• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's ALL-STAR SPORTS RESORT Information & Questions

lustergirl, you didn't scare me away.
i truly enjoy my stays at Sports.
anyone can have a poor stay at any of the disney resorts.

for me, pop isn't my thing.
they have 4 floors and lots of buildings which means more peeps at that resort.

since i go solo, i like smaller crowds and less people in the place.
3 floors at the sports buildings means not as many peeps trying to get on the bus when i am.

i rarely do shopping at the gift shop near the lobby at sports..
higher tax level so i do my knick knack shopping in the parks/dtd and have packages sent to the hotel unless it is a pin which i would stick in my pocket.
i only use the gift shop if i want something sweet at that time.

i have not been at sports during anytime the pop warner or teen groups have been there.
did hit sports once with the btg were present but they weren't in the building i was in.
none of them ate at the food court when i was at it so that was a good thing for me.

have you started planning your next trip yet?
Higher tax level? Sorry, what does that mean as that's the first I've heard about a difference in tax charges?

Higher tax level? Sorry, what does that mean as that's the first I've heard about a difference in tax charges?

The All Stars resorts are in a different county than the other WDW resorts so they have a different tax rate. For example the All Stars have a tax rate of 13.5% and Pop Century has a tax rate of 12.5%. So the same item purchased at one of the All Stars will be cost 1% more than anywhere else on property.

Mac. Yes if I stayed at Sports again I would book a preferred. But you can have a bad stay at any level of resort. I have booked my trip for 9/24/9/29, staying at Coronado. The values went really fast for the free dining promo. Hubby wants to go this time. My knees are killing me right now from all the walking so I think the trip in September I will be renting a scooter.

When are you going next?

you will enjoy coronado.
that's a moderate i did like a lot.

i think it is building 4 i liked the best.

my next trip is sept 29.

The All Stars resorts are in a different county than the other WDW resorts so they have a different tax rate. For example the All Stars have a tax rate of 13.5% and Pop Century has a tax rate of 12.5%. So the same item purchased at one of the All Stars will be cost 1% more than anywhere else on property.

That is just the hotel tax rate. The difference in tax rates is only for your hotel room costs. Your all-star room will be taxed at 12.5% and a Pop room will be taxed at 11.5%. All your purchases have the sales tax rate of 7.5% no matter where you buy on property or off.

I read up on this topic. Osceola county, where the All-Star resorts are located, adds a slightly higher sales tax (1.0%) to the base sales tax (6.0%) and therefore there's also a slightly higher hotel tax.

From About Orlando:

"The Central Florida Counties consist of Orange, Seminole, Osceola, Lake and Polk Counties. All of these counties, with the exception of Seminole County have included a discretionary sales tax surcharge. An example of the total tax rate when staying at a Central Florida hotel would include the transient rental rate + the county tax (general + discretionary) for a total amount.

Orange County 6.00% + 6.50% = 12.5%
Osceola County 6.00% + 7.00% = 13%
Seminole County 5.00% + 6.00% = 11%
Lake County 4.00% + 7.00% = 11%
Polk County 5.00% + 7.00% = 12%"

Last edited:
I switched from Pop to Sports to receive the free dining. I wasn't able to select preferred to get the offer so went with the standard room.

It's just me and my hubby going so I really wanted a king bed. Is it correct these are only available in the preferred rooms? I don't want to waste a request if it can't be granted! Thanks!! :earsboy:

I switched from Pop to Sports to receive the free dining. I wasn't able to select preferred to get the offer so went with the standard room.

It's just me and my hubby going so I really wanted a king bed. Is it correct these are only available in the preferred rooms? I don't want to waste a request if it can't be granted! Thanks!! :earsboy:

I think there are king bed in all the buildings, but most of them are HC accessible. I don't know when you last checked, but it seems like there is more availability for FD at Pop. I was able to get FD for my days so we moved from ASSp back to Pop.

I think there are king bed in all the buildings, but most of them are HC accessible. I don't know when you last checked, but it seems like there is more availability for FD at Pop. I was able to get FD for my days so we moved from ASSp back to Pop.

Yes thankyou I did see that! But it would cost a bit more to switch back and being Australian I couldn't justify the foreign transaction fees on top of the extra cost. I don't really mind the difference anyways since we plan on being at the parks most the time. I would just really prefer a king with my bed-hog husband but I guess we can have a bed each haha! :joker:

UPDATE: I was actually able to change from Sports to Caribbean Beach Resort with free dining and still save $160US over my original POP reservation!!

Last edited:
If it was just DH and me, I would switch ours to Pop too in a heartbeat. But Mom's with us and she's kind of set on saving a little, so we are going to give ASports a try, who knows, maybe we'll love it like we do Pop. Seeing everyone switching is making me have a itchy clicking finger...wanting to check our dates for Pop :rotfl:Trying to resist. Must resist....

If it was just DH and me, I would switch ours to Pop too in a heartbeat. But Mom's with us and she's kind of set on saving a little, so we are going to give ASports a try, who knows, maybe we'll love it like we do Pop. Seeing everyone switching is making me have a itchy clicking finger...wanting to check our dates for Pop Trying to resist. Must resist....

Every time I price out Pop Century vs. an All-Stars, that $10 per night extra for Pop really adds up...I'd love to stay at Pop again, but I like saving the money for something else.

If it was just DH and me, I would switch ours to Pop too in a heartbeat. But Mom's with us and she's kind of set on saving a little, so we are going to give ASports a try, who knows, maybe we'll love it like we do Pop. Seeing everyone switching is making me have a itchy clicking finger...wanting to check our dates for Pop :rotfl:Trying to resist. Must resist....

We are staying at ASSp, we have stayed at Pop our previous 3 trips, I saw a standard room at Pop available and debated swithcing, but my son, who loves Pop, said to stay put. He wanted to try a new place. So we are not switching. The difference isn't too much, $130 for 12 nights, however in reality that is a few suvies or quite a few treats, a couple sit down meals for the 3 of us, etc.

I'm staying at Sports May 21-24 and May 28-31. When I did online check-in, I picked the Home Run section because I love baseball. I just went into my reservation to update the credit card and that selection is gone. Now it says Landscape View instead. Anyone know if the original selection will be honored or am I just at the luck of the draw now?

I'm staying at Sports May 21-24 and May 28-31. When I did online check-in, I picked the Home Run section because I love baseball. I just went into my reservation to update the credit card and that selection is gone. Now it says Landscape View instead. Anyone know if the original selection will be honored or am I just at the luck of the draw now?

For piece of mind, I would call the Main Reservations line and ask the phone CM to read off any room requests on your reservation. If they tell you Home Run Section, then you're good to go. If not, then the CM can add it for you.

okay, looking at the food court menu, is the Create-Your-Own Chicken Burger with choice of Cucumber Salad, Coleslaw, or French Fries the same as the pop chicken burger? that one was very good last year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter