Disney's Best Kept Secrets

joolz1910

<font color=green>I would have gone down to recept
I thought it would be fun for people to share some of the less well-known 'gems' at WDW. Things like unique activities, dining experiences, special services, etc. I think it would be easy to get caught up with an itinerary packed with rides, missing out on the less obvious things Disney has to offer.

For example, I have recently discovered that it is possible to go to one of the 'beach' resorts and watch a Disney movie in the evening.:goodvibes

Campfire sing a long at Fort wilderness with chp and dale

Free! In summer it is at 8pm, autumn 7pm - they light the fire 30 mins before. You can buy marshmallows to toast or take your own. There is a sing song and kids can dance then chip and dale mingle. We did this in 2009 and will do again this trip.

Whilst you are at Ft wilderness you can see the halloween or xmas decorations - campers put up some really elaborate ones.

They also do pony rides at ft wilderness - not been, maybe will take DD this trip.

Boardwalk - nice for a stroll in the evening, there are jugglers etc

Hire a boat and cruise around - can hire from DTD or some resorts. We did this on our last day and really liked it.

Activities at resorts - OKW had kids craft activites each day for a small fee, campfire some nights and films outdoors by the pool. Think most resorts have similar.

this should be a good thread - I haven't any to add but I'm going to subscribe because I'm sure there will be lots of good ideas.

our best thing we did was very expensive but good for a special occasion, we had a private dinner at the grand floridian with a private butler on the 6th floor balcony and watched wishes, we did this for our 1 year wedding anniversary as we were married there and had our wedding meal

our best thing we did was very expensive but good for a special occasion, we had a private dinner at the grand floridian with a private butler on the 6th floor balcony and watched wishes, we did this for our 1 year wedding anniversary as we were married there and had our wedding meal

Wow, that sounds amazing and v.romanitc!! :lovestruc

One of the things that me and DBF are doing in September (and is probably one of the days that I am most looking forward to), is starting the day with a late-ish breakfast at Ohana, then renting one of the little sea-raycers from Polynesian Marina before heading over to Contemporary Resort to do a tandem paraglide. I think the views are going to be amazing!

Loving these ideas.:thumbsup2

I also remember someone posting about the Haunted Carriage Ride at the campground, although this is seasonal (Halloween).

Who did you contact for this Sarah? I've been trying to find an email address for the right department with no luck. Id love to do it as a surprise on our trip but its difficult to phone as DH always seems to be lurking :lmao:

They do lovely carriage rides around the Port Orleans resort in the evenings. Its not free but i really enjoy it.

Even if your not staying at the Polynesian resort i think its well worth a trip there one evening. We grab some food from Captain Cooks and got and sit on the beach. You get a great view of the electrical water pagent and wishes. Its also a lovely resort to sit and enjoy a cocktail in the lounge :)

We really enjoyed the Segway tour at Fort Wilderness. We saw deer, birds and even armadillo
Go first thing in the morning, it's a lovely way to start the day :)

Pony rides at Fort Wilderness for Children are $5 and the path takes about 5 mins to go round. There is a weight limit on these and children need to be at least 2 years old and you lead the pony. DD went twice last trip and loved it!

FtW also offers Trail Rides for older children and adults - 45 mins for around $45

Most DVC resorts if you are staying there have a community hall where they have organised activities but also other free things like colouring, computers games etc. They also do DVD rentals.

The spas make for a nice break - have my mind set on a nice manicure and pedicure one day. The GF spa also does 'My First' treatments for children - might be a nice mother/daughter activity

Tiggs,

Can you let us have ome more info, ie cost, menu, and who we would contact for this dinner

thanks

Another Vote for the poly in the evening. We grab dole whips then watch wishes in the beach. One of our fav things to do!

Who did you contact for this Sarah? I've been trying to find an email address for the right department with no luck. Id love to do it as a surprise on our trip but its difficult to phone as DH always seems to be lurking :lmao:

laura i emailed someone at gf private dining, cant remember her name but i did it all by email and was so easy, was expensive for the two of us but so worth it

i contacted private dining at the grand floridian, they have set menus at differen costs but we had our wedding meal redone as it was made by the grand floridian. you have to pay something like $75 just for the butler and then the food etc on top, i think ours came out around $300 after tax and tip if i remember right

not sure i have any emails still but will have a look

Pin trading at some of the resorts - the girls asked at reception of OKW & SSR and all of a sudden a book of pins to trade appeared.
The youngest found it a lot easier than just walking up to a cast member!

I thought it would be fun for people to share some of the less well-known 'gems' at WDW. Things like unique activities, dining experiences, special services, etc. I think it would be easy to get caught up with an itinerary packed with rides, missing out on the less obvious things Disney has to offer.

For example, I have recently discovered that it is possible to go to one of the 'beach' resorts and watch a Disney movie in the evening.:goodvibes

Do you have to be staying at a Disney hotel for the movie? We are staying off property - would it be possible to just walk into a disney hotel and have a look around? Am assuming there would be no way we could use the pools etc. but would we be able to have a look aaround?

Yes it is possible just to go to the resorts for a look around - it's one of my favourite things to do.

But you are right, the pools are for guests staying at that resort only and there are notices to that effect as you would expect. (The exception to this are DVC members staying on points and at most resort pools most of the time).

Do you have to be staying at a Disney hotel for the movie? We are staying off property - would it be possible to just walk into a disney hotel and have a look around? Am assuming there would be no way we could use the pools etc. but would we be able to have a look aaround?

The easiest place to watch movies on the beach will probably at the Beach and Yacht Club right by Stormalong Bay. You can also have a stroll around the Boardwalk before it starts, anyone can do this. They also do the toasting of marshmellows.I loved it, and during the film Epcot are doing Illuminations, so just turn around and watch their fireworks :lovestruc
I know at B&YC you have to show your room key to gain entrance to the pool.

Agree about watching Wishes from the Beach at the Poly, but the Poly is also a great break from the MK in the middle of the day. Take the Monorail from the MK to the Poly, have lunch at the foodcourt, which has a really good selection of counterservice food including some great flatbreads. You cannot use the pool but no one minds you relaxing around the pool or on the beach, or in the loby area. Once refreshed a quick hop back to the MK to continue the fun.:banana:

Not for everyone but if you are a certified Scuba Diver you can do DiveQuest at Epcot, where you get to scuba dive in the Living seas. The cast members are great and encourage you to interact with the guests outside the glass and in the Coral Seas restaurant. It is the nearest you will get to feeling like a cast member without being one. Its a blast.:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter