• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just arrived and it seems like they are removing a tree from the pool area. It looks like they may have already removed some? Maybe I'm just being paranoid but it looks a lot less lush. Is this for the pool fence? If so I really hope they are going to plant it up again. If you haven't been here you probably won't notice (well you'll notice the sawing sound and work equipment), but it looks so bare to me. I know they have to put a fence in but it's so sad.

Bummer. I love the pool area as is.

I have a question about buses that I hope someone can help me with. I am trying to decide between Kidani and Jambo. I have read that the buses, except for the Disney Springs ones, pick up and drop off Kidani first. Does this really make a difference as far as seating etc.? We're currently booked at Jambo but a 1 bedroom at Kidani for the same time frame is about the same price. With three small children I was thinking Jambo, with easier access to quick service would be a better choice, but if there is a bus advantage to Kidani it might be worth considering. Thanks!!

I have a question about buses that I hope someone can help me with. I am trying to decide between Kidani and Jambo. I have read that the buses, except for the Disney Springs ones, pick up and drop off Kidani first. Does this really make a difference as far as seating etc.? We're currently booked at Jambo but a 1 bedroom at Kidani for the same time frame is about the same price. With three small children I was thinking Jambo, with easier access to quick service would be a better choice, but if there is a bus advantage to Kidani it might be worth considering. Thanks!!

i was at jambo March 2015 and March 2014. At around 8:30 am, the buses were standing rooom only by the time they got to jambo. We ended up taking cabs to the parks. Other people have said they did not have such a problem.

i was at jambo March 2015 and March 2014. At around 8:30 am, the buses were standing rooom only by the time they got to jambo. We ended up taking cabs to the parks. Other people have said they did not have such a problem.
....interesting....we've stayed here 4 times [different times of the year too!] and really have been lucky to have never experienced any bus problems....what you've stated sounds like what happened at CBR - they're infamous for that.

Hmm ok, thanks for the info. I was kind of worried about that. Then again, when the buses are coming back I imagine there is no guarantee of room at Kidani either since there will be people still on the bus who will get off at Jambo. We stayed at Poly last time and DH is worried about being at a non monorail resort. We are doing a split stay with Grand Floridian and doing all but one of our MK days during then so we won't be busing to anywhere we wouldn't have to from there. We never ran in to standing room only at Poly last time though, may have just been luck though.

Hmm ok, thanks for the info. I was kind of worried about that. Then again, when the buses are coming back I imagine there is no guarantee of room at Kidani either since there will be people still on the bus who will get off at Jambo. We stayed at Poly last time and DH is worried about being at a non monorail resort. We are doing a split stay with Grand Floridian and doing all but one of our MK days during then so we won't be busing to anywhere we wouldn't have to from there. We never ran in to standing room only at Poly last time though, may have just been luck though.

I am staying at kidani later this month and I LOVE akl but if you have not stayed at akl yet I would do Jambo first. Especially splitting with the grand, Jambo is much more "regal". But take this with a grain of salt as buses are less important to me than ambiance and the convenience of great dining, etc.

We stay at the AKL for the first time and loved it. Booked a standard room and we saw animals everyday from our balcony. We stayed in the Jambo house room 3349. Our view was considered partially obstructed, but it wasn't. Our daughter loved seeing the animals from our balcony.

I think you'll be happier at Jambo!

Don't stress about the buses. It usually doesn't make a difference. In fact, during busier times Jambo and Kidani have had SEPARATE buses. :thumbsup2

Just got back yesterday. I had booked a standard view and we got our room text while we were on the Magical Express on the way to the resort. We got some pixie dust because our room actually was a Savanna View bunk bed room. Our view was great and my 9 yr old loved the bunk beds. We ate at the Mara every morning for breakfast. It was fine, and my only complaint was that they ran out of some of the muffins and yogurt parfaits on a couple of days and never seemed to replace them. Loved the Mickey waffles though. The buses were always pretty full and we ended up standing probably a total of 80% of our trips. It was a bit annoying that we always went to Kidani first because only a small number of people got off the bus there. Of course, if we were staying at Kidani, I would have been happy that it stopped there first. Haha. Overall, we were satisfied with AKL and would stay there again, but probably rent a car.

Buses are total luck of the draw, in general. You can have 2 people staying at the same resort, going to the same parks on the same days have total opposite experiences, where one constantly had to wait for a bus and only stood, while the other never waited more than 2 minutes and always had a seat. There is no rhyme or reason to it and, IMO, I don't think buses should factor into a decision.

With that being said, I think you are on the right track in choosing Jambo over Kidani because of The Mara (and Boma if you want a larger breakfast a morning or 2) being right there in your building. While I don't have kids, I can certainly see getting everyone fed in the morning being more of a hassle than maybe having to stand on a trip or 2 to the parks. Having that convenience might have a bigger payoff in the end. Plus, with 3 kids in tow, hopefully you'll find guests nice enough to give you or your kids their seat.

We stayed March 28 -April 6 (Jambo) and crowds were exceptionally heavy at the parks (Easter/Spring Break) - but I never had any problems with buses. We rarely had a full bus and never had to stand. It could be the times that we travelled (early AM for rope drop and came back mid-day for breaks; back in the evening for dinner or the like).

Buses are total luck of the draw, in general. You can have 2 people staying at the same resort, going to the same parks on the same days have total opposite experiences, where one constantly had to wait for a bus and only stood, while the other never waited more than 2 minutes and always had a seat. There is no rhyme or reason to it and, IMO, I don't think buses should factor into a decision...
....ITA...

....While I don't have kids, I can certainly see getting everyone fed in the morning being more of a hassle than maybe having to stand on a trip or 2 to the parks. Having that convenience might have a bigger payoff in the end. Plus, with 3 kids in tow, hopefully you'll find guests nice enough to give you or your kids their seat.
....I have to confess that, when going to a park, I am totally oblivious to those around me.....however, when returning to AKL, my DH and I have given up our seats when we see little ones half asleep in their parents' arms or fighting to stay awake while they are standing in the center aisle of a moving bus....

While I would be grateful if someone gave us their seats or even just my 5 year old I don't expect it. Last year my twins were just under 1 and my oldest just under 4 and we stood several times. DH and I always brought/wore baby carriers which were invaluable on buses when it would have been hard to hold on and hold a baby.

My 5 year old really wants to stay with the animals (thanks Disney Jr lol) so we'll probably stick with Jambo and see how it goes. All our early breakfasts are at the start of our trip so we won't be in a hurry to get anywhere or be trying to make it to RD. thanks for the input all! :thumbsup2

DD booked our room with her CM discount - the reservation says "Animal Kingdom Lodge, Savanna View, Bunk bed". This will be our first visit (usually we stay at Dolphin, POFQ, or Yacht/Beach club) ! Can you tell us what to expect? :cool1:

So looking forward to our stay at AKL. We are staying 16 nights in oct/nov and just trying to plan our days, so have a few questions for you knowlegable dissers.

We were wondering what times the pools are open.

We also have booked a standard view room, and I know these are likely to be of the parking lot, but what other views might be possible, and to what extent are standard rooms a view of the car park, say 80%? Can you still sit outin the evening and have a drink, or do you feel overly watched?

Also on our first day our kids are likely to be up super early, as they will be on UK time still, what things are there to do around the resort in the very early hours? Obviously things that won't disturb other guests before we head off to breakfast at Ohana's. Thanks :)

Hello all, we will be staying Club Level May 17-24 and received the Lounge refurb letter. I wrote IPO and they stated that the lounge may be back to the 6th floor towards the end of my stay? Has anyone else heard this? Would love to see the changes!!

Hello all, we will be staying Club Level May 17-24 and received the Lounge refurb letter. I wrote IPO and they stated that the lounge may be back to the 6th floor towards the end of my stay? Has anyone else heard this? Would love to see the changes!!

From what I have seen the lounge on 6 will be closed starting either May 2 or May 7 (I have heard both dates, both of which are during my trip) and will re-open on May 23rd. The lounge will likely be moved to the Presidential Suite. I have not been able to find out how much of the suite will actually be accessible for CL guests, but I guess I'll find out in a few weeks (if they open up the balcony to guests, which they should, I may never leave). Not sure what else besides new carpeting is planned on being done, but I would think the whole lounge has to be closed while all the DVC rooms on the 6th floor are being worked on.

Hi Everyone! I will be staying at AKL for the first time mid June. I am looking at the room requests on on-line check in and I'm not sure what to request. I've checked on a bunch of websites, but they all have different suggestions and no real explanation on how they got to their suggestions. So, I've decided to come to the experts. I booked a Savannah View-Club Level room, any suggestions would be appreciated! These are the options they give me on MDE:

Upper Floor
Near Lobby
Near Elevator
Ground Floor
Lower Floor
Kudu Trail View

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter