Disney's ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pool view room booked and when I go to do online checkin, my request options include kudu trail view. Am I correct that the kudu trail view would not be pool view?!? I'm confused....
Of the other options, I'm thinking I'd like upper floor, but not sure which of near lobby or near elevator would be better choices???

Pool view will have you on Zebra Trail, Giraffe Trail, or in the block of rooms that face the lobby. Personally, I'd choose "near lobby" over "near elevator".

:)

We will be at Jambo House July 16-22nd ,,,,last time at Kidani Village loved the view ...many times woke up to have coffee with the animals...less then three weeks away..

We checked out of AKL this morning after an 8 night stay. It was our first stay here and booked a standard view room with a really good Passholder rate. Via Touring Plans, I requested a block of rooms on the 3rd floor on the Kudu Trail. I got my request and we were assigned room 3326. I loved this location. We were right above a people pen, but still had a fabulous view of the Savannah. There was always something outside our room day and night - zebras, giraffes, wildebeest, ankole cattle, scimitar oryx, some sort of small antelope??? (forgot name!), ostriches and all kinds of birds. One zebra was just a hoot. There was a dirt pile he was very territorial about and would get very aggressive towards other animals. He would even start fights and charge at the wildebeest!!! We could see the outdoor area of Sanaa in the distance and sometimes at night the noise would carry over from there. It wasn't an issue to us, but I could see how it might bother others. We were what some would consider far from the lobby, but I honestly think the walk down the halls is greatly exaggerated. I liked that we were a bit further because the lobby can get very loud in the evening with activities and people coming to dine. Our room was near a set of stairs that led down to the laundry room on floor two. Our room faced west and got very hot in the afternoons, but we had the most beautiful sunsets. The room had two queen beds. The lighting is very dim in the bathroom and sink area.

We dined at The Mara (lunch), Boma (dinner), Jiko and Sanaa. I had the Chicken Pita w/ Coucous and it was very good. Boma was good as far as buffets are concerned. I'd dine there again if staying at the resort, but I would not make a special trip out there. I ordered the grouper at Jiko and it was fabulous and is holding as our second best meal so far this trip (Tiffins is number one!). I was sorely disappointed with Sanaa. I ate there back in 2009 and remember enjoying my meal. We got the bread service and I was completely underwhelmed. The bread was all brushed in butter including the garlic naan with a garlic butter. I eat and cook Indian food all the time and have never seen that before. We got cilantro chutney, mango chutney and raita. They were okay. My butter chicken had zero flavor, my lentils were completely underdone and my rice wasn't cooked thoroughly either.

When we checked in our neighbor in 3324 was constantly smoking on the balcony including flicking his ashes and tossing cigarette butts onto the savannah. I called the first night and they sent a manager which did no good because it continued. On day 3 the guy was smoking in his room but keeping the slider open. The smoke was still wafting onto our balcony. As I was leaving to go to the front desk for the 4th time about this, they came out of their room to go to the parks for the day. When I came back their slider was still open and their swim suits and towels were still on the balcony along with a couple small toys on the table. I could also see a little into their room and there was stuff strewn everywhere. We went to the parks for a few hours and when we came back their stuff was no longer there and the balcony door closed. Nobody occupied that room for the remainder of our stay. I'm not sure whatever became of them, but it was nice to finally sit outside without inhaling cigarette smoke. FYI, every time I complained I was told there was nothing they could do unless they physically caught him doing it. I know I could have requested to be moved, but we really liked our room.

We had zero bus issues. We rope dropped most mornings or had a PPO ADR and came back around lunch time then went back out for dinner and more park time. Even though the bus goes to Kidani first there was always plenty of empty seats when it stopped at Jambo. I didn't find the resort to be far removed from everything at all. In fact, I loved the location and how quiet it was. It was so relaxing!!!!

I would not hesitate to stay here again. Wilderness Lodge still has my heart, but AKL was just awesome. We are now at All Star Sports for 5 nights for soccer at ESPN WWOS wishing we were still at AKL!

We checked out of AKL this morning after an 8 night stay. It was our first stay here and booked a standard view room with a really good Passholder rate. Via Touring Plans, I requested a block of rooms on the 3rd floor on the Kudu Trail. I got my request and we were assigned room 3326. I loved this location. We were right above a people pen, but still had a fabulous view of the Savannah. There was always something outside our room day and night - zebras, giraffes, wildebeest, ankole cattle, scimitar oryx, some sort of small antelope??? (forgot name!), ostriches and all kinds of birds. One zebra was just a hoot. There was a dirt pile he was very territorial about and would get very aggressive towards other animals. He would even start fights and charge at the wildebeest!!! We could see the outdoor area of Sanaa in the distance and sometimes at night the noise would carry over from there. It wasn't an issue to us, but I could see how it might bother others. We were what some would consider far from the lobby, but I honestly think the walk down the halls is greatly exaggerated. I liked that we were a bit further because the lobby can get very loud in the evening with activities and people coming to dine. Our room was near a set of stairs that led down to the laundry room on floor two. Our room faced west and got very hot in the afternoons, but we had the most beautiful sunsets. The room had two queen beds. The lighting is very dim in the bathroom and sink area.

We dined at The Mara (lunch), Boma (dinner), Jiko and Sanaa. I had the Chicken Pita w/ Coucous and it was very good. Boma was good as far as buffets are concerned. I'd dine there again if staying at the resort, but I would not make a special trip out there. I ordered the grouper at Jiko and it was fabulous and is holding as our second best meal so far this trip (Tiffins is number one!). I was sorely disappointed with Sanaa. I ate there back in 2009 and remember enjoying my meal. We got the bread service and I was completely underwhelmed. The bread was all brushed in butter including the garlic naan with a garlic butter. I eat and cook Indian food all the time and have never seen that before. We got cilantro chutney, mango chutney and raita. They were okay. My butter chicken had zero flavor, my lentils were completely underdone and my rice wasn't cooked thoroughly either.

When we checked in our neighbor in 3324 was constantly smoking on the balcony including flicking his ashes and tossing cigarette butts onto the savannah. I called the first night and they sent a manager which did no good because it continued. On day 3 the guy was smoking in his room but keeping the slider open. The smoke was still wafting onto our balcony. As I was leaving to go to the front desk for the 4th time about this, they came out of their room to go to the parks for the day. When I came back their slider was still open and their swim suits and towels were still on the balcony along with a couple small toys on the table. I could also see a little into their room and there was stuff strewn everywhere. We went to the parks for a few hours and when we came back their stuff was no longer there and the balcony door closed. Nobody occupied that room for the remainder of our stay. I'm not sure whatever became of them, but it was nice to finally sit outside without inhaling cigarette smoke. FYI, every time I complained I was told there was nothing they could do unless they physically caught him doing it. I know I could have requested to be moved, but we really liked our room.

We had zero bus issues. We rope dropped most mornings or had a PPO ADR and came back around lunch time then went back out for dinner and more park time. Even though the bus goes to Kidani first there was always plenty of empty seats when it stopped at Jambo. I didn't find the resort to be far removed from everything at all. In fact, I loved the location and how quiet it was. It was so relaxing!!!!

I would not hesitate to stay here again. Wilderness Lodge still has my heart, but AKL was just awesome. We are now at All Star Sports for 5 nights for soccer at ESPN WWOS wishing we were still at AKL!

Thank you for your feedback!! Having a smoking neighboring room would be my worst nightmare..... I didn't know smoking is allowed in the room.

It's not. Some folks have a total lack of class, though.
Well, if that's the case, I don't believe there is "nothing" the front desk can do about it as stated by the OP. If someone is smoking in the room, you can see the ashes and notice the smell without seeing the person in action.

we are due for our first AKL stay on August 2nd. We purchased some personalized beach towels with our daughters names on them. I was hoping to get them in the room before the girls see it to facilitate a little of the magic. Is this something a resort staff member could help out with? Wondering if anyone else has had a similar request?

I'm really saddened that nothing was done about the smoker on the balcony. That definitely should have been investigated and stopped after you first alerted the front desk, Bree. There are cameras everywhere.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay!

We will be at Jambo House July 16-22nd ,,,,last time at Kidani Village loved the view ...many times woke up to have coffee with the animals...less then three weeks away..
July

LSG85, July 9th -16th, Kidani

Weaves18, 10th - 16th, AKL

DisneyMamato4, 16th - 22nd, AKL

Mickeymomtx, 16th - 22nd, AKL

Fwizard, 16th - 22nd, Jambo House

Wzwild, 16th - 23rd, AKL

Twinmom2002, 21st - 28th, AKL

LvsTnk, 24th-29th, AKL

I was really annoyed with their lack of response to the smoking. The final time I went down there I was beyond angry. I remained calm with the CM & her manager, but I think they could tell I was at the end of my rope. There were ashes and cigarette butts on the balcony that morning, but like I posted earlier everything was cleaned out by that afternoon. Yes, I was nosy and leaned over to see into their room. All their stuff was gone, but just that morning there were items on the balcony and all over their room. Since they had left the balcony door open I had a clear view into it.

I plan on writing an email to guest services when we get home. I just want them to know I think their smoking policy stinks.

So are the buses generally full in the mornings by the time they make it to Jambo during the slowest times of the year?

I was really annoyed with their lack of response to the smoking. The final time I went down there I was beyond angry. I remained calm with the CM & her manager, but I think they could tell I was at the end of my rope. There were ashes and cigarette butts on the balcony that morning, but like I posted earlier everything was cleaned out by that afternoon. Yes, I was nosy and leaned over to see into their room. All their stuff was gone, but just that morning there were items on the balcony and all over their room. Since they had left the balcony door open I had a clear view into it.

I plan on writing an email to guest services when we get home. I just want them to know I think their smoking policy stinks.

Definitely send an email! ::yes:: Give them the facts as you stated in your original post. AKL's lack of action to resolve what is clearly a breach of the rules, an inconvenience to other guests, and a potentially dangerous situation is what truly "stinks"!

Please let us know what response you receive from Disney.

@Bree I felt that I had to reply since I have been in 3324 since the 21st and we have most definitely not been smoking. You must have the wrong room number. We have spent more time on our balcony and room and haven't smelled cigarette smoke once. I too would have complained though. I hope you have better neighboors at All Stars.

@debelfish

I have a picture of our door and we were most definitely in room 3326. 3324 was to our left when looking at our door. We checked in on the 18th and day 3 was the 20th when the previous occupants disappeared and the mess outside cleaned up. You guys were the quietest neighbors we have ever had! I truly thought the room was empty! I actually took photos of the balcony with the ashes and cigarette butts. They are on my DSLR camera, but I did not bring a laptop with me.

Bree
That makes sense if they checked out on the 20th. I must have miscounted backwards. Lol This room didn't have any smell when we checked in, I am super sensitive to cigarette smoke. I wonder how they cleaned the room? The housekeeper Lavern has been so nice, maybe I'll ask her. I was shocked to see the very room I'm in being discussed on the Dis! Hope you have a nice rest of your trip!

Bree
...This room didn't have any smell when we checked in, I am super sensitive to cigarette smoke. I wonder how they cleaned the room? The housekeeper Lavern has been so nice, maybe I'll ask her. ...!
Small world!
A few years ago my son rented an apartment which had been occupied by a smoker - his move in had to be delayed 24 hours while they ran an ozone machine to get rid of the smell. It worked very well. I believe if the smoker has only been there a couple of days it doesn't take quite so long to run the machine.
I wonder if the smoking group was asked to leave, it sort of sounds like it, if so how very unfortunate for the children to have their vacation cut short because an irresponsible adult can't leave the room/balcony and go to a designated smoking area for a smoke break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter