Disney's CARIBBEAN BEACH RESORT Information & Questions-Old Thread-New Thread Link in Post 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just switched from POR to CBR for a total savings of nearly $400

Roll Call 5/31/2015 to 6/7/2015

REading through the tread I am very concerned about the bus situation. I have never stayed anywhere but POP prior to this and for the most part never really had an issue with the buses there other than a few times. Should I be considering a car rental this time? I have seen that car rental is cheaper from the airport than from the local disney rental places.

Thoughts?

EDIT

Also, what buildings should I be looking at requesting for best overall experience and short distances? We booked a standard room for 5 people. Myself 45, DW48, DS13, DD11, and DS7

This will be our 5th stay. The first time we were in Trinidad, the furthest building away of the two. We didn't care for the distance of that building. The next two stays were preferred rooms and we liked that location. Our 4th stay was Jamaica and we really liked that location. The grounds are so pretty that we didn't mind the extra steps.

To me, the bus stops at CBR, POR, SSR are a pain and add so much extra travel time. We use our car to get around rather than Disney transportation. Once at CSR my oldest son took the bus to MK and we took the car. We parked at the ttc, took the monorail to MK and still beat him. We were surprised.

We have stayed at POR twice & CSR twice. CSR is my favorite out of the two. However, we stayed in a preferred room. So the complaints you hear about it being too spread out didn't apply to us. We were close to the food court & transportation. To me, CSR felt like more of a 'deluxe' resort.

From the online pics, the new refurbished rooms at CBR remind me of CSR. Hoping I will love it too. Have fun!!!

CSR is our favorite mod. I noticed it too that the remodel looks like CSR rooms. Though there's no shelves under the sink at CSR that I can remember. That will be nice. I also prefer the sliding doors partition to the curtain. It blocks out hair dryer noise better for those sleeping. The only thing I'll miss from CSR to CBR is the microwave. They can't be requested at CBR.

I know my youngest will prefer the pool at CBR to the one at CSR. It looks more kid friendly. He was too young to remember any of our last stay here.

I was just coming on to ask the very same thing. For those who choose CBR, what is it you love most about this resort?

I still have my room at POR but could save over $500 if we switch to CBR. I think what freaks me out the most is how I hear all the time it's so huge and has so many bus stops it takes forever to use the bus transportation.

Going to read through the thread a bit but hoping someone can get me as excited about this resort so I can save some money!

In 2010 we stayed at POR, and DW as well as the rest of us LOVED it, felt we had found "our" resort.

in 2014, to get the free dining we had to pick CBR since POR wasn't included...DW was a little disappointed until we got there and agreed it was just as nice as POR.

Things people bring up as negatives, it is BIG...ok, yes...good point if comparing it to POFQ...but compared to POR, it is bigger, not by all that much.

The number of bus stops. Sure, it has more than any other, but often on our trip, the bus would stop at Jamaica, then two more and be off to the park...they were running multiple buses in both entrances to cut down on the number of stops...this means FEWER stops than POFQ/POR at times.

Both POR and CBR around well themed and landscaped and have great pools (though we only had the time/weather to use the POR one). Food Courts were comparable in the crowds, number of tables.

I would say, if you can save $500, and there isn't a strong sentimental attachment, I would switch and use that money for other things.

Thanks so much for all the feedback! I did go ahead and change our resort from POR to CBR last night. I just couldn't see myself paying $550 more just to be at another mod. And since I was initially only expecting maybe up to $400 with that extra difference I think we are going to go ahead and get the Memory Maker again which we hadn't planned on this trip.

I did request Jamaica 45 after reading other posts where people said they loved that location and checking out the map. Fingers crossed we will get our request!

I'm under the impression from reading the complaints that most of these people were not aware of the size beforehand and were in rather remote locations. And I'm happy to read that when they are really busy the buses will head to the parks after a few stops when full. That's good to know.

Starting to get more excited about it after reading more posts and seeing more pictures. My boys are HUGE pirate fans so I'm sure they will enjoy the theming.

We will be there May 4th to the 13th.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all of the feedback. I have now watched hours of video of CBR :badpc: and am getting just as excited! The landscaping is beautiful and the interior of the rooms are the same basic layout. I am really just happy to be able to make this trip this summer and i am looking forward to the memories with my family. Kids will be 13,9,6, and it feels like we will be right in the window where they will all have a great time and we will be able to enjoy everything as a family. You can add us to the roll call for 5/30-6/6:cool1:

I was originally booked at POR for our family of 5 until spring codes came out today and switched to CBR to save a bit. I have researched POR and was excited about staying there. Now I have read the first few pages here and am trying to get the same feeling about CBR as I had about POR. Can you all tell me what your favorite thing is about CBR? It looks like the feature pool is great, the refurb is obviously a plus, and from what I have read it sounds like it is fairly close to all of the parks. All great features, but is there ONE thing that is a major plus for any of you?

We were just there in Nov. I loved the tropical relaxed feel of the resort. Loved walking over the bridge to the food court and hearing the Caribbean music playing all day. Loved laying out in the chairs on the beach. Loved how quiet it is and the beautiful landscaping. Loved the steak we had at Shutters. Loved the quiet pools, never more than 4 other people in it. I'm sorry I know you asked for one thing but once I started I couldn't stop, lol!

Hi everyone. I just switched from POR to CBR resort and my family and I are very excited about staying at a new resort. :banana: At POR you are able to fax a request prior to check in date to request a building or room, is there a way to fax in a request to CBR? I really like staying on the second floor in a corner room and I'm hoping to put in a request. Also are there any suggestions to which buildings would be best to request. We're a family of 5 staying in a standard room. Thanks for this thread. I really like all the pics and suggestions.:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Hi everyone. I just switched from POR to CBR resort and my family and I are very excited about staying at a new resort. :banana: At POR you are able to fax a request prior to check in date to request a building or room, is there a way to fax in a request to CBR? I really like staying on the second floor in a corner room and I'm hoping to put in a request. Also are there any suggestions to which buildings would be best to request. We're a family of 5 staying in a standard room. Thanks for this thread. I really like all the pics and suggestions.:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Yes, you can fax...not sure if it always works out, I made a request in a fax, didn't get it initially, but the check-in person called to find a room available that fit our request and got it. I think there is info on the fax number in the first page or two of the thread. If you don't see it, search for fax in this thread, I know I posted about it once and might have put the number I used in there.

Most on this thread agree that Jamaica 45 is the best standard building for location...I agree, though 46 and 44 are not much worse. had 46 and loved the location...only had better at POR with paying for Preferred.

What are your thoughts about Jamaica 46 for a room location? We are going to be there 6/10 - 6/14 for a short trip. We have a standard room booked and am not sure if I am going to use the Disney buses. I think I need to drive to Hollywood Studios earlier than the buses run for Star Wars Weekend, so the bus stop location isn't overly important to me. This will be our first stay at WDW where I have two days planned for just a resort day, so I want to be in a manageable distance from the main pool and food court.

Hi all! I have planned a girl's trip with three 18 year old girls and my BFF. We will be at CBR and I am wondering if the Murphy bed is the same size as the day bed at the Deluxe resorts-or small like the pull down bed at POR? If it is on the smaller size then we will probably bring an air mattress. :goodvibes

We are staying at the CBR in the Pirate Rooms (small children age 2 and 7 who are very excited, especially the pirate loving 2 year old) . . . We have a couple of questions so that we can plan/purchase/pack accordingly.

1) do the rooms have microwaves?

2) are the coffee makers in the pirate rooms the older style makers and not the newer ones that take a different kind/size of pre-packaged coffee? (we are picky coffee drinkers from Louisiana and have to have Community Coffee, which we can get in small prepackaged form for a 4 to 8 cup maker)

3) Have you ever ordered items from Amazon and had them delivered to CBR? (we plan to do this for bottled water and snacks since we are flying in, we may also order mattress toppers as we have very nice memory foam at home and know that we are going back to a standard matress in these rooms, and no we aren't crazy they are as cheap at $20)

We Love Caribbean Beach for the "escape" feel of the resort! Can't wait to be there in April!!! :goodvibes :hyper:

What are your thoughts about Jamaica 46 for a room location? We are going to be there 6/10 - 6/14 for a short trip. We have a standard room booked and am not sure if I am going to use the Disney buses. I think I need to drive to Hollywood Studios earlier than the buses run for Star Wars Weekend, so the bus stop location isn't overly important to me. This will be our first stay at WDW where I have two days planned for just a resort day, so I want to be in a manageable distance from the main pool and food court.

46 is a short walk over the bridge to the pool and food court...We were in 46 a couple weeks ago, and it was an easy stroll...also plenty of spaces in the parking lot nearby so shouldn't be too hard parking close to your room.

Hi all! I have planned a girl's trip with three 18 year old girls and my BFF. We will be at CBR and I am wondering if the Murphy bed is the same size as the day bed at the Deluxe resorts-or small like the pull down bed at POR? If it is on the smaller size then we will probably bring an air mattress. :goodvibes

The murphy bed is a smaller bed than a single, and I doubt an 18-year old will be comfortable sleeping in it - unless she's a tiny wee thing.

We are staying at the CBR in the Pirate Rooms (small children age 2 and 7 who are very excited, especially the pirate loving 2 year old) . . . We have a couple of questions so that we can plan/purchase/pack accordingly.

1) do the rooms have microwaves?

2) are the coffee makers in the pirate rooms the older style makers and not the newer ones that take a different kind/size of pre-packaged coffee? (we are picky coffee drinkers from Louisiana and have to have Community Coffee, which we can get in small prepackaged form for a 4 to 8 cup maker)

3) Have you ever ordered items from Amazon and had them delivered to CBR? (we plan to do this for bottled water and snacks since we are flying in, we may also order mattress toppers as we have very nice memory foam at home and know that we are going back to a standard matress in these rooms, and no we aren't crazy they are as cheap at $20)

We Love Caribbean Beach for the "escape" feel of the resort! Can't wait to be there in April!!! :goodvibes :hyper:

No, there are no microwaves in the rooms, but there are 2 or 3 in the food court.

We found the mattresses very comfortable, but I don't know what the new queen sized will be like.

I can't answer the coffee question; we had a pod machine in our room, but others have stated that they had something different.

I also believe people have water and stuff delivered to the hotel, but I'll let someone who's done it give you a proper answer on that.

The murphy bed is a smaller bed than a single, and I doubt an 18-year old will be comfortable sleeping in it - unless she's a tiny wee thing.

No, there are no microwaves in the rooms, but there are 2 or 3 in the food court.

We found the mattresses very comfortable, but I don't know what the new queen sized will be like.

I can't answer the coffee question; we had a pod machine in our room, but others have stated that they had something different.

I also believe people have water and stuff delivered to the hotel, but I'll let someone who's done it give you a proper answer on that.

Thanks! The pirate rooms don't have new beds :) So I am asking about the pirate rooms . . .

Garden Grocer delivers. They are great!

BTW: if you like your coffee strong (Gaston-level), I placed a pod in my refillable cup walked over to the food court, filled it with their coffee. By the time I walked back - it was perfect.

PS: When spotted doing it by other Gaston-like adults, they complimented me and stated that's they'll do the same!

Add me to the roll call! Sept 5th to Sept 12th I'll be there for the first time. Cant wait to try CBR! Only mod I haven't tried.

Just curious, we booked a standard room, $312 to upgrade to preferred. :eek:
That was too high for us. So can I fact over a request for a specific location? Thinking Jamaica 44, 45, 46, or Aruba 51?

Add me to the roll call! Sept 5th to Sept 12th I'll be there for the first time. Cant wait to try CBR! Only mod I haven't tried.

Just curious, we booked a standard room, $312 to upgrade to preferred. :eek:
That was too high for us. So can I fact over a request for a specific location? Thinking Jamaica 44, 45, 46, or Aruba 51?

You can...7 days out I believe...and also when you do the online check-in, you can request specific "islands"...though not buildings.

The pirate beds were not that great. Not horrid, but if you have back problems I wouldn't recommend them as there's very little support.

We'll be back at CBR in just FOUR days! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

I made my online room requests on Monday (Jamaica or Aruba) although to be honest I don't care where they put us. We don't mind the size of the resort at all.

I can't wait to kick off my shoes and socks and sink my toes in the sand!

Ack! I don't know what to do. When I told dh last night about the new offer, he told me to book a trip for our 38th anniversary in April. Sadly, POFQ wasn't available. Because I've followed mickeystoontown's TRs for years, I decided to book CBR. However, having read through this whole thread, I'm not feeling the magic. The number of bus stops is a big issue. Dh is invisibly disabled and must sit, so getting on an already crowded bus is a problem. And the refurbished rooms look . . . brown, colorless. I'm real close to cancelling. Someone sell me on CBR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter