Disney's CONTEMPORARY RESORT Information & Questions

We are staying at the contemporary 11/12 - 11/18, celebrating a 10 year anniversary and our son's 7th birthday (and life in general ;) )

Sounds like a great trip :wizard:.

Decided to change my stay into a split stay. So now we are now staying at the Contempo (garden wing)from 8/24-8/27 then switching to the Poly for two nights! I am beyond excited to get the chance to stay at my two dream resorts during one trip!

A CR/Poly split is what we are considering for next summer. We love the Poly, but the CR would be new. After reading so many great things about the CR, it is now at the top of my list to try :).

So we've been enjoying BLT so much I haven't been posting. Belated happy Fourth! This was from yesterday.

View attachment 107531

We watched the Fourth of July fireworks last night from California Grill. It was raining outside, so we watched from inside the restaurant. The music kept going out inside and people said out on the deck as well. Still a great visual show and at one point everyone in the restaurant just sang along to finish the song to the fireworks. Good group moment.

View attachment 107532

Glad you're having a great time :goodvibes. All of the pics are great, thanks for taking the time to share them.

While on the topic of California Grill, we ate in four sigs (Yachtsman's, Narcoossee's, Citricos, and CG) for dinner, and we would rank it lowest of the four (we'd rank in the order listed.). But having said that, we still enjoyed the meal. We wouldn't go out of our way to go, but if we have a stay on the monorail again in the future, we would go to CG again. The Tuna Four Ways may have been my favorite app of the whole trip.

We've never eaten at CG, Narcoossee's, or Citricos, but we love Yachtsman ::yes::. I'm not sure if we will ever try CG, but Narcoossee's (and possibly Citricos) is on our list to try next trip ;).

The weather this week was crazy, with crazy thunderstorms, and being able to see the fireworks from our room was amazing. (Remember, music on channel 105!)

View attachment 107578

What an awesome view :wizard:.

Getting closer and closer! As a teacher, my summer only started 6 days ago, and our vacation marks the end of my summer off. So, I'm in a weird, "I can't wait for Disney......but don't hurry up and get here!" state of mind! Anyway, we do have a garden wing, standard view booked, so I know the views aren't going to be spectacular, but is there any room request we could/should make anyway? I know I'll be asking for an upper floor because my other half, doesn't like ground floor rooms at all...anywhere.

I will be staying GW, GV for one sweet night, 7/24! We will request 1st floor, any requests recommended beyond that? I was so happy to find this awesome Kook-hosted thread after benefitting from the WL one in February.

Scott: I'm a teacher too. Although our vacation isn't quite at the end of my summer, I will only have two weeks after we get home before I have to gear up and get ready for my new school year. I've been off for two weeks now, and as excited as I am to countdown to our return to WDW, I know that I'm wishing my summer away. We had a terrible winter, and our pool liner just got replaced today. As I watch the water slowly fill our pool, I'm trying to savor every moment leading up to our trip.

Have a wonderful time on your vacation!

Scott: I'm a teacher too. Although our vacation isn't quite at the end of my summer, I will only have two weeks after we get home before I have to gear up and get ready for my new school year. I've been off for two weeks now, and as excited as I am to countdown to our return to WDW, I know that I'm wishing my summer away. We had a terrible winter, and our pool liner just got replaced today. As I watch the water slowly fill our pool, I'm trying to savor every moment leading up to our trip.

Enjoy your time both relaxing at home and having fun at WDW!

Hey guys!
My husband and I are looking at booking during Princess Half Marathon. It will be my first runDisney race and since we will not be bringing our 3 kids along with us (aren't we horrible :upsidedow) we would thought we would make it a nice getaway by booking a CR TPV Tower room. I am just worried about noise level of the MK fireworks and people at Chef Mickey's, especially because I will have to get up 3 mornings in a row by 2:30 am so I will be going to bed early hopefully. How is the noise level in the rooms?
The EWP is pretty loud at 10:10 if you're in a BLV room. You can always request to be away from CM, but in a TPV room that does put you closer to Wishes. Knowing that you have to get up at 0230 will make it hard to sleep anyway and even though the noise in the rooms isn't too bad, I suspect you'll be awake during Wishes and/or EWP. I'd plan on uninterrupted solid sleep from 10:30 - 2:30.

We're booked garden view in the garden wing 12/12-12/20, can't wait to walk to MK! Now just hoping for a room discount to possibly upgrade to TPV :cloud9:

Hope your discount comes through and I'll log your dates:)

Cool! Can I be added to the Log-orail? We are staying at the contemporary 11/12 - 11/18, celebrating a 10 year anniversary and our son's 7th birthday (and life in general ;) )
Of course you can be added and congratulations:)

Decided to change my stay into a split stay. So now we are now staying at the Contempo (garden wing)from 8/24-8/27 then switching to the Poly for two nights! I am beyond excited to get the chance to stay at my two dream resorts during one trip!

Shorter stays have higher possibilities of being magically upgraded;). I'll update your CR dates:)

So we've been enjoying BLT so much I haven't been posting. Belated happy Fourth! This was from yesterday.

We watched the Fourth of July fireworks last night from California Grill. It was raining outside, so we watched from inside the restaurant. The music kept going out inside and people said out on the deck as well. Still a great visual show and at one point everyone in the restaurant just sang along to finish the song to the fireworks. Good group moment.

Such festive photos, thanks psac. I'm sure you and DW have the soundtrack memorized, so no worries there.

While on the topic of California Grill, we ate in four sigs (Yachtsman's, Narcoossee's, Citricos, and CG) for dinner, and we would rank it lowest of the four (we'd rank in the order listed.). But having said that, we still enjoyed the meal. We wouldn't go out of our way to go, but if we have a stay on the monorail again in the future, we would go to CG again. The Tuna Four Ways may have been my favorite app of the whole trip.

Perspective is tough, it was a HUGE portion. My wife's dessert was fun, it was a strawberry shortcake stuffed donut with a blended strawberry drink that tasted like the 1900 cold strawberry soup (in a good way).

I love phood photos. So would you do the DxDP again or go with TiW instead?

The odd number rooms are on the inner side of the ring. They have a pool view, but also a view of the other rooms. I think there is a big lack of privacy in those rooms. Also the living room is slightly smaller in the odd number rooms and instead they have a laundry "room", good for extra closet space and luggage storage. (Instead of the laundry closet that only fits the washer and dryer exactly in size.).

I think the even number rooms have better views, and I think this north side high floor view was perfect. It also was really private, I think even many of the real MK view rooms are bad in that you can see right in them from the sky bridge. The weather this week was crazy, with crazy thunderstorms, and being able to see the fireworks from our room was amazing. (Remember, music on channel 105!)

Thanks for the channel reminder and villa description. Next BLT stay, I'm requesting the north side instead of south - even more peaceful and what a great view over to the left;). Thanks for posting your photos!

Getting closer and closer! As a teacher, my summer only started 6 days ago, and our vacation marks the end of my summer off. So, I'm in a weird, "I can't wait for Disney......but don't hurry up and get here!" state of mind! Anyway, we do have a garden wing, standard view booked, so I know the views aren't going to be spectacular, but is there any room request we could/should make anyway? I know I'll be asking for an upper floor because my other half, doesn't like ground floor rooms at all...anywhere.
Yes, it's bittersweet and then everyone wants their trip to get here soon, but go at a snail's pace when they finally arrive.

For the GW SV rooms, other than level, there really aren't too many more requests, however, I would request "next to canal," as opposed to "close to Tower." Then, to your left, you would have a partial canal view and you could see the boats, but not from your balcony if you request 3rd floor:upsidedow. This view would be best with a ground floor room. However, with a 3rd floor room you could see the canal near where it crosses over World Drive and probably some of 7SL. Those rooms are to the far right in this photo:

IMG_3023.JPG

View to left/around corner:
IMG_3026.jpg

I will be staying GW, GV for one sweet night, 7/24! We will request 1st floor, any requests recommended beyond that? I was so happy to find this awesome Kook-hosted thread after benefitting from the WL one in February.
Welcome! The best GW GV rooms are the ones that front Bay Lake:

IMG_3033.jpg

IMG_3035.JPG

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0457.JPG

What are the best garden view rooms to request at the contemporary? Just booked for 2/16.
Thanks so much!

Welcome! Please see post above yours:)

Last edited:

Shorter stays have higher possibilities of being magically upgraded;). I'll update your CR dates:)

Just being able to stay at those two resorts is enough to make me happy. But I would never down an upgrade...

Last edited:
I am almost out of questions before I go! but one last question.
We get the refillable resort cups etc, apart from Contempo Café, is there anywhere else to get a re fill, I see the Cove bar has a drinks fountain, but not the Sand bar?

Thanks again for the replies folks, kind regards,

Kevin

We get the refillable resort cups etc, apart from Contempo Café, is there anywhere else to get a re fill, I see the Cove bar has a drinks fountain, but not the Sand bar?

Kevin
You can refill them at the QS by the pool (Sand Bar). Cove Bar is at the BLT pool.

Kevin

The Sand Bar has never been an official refill location because it isn't a self-service location. Only the Contempo Cafe has for CR guests and Cove Bar for BLT guests and DVC members.

There have been times in the past, prior to the Rapid Fill RFID-enabled mugs, that you could ask for a refill and some of the Sand Bar CMs would oblige you. They couldn't, however, refill your mug for you. Some would fill a cup with your beverage and hand it to you for you to put in your mug. Since all the mugs are chipped now, (since August 2013), this wouldn't be possible any longer.

You can refill them at the QS by the pool (Sand Bar). Cove Bar is at the BLT pool.

I didn't think this was possible anymore with the use of RFID-enabled mugs? Have you done this after August 2013?

Just curious, has BLT ever been included in any RO discounts released by Disney? I don't remember seeing it on the list of RO eligible resorts this past spring, summer, or fall. It seems like all other villa's make the list but never BLT. I've already booked a 1 bedroom SV villa @ BLT directly through Disney for March 25th through April 1st but may switch to Kidani if a REALLY fantastic RO, Dis Visa, or AP discount comes out and includes AKV 1 bedrooms SV villa's. Since there will be 4 of us going, 2 full bathrooms are a must have, that narrows it down to BLT or Kidani.

:thanks:

Sounds like a great trip :wizard:.

A CR/Poly split is what we are considering for next summer. We love the Poly, but the CR would be new. After reading so many great things about the CR, it is now at the top of my list to try :).

Glad you're having a great time :goodvibes. All of the pics are great, thanks for taking the time to share them.

We've never eaten at CG, Narcoossee's, or Citricos, but we love Yachtsman ::yes::. I'm not sure if we will ever try CG, but Narcoossee's (and possibly Citricos) is on our list to try next trip ;).

What an awesome view :wizard:.

I think Citricos is a little nicer/fancier, but Narcoossees has better food. Our first try there years ago was just so so, but our last few trips, we've liked it a lot.

The EWP is pretty loud at 10:10 if you're in a BLV room. You can always request to be away from CM, but in a TPV room that does put you closer to Wishes. Knowing that you have to get up at 0230 will make it hard to sleep anyway and even though the noise in the rooms isn't too bad, I suspect you'll be awake during Wishes and/or EWP. I'd plan on uninterrupted solid sleep from 10:30 - 2:30.

Hope your discount comes through and I'll log your dates:)

Of course you can be added and congratulations:)

Such festive photos, thanks psac. I'm sure you and DW have the soundtrack memorized, so no worries there.

I love phood photos. So would you do the DxDP again or go with TiW instead?

Thanks for the channel reminder and villa description. Next BLT stay, I'm requesting the north side instead of south - even more peaceful and what a great view over to the left;). Thanks for posting your photos!

Yes, it's bittersweet and then everyone wants their trip to get here soon, but go at a snail's pace when they finally arrive.

For the GW SV rooms, other than level, there really aren't too many more requests, however, I would request "next to canal," as opposed to "close to Tower." Then, to your left, you would have a partial canal view and you could see the boats, but not from your balcony if you request 3rd floor:upsidedow. This view would be best with a ground floor room. However, with a 3rd floor room you could see the canal near where it crosses over World Drive and probably some of 7SL. Those rooms are to the far right in this photo:

View attachment 108734

View to left/around corner:
View attachment 108735

Welcome! The best GW GV rooms are the ones that front Bay Lake:

View attachment 108731

View attachment 108732

View attachment 108733

View attachment 108736

Welcome! Please see post above yours:)

We would definitely NOT get the DxDP again. Since we were there over Fourth of July, there were some blackout dates, and our TIW had expired, otherwise it would have been a no-brainer. But we also wanted to try Cindarella's Royal Table (never had done it before), and a few other character meals, and thought it might make sense. We actually crunched the numbers after, and did save about $200 with the plan, but that was with maximizing the plan when we could. The perfect example of that is Narcoossees and the $75 lobster (me) and surf and turf (wife) that we got. Both were really excellent, but no way we get $75 entrees when not on the plan! And we've had their $40 entrees, which are also really good. And we actually really liked the food and characters at Cindy's (we're on a first name basis now), but not worth the OOP cost to do more than once. And we also had lots of snacks to take home, which isn't a bad thing, I'm going to have an ear from a Mickey rice crispy treat right now! :)

To not be completely OT

image.jpg image.jpg

Some general BLT thoughts from our trip:

We really loved our 1BR this stay. It's like the modern Manhattan apartment we can't afford. :) or if we did, we couldn't afford all our Disney trips!

Having that view really helped. The combination of privacy, serenity, and the fireworks was absolutely perfect. The downside of that location was the wifi. I don't know if it was the same everywhere, or because we were at the end of the ring, but it was terrible. Very very spotty. Sometimes basically no service at all.

The condition of the room was good. I remember when we first stayed there, BLT was only open about a year, but it was already showing wear and tear. This time, it felt like the wear and tear was appropriate for the age of the building. So it was there, but not more than you would expect.

Monorail. Nuff said.

The CMs were very friendly. Every CM we passed in the hall said hi, good morning, etc., and the two times we called a cab from the concierge in the BLT lobby, it was quick, easy, and they were very helpful. The only issue we had was with bell services on our checkout. We called 45 minutes before our DME time, and it took 35 minutes for them to come! We were freaking out, but made it fine, and the guy refused to take a tip from us since they were so late. (We tried like five times, he just wouldn't take it.)

Otherwise it was HOT. Not in the room, actually the room AC was perfect. But outside in July the heat was brutal. You would think Disney could do something about that, can't they??? ;)

Getting closer and closer! As a teacher, my summer only started 6 days ago, and our vacation marks the end of my summer off. So, I'm in a weird, "I can't wait for Disney......but don't hurry up and get here!" state of mind!

Hope you are enjoying your summer and I hope your trip goes slow once it gets here :wizard:.

I agree about KOOK.....she is an awesome host and provides a lot of great knowledge about all of the resorts :thumbsup2.

Hope you are enjoying your time off school :flower3:.

Isn't that the truth! We can't wait for our trips to get here, but then we're sad when we're back home because it went so fast :(.

Just curious, has BLT ever been included in any RO discounts released by Disney? I don't remember seeing it on the list of RO eligible resorts this past spring, summer, or fall. It seems like all other villa's make the list but never BLT. I've already booked a 1 bedroom SV villa @ BLT directly through Disney for March 25th through April 1st but may switch to Kidani if a REALLY fantastic RO, Dis Visa, or AP discount comes out and includes AKV 1 bedrooms SV villa's. Since there will be 4 of us going, 2 full bathrooms are a must have, that narrows it down to BLT or Kidani.

:thanks:

I can't answer for sure as we've never booked BLT, but I want to say I've read of others getting a discount. Maybe others here will be able to say for sure whether or not BLT has been included in discounts :flower3:.

Great pics, thanks for sharing :).

I think Citricos is a little nicer/fancier, but Narcoossees has better food. Our first try there years ago was just so so, but our last few trips, we've liked it a lot.

Thanks, I think Narcoossee's will be on the list for our next trip :goodvibes.

Some general BLT thoughts from our trip:

We really loved our 1BR this stay. It's like the modern Manhattan apartment we can't afford. :) or if we did, we couldn't afford all our Disney trips!

Having that view really helped. The combination of privacy, serenity, and the fireworks was absolutely perfect. The downside of that location was the wifi. I don't know if it was the same everywhere, or because we were at the end of the ring, but it was terrible. Very very spotty. Sometimes basically no service at all.

The condition of the room was good. I remember when we first stayed there, BLT was only open about a year, but it was already showing wear and tear. This time, it felt like the wear and tear was appropriate for the age of the building. So it was there, but not more than you would expect.

Monorail. Nuff said.

The CMs were very friendly. Every CM we passed in the hall said hi, good morning, etc., and the two times we called a cab from the concierge in the BLT lobby, it was quick, easy, and they were very helpful. The only issue we had was with bell services on our checkout. We called 45 minutes before our DME time, and it took 35 minutes for them to come! We were freaking out, but made it fine, and the guy refused to take a tip from us since they were so late. (We tried like five times, he just wouldn't take it.)

Otherwise it was HOT. Not in the room, actually the room AC was perfect. But outside in July the heat was brutal. You would think Disney could do something about that, can't they??? ;)

Thanks for your review, glad you had a great trip :wizard:.

The Sand Bar has never been an official refill location because it isn't a self-service location. Only the Contempo Cafe has for CR guests and Cove Bar for BLT guests and DVC members.

There have been times in the past, prior to the Rapid Fill RFID-enabled mugs, that you could ask for a refill and some of the Sand Bar CMs would oblige you. They couldn't, however, refill your mug for you. Some would fill a cup with your beverage and hand it to you for you to put in your mug. Since all the mugs are chipped now, (since August 2013), this wouldn't be possible any longer.

I didn't think this was possible anymore with the use of RFID-enabled mugs? Have you done this after August 2013?
I thought we did last October, but maybe they just gave us a separate cup for our refill? There was definitely not a self-serve station there, so you're probably right.

Newbie here!
We will be staying at a 1BR in BLT this November.
Can anyone tell me if the pack n play will fit in the master bathroom? Will hoping our 6 month old can sleep in there :-).

I don't know if this is going to help you at all, but last year we booked BLT with a AAA discount. I thought it was 15%, but my wife thinks it was 20%. (And like most things in life, she's probably right.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter