DisneyQuest? Worth it? or pass?

Tinkerbellerella84

Mouseketeer
My hubby loves video games etc, his bday falls during the trip and family going is going to watch the kids a couple nights during the trip so was thinking of taking him there? If it isn't worth it whats fun for 2 adults on a date night? lol. Thanks in advance!

Me and my husband are huge dorks. We love all video games and all kinds of old-school stuff. So, in a nutshell, we love it there. We usually don't go just because we'll end up blowing about a day (and we go every year) if you let us, but we drop in every couple years when we hear of new developments.

As far as food, it's basically all quick-service fare if I can remember. Nothing to write home about, standard Disney stuff. Eat at DTD before you go in if you want something quality.

If he's huge on retro games, definitely go. They have arcade cabinets and those old-school seated motorcycle/racing games out the ears. There's a few more interactive ones, like "hockey" that uses your body movement to move the puck, some VR cooperative play, a river rafting game (I always suck at it but it doesn't stop me), the Pirates of the Caribbean sim, and a variation on bumper cars. They also have an art of animation studio there that's done mostly digitally if you want to doodle. I even did my bachelorette party there and not all of my bridesmaids are dorks but we all had a blast. the Pirates and Buzz Lightyear (bumper cars) ones are really popular, and the river one simulates kayaking a bit so you can get a workout too. XD

Everything is paid for with admission with the exception of games in which you can win a prize (so claw games or similar). My husband spends hours at a time playing older arcade games while I doodle at the Animation Station or people-watch.

If you do NOT like arcades, ONLY like modern systems (eg: Playstations, Xbox, Wii), have a limited type of games he likes (eg: FPS or Sports), want a traditionally romantic atmosphere, or think that it will only keep him entertained for about 2 hours, then don't go. As a couple, my husband and I won't even try to go unless we have more than 4 hours, or we feel like we didn't get to play enough. When we took a friend who was less enthused (he hated anything retro it turned out), he started complaining about an hour in and sat around pointedly looking bored while we played old Donkey Kong and Pac-Man or raced in a VR Magic Carpet game. So it really depends on his specific game tastes, and your tolerance thereof.

--

If video games are NOT your thing (and you both have to be OK since it's a date, lol) and you want a fun 'adult' date, instead try Jellyrolls or the Atlantic Dance Hall, both located on the Boardwalk resort. It might be tricky getting back to your 'home' resort if you stay long, but it can be well worth it. I've never done the Dance Hall since, well, we don't dance, but I've always heard awesome things about it. Jellyrolls is a dueling piano bar that take suggestions (you're more likely to get yours played if you leave a huge tip) with only minimal snacks on hand. Eat before you go unless you want to end up passed out. XD We we went, the duelists were fantastic about playing a variety of songs and encouraging the energy there. Both areas have an entry fee, will ask for your ID, and drink charges are separate. Both are LOUD. I have tinnitus and I wished I'd brought earplugs, but I had a blast and sang along anyway.

Want something more traditionally more romantic? Go for one of the nicer restaurants either in the parks or at a resort. Most deluxe resorts have high-end restaurants in them. The reviews on the site here have almost never led me wrong. You can easily find something in your price range by browsing. Depending on the time of year, you can also get horse and carriage rides, paddle boats (obviously not at night), or other activities at varying resort locations. If you go during Food and Wine, make a little hit list and work your way down it one evening. Share a portion of whatever you want to taste or drink-- you'll get full in no time! And France is always a great place to scrounge a seat and have a relaxing chat.

Hope something in here helps!
- G

I am a DH- and play video games, too. DQ isn't worth it IMHO. Much better things to do on a date night. It is nice you are thinking of him, but depending on the types of games he plays I think he might find it underwhelming- unless he is still playing on an older system. The current games that are out makes DQ look very dated- which it is. I agree with a PP about Jellyrolls- fun spot to go- and while there you can check out the rest of the Boardwalk.

So we love it, but really only because of Cyber SpaceMountain (it both of my kids' favorite ride in all of WDW) and the pirate ride. Lots of older video games if you like that kind of stuff.

If Old School video games are fun for you (like they are for me) you should go. The Pirates of the Caribbean game is still a great attraction!

Just a heads up. Disney has announced that Disney Quest will be closing sometime in 2016. No official date has been released. It may be your first and last chance to experience it before it closes, if retro syle video games are your thing.

Pirates at DQ is amazingly awesome - so much fun for a group. We love DQ - one trip we spent 2 full days, another trip we spent 1 full day. We're not too picky about our arcade games - we like the old school stuff just as well as the more normal stuff...don't need the latest and greatest. My fave game is Let's Go Jungle and DQ is the only place I can play for 30 mins (and play all the levels) without feeling guilty that I am hogging the machine.

There's plenty of racing games, sports games, etc etc. All stuff we find in our regular arcades at home. My DD isn't into video games much but she likes the games like the jump rope thing, stuff like Cyber Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, and the animation area.

I am bummed about the closure. Doesn't look like we will be able fit it into our plans before it closes for good.

I'm still mad about them taking out the arcade games in Space Mountain, I don't understand what the deal was with that and the double standard with Disney Quest

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter