• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's best kept secrets and hidden gems!

Bflo Dave

Mouseketeer
Ok so i know we are all HUGE Disney fans on the boards, and since we have alot of seasoned vets, and newbies on these boards i thought maybe we should start a thread filling in everybody with your best kept disney secret, or any other disney hidden gems that you dont think all of the general public knows about! ;)

One of my favorite hidden gems is that each night something magical happens outside of the Magic Kingdom, and many people have no idea that it even exists. The Electrical Water Pageant is a floating music and light show. It travels around Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake, bringing a smile to the faces of all who see it. Although times may change it currently starts at Disney’s Polynesian Resort at 9pm. From there it heads to Disney’s Grand Floridian for a 9:15 show. The next stop is at 9:35 at Wilderness Lodge, followed by Fort Wilderness at 9:45. The final nightly stop is at the Contemporary at 10:05. Bad weather may cancel the show. It is short but it is creative and not to be missed pixiedust:

Talk to the "little people" - CMs working such tasks as emptying trash cans and herding guest. DW once struck up a conversation with a CM emptying cans outside of RNR for several minutes waiting for DD and I to get off. At the end of the conversation she was given 4 anytime FP to ride RNR.

If you feel up to walking and you want to park hop between Epcot and HS or visa versa, you can walk from Epcot's International Gateway to HS front gate in about 30 mins along a path that runs in front of Boardwalk. It's one of my favorite ways to park hop.

has anyone ever went to the sing along campfire with Chip & Dale? I heard that it is a awesome way to end the night!

There are seats at the front of the monorail with the driver, you can ask to ride up there with the driver (at least the last time we were there) :thumbsup2

Oooh! These are awesome! My family and I are in the process of gathering a trip and usually were DCL people, we haven't been to Disneyworld in about 12 years...so please, keep all the tips coming! I need them! Thanks!

Spread the Disney Love!

Patsydust
:tink:

There are seats at the front of the monorail with the driver, you can ask to ride up there with the driver (at least the last time we were there) :thumbsup2

You can no longer ride with the driver. They stopped it after the monorail crash a few years ago that killed one of the drivers. We did it once, I wish we had done a few more times while we could.

has anyone ever went to the sing along campfire with Chip & Dale? I heard that it is a awesome way to end the night!

Hmmm, glad you mentioned that. We've thought about doing it on previous trips but just never got around to it.
We will be going Sept 3rd to the 8th. Just wondering if/where I could get more info about the campfire. Actually wondering if it happens year round/nightly or if its just certain seasons/times.
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Karen:)

We've been several times. It's held at Ft. Wilderness in the outside "theatre", most evenings (check schedule).

They do a campfire with Marshmallows (the CM builds the fire and they provide super long "sticks" to roast on), and Chip & Dale are there. There is also other entertainment - CM's singing songs, audience participation, etc -- There is the chuckwagon for add'l light food options (hot dogs, fries, etc, if I remember correctly), and it all ends with a movie on the outdoor big screen.

Completely FREE and LOTS of fun! You can even take the lovely boat ride from MK over to the resort, which is also a nice little trip.

Check out the "Camping" forum here on DIS for more info, pics, etc... Personally, I think Ft Wilderness is an (almost) hidden gem at WDW that more people should find time to visit.. they also have horseback riding, pond fishing, etc..

Hmmm, glad you mentioned that. We've thought about doing it on previous trips but just never got around to it.
We will be going Sept 3rd to the 8th. Just wondering if/where I could get more info about the campfire. Actually wondering if it happens year round/nightly or if its just certain seasons/times.
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Karen:)

I love the campfire sing along. We do not always stay for the moview but love the making the smores, love the sing along (dancing with kids to the hokie pokie) and meeting Chip & Dale. Great fun.

http://www.*********************.com/activity-campfire.php

One of my favorite things at WDW is the transportation system. Live to take the boat between Epcot and Studios. Or any other boat for that matter. Sometimes on the last day we just ride boats and monorails.

We've been several times. It's held at Ft. Wilderness in the outside "theatre", most evenings (check schedule).

They do a campfire with Marshmallows (the CM builds the fire and they provide super long "sticks" to roast on), and Chip & Dale are there. There is also other entertainment - CM's singing songs, audience participation, etc -- There is the chuckwagon for add'l light food options (hot dogs, fries, etc, if I remember correctly), and it all ends with a movie on the outdoor big screen.

Completely FREE and LOTS of fun! You can even take the lovely boat ride from MK over to the resort, which is also a nice little trip.

Check out the "Camping" forum here on DIS for more info, pics, etc... Personally, I think Ft Wilderness is an (almost) hidden gem at WDW that more people should find time to visit.. they also have horseback riding, pond fishing, etc..

Is it worth making the trip if we already stay at BC with their little campfire and movie?

These are great tips! I can't wait to read more in preparation for our DD6's first trip.

Love these tips... We're staying at Wilderness Lodge, and are planning on doing Chip N Dale campfire... can't wait!

How about the Dancing fountain at Epcot?

How about the Dancing fountain at Epcot?

I do like the dancing fountain also. Actually I love all the water shows.
We are going to be visiting Mickey during Christmas season this year and this is our first time going during Christmas can't wait!! We already purchased our MVMCP tickets.
Does anyone have any good tips for the Christmas season they are willing to share?

You can no longer ride with the driver. They stopped it after the monorail crash a few years ago that killed one of the drivers. We did it once, I wish we had done a few more times while we could.

If anyone really needs to ride in the front of the monorail you can still do it at Disneyland. We were there 3/13 and the kids loved it. We had done it at WDW before the crash and when we were there in 2011 kids were really let down that they could not ride upfront. Imagine the smiles on their faces when I told them we could ride up front at DLR:yay:

Just thought of one!

I'm not sure if it's still there or not, but when my husband and I went on our honeymoon in 2009, there was a thing in Innovations at Epcot where you became a video game character. You go in front of this booth and it records you doing a few different things, like running, jumping, and dancing. Then it puts you in a video game that you can play. That was a lot of fun.

This is not at all secret, but I love the pressed penny machines scattered around WDW. For 51 cents, you can make a little souvenir. There are several machines at each park and DTD, and at least one at each resort.

If restaurants were not enough, it's another incentive to visit all the resorts.
Much less expensive to collect than pins! ;)

PS - If you google "wdw penny press locations", there are various maps showing the locations, even which machines are out of order.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter