could buy one.

If anyone there could look for me, I would appreciate it :)
I could be wrong (it certainly wouldn't be the first time), but I think I remember reading somewhere once that those are made exclusively for Disney and that you can't purchase them anywhere. But again, I may be way off on that.

So now that we are all booked at staying at CR, really want to do breakfast or dinner at Chef Mickeys but of course there is no availability the week we are there. Going 10/24-10/31. Ideal I would like to go on 10/29. That is the night we are going to MNSSHP. What are the chances of be being able to walk up from breakfast that morning or be there right when they open for dinner at 5 that evening and getting in. Or do you think when I check in on the 24th they might be able to help me get in to eat there? We are a party of 3 which includes myself, DS13 and DS8months

You could try the Disney Dining Buddy. It's $8, but they watch and text you when a reservation time opens up for the time you tell them to watch for. it worked perfectly for me to get 'Ohana on Christmas Eve at the exact time I wanted, and I had been checking multiple times a day and never found anything.

Hello! We will be staying for the first time at the CR this December (done GF twice--excited to try something new). A couple of questions: when coming BACK to the CR from Epcot, what is the best way to travel? I assumed the monorail, but I realize that with the one-direction loop, it will be a long ride on the resort track. Any suggestions for an alternate, or is it still the best way to go?
Also, since I originally had a WL reservation that was switched, I know I'm going to miss seeing WL all decked out with holiday stuff. I know CR isn't really known for its holiday decor, but can anyone share with me what the resort does do in the way of holiday decorations and festive stuff? A big tree? I remember hearing about a gingerbread display last year. Anything else?

the sleep sofa at BLT

I could be wrong, but I think the Bay Lake Tower Sleeper Sofas (and many of the "newer" sleeper sofas I see in DVC photos) are some variation on the Comfort Sleeper made by American Leather. This is the only sleeper sofa I've seen that pulls out the same way and has foam mattresses. I'm pretty sure a recent blog post I read somewhere actually had a photo that showed the Comfort Sleeper logo on a DVC sofabed.

I could be wrong, but I think the Bay Lake Tower Sleeper Sofas (and many of the "newer" sleeper sofas I see in DVC photos) are some variation on the Comfort Sleeper made by American Leather. This is the only sleeper sofa I've seen that pulls out the same way and has foam mattresses. I'm pretty sure a recent blog post I read somewhere actually had a photo that showed the Comfort Sleeper logo on a DVC sofabed.
I think you are correct. American Leather.

Two weeks from now, we will be checking in to CR!
ADRs ...done.
FP+....done.
Room requests....made.

I don't think there's much left to do except sit and wait now!

OH! One quick question..... my DP (partner) is an iced coffee-aholic and was wondering about Contemporary Grounds. Do they sell plain...non flavored....non pre-sweetened iced coffee? On past trips, he's made the mistake of ordering "Iced Coffee" and gotten some creamy, sugary, bordering on frappe-like concoction at WDW resorts. He drinks his coffee black with no sugar. He could of course just go to Starbucks, but that's a hike and it would be so convenient for him to be able to just scoot down to the lobby!

Scott, I don't know about Contemporary Grounds, but I know the Iced Coffee places in EPCOT (near America and near UK) had brewed iced coffee. I added milk or cream to it.

I hope you have a great trip!
Mary

Hi Everyone!!:wave2:
Just completed my reservation today for December 2016. We're spending 8 nights at The Contemporary!! My first time at The Contemporary!! I'll admit, Wilderness Lodge was my first choice, because I've always thought that the CR was out of my price range. But, with the construction at WL and my son needing to use an ECV for this trip, all signs pointed to the CR, and I'm tickled pink! It's a 25th anniversary trip for my hubs and me, and a graduation trip for my son (he's homeschooled). Let the countdown begin!

Could you please add us to the log-o-rail list for Dec 2-10 of 2016?

Just completed my reservation today for December 2016. We're spending 8 nights at The Contemporary!! My first time at The Contemporary!! I'll admit, Wilderness Lodge was my first choice, because I've always thought that the CR was out of my price range. But, with the construction at WL and my son needing to use an ECV for this trip, all signs pointed to the CR, and I'm tickled pink! It's a 25th anniversary trip for my hubs and me, and a graduation trip for my son (he's homeschooled). Let the countdown begin! That's awesome. Congratulations on your anniversary and youse son's graduation. The time will fly

Just completed my reservation today for December 2016. We're spending 8 nights at The Contemporary!! My first time at The Contemporary!! I'll admit, Wilderness Lodge was my first choice, because I've always thought that the CR was out of my price range. But, with the construction at WL and my son needing to use an ECV for this trip, all signs pointed to the CR, and I'm tickled pink! It's a 25th anniversary trip for my hubs and me, and a graduation trip for my son (he's homeschooled). Let the countdown begin!

Congrats on the reservation, graduation and anniversary...so much to celebrate! DH and I will celebrate 25 years in 2017 along with a big bday for me ( humming the hawaii five o theme !) so I am thinking maybe I will follow your lead and plan special CR stay :love:

Hello! We will be staying for the first time at the CR this December (done GF twice--excited to try something new). A couple of questions: when coming BACK to the CR from Epcot, what is the best way to travel? I assumed the monorail, but I realize that with the one-direction loop, it will be a long ride on the resort track. Any suggestions for an alternate, or is it still the best way to go?

Also, since I originally had a WL reservation that was switched, I know I'm going to miss seeing WL all decked out with holiday stuff. I know CR isn't really known for its holiday decor, but can anyone share with me what the resort does do in the way of holiday decorations and festive stuff? A big tree? I remember hearing about a gingerbread display last year. Anything else?

Congratulations on booking! The easiest way to get back to CR is to get off the Epcot monorail and take the Resort monorail back to CR. It's really not that long once you're on, maybe 15 minutes if all goes as planned.

All of my threads have a CHRISTMASTIME chapter. It's POST 13 in this thread. The CR's decorations are, umm, understated. It's lots of fun though to go around and look at all the other resorts and it's so easy to do on the monorail or by boat. Many who stay at FW campground decorate their sites and RVs and it's fabulous. It's a must-see and an easy boat ride away.

ADRs ...done.
FP+....done.
Room requests....made.

OH! One quick question..... my DP (partner) is an iced coffee-aholic and was wondering about Contemporary Grounds. Do they sell plain...non flavored....non pre-sweetened iced coffee? On past trips, he's made the mistake of ordering "Iced Coffee" and gotten some creamy, sugary, bordering on frappe-like concoction at WDW resorts. He drinks his coffee black with no sugar. He could of course just go to Starbucks, but that's a hike and it would be so convenient for him to be able to just scoot down to the lobby!
Yes, your DP can get any coffee served as an "iced" coffee. Everything is made to order there. He can make his own, too with a refillable mug.

Congratulations to DS and you and DH! The walkway to the MK will make it so easy for DS and his ECV. So this is a 2016 trip, not 2015?

I am following the Oct cancel thread as well as checking daily of any openings. Hoping that maybe the closer it gets something might open up with people possibly changing their plans. Fingers crossed!

I hope something opens up for you pixiedust:.

Hello! We will be staying for the first time at the CR this December (done GF twice--excited to try something new).

I hope you have a great stay at the CR :wizard:. We've never stayed at the CR, but are hoping to try it next summer.

ADRs ...done.
FP+....done.
Room requests....made.

Have a great trip :yay:.

How exciting! What a great way to celebrate a graduation and an anniversary :wizard:.

DH and I will celebrate 25 years in 2017 along with a big bday for me ( humming the hawaii five o theme !) so I am thinking maybe I will follow your lead and plan special CR stay :love:

What a small world....we will also be celebrating our 25th anniversary as well as my big bday in 2017 :goodvibes.

Hi,

Can someone who has been recently comment about how the monorail refurb has impacted the service on the resort line? We generally stay at BLT and looking to book for next month and was questioning if the money is worth it to stay on a monorail resort this time. We'll likely still stay there as we really enjoy the ability to walk over the MK.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their information. We got back yesterday and had a wonderful time. We got the theme park view on the 6th floor. We loved watching the fireworks from our bed and balcony. Had a great time and would not hesitate to do it again.

We arrived home from our stay at the Contemporary Resort on August 1st.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience...quite a huge step up from All Star Music...but not all was ideal.

Pros:

We had no issues with the elevators at all. We were able to get to the food, shops, monorail, or pool quickly and easily via the elevator. It was wonderful to stay in the tower and to not have to walk far to get where we wanted to be.

California Grill: The food was delicious. DD and I shared the Oak fired beef and DH had the Bison. Hands down, watching the fireworks from CG's balcony was worth every penny we spent to eat there. We got to see Hollywood's fireworks right before MK's started! Even though the waitstaff was snooty and rude, I would still eat there in order to view the fireworks from the balcony.

Our room was on the 11th floor, and we were not bothered by any noise. The Bay Lake view was breathtaking. We really enjoyed the Electrical Water Pageant...charming.

The room was spacious and clean. The beds were extremely comfortable...(this statement comes from someone who sleeps on a tempurpedic every night at home.)

The Contempo Café offered many excellent menu choices, and we had no problem finding a seat.

Cons:

The monorail was a sh*t show. It was down the day we had an ADR at Cinderella's Castle. We were forced to walk and arrived a huge sweaty mess at the castle. We were dressed up and wanted to look our best for photos...I needed another shower upon arrival. :(

We boarded a broken down monorail and had to walk back to CR after several miles of walking in MK.

We couldn't trust the monorail at all, and we constantly had to stress out about how we were getting around.

I paid beaucoup bucks to stay at a monorail resort for it to be an epic fail.

California Grill: Waitress was pissed that DD and I shared our meal and got fresh with me. She behaved like we were being cheap...even though I explained that my appetite is small after dieting for a year. Even though they knew it was our 22nd anniversary and we requested a table where we could view the fireworks, we were put in a small back room with the Bay Lake view...the same one I looked at all week from our room. :(

Our chambermaid interrupted our afternoon break daily in spite of being told that we nap in the afternoon. We were forced to go without housekeeping a few times. When we called the front desk for toilet paper, they never sent any up. We went without toilet paper for 24 hours and had to use the tissue box.

Our chambermaid never made the towel characters...not even on the day of our arrival. DD was very disappointed because she was accustomed to this on every other WDW vacation.

There were no yellow pillows with Mickey's face and no replacement item or alternative to them. The room was definitely lacking in any sign that we were in a WDW resort except for the Mickey embossed on the shower curtain. This lack of a Disney theme really bothered her.

Both pools were too shallow. I had to float in the middle of the "quiet" circular pool to get any depth. There were no lifeguards at the "quiet" pool, so people ignored all of the posted rules. They ate cheeseburgers sitting in the pool; kids played catch with tennis balls over our heads; complete mayhem went on that should have been going on at the main pool. We only swam 3 times as a result. This was a BIG disappointment after having an amazing experience at Stormalong Bay at BC 4 years ago.

Next trip to WDW:

We will not be returning to the Contemporary Resort. With all of its advantages and amenities, the lack of Disney theming and lackluster pools will keep us from returning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter